Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 05:10:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 [229] 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312360 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 05:05:45 PM

I was thinking the same thing and to be perfectly honest I've given up caring about humanity so it really isn't worth the effort.

Even though I'm a Confirmed agnostic this is the way I live now after years of banging my head on a wall and paying for trying to help others. No good deed goes unpunished.

This is just my 2 bits. Take it or leave it but im a pretty happy guy over all so maybe it can help.

Perhaps a change in alignment might help. Trying to help people often leads to the opposite of what your good intentions want. Here is an example, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z760XNy4VM when a mouse population is put into a state of perfect utopia they all die. Thats the extreme end of the spectrum, but doing things for other people leads to the same phenomena to a less extreme degree. It is other peoples job to help themselves, not yours.

Try to help yourself as much as you can without doing anything that is evil in the process. The not doing anything evil is extremely important. Elevating yourself at the expense of other people will not lead to good outcomes unless you are an evil person, and judging by your comment i dont think you are. However it is entirely possible to focus entirely on your own needs and wants without ever doing anything harmful to other people in the process. A good example, but certainly not the only, of this is creating product that you think will sell and selling it for a profit, the person who buys it from you has demonstrated that he values the product more than his money, and you have demonstrated that you value the money more than the product. You are made materially better off, presumably you created the product for the purpose of being made better off, but through your non evil actions he too has been made better off even though that was never your intention.

(it may be wise to create an exception to this rule for people who are completely incapable of providing for themselves, i.e. the mentally or physically ill who have not brought that outcome upon themselves)

anyway last off topic comment from me in this thread, i promise. Lips sealed

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2015, 05:19:14 PM
Last edit: April 06, 2015, 05:32:26 PM by vokain

"We must just do the best we can, now as always."

"Fear is failure; I must dare to do wrong. Good!"

"Apparently the method is just this: to store up—no matter how—great treasures of energy and purity, until they begin to do the work themselves (in the way the Hindus call 'Sukshma')."

"Don't worry; work!"

"Reward is the direct and immediate consequence of Work."

"I think that every failure will be certainly traceable to my own damn foolishness, every little success to courage, skill, wit, and tenacity.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4884

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 05:38:35 PM

"Apparently the method is just this: to store up—no matter how—great treasures of energy and purity, until they begin to do the work themselves (in the way the Hindus call 'Sukshma')."

"Don't worry; work!"

"I think that every failure will be certainly traceable to my own damn foolishness, every little success to courage, skill, wit, and tenacity.
“I would rather obey a fine lion, much stronger than myself, than two hundred rats of my own species.”― Voltaire

Rite?

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2015, 05:53:53 PM

"Don't worry; work!"

“I would rather obey a fine lion, much stronger than myself, than two hundred rats of my own species.”― Voltaire

Rite?

Let me join the off-topicness:

"There is no good or bad but thinking makes it so..." Hamlet A2 S2

I used to mis-remember this as, "There is no good or evil only the thinking so--" which is probably mixing Hamlet's depression with Nietzsche's idea of a master morality.

I think you could make the case that many people's good intentions are actually subconscious rationalizations supporting the status-qua of the dominant social order.

Feel free to delete this Smooth.

Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 05:59:44 PM

I think you could make the case that many people's good intentions are actually subconscious rationalizations supporting the status-qua of the dominant social order.

Feel free to delete this Smooth.

^^^THIS, and Smooth is gonna be hating us. Tongue

Hey they deleted our off topic thread.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
vokain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2015, 06:24:38 PM
Last edit: April 06, 2015, 11:23:34 PM by vokain

Oh well, Monero action is slow currently anyway. So much time otherwise wasted if just looking at charts, might as well share good ideas not entirely speculation related. In any regard, discussing these ideas is important for us as a community for the new world that Monero might accelerate us into. How's that for speculative discussion, on topic enough? Smiley

And Hue I've always loved that Voltaire quote, because I was born with the Sun in Leo Smiley reminds me to aspire to my highest Self. Also, PSA, but the Myers-Briggs test is composed from character traits in part from Jung's archetypes, which are in part based on his study of zodiacal archetypes, the ancient study of personality.
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 06:27:08 PM

Oh well, Monero action is slow currently anyway. So much time otherwise wasted if just looking at charts, might as well share good ideas not entirely speculation related. In any regard, discussing these ideas are important for us as a community for the new world that Monero might accelerate us into. How's that for speculation, on topic enough? Smiley

I speculate your speculation will not be here when I return. Tongue

Gotta run guys have fun. Smiley

opennux

Activity: 231
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 06:34:36 PM

Some publicity for SDC: http://motherboard.vice.com/read/the-race-for-the-first-decentralised-silk-road-is-on

Edit: I am puzzled at the lack of attention that Monero gets from the media, even those outlets that cover other privacy-oriented crypto-currencies.

The lack of Monero exposure on these new-websites is solely, and this is a salient point, solely because it is not being paid for. All these junk-sites are usually paid for per article. They are for sale. Coin-desk being one of the most prominent for sale sites in the space. If you want your news covered, you have to lube them up with a payment, OR pay for some advertising or some such. The world is not as it seems, so wake up.

When there is more to present (such as a fully merged db, GUI and other goodies on the road-map) it has been alluded to several times that marketing efforts will commence on a larger scale. Maybe it involves paying of these "news" sites. Maybe it doesn't. I hope they never make a dime that way.
vokain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2015, 06:53:58 PM
Last edit: April 06, 2015, 07:05:07 PM by vokain

Some publicity for SDC: http://motherboard.vice.com/read/the-race-for-the-first-decentralised-silk-road-is-on

Edit: I am puzzled at the lack of attention that Monero gets from the media, even those outlets that cover other privacy-oriented crypto-currencies.

The lack of Monero exposure on these new-websites is solely, and this is a salient point, solely because it is not being paid for. All these junk-sites are usually paid for per article. They are for sale. Coin-desk being one of the most prominent for sale sites in the space. If you want your news covered, you have to lube them up with a payment, OR pay for some advertising or some such. The world is not as it seems, so wake up.

When there is more to present (such as a fully merged db, GUI and other goodies on the road-map) it has been alluded to several times that marketing efforts will commence on a larger scale. Maybe it involves paying of these "news" sites. Maybe it doesn't. I hope they never make a dime that way.
And I thought about it last year, funding such an article for Monero, but after a small amount of consideration the software was/is no where near ready for exposure to the masses. That was a lesson I learned with Mastercoin/Omni, letting marketing get ahead of development. By the time the mass-market software is ready, the writers will come at their own accord.
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 07:40:03 PM

"Wall observation"

Monero price looks incredibly stable.
And even relatively modest buying will trigger nice bull run, on the other hand, the dumping needs some loose coins to get the price sinking any significiant number.
I am expecing soon someone making a move up or down.  Grin
Trading volumes are sinking.

Calm before the storm. -Unknown

Smooth can remove (I continue the serie of "smooth can remove this").
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 09:10:10 PM

if downtrend is still in force, we are going sub-90

90 isn't even possible for more than a few hours, unless btc goes up a lot.  I simply have too much fiat exposure for that to happen.

The aminorex put.

Indeed, if ever you would like to price a European 90 180 270 360 540 or 720 day 90ksat strike put, apply black-scholes with RFR = current BFX swap rate, and I'm happy to respond to your interest.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
komputadora

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 10:08:29 PM

Do what thou wilt, because either way you'll learn!

"At all times sincere friends of freedom have been rare, and its triumphs have been due to minorities, that have prevailed by associating themselves with auxiliaries whose objects often differed from their own; and this association, which is always dangerous, has been sometimes disastrous, by giving to opponents just grounds of opposition, and by kindling dispute over the spoils in the hour of success. No obstacle has been so constant, or so difficult to overcome, as uncertainty and confusion touching the nature of true liberty. If hostile interests have wrought much injury, false ideas have wrought still more; and its advance is recorded in the increase of knowledge, as much as in the improvement of laws."
Lord Acton, "The History of Freedom in Antiquity", 1877

Love is the law.

vokain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2015, 10:20:20 PM
Last edit: April 07, 2015, 02:48:05 AM by vokain

"At all times sincere friends of freedom have been rare, and its triumphs have been due to minorities, that have prevailed by associating themselves with auxiliaries whose objects often differed from their own; and this association, which is always dangerous, has been sometimes disastrous, by giving to opponents just grounds of opposition, and by kindling dispute over the spoils in the hour of success. No obstacle has been so constant, or so difficult to overcome, as uncertainty and confusion touching the nature of true liberty. If hostile interests have wrought much injury, false ideas have wrought still more; and its advance is recorded in the increase of knowledge, as much as in the improvement of laws."

Love is the law.

93/93

Glad you're here Smiley
pa

Activity: 528
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 10:23:04 PM

Love is the law.

Glad you're here Smiley

93/93

TIL: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/93_%28Thelema%29
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 11:29:51 PM

Are people forgetting the single large volume buys that took us to 400+? Seems weird how people are scared the price went down again.

Monero can realistically replace btc in 3 years (the most optimistic scenario).

No  Cheesy

I am glad that you had such a fundamental arguments backing your point.
Monero is more than 3 years behind in terms of development.
Monero is probably more than 3 years behind in terms of network effects.
Monero is probably more than 3 years behind in terms of being known to the public.
Monero is more than 3 years behind in terms of amount of news sources covering it.

I disagree with most of this. I was around in early 2012 and while it is true that there was (just barely) more news covering BTC and public awareness, the rest are not true. The development and network effects of Monero have benefited greatly from being able to build on BTC's shoulders and further from the general advances in open source platforms and tools.

Second mover advantage is a real thing.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-mover_advantage#Second-mover_advantage

I still don't see Monero replacing Bitcoin anytime soon though.
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 11:34:47 PM

I'm not going to bother to delete all the off-topic posts but you know what to do....back on topic from here please
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 02:04:05 AM

I am liking the price action for the last 24 hours.  Looks like possible consolidation.  If we can hang out in this range we can see strong support forming around .003.  I am considering buying a little... but will watch some first.
hodlmybtc

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2015, 02:46:14 AM

18k buywall at 0.003
vokain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2015, 02:57:09 AM
Last edit: April 07, 2015, 09:46:07 AM by vokain

I like this flattening. Getting closer to finding an equilibrium/turning point. </obvious>

Offtopic edit: reflecting on writing this, I now realize why I scored higher for "perceiving" than "judging" on this Myers-Briggs test I just took again after someone mentioned the INTJ archetype on the other thread Smiley
ENTP here.

The visionary! I'm an INTP myself Smiley though I think the previous time I took it I was INFP, but before that INTP again too.

We all have such importance in our lives Smiley
ENFP here. All N, but I'm not surprised.

Must be that future sound Smiley gives great context to the upstanding impression I had of you when I was starting out as a challenged yet aspiring miner in #monero way back when, and you babied me through every bit, how to compile, create a wallet, starting mining, setting correct number of cores, etc. etc. Thank you! David is my #2 influencer upon Monero. If it wasn't for his and AnonyMint's help, I'd never be here.

I hope we have more of others. We need a good wide distribution with us.
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 02:58:09 AM

Yep nice buy wall. And no resistance till... well as far as I felt like scrolling!

Offtopic edit: reflecting on writing this, I now realize why I scored higher for "perceiving" than "judging" on this Myers-Briggs test I just took again after someone mentioned the INTJ archetype on the other thread Smiley
ENTP here.

The visionary! I'm an INTP myself Smiley though I think the previous time I took it I was INFP, but before that INTP again too.

We all have such importance in our lives Smiley
ENFP here. All N, but I'm not surprised.

No surprise at all, lets play "Guess Smooths Profile".

My guess is INTJ

Pages: « 1 ... 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 [229] 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: