Bitcoin Forum
December 10, 2016, 06:50:44 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.13.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ... 76 »
  Print  
Author Topic: LinuxCoin A lightweight Debian based OS with everything ready to go.  (Read 271956 times)
mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1395

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 07:11:29 PM

This could be a lifesaver for me, and I will definitely donate if someone can get a copy of this patched to work with the Intel Wifi on my laptop, as well as the ExpressCard slot.

First off, the wireless chip is installed internally, and it's the Intel Wireless Wifi Link 4965AGN (pretty standard).  To give you a Linux place to refer to, my wireless works just fine when booting off of a Knoppix CD, so I know that the driver has got to be out there for this somewhere.

Secondly, as I said, I'm curious to know if anyone has gotten their ExpressCard slot working with this? That will be the final piece to the puzzle for me.

Thanks!

It detects the name of the Wifi hardware when you run lspci, so maybe it already supports mine and I'm just not experienced enough to configure it?  If it was working, should it not show up in the system tray and show wifi networks that are broadcasting, or does one have to set that up manually?

Anyway, more importantly is the ExpressCard slot.  I tested out running my DIY ViDock (External Graphics Card setup) on it, and it won't boot into X. See the following thread for info on what it is: http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphics-cards/418851-egpu-experiences.html

People have gotten it to work in Linux, but I don't know enough about Linux configuration at the moment to get it to work. Any built-in support would be great!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
sunbreak

Activity: 60

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 07:32:33 PM

I got PXE booting working with Serva32 for a Windows XP box acting as the DHCP, TFTP, and HTTP server and set all working directories for those services to c:\tftpboot

I set the boot file option to 'pxelinux.0' in Serva32's DHCP options along with all the standard ip address stuff.

Then I extracted the vmlinuz and initrd from the linuxcoin-v0.2.iso and put them and the iso file in the PXE server in 'c:\tftpboot'

From a booted linuxcoin install I ran;

apt-get update
apt-get install syslinux

Then I grabbed the linux netboot load from '/usr/lib/syslinux/pxelinux.0' and copied it to 'C:\tftpboot' on the Windows XP Serva32 machine.

Then I created a directory called 'C:\tftpboot\pxelinux.cfg\' and put a file in it called 'default'. I think it is important that this file is in unix text format, aka notepad screws it up.

DEFAULT pxeboot
TIMEOUT 20
PROMPT 0
LABEL pxeboot
   KERNEL vmlinuz
   APPEND initrd=initrd.img boot=live fetch=http://192.168.1.254/linuxcoin-v0.2a.iso config splash rw vga=791
ONERROR LOCALBOOT 0

I used the 'fetch' boot option as downloading the ISO to RAM over HTTP is waaaaay faster than TFTP. I usually get 30-40MB/sec from my T61 laptop over Gigabit. Takes 10-20 seconds to download and boots. Works great, no more USB sticks!

If this helps you out a donation would be nice Wink I would sure have paid for this information ... took me all day. I wrestled with embedding the iso in the initrd image and downloading the whole thing over TFTP ... but this was slow ... 14MB/sec tops and it didn't work, the init scripts don't check for an iso in the root of the directory and init script hacking was necessary. This method works out of the box with a stock iso image!

You need to turn the LAN ROM option to "Enabled" in the motherboard BIOS.

What I would like to see is linuxcoin booting up with mini-httpd, tftp and udhcpd all running as a pxe boot server. So if you had 5 machines running and if any machine went down it would come back up and boot from the first linuxcoin neighboring machine that replied. The udhcpd server would arp ping an IP before it assigns it and would automatically resolve any IP conflicts since all the machines would be offering leases on the same range. It would be pretty cool! Self healing linuxcoin cluster Wink

Plus I just clocked booting from a linuxcoin box from mini-httpd over gigabit and got an astounding 112MB/sec!!!! Theoretical gigabit max, I've never seen that before! Downloaded the iso in 6 seconds and booted. So it would be a really fast self healing cluster. I agree there needs to be some sort of watchdog if a machine gets locked up hard. Although that requires an expensive addressable power strip.

Donations

1F5Di5txDUTB6CAXWyeaqtHY9oEAPhisae

Just wanted to say LinuxCoin final will support this out of the box Wink You will have a boot menu option to boot as a pxe server and start the bitcoin daemon for solo mining.

Everything else is being looked into and fixed for the final version guys !! Glad to see some are helping other out with problems. all this info will be transferred over to the wiki Wink

How about the LinuxCoin PXE self healing boot cluster. So all the machines are essentially boot servers covering for each other. udhcpd figures out IP conflicts automatically. The only trick I see is that you need to get the ISO onto the booted machine to boot from. I think the contents are currently being copied to RAM and then the iso is unmounted before the chroot.

Either way thanks for working on this I sent you a small donation, more to come as I earn it. Wink

BTW: I second the lxterminal.conf ... black background, bright green foreground. Even grey foreground is fine, but green is best for me.

Also could we get an option to download a file called '<mac-address>.sh' from a http server upon starting X and execute it? That way I can setup all my miner scripts on the http server and each time the machine boots it automatically starts my miners. Also nice if I want to change to a different pool, I edit the file on the server, reboot.

Thanks,
sunbreak

sunbreak

Activity: 60

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 07:57:47 PM

Oh oh .... and correct me if I'm wrong but xscreensaver has no place in this image. Everytime I notice my hash rate is down it is because I forgot to kill xscreensaver.

- sunbreak
SolarSilver
Legendary

Activity: 989

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 11:18:21 PM

Oh oh .... and correct me if I'm wrong but xscreensaver has no place in this image. Everytime I notice my hash rate is down it is because I forgot to kill xscreensaver.

Can we set the screensaver to just 'blank screen' by default?
nixxle

Activity: 48

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 05:52:02 PM

If I don't click the " agree "  and " accept " dialogs at startup, I cannot start phoenix without this warning:

Code:
File "./phoenix.py", line 123, in <module>VECTORS BFI_INT WORKSIZE=128 AGGRESSION=
    miner.start(options)
  File "/opt/miners/phoenix/Miner.py", line 75, in start
    self.kernel = self.options.makeKernel(KernelInterface(self))
  File "./phoenix.py", line 112, in makeKernel
    self.kernel = kernelModule.MiningKernel(requester)
  File "kernels/poclbm/__init__.py", line 132, in __init__
    platforms = cl.get_platforms()

So, how do I "agree"  and "accept" these dialogs through ssh?
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 05:58:28 PM

Code:
cd /opt/AMD-APP-SDK-v2.4-lnx64/
tar xzvf icd-registration.tgz -C /

Or just use persistence so you only have to click it once.

p2pcoin: a USB/CD/PXE p2pool miner - 1N8ZXx2cuMzqBYSK72X4DAy1UdDbZQNPLf - todo
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
nixxle

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 06:06:09 PM

Code:
cd /opt/AMD-APP-SDK-v2.4-lnx64/
tar xzvf icd-registration.tgz -C /

Or just use persistence so you only have to click it once.

I was affraid it would come down to that. No commandline option or anything?
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 12:03:28 AM

I'm pretty sure the commands I listed will do what you need.

p2pcoin: a USB/CD/PXE p2pool miner - 1N8ZXx2cuMzqBYSK72X4DAy1UdDbZQNPLf - todo
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
sebdude420

Activity: 362

Bitcoin Hero

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2011, 06:24:36 AM

how do i lower the clock of my memory speed while in linux coin? amdoverdrive allows me to change it, BUT on the Info page it shows as 920 1050 being stock, and it being 1000/1050 after overclocking. how do i get the memory to go down?

this is an msi r6870.

will thro a coupl o bitcents at the person that goes out of their way to try and help me out.

thankz.

nixxle

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 08:15:49 AM

I'm pretty sure the commands I listed will do what you need.

I apologize, on my small android screen i overread your code part as a quote of my post. thanks! I'm sure your method will do the trick.
gigabytecoin

Activity: 280

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 05:47:28 PM

What version of phoenix miner is running on 0.2a Huh

I keep noticing the odd video card spit out problems according to phoenix miner... it takes between 1 and 30 minutes for the cards to come back online.

Anybody care to share the code for updating phoenix miner on linuxcoin with persistence?
gnukix

Activity: 13

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 11:25:50 PM

Just FYI, added a mirror on a host of mine at http://dl0.7td.org/pub/mirror/linuxcoin/linuxcoin-v0.2a.iso -- I also updated the page for linuxcoin in the wiki at https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/LinuxCoin

Drive on!

--------
 *Image Removed*
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1960

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2011, 12:11:19 AM

how do i lower the clock of my memory speed while in linux coin? amdoverdrive allows me to change it, BUT on the Info page it shows as 920 1050 being stock, and it being 1000/1050 after overclocking. how do i get the memory to go down?

this is an msi r6870.

will thro a coupl o bitcents at the person that goes out of their way to try and help me out.

thankz.

Sometimes the info page doesn't show the right data. Often a reboot of AMDOverdriveCtrl fixes it. From my own experience, what's shown on the overdrive tab is correct, on the Info tab not always correct.

On a related matter, using poclbm on a 6990 trying to underclock mem too far seems to increase heat rather than decrease it. I find lowest heat output at around 75 to 150 MHz less than the core clock. At, say, mem clock = half the core clock(eg 920/460) I get the same heat out for max mem clock. So if my 6990's are not abnormal and poclbm is not doing something wierd, *and* if the 6870 works in a similar fashion, I'd say don't downlock mem too far, it won't help your temps. And since temp ~ joules, it also means your electricity consumption isn't being improved either.

I have no idea why this might be the case.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
sebdude420

Activity: 362

Bitcoin Hero

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2011, 09:36:50 AM

+1 to you!

I found that in the info tab on the catalyst driver page has the correct info posted if you open it on after overclocking in overdrive. overdrive will keep the values incorrect but will make the changes. i found this out myself earlier today but thanks for replying to my post. i appreciate it. ill tip ya either way if ya want though. thanks again.

sebuh

thankz.
[/quote]

Sometimes the info page doesn't show the right data. Often a reboot of AMDOverdriveCtrl fixes it. From my own experience, what's shown on the overdrive tab is correct, on the Info tab not always correct.

[/quote]

ptshamrock

Activity: 479

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 10:05:30 AM

When will the final version be out?

i really will buy it ..i did not donate yet..because honestly ..I had 2 linux pros working @ it remote..but they both said linuxcoin (0.2a) is a pain in the ass Cheesy alone setting up persistance was really really weird..

we just had 3 days of continuing problems ..now it seems to work..but we still cannot get the phoenix running with it --

can it be that i got an extreme buggy version? also when using the mouse and i go off teh screen it rebbots?? thats happening often .(

maybe the developer can SSH on my machines to check it??

i really get crazy Cheesy but i think it`s a great projekt and I will buy the 1.0 version! any hints when it will come??

ohh btw ..i had to install on the computers ! i am running around 17ghash! just to show that i have a bit more administrative work than on one machine ^^

Cheers!

"Money needs to be depoliticized, and the time has come for the separation of money and state to be accomplished."
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2011, 11:37:42 AM

i appreciate it. ill tip ya either way if ya want though. thanks again.

Heh, mate a
+1 to you!
will do me nicely thank you.

So, notice any temp improvements at lower mem clocks?

GimEEE

Activity: 112

Ride or Die

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2011, 11:48:01 AM

i really will buy it ..i did not donate yet..because honestly ..I had 2 linux pros working @ it remote..but they both said linuxcoin (0.2a) is a pain in the ass Cheesy alone setting up persistance was really really weird..
we just had 3 days of continuing problems ..now it seems to work..but we still cannot get the phoenix running with it --
can it be that i got an extreme buggy version? also when using the mouse and i go off teh screen it rebbots?? thats happening often .(
i really get crazy Cheesy but i think it`s a great projekt and I will buy the 1.0 version! any hints when it will come??
ohh btw ..i had to install on the computers ! i am running around 17ghash! just to show that i have a bit more administrative work than on one machine ^^

Cheers!

I'd suggest after people spend 5 or 8 hours trying to get Linux Coin to work, go over to the Ubuntu page and follow the directions for mining on that, only takes about an hour or so to format a HDD and get a fresh copy of ubuntu mining.
The usb drive thing is novel, but far from "final product".
This post has a final end-userable product http://forum.bitcoin.org/?topic=7514.0
Also Eligius offers a no signup easy to access mining pool with coin generated directly to the miners.

The only way to make sure people you agree with can speak is to support the rights of people you don't agree with.
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2011, 12:48:14 PM

Cheers!

I'd suggest after people spend 5 or 8 hours trying to get Linux Coin to work, go over to the Ubuntu page and follow the directions for mining on that, only takes about an hour or so to format a HDD and get a fresh copy of ubuntu mining.
This post has a final end-userable product http://forum.bitcoin.org/?topic=7514.0
Also Eligius offers a no signup easy to access mining pool with coin generated directly to the miners.

1. 5 or 6 hours? Maybe one hour, and even then only because I'm shit at reading directions.
2. This is a distro in development. Ubuntu has been available for a looong time. Of course LinuxCoin is not a 'final product'.
3. Eligius? WTF has Luke Jr's pool got to do with anything?

markietalkie

Activity: 16

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 04:30:09 PM

Um, what is the root password? Right after creating persistence it says "Authentication is required to mount the device." - and obviously it isn't "live" nor "alpine".

*Link Removed*
drgr33n

Activity: 266

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 05:34:16 PM

Cheers!

Linux pro's ? LinuxCoin is debian live with a few extras Cheesy If they was linux pros they wouldn't find linuxcoin a pain at all Cheesy It has bugs but its not unusable. maybe you should have a word with your linux pro friends Cheesy

Sorry just had to say that Cheesy
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ... 76 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.