Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 10:38:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 »
  Print  
Author Topic: LinuxCoin A lightweight Debian based OS with everything ready to go.  (Read 285062 times)
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 02:33:20 AM

If you include p2pool in the default install (or an easy way to set it up after install) Im sure you will get a lot of help from the p2pool people. p2pool's biggest problem is all the steps required to set it up initially. It would be cool to have it all ready to go (miners and pool) in one pre configured package.  I would donate to that. Maybe post what you are planning to do on the p2pool thread.

I will be releasing my linuxcoin-based p2pool headless miner USB stick distribution soon.  I've been running the prototype since last Thursday.  Just need to make it a little more automatic for people.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
deti

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2012, 07:42:57 PM

If you include p2pool in the default install (or an easy way to set it up after install) Im sure you will get a lot of help from the p2pool people. p2pool's biggest problem is all the steps required to set it up initially. It would be cool to have it all ready to go (miners and pool) in one pre configured package.  I would donate to that. Maybe post what you are planning to do on the p2pool thread.
I also would like to see p2pool in LinuxCoin!!!

jjshabadoo

Activity: 535
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 06:36:38 PM

I will happily donate 5 BTC right off the bat to drggn or kjj or whomever updates this and gets it solid. includes the new and best driver sdk combos, maybe one version 5xxx series and one for 6xxx series?

also include p2pool, etc.

Take out all the browsing stuff as well, we only want to mine! just make it a miner only distro!
Red Emerald

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2012, 07:07:06 PM

I will happily donate 5 BTC right off the bat to drggn or kjj or whomever updates this and gets it solid. includes the new and best driver sdk combos, maybe one version 5xxx series and one for 6xxx series?

also include p2pool, etc.

Take out all the browsing stuff as well, we only want to mine! just make it a miner only distro!

While having p2pool built in might seem nice, but most linuxcoin setups are running off USB drives.  The blockchain is going to kill that poor thing.  Assuming you have access to another system (or two) with a HD, it is way better to setup p2pool on there.  If you just have the one machine or mine on your gaming rig or something, I guess that probably won't work for you though.

jjshabadoo

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 04:21:22 AM

I have 7 rigs and will soon have 9. I can easily set up a main rig as a control center, but honestly i am struggling just to run my set up stable for more than 4-5 days without restarts or constant reloads of linuxcoin. The damn thing is f'in killing me right now.

I had neck surgery which has slowed me down, but finally I am recovered enough to start working on this again. I just feel like the whole miner thing is such a clusterfuck unless you have pre-existing knowledge of linux.

i have plenty of hardware experience as an overclocker and system builder. I was just too naive about what it was going to take to run everything through linux.

I believe in the purpose of bitcoin and didn't get into it to make a quick buck, but I also don't want to lose my ass and it feels like that is the way things are going at this point.

If people want true adoption, they need to create a linux based OS that is stable and doesn't require one to be an expert on linux programming and coding.

Bitcoin is NOTHING without miners. A 51% attack will happen soon enough if the network is not strengthened as there is enough money involved in the current amount of bitcoin to make this possibility worthwhile. Nevermind how easily the speculators manipulate the market like vultures.

I love the project and concept, but I believe the direction is not properly managed it makes logical sense to me that the miners need to become strong first so the network is safe. There is too much focus on adoption and not enough on protecting the network.

The focus should be on making it easy for people to add hashing power to the network without these convoluted programming nightmare schemes.

Just make a simple, stable fucking distro with a simple mining set-up and stop with the complicated bullshit. This will add a horde of new miners and then we can all promote the use of bitcoin, but as someone studying to get an MBA and a business owner, I wouldn't touch bitcoin with a ten foot pole right now as it is too vulnerable to scammers, botnets and speculating douchebags to consider accepting it as a legitimate currency.

Okay, sorry, rant over. I just know many new miners feel the same pain I do.
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2012, 05:10:39 AM

I'm working on a project that will be announced soon to do just this, Jjshabadoo.  It will be a plug and play mining operation.  I will hopefully have something next week, still hashing out the details though.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
Red Emerald

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2012, 06:04:42 AM

I have 7 rigs and will soon have 9. I can easily set up a main rig as a control center, but honestly i am struggling just to run my set up stable for more than 4-5 days without restarts or constant reloads of linuxcoin. The damn thing is f'in killing me right now.

I had neck surgery which has slowed me down, but finally I am recovered enough to start working on this again. I just feel like the whole miner thing is such a clusterfuck unless you have pre-existing knowledge of linux.

i have plenty of hardware experience as an overclocker and system builder. I was just too naive about what it was going to take to run everything through linux.

I believe in the purpose of bitcoin and didn't get into it to make a quick buck, but I also don't want to lose my ass and it feels like that is the way things are going at this point.

If people want true adoption, they need to create a linux based OS that is stable and doesn't require one to be an expert on linux programming and coding.

Bitcoin is NOTHING without miners. A 51% attack will happen soon enough if the network is not strengthened as there is enough money involved in the current amount of bitcoin to make this possibility worthwhile. Nevermind how easily the speculators manipulate the market like vultures.

I love the project and concept, but I believe the direction is not properly managed it makes logical sense to me that the miners need to become strong first so the network is safe. There is too much focus on adoption and not enough on protecting the network.

The focus should be on making it easy for people to add hashing power to the network without these convoluted programming nightmare schemes.

Just make a simple, stable fucking distro with a simple mining set-up and stop with the complicated bullshit. This will add a horde of new miners and then we can all promote the use of bitcoin, but as someone studying to get an MBA and a business owner, I wouldn't touch bitcoin with a ten foot pole right now as it is too vulnerable to scammers, botnets and speculating douchebags to consider accepting it as a legitimate currency.

Maybe look at BAMT.  I've been running linuxcoin without problems since June, but you may have better luck with BAMT.

I'm still looking forward for the linux coin source

lodcrappo

Activity: 616
Merit: 506

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 07:12:43 AM

BAMT was created several months ago as precisely this:  A simple plug in and mine distribution.  No user applications, nothing but what you need to mine.  With BAMT new mining rigs can be deployed in less than 60 seconds, and never need to be touched again.  All it takes is editing a few lines in a couple files, and these are automatically displayed on the screen, with instructions, when you turn the machine on.
Many people with zero linux experience are able to start mining with BAMT in just a few minutes.

Today BAMT runs some of the largest mining farms but also is used by many smaller or even single rig miners.  It has a reputation for stable uptimes measured in months.  An easy to use web interface shows you graphs of key mining performance metrics and we provide several farm wide management tools.  A new automatic configuration system is near release.  This will allow you to simply turn on a brand new rig, and it will start mining for you.  No need to ever log in to it or even attach a screen.

Check it out, it sounds like what many in this thread are asking for, and it already exists.

http://aaronwolfe.com/bamt/

jjshabadoo

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 07:53:05 AM

yeah sorry about the rant, but bamt doesn 't look easy to me at all. i guess i just have to download it and try it on a test rig.

I finally got my rig up with linuxcoin again after finding some obscure commands to restore the ati drivers.

I like having some type of GUI interface and i also don't want tio be forced into SSH and it seems you need this for BAMT.

I'm just a little out of energy for learning something new right now. I have two more rigs to build and I just want some god damn stable mining for at least a month, then I will have the energy to consider something new, but i already have tons of hours into linuxcoin.

Looking forward to what Inaba can get going since I mine on his pool anyway, maybe he'll give me some extra support..lol I have 10 GH/s at his pool right now.
lodcrappo

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 08:01:33 AM

yeah sorry about the rant, but bamt doesn 't look easy to me at all. i guess i just have to download it and try it on a test rig.

I finally got my rig up with linuxcoin again after finding some obscure commands to restore the ati drivers.

I like having some type of GUI interface and i also don't want tio be forced into SSH and it seems you need this for BAMT.

I'm just a little out of energy for learning something new right now. I have two more rigs to build and I just want some god damn stable mining for at least a month, then I will have the energy to consider something new, but i already have tons of hours into linuxcoin.

Looking forward to what Inaba can get going since I mine on his pool anyway, maybe he'll give me some extra support..lol I have 10 GH/s at his pool right now.

Configuring BAMT is extremely simple.   You can use the GUI if you really want to, but it is almost universally agreed that remote management via SSH is much easier and a huge time saver. 
jjshabadoo

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 05:06:31 PM

So you just load putty on say a windows 7 laptop and get the ssh going in BAMT and you're good to go?

I know you need to figure out the IP addresses or something on your mining rigs, assign them numbers, something like that. This is the only part that confuses me a little because I seriously feel like anytime I touch ANYTHING in a linux distro it's a cluster F.

The problem in linux for me as a noob is I really don't even understand the basic commands like how to remove stuff, or restore things if I f something up. I really need to go through some online tutorials and just quit bitching.

Everyone in this forum has already been of great help, so I really can't complain, it's a hell of a community similar to the overlocking forums I visit.

All my rigs are connected to my network via an ethernet switch, so it should be easy enough. the laptop connects wirelessly of course.

I mean I'm not a netwokring idiot, I did install my own modem and wireless network at my house, but whoop te do, that's easy. I still just have a limited understanding of how to figure out which IP address is assigned to a given machine, etc.

My big issue is I now have at least 150-200 hours into this over the last 6 months and all I want is a little break before I try something new. I have two more machines to build and I'd rather focus on that. Looking at idle graphics cards is very frustrating as I'm sure all of you know.

I got a 4 x 5970 with extenders set up last night on linuxcoin finally and it has been rolling at 725/300 for over 24 hours at about 2.5 GH/s and power draw of 1060 watts or so.

My biggest issue has really probably been my overzealous overclocking with these shitty diamond cards. I really don't think they want go beyond 800/300 even with replaced TIM and thermal pads.
lodcrappo

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 09:31:48 PM

So you just load putty on say a windows 7 laptop and get the ssh going in BAMT and you're good to go?

I know you need to figure out the IP addresses or something on your mining rigs, assign them numbers, something like that. This is the only part that confuses me a little because I seriously feel like anytime I touch ANYTHING in a linux distro it's a cluster F.

The problem in linux for me as a noob is I really don't even understand the basic commands like how to remove stuff, or restore things if I f something up. I really need to go through some online tutorials and just quit bitching.

Everyone in this forum has already been of great help, so I really can't complain, it's a hell of a community similar to the overlocking forums I visit.

All my rigs are connected to my network via an ethernet switch, so it should be easy enough. the laptop connects wirelessly of course.

I mean I'm not a netwokring idiot, I did install my own modem and wireless network at my house, but whoop te do, that's easy. I still just have a limited understanding of how to figure out which IP address is assigned to a given machine, etc.

My big issue is I now have at least 150-200 hours into this over the last 6 months and all I want is a little break before I try something new. I have two more machines to build and I'd rather focus on that. Looking at idle graphics cards is very frustrating as I'm sure all of you know.

I got a 4 x 5970 with extenders set up last night on linuxcoin finally and it has been rolling at 725/300 for over 24 hours at about 2.5 GH/s and power draw of 1060 watts or so.

My biggest issue has really probably been my overzealous overclocking with these shitty diamond cards. I really don't think they want go beyond 800/300 even with replaced TIM and thermal pads.

my suggestion would be to wait for the upcoming v0.5 image release if you're interested in trying BAMT.  Not that the current image is hard, but the new version is even easier.  it displays your IP address and mining status right on the screen from boot.  all config items are in the gui menu.

This is the desktop screen:

btw, if you're having trouble with IP management, highly recommend to learn about dhcp and dhcp reservations especially.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 19, 2012, 08:21:25 PM

Use your router.  It should have something called DHCP reservation.  It will give the same machine the same IP address always based on MAC address.  Then you don't need to configure anything.

My rigs are 192.168.0.181 to 192.168.0.186

I can install a new copy of BAMT, or another Linux OS or hell Windows and their IP addresses will never change.

Time you aready spent on something that doesn't work is meaningless.  If you have more than 1 rig learn BAMT.  Linuxcoin is never going to do what you want.   Hooking monitors to each rig is never going to do what you want.  Note BAMT does support a monitor but once you get a rig booted the first time there really is no need to use anything other that SSH.  The entire distro is run from 2 or 3 config files.  All you need is an SSH client.

I have 6 rigs 13 GH/s and I had no outages in last week.  Had one rig crash 2? 3? weeks ago.  With BAMT it is painfully easy.  I cut power, cut in back on and it reconfigured itself and began mining in 30 seconds or so.

It seems like you rant could be paraphrased as
"I have been beating my head against the wall for 200 hours so I am not going to stop until it starts working."  If what you are doing isn't working there is no guarantee that after 200 more hours you will be anymore stable.  Seems silly.
jjshabadoo

View Profile
February 20, 2012, 11:38:37 PM

i hear you guys, going to go for BAMT on the next rig. Got three running at 6 Gh/s on linuxcoin right now and will just leave those alone.

BAMT for my next build this weekend.
cuz0882

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 10:20:22 PM

From what I've heard BAMT does not auto detect wireless adapters like linuxcoin does. So you need wired connections or a fair knowledge of linux to get it working, is this right?
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 10:28:12 PM

That's right.

Alternative you could use a wireless bridge.  Most routers can also be used as a bridge.  From BAMT point of view it is simply a hardwired ethernet connection.
cuz0882

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 10:55:46 PM

That's right.

Alternative you could use a wireless bridge.  Most routers can also be used as a bridge.  From BAMT point of view it is simply a hardwired ethernet connection.
I have not tried linux coin either, can you control your miners remotely with it?
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 11:12:29 PM

That's right.

I have not tried linux coin either, can you control your miners remotely with it?

You can control your machine from any OS by logging into it by SSH.  LinuxCoin is old & not well supported.  I wouldn't use it.

BAMT works far better and is optimized to running a rig very quickly.  It doesn't support wireless though.
lodcrappo

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 03:09:40 PM

That's right.

You can control your machine from any OS by logging into it by SSH.  LinuxCoin is old & not well supported.  I wouldn't use it.

BAMT works far better and is optimized to running a rig very quickly.  It doesn't support wireless though.

BAMT has always supported wireless adapters, however you had to type a few commands in to make em work.   Those of you who used computers back when men were men and bytes were bytes will have no trouble.

The imminent v0.5 release has support for wireless via the GUI, though it makes me a little more dead inside every time I think about it.

gnar1ta$
Donator

Activity: 798

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 11:02:51 PM

The imminent v0.5 release has support for wireless via the GUI, though it makes me a little more dead inside every time I think about it.

LOL...you should be hanging your head in shame  Tongue All you GUI fans will find the new release much easier to use.

Losing hundreds of Bitcoins with the best scammers in the business - BFL, Avalon, KNC, HashFast.
Pages: « 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 »
  Print  

Jump to: