Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 07:49:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 ... 76 »
  Print  
Author Topic: LinuxCoin A lightweight Debian based OS with everything ready to go.  (Read 285063 times)
bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

rippleFanatic

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 08:47:56 AM

However, there are still serious issues with "FATAL kernel error: Failed to load OpenCL kernel!". Really .. there is something wrong with that.

Use a root terminal.  Do these commands:

cd /opt/AMD-APP-SDK-v2.4-lnx64/
tar -xvf icd-registration.tgz -C /

Secondly, this one:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/AMD-APP-SDK-v2.4-lnx64/lib/x86_64

Then run the miner.

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nixxle

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 12:22:21 PM

Interesting stuff.

Couldn't get my two 5830's working (using crossfire link) in Windows XP, so I went back to Linuxcoin. There, they both work like a charm.

However, I can't figure out how to use AMDOverdriveCtrl from the command line.

In AMDOverdriveCtrl GUI, I can only adjust the primary adapter, there is no option to switch adapters.

When I start it up with -i 3 ( to select adapter 3), it resets the primary adapter back to normal.

How do I command this:
amdoverdrivectrl -i 3 "set gpu to 900 plz, thnx"

Huh
Folax

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 12:26:34 PM
Last edit: June 15, 2011, 02:00:28 PM by Folax

However, there are still serious issues with "FATAL kernel error: Failed to load OpenCL kernel!". Really .. there is something wrong with that.

Use a root terminal.  Do these commands:

cd /opt/AMD-APP-SDK-v2.4-lnx64/
tar -xvf icd-registration.tgz -C /

Secondly, this one:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/AMD-APP-SDK-v2.4-lnx64/lib/x86_64

Then run the miner.

Thank you for your help, this works!
You need to do this in the same terminal, do not close it and open a new one for mining, IN THE SAME ONE!

Other than that this is my 2nd linuxcoin rig.  first one is 4x 5830's.  Worked flawlessy in minutes (maybe an hour)
whoever says getting linuxcoin to run is hard, obviously is not even familiar enough with windows, so probably should dodge linux altogether.....
that is coming from an avid windows users and a linux novice.  what parts are you guys having so much trouble with.  An easy windows tool to delete the partition and make a small first partition is EASEUS Partition Manager.  It is completely free for home use.  GPARTED is also another great program, just boot from the disc and make your two partitions.
Well, Sir, Windows Disk manager does not allow you to delete a partition from a USB stick, however Partition Manager does.
However, Partition Manager is not able to create a new partition on the USB stick, but luckily Windows Disk Manager is.
But...
You can only create one single partition, and that is not what you need.

So although I appreciate the fact that you take the time to point out that people who do not get the partions on the USB stick working are not really worth it, you probably did not use the tools you mentioned yourself, other than GPARTED.

For any of you that are having trouble getting multiple partitions using Windows:
http://www.pendriveapps.com/bootice-partition-flash-drive-edit-boot-sector/
This tool works (up to 4 partitions).

My GF thinks I'm useless, if you think otherwise and can proof it to her, please do so and donate:
14wG6u2bAD9q1nLmLL9MST1ZzbTE9Pt8nG
Departure

Activity: 1204
Merit: 288

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 12:41:27 PM

I would love to see an installer to HD for this distro, are you going to plan to make an installer also?

I would be willing to pay for a installation of this distro,
Coma

Activity: 140

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 01:18:10 PM

However, I can't figure out how to use AMDOverdriveCtrl from the command line.

In AMDOverdriveCtrl GUI, I can only adjust the primary adapter, there is no option to switch adapters.

When I start it up with -i 3 ( to select adapter 3), it resets the primary adapter back to normal.

How do I command this:
amdoverdrivectrl -i 3 "set gpu to 900 plz, thnx"

Huh

aticonfig --od-enable
aticonfig --odgc
(that's to get clocks)
aticonfig --odsc=0,0
(that's to set clocks)

An so on...

I would love to see an installer to HD for this distro, are you going to plan to make an installer also?

I would be willing to pay for a installation of this distro,
niccyb

Activity: 10

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 01:58:49 PM

Hi all,

Using Linuxcoin on five boxes at the mo and think it's great.

Installed on 2GB USB sticks with 1GB for the image and 1GB as persistent storage.

I have worked out how to start AMDOverdriveCtrl (to load the correct fan profile) and the miners automatically on boot, but cannot work out how to get the initial boot to default to starting with persistent storage - consequently every reboot requires manual intervention.

Is there an easy way to set the default boot option to be the "Linuxcoin (persistent)" one?

I have looked through the boot menu structure (seemingly at /isolinux/live.cfg on the ISO) and it would seem to indicate that the default is to boot the persistent version....
Code:
default LinuxCoin_persistent
however, this is not what I am seeing - after it boots the default option, /dev/sda2 is mounted on /media/live-rw rather than /live/cow (which is where it's mounted if I explicitly select the persistent option) and tmpfs is mounted on /live/cow.

Anybody any ideas?

Cheers and thank you,

Niccy.
Folax

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 02:53:11 PM

Since I've used both linuxcoin-v0.1b-ati-usb.iso and linuxcoin-v0.2a.iso on the same hardware I can report that on v0.1b I got about 5% higher hashrates.
I had installed phatk 1.0 myself to mine with Phoenix, not sure yet what makes the difference if it's not that.

My 2nd GPU hashrates are less stable on v0.2a than they were on v0.1b too.

My GF thinks I'm useless, if you think otherwise and can proof it to her, please do so and donate:
evlew

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 06:41:44 PM

Well, Sir, Windows Disk manager does not allow you to delete a partition from a USB stick, however Partition Manager does.
However, Partition Manager is not able to create a new partition on the USB stick, but luckily Windows Disk Manager is.
But...
You can only create one single partition, and that is not what you need.

So although I appreciate the fact that you take the time to point out that people who do not get the partions on the USB stick working are not really worth it, you probably did not use the tools you mentioned yourself, other than GPARTED.

For any of you that are having trouble getting multiple partitions using Windows:
http://www.pendriveapps.com/bootice-partition-flash-drive-edit-boot-sector/
This tool works (up to 4 partitions).

You are welcome.  And you are quite mistaken.  Perhaps that is my fault for lacking details.  I actually did use Partition Manager.  I delete the partition which takes up the whole drive.  I then create one new fat32 partition big enough for the iso to fit on.  And I leave the rest blank and then follow the steps on the original post.  The one that says, if you are having a having difficulty with persistence follow this link.... It walks you right through how to create the second partition with persistence.  One thing it doesn't mention is having to reboot after creating the partition and creating the ext4 filesystem.  Perhaps there is a command u can use to avoid the reboot, but I am not familiar with it if it does exist.  Creating the second partition inside linuxcoin is the easiest way.  Partition manager will only help with the first partition.  You could optionally use gparted to create the second partition. 

I'm not sure what you meant by Partition Manager is not able to create a new parition on the USB stick....  It absolutely can... just not ext4 partitions
TheMoneyStorm

Activity: 54

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 06:54:22 PM

Hi all,

Using Linuxcoin on five boxes at the mo and think it's great.

Installed on 2GB USB sticks with 1GB for the image and 1GB as persistent storage.

I have worked out how to start AMDOverdriveCtrl (to load the correct fan profile) and the miners automatically on boot, but cannot work out how to get the initial boot to default to starting with persistent storage - consequently every reboot requires manual intervention.

Is there an easy way to set the default boot option to be the "Linuxcoin (persistent)" one?

I have looked through the boot menu structure (seemingly at /isolinux/live.cfg on the ISO) and it would seem to indicate that the default is to boot the persistent version....
Code:
default LinuxCoin_persistent
however, this is not what I am seeing - after it boots the default option, /dev/sda2 is mounted on /media/live-rw rather than /live/cow (which is where it's mounted if I explicitly select the persistent option) and tmpfs is mounted on /live/cow.

Anybody any ideas?

Cheers and thank you,

Niccy.

You edit syslinux.cfg under /live/image for the boot menu
niccyb

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 07:05:10 PM

You edit syslinux.cfg under /live/image for the boot menu
Doh!

Thank you very much.

Niccy.
Folax

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 07:27:57 PM

I'm not sure what you meant by Partition Manager is not able to create a new parition on the USB stick....  It absolutely can... just not ext4 partitions
After I deleted the (only) partition on the USB drive in PM and opened the "create partition wizard" the USB drive was not in the list of drives, at the start of the wizard it is mentioned that not all drives are suitable for getting a partition created because 4 primary partitions already existed (I cannot remember exactly what it said, and the USB drive is in use now for mining) but it would not even show the device in the list, and therefore did not allow me to create a partition on it.

To my surprise Windows Disk Manager did allow me to create the partition but it was mentioned that only 1 partition could be created on removable devices (I think this is due to the fact that Windows can only handle 1 on such devices) and the size of this partition could only be the full available size of the drive.

I used the tool I posted earlier, which allowed me to create whatever I wanted.

mintymark

Activity: 286
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 07:42:20 PM

Ronin said:
> FATAL kernel error: Failed to load OpenCL kernel!". Really .. there is something wrong with that.

Yes, there is, and I think it is this.

As it stands you need to have public write access for all the directories that include .py files so

cd /opt/miners
sudo chmod -R a+w phoenix
sudo chmod -R a+w poclbm

Possibly DiabloMiner as well, I havent tried it.

I think this is because python likes to precompile an executable into the same directory as the source code.

Its not good that you need public write access and perhaps there is a better solution, but its the one I found.

There are 2 ways to run python files like xxx.py

./xxx.py
or
python ./xxx.py

The latter possibly also gets round this problem but for me is undesirable.

[[ All Tips gratefully received!!  ]]
15ta5d1N8mKkgC47SRWmnZABEFyP55RrqD
evlew

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 01:22:45 AM

After I deleted the (only) partition on the USB drive in PM and opened the "create partition wizard" the USB drive was not in the list of drives, at the start of the wizard it is mentioned that not all drives are suitable for getting a partition created because 4 primary partitions already existed (I cannot remember exactly what it said, and the USB drive is in use now for mining) but it would not even show the device in the list, and therefore did not allow me to create a partition on it.

Hmm.. Interesting.. I really did think this would be helpful for some people.  I never used the wizard before.  I just deleted the partition.  Right clicked the thumb drive, new partition, set it up for fat32 and changed the size.  Then click the check box for apply.  Maybe it had compatibilities with your stick or maybe the wizard has a glitch.  Weird..

Oh well, hopefully someone will find it program as useful as I have.
AngelusWebDesign

Activity: 392

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 02:11:20 AM

Is there going to be an i386 (32-bit) version of LinuxCoin?

I have a few old motherboards with Celeron 2.6 GHz -- the BIOS clearly reminds me that they are not 64-bit Smiley

I won't be able to run this on those machines, I guess.

max in montreal

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 04:26:11 AM

I am having another problem now.  If I boot the system and don't select a boot mode at the first screen and just let it time out on "default" it boots the non-persistent mode.  This is true even though the configuration file for the menu indicates that it should boot to persistent mode by default... so I'm trying to figure that out now.

you can delete all unused menu options in syslinux.cfg

I am new to linux, where can I find this file... Huh
evlew

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 05:45:26 AM

I am new to linux, where can I find this file... Huh

you can do this in windows with notepad.

just look at the main partition after you used unetbootin to extract the ISO to it.  that is where you will find that file.
harm

Activity: 238
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 02:39:37 PM
Last edit: June 16, 2011, 03:39:20 PM by harm

Code:
Hi,
I am getting the following error, when trying to start mining remotely with ssh:

[code]
user@linuxcoin:~$ sudo python /opt/miners/poclbm/poclbm.py --user=login.worker --pass=pwd --device=0 -o api.bitcoin.cz -p 8332 -v -w128
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/miners/poclbm/poclbm.py", line 27, in <module>
    platforms = cl.get_platforms()
pyopencl.LogicError: clGetPlatformIDs failed: invalid/unknown error code
user@linuxcoin:~$

# cd /opt/AMD-APP-SDK-v2.4-lnx64/bin/x86_64
 # ./clinfo

returns
Code:
user@linuxcoin:/opt/AMD-APP-SDK-v2.4-lnx64/bin/x86_64$ ./clinfo 
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'cl::Error'
  what():  clGetPlatformIDs
Aborted
user@linuxcoin:/opt/AMD-APP-SDK-v2.4-lnx64/bin/x86_64$

# export DISPLAY=:0
doesn't work neither...

Start mining locally is no problem at all.
Can anyone help??

Cheers,
Harm

EDIT:
Found the solution myself:
After each start one has to accept amds licensing aggreement again. As i booted headless i did not accept them...

QUESTION:
can i accept the licens remotely with ssh? VNC would be an idee, but i would like to do that with ssh...
Can I persist changes to the system?[/code]
max in montreal

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 05:08:16 PM

I am trying to create persistance but having a few problems. on my usb drive i see sda1 and sda2, but when i try to format sda2 i get the message that sda2 is mounted; will not make filesystem here.

if someone can help me out in getting this to work, im willing to give them 1btc.
niccyb

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 05:36:42 PM

I am trying to create persistance but having a few problems. on my usb drive i see sda1 and sda2, but when i try to format sda2 i get the message that sda2 is mounted; will not make filesystem here.
So /dev/sda2 was probably already formatted and has been automatically mounted...

Open up a terminal window and su to root:
Code:
sudo su -
Then check where it's currently mounted:
Code:
df
You should see /dev/sda2 mounted under /media/somethingorother. Unmount it:
Code:
umount /media/somethingorother
(obviously replacing as appropriate). Then format the partition:
Code:
mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda2 -L live-rw
Then reboot into persistent mode (don't just type 'reboot', that won't do it - you'll probably need to power-cycle the box). Et voila, it should all be there!!
1btc
1Ju5JU9ujukKDk8zaxxMa4xf2c3UGGUuSk if it pleases you  Wink
max in montreal

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 05:42:44 PM

ok im on it...1 sec...

all done, rebooting in persistant...

to check all I have to do is change the background and reboot, see if the change stuck?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 ... 76 »
  Print  

Jump to: