Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:41:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... 76 »
  Print  
Author Topic: LinuxCoin A lightweight Debian based OS with everything ready to go.  (Read 285063 times)
Coma

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 07:57:37 PM

can anyone help me with this?

Exception in thread Thread-2:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/threading.py", line 532, in __bootstrap_inner
    self.run()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/threading.py", line 484, in run
    self.__target(*self.__args, **self.__kwargs)
  File "/opt/miners/poclbm/BitcoinMiner.py", line 272, in miningThread
    self.loadKernel()
  File "/opt/miners/poclbm/BitcoinMiner.py", line 373, in loadKernel
    binaryW = open(cacheName, 'wb')
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'a1e83b97617e24d438cfc4107fb4f147.elf'

i am using a USB stick, this is the first time i have tried linux and cant figure out how to get the miners started, everythin gelse seems to be working great, it has to be the fastest and easiest install of an OS ever, i just cat get the miners running

is there a UI to get miners started for linux?  seems insane i have to type in all my account, server, flags, etc.. for each miner every time i want to get this started.  what takes me 10 min of typing in archaic strings of text takes me 1 second in windows  to start up an app.

(i do not want to run windows anymore so i am trying to learn this stuff)

thanks

Had that same problem, seems to be a file permission problem. I fixed CHMODing the whole miners directory and all its contents.
That's not the right thing to do, but will get your miners running.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jonnynogood

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 08:00:21 PM

sorry but i dont really have any idea what any of that means... im coming from a mac background a week of mining with windows and i dont want that anymore so trying linuxcoin out

does this have anything to do with the install on the USB memory stick?

also what is the root password on this install?  i tried to save a file to a partition on the drive but it would not let me because i did not have access.

the password for SSH in the first post here didnt work

also how do change the date and time?
Coma

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 08:32:48 PM

sorry but i dont really have any idea what any of that means... im coming from a mac background a week of mining with windows and i dont want that anymore so trying linuxcoin out

does this have anything to do with the install on the USB memory stick?

also what is the root password on this install?  i tried to save a file to a partition on the drive but it would not let me because i did not have access.

the password for SSH in the first post here didnt work

also how do change the date and time?

Had the date time problem too, luckly for me I had a linux expert/friend to help me on site.

But the pemissions problem I solved it with this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chmod

That should get you mining right now.
Ibisy

Activity: 12

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 09:08:08 PM

Sorry guys I'm really bogged down with work and compiling the final version of linuxcoin. I will start answering questions once the final version is released. The final version is coming along nicely and will have some great features like a pxe server so you can boot several machines from one USB stick + much more. I'll try and keep everyone posted as I go along.

Its going to be a small wait for the final version as I'm trying to make this as distro like as possible and much more user friendly. I'm looking for people to help out for a cut of the donations. If you have some spare time and would like to make linuxcoin awesome please PM me. Any help is greatly appreciated !!

PS: Thanks guys for all the donations !! 

This are some great news Grin Cant wait to try the final version. Good luck Smiley
ptshamrock

Activity: 484
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 09:18:44 PM

Hey guys! i am bothering u allw ay too often :Grin

but i really have the feeling i am nesar lol

i have a problem @ numer 11 !

i have used the command mkfs.ext4 /dev/sddb2 -L live-rw

but it say always no such file or direcoty..device dont exist make sure u sepcified it correczly

i did all the steps one by one a few times beginning with using diskpart

everything worked fine (I used fat32)..but then

can it have to do with fat32??  how can i change it to linux partition??
thank u very much ! i really want to start mining ..and secure the network !

"Money needs to be depoliticized, and the time has come for the separation of money and state to be accomplished."
ptshamrock

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 09:27:13 PM

i am donating my second Smiley mined btc to the person helping me out ..should come in about 2hrs after start! really i want to fire 17000mhash here within the next hrs maximum...after this is solved i ghost it..and just change all to static ip and i am ready to go!  i am nearly there!

or could somebody even post me an finished iso?? and tell me the proggie which i MUST use to write it on usb ! that would be worth a 5BTC bounty for me ! really!

"Money needs to be depoliticized, and the time has come for the separation of money and state to be accomplished."
ptshamrock

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 09:31:51 PM

i had somebody wanting to help me..he even teached me to install tiemviewer ROFLMAO

but on his TV everything was black Sad 4x5870 maybe because of graphics drivers?

ptshamrock

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 09:32:27 PM

or ubuntu screencast

seeARMS @ Bit-Bank
Copper Member

Activity: 62

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2011, 10:34:09 PM

I've been playing around with this for a few days and it's been great - able to overclock both my GPUs on my 5970, increase fan speeds, and easily run the miner.

However, I've been encountering one problem - I've been unable to run my computer for longer than a day. It seems every 7 hours or so the GPU locks up and the computer becomes unresponsive. I'm going to try underclocking by 100MHz and see if it gives me the same problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
I decreased the clock speed 100MHz on both my GPUs and it locked up about 3 hours later :/
Anyone have a solution?
I'm running a 600W PSU, Radeon 5970, and a very old AMD-Semperon-based system with 512MB RAM.
ptshamrock

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 10:39:51 PM

Bounty taken !

Thank u all !

CoinSpeculator

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 10:57:31 PM

but it say always no such file or direcoty..device dont exist make sure u sepcified it correczly

I believe that is your problem.  For most of us this will be a single letter.  For me it was an a.

To the other poster that keeps locking up... Have you disabled the screensaver?  That seems to cause the most problems for me (Preferences > Screensaver>Mode:Disabled)
seeARMS @ Bit-Bank
Copper Member

Activity: 62

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2011, 11:19:07 PM

I believe that is your problem.  For most of us this will be a single letter.  For me it was an a.

To the other poster that keeps locking up... Have you disabled the screensaver?  That seems to cause the most problems for me (Preferences > Screensaver>Mode:Disabled)
No, I have not. :O
Will do, thanks a lot. I'll give it a try.
Slasklitta

Activity: 53

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 02:57:36 AM

Not working.. Not even booting up
sebdude420

Activity: 397
Merit: 350

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2011, 08:02:09 AM

i have never used linux for anything other then with unetbootin and damnsmalllinux to see if a computer would boot up.

this program took me about an hour to figure out how to use. read the thread on my laptop and tried everything until i eventually figured the fenix miner and pooling.

right now i have my old shitty emachines desktop which i gutted. all that was left was the mobo/ram/motherboard. atleast the motehrboard is an intel and will last for awhile, also the cpu is a core2duo i thinks, and dd2 ram 1gb. i went and bought a 700watt coolmax modular psu  and a msi 6870 for about 250 together. 

the mouse gets a little slow when running the application, but its barely enough to be able to use the comptuer to close the miner window. so thats okay for now i guess.

i am making 292 mhash/sec
old emachines hardware.
+new 6870 and 700watt psu.

when i get some coinage ill send you some over. thanks for the great job. keep it up and ill send you more coins with each good update!

OG Bitcoin Miner turned Proof of Stake Validator.
Maxed out Raspberry Pi 4 8GB at 120$ a Day Revenue with ~15K XTZ Bonds in Summer of 2021.
Looking at Proof of Stake systems all across the crypto ecosystem to expand operations.
mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 09:04:04 AM

This could be a lifesaver for me, and I will definitely donate if someone can get a copy of this patched to work with the Intel Wifi on my laptop, as well as the ExpressCard slot.

First off, the wireless chip is installed internally, and it's the Intel Wireless Wifi Link 4965AGN (pretty standard).  To give you a Linux place to refer to, my wireless works just fine when booting off of a Knoppix CD, so I know that the driver has got to be out there for this somewhere.

Secondly, as I said, I'm curious to know if anyone has gotten their ExpressCard slot working with this? That will be the final piece to the puzzle for me.

Thanks!
ptshamrock

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 11:12:26 AM

so finally i got my stuff working ! thx to u guys & thx to the bounty hunters Cheesy

last problem Cheesy

linuxcoin now save changes !

but somehow on every boot the opt/network/interfaces is overwritten by the default !!!!

so i have to change it manually everytime ! anyone can help out?

also ..can anyone post me back to the post wich explained how to clone them?

thank u very much! this communiuty is awesome !

Ronin

Activity: 49

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2011, 11:25:51 AM

I also think that LinuxCoin project is great and after first successful bitcoin mining using it, I'll definitely donate.

However, there are still serious issues with "FATAL kernel error: Failed to load OpenCL kernel!". Really .. there is something wrong with that. Sometimes I'm able to mine when I'm running it with the fresh default mode, but also in some cases even this doesn't work and I got the same error message. When I work with persistence I have this error almost always. I was testing it many times, with different USB sticks, different installations and so on. Still looks like it's not working properly. Unfortunately with this fatal unstability, LinuxCoin is totally unusable for me Sad.

Btw. the terminal transparent background is totally unreadable, especially with gray font color. Every time, the first thing which I do using LinuxCoin, is changing its settings. I suggest dark background and lime font color.
Also confirmation of AMD license agreements every time also is extremely annoying as someone has mentioned earlier.

Generally LinuxCoin it's great but once again with "FATAL kernel error: Failed to load OpenCL kernel!" error, I'm seriously thinking about switching to Ubuntu or in worst case to Windows Wink.
And last question. How to get persistence of LinuxCoin settings. It persists only files & selected settings changes. For instance it’s not persisting background image or terminal settings. At least not always.
drgr33n (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 03:19:26 PM

I got PXE booting working with Serva32 for a Windows XP box acting as the DHCP, TFTP, and HTTP server and set all working directories for those services to c:\tftpboot

I set the boot file option to 'pxelinux.0' in Serva32's DHCP options along with all the standard ip address stuff.

Then I extracted the vmlinuz and initrd from the linuxcoin-v0.2.iso and put them and the iso file in the PXE server in 'c:\tftpboot'

From a booted linuxcoin install I ran;

apt-get update
apt-get install syslinux

Then I grabbed the linux netboot load from '/usr/lib/syslinux/pxelinux.0' and copied it to 'C:\tftpboot' on the Windows XP Serva32 machine.

Then I created a directory called 'C:\tftpboot\pxelinux.cfg\' and put a file in it called 'default'. I think it is important that this file is in unix text format, aka notepad screws it up.

DEFAULT pxeboot
TIMEOUT 20
PROMPT 0
LABEL pxeboot
   KERNEL vmlinuz
   APPEND initrd=initrd.img boot=live fetch=http://192.168.1.254/linuxcoin-v0.2a.iso config splash rw vga=791
ONERROR LOCALBOOT 0

I used the 'fetch' boot option as downloading the ISO to RAM over HTTP is waaaaay faster than TFTP. I usually get 30-40MB/sec from my T61 laptop over Gigabit. Takes 10-20 seconds to download and boots. Works great, no more USB sticks!

If this helps you out a donation would be nice Wink I would sure have paid for this information ... took me all day. I wrestled with embedding the iso in the initrd image and downloading the whole thing over TFTP ... but this was slow ... 14MB/sec tops and it didn't work, the init scripts don't check for an iso in the root of the directory and init script hacking was necessary. This method works out of the box with a stock iso image!

You need to turn the LAN ROM option to "Enabled" in the motherboard BIOS.

What I would like to see is linuxcoin booting up with mini-httpd, tftp and udhcpd all running as a pxe boot server. So if you had 5 machines running and if any machine went down it would come back up and boot from the first linuxcoin neighboring machine that replied. The udhcpd server would arp ping an IP before it assigns it and would automatically resolve any IP conflicts since all the machines would be offering leases on the same range. It would be pretty cool! Self healing linuxcoin cluster Wink

Plus I just clocked booting from a linuxcoin box from mini-httpd over gigabit and got an astounding 112MB/sec!!!! Theoretical gigabit max, I've never seen that before! Downloaded the iso in 6 seconds and booted. So it would be a really fast self healing cluster. I agree there needs to be some sort of watchdog if a machine gets locked up hard. Although that requires an expensive addressable power strip.

Donations

1F5Di5txDUTB6CAXWyeaqtHY9oEAPhisae

Just wanted to say LinuxCoin final will support this out of the box Wink You will have a boot menu option to boot as a pxe server and start the bitcoin daemon for solo mining.

Everything else is being looked into and fixed for the final version guys !! Glad to see some are helping other out with problems. all this info will be transferred over to the wiki Wink
mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 07:11:29 PM

This could be a lifesaver for me, and I will definitely donate if someone can get a copy of this patched to work with the Intel Wifi on my laptop, as well as the ExpressCard slot.

First off, the wireless chip is installed internally, and it's the Intel Wireless Wifi Link 4965AGN (pretty standard).  To give you a Linux place to refer to, my wireless works just fine when booting off of a Knoppix CD, so I know that the driver has got to be out there for this somewhere.

Secondly, as I said, I'm curious to know if anyone has gotten their ExpressCard slot working with this? That will be the final piece to the puzzle for me.

Thanks!

It detects the name of the Wifi hardware when you run lspci, so maybe it already supports mine and I'm just not experienced enough to configure it?  If it was working, should it not show up in the system tray and show wifi networks that are broadcasting, or does one have to set that up manually?

Anyway, more importantly is the ExpressCard slot.  I tested out running my DIY ViDock (External Graphics Card setup) on it, and it won't boot into X. See the following thread for info on what it is: http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphics-cards/418851-egpu-experiences.html

People have gotten it to work in Linux, but I don't know enough about Linux configuration at the moment to get it to work. Any built-in support would be great!
sunbreak

Activity: 107
Merit: 30

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 07:57:47 PM

Oh oh .... and correct me if I'm wrong but xscreensaver has no place in this image. Everytime I notice my hash rate is down it is because I forgot to kill xscreensaver.

- sunbreak
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... 76 »
  Print  

Jump to: