Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:40:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 »
  Print  
Author Topic: LinuxCoin A lightweight Debian based OS with everything ready to go.  (Read 285063 times)
Red Emerald

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2011, 01:04:37 AM

Is source for image creation available anywhere?  Seems author is no longer developing this.

I would like to take this project add cgminer, bring it to current version of debian and some other improvements.    Would rather not reinvent the wheel.
Did you try emailing the author? http://www.linuxcoin.co.uk/index.php?page=contact
Or maybe look at BitSafe (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=46916.20).  Both bitsafe and linuxcoin in that both are built on top of debian.

It is meant for secure wallet storage instead of mining, but there is no reason why you can't add mining utilities to it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
runeks
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2011, 11:22:13 PM

Sorry for bumping this after a month of no posts, but does anyone know if it's possible to install Bittorrent or uTorrent on this OS? I've tried, but either it's not possible or I don't know what I'm doing (probably the latter).

Any advice?
For uTorrent you would need WINE (since it's a Windows application). If available in the repositories, it should be installable using the below command, but substituting deluge for wine. I usually use a program called Deluge to manage my torrents. I don't know if it's available for installation on Linuxcoin, but if it is you could try installing it using the following command:

Code:
sudo apt-get install deluge

To run uTorrent using WINE, simply download the utorrent.exe executable, open up a command prompt, browse to the folder where you saved the download and run:

Code:
wine utorrent.exe
rockofages152

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 10, 2011, 03:50:43 AM

Code:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 deluge : Depends: deluge-gtk (= 1.2.3+git20110209.8c36830-0squeeze1) but it is not going to be installed
 wine : Depends: wine-bin (= 1.0.1-3.1) but it is not going to be installed
        Depends: wine-utils (= 1.0.1-3.1) but it is not going to be installed
        Depends: libwine-alsa (= 1.0.1-3.1) but it is not going to be installed or
                 libwine-oss (= 1.0.1-3.1) but it is not going to be installed or
                 libwine-esd (= 1.0.1-3.1) but it is not going to be installed or
                 libwine-jack (= 1.0.1-3.1) but it is not installable or
                 libwine-nas (= 1.0.1-3.1) but it is not going to be installed
        Depends: libwine-gl (= 1.0.1-3.1) but it is not going to be installed
        Depends: libwine-print (= 1.0.1-3.1) but it is not going to be installed
        Depends: libwine-sane (= 1.0.1-3.1) but it is not going to be installed
        Depends: libwine-cms (= 1.0.1-3.1) but it is not going to be installed
        Depends: libwine-gphoto2 (= 1.0.1-3.1) but it is not going to be installed
        Depends: libwine-ldap (= 1.0.1-3.1) but it is not going to be installed
        Recommends: ttf-liberation but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

Using the command you provided. Am I doing something wrong? I appreciate your help.
runeks
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2011, 11:17:29 AM

I experienced those errors as well. I had to manually install the packages and it was still a bitch. It would be a lot easier if we could just upgrade via "apt-get upgrade", but this breaks the system. I can't really give you any directions on how to install it manually, as it requires a lot of user interaction. Sorry.

Put up a bounty for getting apt-get system upgrades to work in LinuxCoin if you really need it.
punningclan

Activity: 283
Merit: 250

Making a better tomorrow, tomorrow.

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 12:46:01 AM

Any news on an update since phatk has been upped:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=25135.0

Happy New Year!

It was a cunning plan to have the funny man be the money fan of the punning clan.
1J13NBTKiV8xrAo2dwaD4LhWs3zPobhh5S
mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2012, 10:00:38 PM

Would definitely love a LinuxCoin update!!
runeks
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2012, 12:31:27 PM

Apparently the BIOS on Gigabyte motherboards kind of sucks, and it doesn't handle boot partitions that aren't in some extremely Windows-specific format, so if you have a Gigabyte motherboard and you're getting "Boot Error", here's what to do.  Stick the USB stick in a GNU/Linux computer and use fdisk to delete all the partitions (yes, you can't use Disk Manager in Windows 7 to do this, although other better partitioning programs probably can).

Then stick it in a Windows computer and use Disk Manager to create a new FAT partition 1 GiB in size.  Then remove the flash stick from the Windows computer, stick it back in your Linux computer, and create a new partition in the remaining space for your persistence volume and format that as ext4.
After doing this, and creating a USB stick that boots fine on a laptop I have, I am still unable to boot it from my mining rig that has a Gigabyte (GA-EP35C) motherboard. The only difference is where before it said "Boot error" when trying to boot from the USB stick (when it was created from Linux), now it says nothing, and just stops after "Verifying DMI pool data..." (or something similar. it's the text that is on the line before the line where the "Boot error" message used to appear). I can see that the USB stick is detected, "Corsair Flash Voyager" is displayed at the top of the screen where the "DMI pool data..."-message is displayed. But it's not detected by the BIOS as a bootable device. When entering the BIOS to change boot priorities, it isn't listed here either.

If I completely erase the USB stick and put it in my Windows machine, Windows only wants to fill the whole disk up with a FAT partition. In other words it wants to create a whole disk FAT partition, which means I am unable to create another partition on the rest of the disk, to be used for persistence.
If I let fdisk "create a new empty DOS partition table" then Disk Manager in Windows is willing to create a 1 GiB FAT partition on the USB stick, but it's not bootable on the rig with the Gigabyte motherboard (not even a "Boot error" message).

Any ideas guys?
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
January 10, 2012, 01:12:55 PM

Apparently the BIOS on Gigabyte motherboards kind of sucks, and it doesn't handle boot partitions that aren't in some extremely Windows-specific format, so if you have a Gigabyte motherboard and you're getting "Boot Error", here's what to do.  Stick the USB stick in a GNU/Linux computer and use fdisk to delete all the partitions (yes, you can't use Disk Manager in Windows 7 to do this, although other better partitioning programs probably can).

Then stick it in a Windows computer and use Disk Manager to create a new FAT partition 1 GiB in size.  Then remove the flash stick from the Windows computer, stick it back in your Linux computer, and create a new partition in the remaining space for your persistence volume and format that as ext4.
After doing this, and creating a USB stick that boots fine on a laptop I have, I am still unable to boot it from my mining rig that has a Gigabyte (GA-EP35C) motherboard. The only difference is where before it said "Boot error" when trying to boot from the USB stick (when it was created from Linux), now it says nothing, and just stops after "Verifying DMI pool data..." (or something similar. it's the text that is on the line before the line where the "Boot error" message used to appear). I can see that the USB stick is detected, "Corsair Flash Voyager" is displayed at the top of the screen where the "DMI pool data..."-message is displayed. But it's not detected by the BIOS as a bootable device. When entering the BIOS to change boot priorities, it isn't listed here either.

If I completely erase the USB stick and put it in my Windows machine, Windows only wants to fill the whole disk up with a FAT partition. In other words it wants to create a whole disk FAT partition, which means I am unable to create another partition on the rest of the disk, to be used for persistence.
If I let fdisk "create a new empty DOS partition table" then Disk Manager in Windows is willing to create a 1 GiB FAT partition on the USB stick, but it's not bootable on the rig with the Gigabyte motherboard (not even a "Boot error" message).

Any ideas guys?

Are you setting the active (bootable) flag in the partition table?

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
runeks
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2012, 06:45:19 PM

YES! I finally got Linuxcoin installed onto a HDD. It turns out the update-grub command in the last steps was blocked by the file /usr/bin/grub-script-check not having proper PaX permissions. I chose to perform the same command to all grub-related executables in /usr/bin as had already been done in /usr/sbin like this:

Code:
for i in $(ls /usr/bin | grep grub); do paxctl -C /usr/bin/$i; paxctl -cEr /usr/bin/$i; done

I now it finally works! I'm off to get p2pool up and running.
runeks
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2012, 07:00:04 PM

Same thing.

Code:
Error mounting: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb1,
       missing codepage or helper program, or other error
       In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
       dmesg | tail  or so
Check out dmesg. It's another kernel module that udisks is being blocked from loading. I had to load the following manually in order to get it to work:
vfat nls_cp437 nls_utf8
drgr33n (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 24, 2012, 11:32:24 AM

Hey guys !!

Been off the radar for a while dealing with real life. Was thinking about reopening this project for something to ease myself back into things. Anyone interested ? Cheesy Was going to leave the mining stuff to someone else and start with a fresh platform and all source made public.

If anyone's interested in getting involved PM me and get involved. Even if it's maintaining a few packages it would make the dev of this project more pleasurable lol !!
Red Emerald

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2012, 06:51:23 PM

Hey guys !!

Been off the radar for a while dealing with real life. Was thinking about reopening this project for something to ease myself back into things. Anyone interested ? Cheesy Was going to leave the mining stuff to someone else and start with a fresh platform and all source made public.

If anyone's interested in getting involved PM me and get involved. Even if it's maintaining a few packages it would make the dev of this project more pleasurable lol !!
Definitely open source this.  I'm sure someone will put some time into it.

runeks
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2012, 09:13:53 AM

Hey guys !!

Hey dude. I'm glad you're back. I don't have the time to help you, but I just sent you 5 BTC as thanks for making Linuxcoin. I'm running it on a mining rig right now. Rock solid.
punningclan

Activity: 283

Making a better tomorrow, tomorrow.

View Profile
January 26, 2012, 03:27:38 AM

Hey guys !!

Definitely open source this.  I'm sure someone will put some time into it.
+1

It was a cunning plan to have the funny man be the money fan of the punning clan.
1J13NBTKiV8xrAo2dwaD4LhWs3zPobhh5S
niooron

Activity: 193
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 04, 2012, 06:31:22 PM

Linuxcoin hard crashes before starting X, I only get a black screen. What could be causing it?

Specs:
CPU: AMD A6 3650
RAM: 8GB 1333 ddr3
GPUS: 5850,5750, integrated 6550
MOBO: msi a75ma g55
runeks
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2012, 07:18:50 PM

^ I need to see some logs in order to make any qualified guess concerning that.
REF

Activity: 529

View Profile
February 04, 2012, 08:18:00 PM

Hey guys !!

Im a super noob when it comes to anything linux so i cant help but i love this project. an update would be awesome it would boost my hash by 15mhash/per card. I still run an old copy of this on and off.
wickss

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 07, 2012, 01:55:48 AM

I am trying to set up a headless rig with these instuctions: http://www.linuxcoin.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Headless_Linuxcoin

When I start the computer, I see two terminal windows flash by quickly then they are gone and nothing happens.

I can start it manually with: /usr/local/bin/startminers.sh

What am I doing wrong?
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 07, 2012, 02:06:09 AM

Hey guys !!

I'm holding my donation until you opensource it  Tongue

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
ahitman

Activity: 302

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 01:16:24 AM

If you include p2pool in the default install (or an easy way to set it up after install) Im sure you will get a lot of help from the p2pool people. p2pool's biggest problem is all the steps required to set it up initially. It would be cool to have it all ready to go (miners and pool) in one pre configured package.  I would donate to that. Maybe post what you are planning to do on the p2pool thread.
Pages: « 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 »
  Print  

Jump to: