Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:08:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BitMinter.com * Optional Custom Miner, PPLNS, Merged mining, Newbie-Friendly! *  (Read 220666 times)
DrHaribo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1034

Needs more jiggawatts

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2014, 03:57:22 PM

Tnanks, I had better start learning how to use cgminer for Bitminter then, have it dowloaded but I believe I need to make a file so it knows to connect to the site?

Basic operation:

cgminer -o stratum+tcp://mint.bitminter.com:3333 -u user_worker -p X

▶▶▶ bitminter.com 2011-2020 ▶▶▶ pool.xbtodigital.io 2023-
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
NewbitNewbit

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 04:18:30 PM

so, no file needed? just type that command with my user(worker)name and pw into the X-Terminal that opens up on cgminer and i'm off? if so, I can do that...lol    Thanks mate, And Happy New Year,may it be a fruitful one.
DrHaribo (OP)
Legendary

Needs more jiggawatts

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2014, 05:21:04 PM

so, no file needed? just type that command with my user(worker)name and pw into the X-Terminal that opens up on cgminer and i'm off? if so, I can do that...lol    Thanks mate, And Happy New Year,may it be a fruitful one.

Pretty much. You'll need to have cgminer installed and in your PATH. Or cd to where it is and use ./cgminer instead of just cgminer to start it. Also you may want to put that in a shell script so you don't have to type it all every time. Or put the pool setup in a config file instead of on command line. But this is a quick way to get started.

NewbitNewbit

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 05:25:05 PM

Excellent, thanks for your help and explaining it in a way that is pretty much idiot proof.  Wink
NewbitNewbit

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 11:10:01 PM

Tnanks, I had better start learning how to use cgminer for Bitminter then, have it dowloaded but I believe I need to make a file so it knows to connect to the site?

Basic operation:

cgminer -o stratum+tcp://mint.bitminter.com:3333 -u user_worker -p X

Hi, OK, Been trying it out, cgminer that is, getting mixed messages,some say make a .bat file, others(?most)a config file so I made a config file, the part that is puzzling me, "user_worker" lets say my worker was newbit which it isn't,should that be user_newbit ? or should it be my login at bitminter lets say it's RealNewbit, that would be " RealNewbit_Newbit "

I know I'll have to change drivers to start with cgminer but I need to learn it if i'm going to try and get better hardware.

Thanks.
Cascaders28

Activity: 195
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 01:02:09 AM

If your BitMinter login was RealNewbit and the worker name was Newbit you would end it with  -u RealNewbit_Newbit -p X

So yes, you have it correct Smiley
NewbitNewbit

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 01:52:30 AM

thanks, it is driving me mad, but that's good, that's when I get to the bottomof something. I'll get it to work,somehow?

Where exactly does that command go? in a config file or ? anywhere ive typed it  I get a nnot an executable file or something like that? will I need to change all the drivers on my usb's reboot then try cgminer, if I want to upgrade I need to learn how to use it.

Some kid will have a how to on youtube,they aways do......LOL
Cascaders28

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 02:42:30 AM

I found BitMinter because I couldn't stand trying to put together a BAT file but here is approx what I recall doing.

You'll need to make a Notepad file in the cgminer folder and ensure you've got file extensions showing.

cgminer -o stratum+tcp://mint.bitminter.com:3333 -u RealNewbit_Newbit -p X

Where RealNewbit is your BitMinter login name and Newbit is the worker name you made on the website. Then you close the file and change the file extension to .bat

From then on clicking on the BAT file will launch cgminer and should have the pool information correct. I'm not sure what sort of drivers you need to support the Furys or if you need any additional commands for cgminer to pick them up but thats a place to start.
NewbitNewbit

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 03:46:01 AM

I found BitMinter because I couldn't stand trying to put together a BAT file but here is approx what I recall doing.

You'll need to make a Notepad file in the cgminer folder and ensure you've got file extensions showing.

cgminer -o stratum+tcp://mint.bitminter.com:3333 -u RealNewbit_Newbit -p X

Where RealNewbit is your BitMinter login name and Newbit is the worker name you made on the website. Then you close the file and change the file extension to .bat

From then on clicking on the BAT file will launch cgminer and should have the pool information correct. I'm not sure what sort of drivers you need to support the Furys or if you need any additional commands for cgminer to pick them up but thats a place to start.

tHANKS, I'm certain i'll get it now with all the advise on here, much appreciated, I believe the config file I made I could change to a .bat file as that was starting it, just cgminer uses winusb drivers rather than the silicon labs that install first time you plug eruptors in, so if I get some antminers,furys i'll need to do it anyway, learning with every wrong move and helpfull comments.

cheers.
DrHaribo (OP)
Legendary

Needs more jiggawatts

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2014, 09:38:46 PM

Where exactly does that command go? in a config file or ? anywhere ive typed it  I get a nnot an executable file or something like that? will I need to change all the drivers on my usb's reboot then try cgminer, if I want to upgrade I need to learn how to use it.

You can type it in a command prompt (windows) or terminal window (linux and mac os x).

Typing it every time is tiresome.

You can instead put it in a .bat script (windows) or sh script (linux and mac os x). Then you just start the script instead of having to type so much.

Or you can define it all in a config file.

ltomovski

Activity: 19

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 08:21:57 AM

Hi
I am new at this and I have one question atm .. I am mining using my video card GPU using bitMinter 1.4.3 .. but I also have access to HIGH Level CPU machine ... so can I use bitMinter to mine using the CPU
At the moment when I start bitBinter I got No devices to start! Please connect mining hardware to USB port(s) and use devices menu to probe for them.
Thanks in advance
Cascaders28

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 01:55:49 PM

No matter how high level the CPU(s) may be they simply aren't worth using to mine BTC. I'm not 100% sure, but I think Dr H. removed CPU mining support for that reason. If you're hellbent on spending more on power then you'll ever even come close to making there are several alternatives that can be made to mine with your processor. But to answer your question I'm pretty sure BitMinter no longer supports CPU mining.

GPU mining is a great way to get your foot in the door but if you're looking to mine I'd recommend picking up a few of the USB stick miner options. Blue/Red Fury, Ice Fury, Yellow Jacket, AntMiner, etc. All of those will get you probably 4x what you're getting on your GPU (unless you're running a very high end ATI card) but the real benefit is the fact that they sip power compared to either a GPU or CPU.
DrHaribo (OP)
Legendary

Needs more jiggawatts

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2014, 04:18:30 PM

Exactly right, CPU mining was removed from the client. Even the fastest CPU is completely useless for BTC mining.

mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2607

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2014, 04:30:37 PM

Exactly right, CPU mining was removed from the client. Even the fastest CPU is completely useless for BTC mining.
Unless you are mining on a public computer, for which you don't pay: neither for the hardware, nor for the software.

Cascaders28

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 04:43:17 PM

Unless you are mining on a public computer, for which you don't pay: neither for the hardware, nor for the software.

I would still argue that even if the resources cost you nothing it isn't worth thrashing a public computer to earn .00001 BTC a year. And that's being optimistic Wink Sure if you've got access to 100 of them you might eventually see some tiny fraction but I imagine said public location might notice a power draw spike and get curious.

I've got a pretty solid PC at work that I just keep on the bench with a Xeon W3550 that I use for SETI over trying to hash. If you want to work out a CPU I'd recommend folding over hashing.
bcm2013

Activity: 21

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 07:08:24 PM

Hi all, Doc...

I've been a miner on BitMinter since late November, when I first got started with 8, the 16 BEs, then a Jalepeno, followed by a BE Cube (with another on its way).  Bouncing along around 40-42 Ghps...

I recently acquired a couple of AntMiner U1s... and a funny thing happened.  I plugged these into the only two empty slots on my Ankar hubs (which current have 16 BEs + fans already plugged in & mining away).  I had intended of creating another instance (& worker), using cgminer, following the guides in this forum.

However, my BitMinter Client (v1.4.3) picked up these AntMiners, identified them as Icarus (COM33) and Icarus (COM34) and after failing the tuning phase quite a few times, they began working!!! Smiley

Both are running at around 1544 Mhps (as with the BitMinter client, there is no way to "tune" the U1s to run at a faster than default hash rate.  But, outside of running a separate instance of cgminer for just the Antminers, leaving everything else as it is, I hadn't yet begun to do too much prep per the published guidelines (other than downloading the needed driver, cgminer, and zadig.  I, of course, previously installed the Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge driver to support the BE USBs...

This was a surprising result...
1) I'm running BEs and AntMiners on the same machine...(without different cgminer instances)
2) It is working (while not optimally) in the BitMinter client.

Just thought I'd share this!

-- Bill
DrHaribo (OP)
Legendary

Needs more jiggawatts

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2014, 07:24:13 PM

I guess the antminer units are semi-icarus compatible? I haven't looked at their protocol myself yet.

bcm2013

Activity: 21

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 07:59:16 PM

I guess the antminer units are semi-icarus compatible? I haven't looked at their protocol myself yet.

It would seem so from these results (caveat: I'm not a Windows driver or ASIC USB stick expert - I simply followed guidelines for activating my previous BEs...)

Keep up the good work!

Bill
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2607

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2014, 10:50:33 AM

I would still argue that even if the resources cost you nothing it isn't worth thrashing a public computer to earn .00001 BTC a year. And that's being optimistic Wink Sure if you've got access to 100 of them you might eventually see some tiny fraction but I imagine said public location might notice a power draw spike and get curious.

I've got a pretty solid PC at work that I just keep on the bench with a Xeon W3550 that I use for SETI over trying to hash. If you want to work out a CPU I'd recommend folding over hashing.
Well it's better than nothing. Besides I don't leave it for the whole day, just for several hours. And using the CPU is the only way there, since the GPU is so shitty the miner doesn't even consider it to be mined on. And I mean even more crappy than Intel integrated graphics.

bitmorsels

Activity: 7

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 03:01:42 PM

Hi, I started bitcoin mining just for fun a month ago, or even less, first with a spare CPU, then with one and now with 7 BitForce 0.33 MHs Block Erupters.
Now that I'm starting to understand how this game works, I was thinking to upgrade my mining devices.
At the moment, for a number of reasons, I am oriented at buying something which is immediately available (i.e. no pre-orders) and relatively cheap.

I've seen the 50 GH/s Bitcoin Miner of Butterflylabs (https://products.butterflylabs.com/homepage/50-gh-s-bitcoin-miner.html), what do you think about it? Also, I tried sending an email to the support asking for the foreseen delivey time, but I received no answer yet. Does anyone know something about the reliability of this company? And what about the delivery time?

And now a second question. I noticed that some products from other producers like MinerSource must be connected at an ethernet port rather than USB. Why? Would the BitMinter client be able to see such devices? Or one would have rather to use a browser-based client?

Thank you in advance for any answer.
Pages: « 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 »
  Print  

Jump to: