Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 07:50:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 ... 1310 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Ethereum: Welcome to the Beginning  (Read 2003817 times)
Ursium

Activity: 149
Merit: 100

Ethereum

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2014, 12:36:50 AM

Yep, no more questions will be answered in an unmoderated thread, better to address questions in an "OP-moderated" thread.

These thread was unmoderated and I've seen NO trolling nor abuse, just both critics and supporters. Why a moderated thread?

You have to be kidding.
It became completely unreadable, we even received blackmail messages telling us the trolling will only stop if we sent money.

Ethereum Twitter: @ethereumproject - Blog: blog.ethereum.org - Forum: forum.ethereum.org - Github: github.com/ethereum
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitnicity

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 12:27:18 PM

a fair suggestion, why don't you change the project name, Ethereum is just don't-know-what-the-heck-it-means to mainstream and barely anyone could spell it correctly when they first hear it, change to something more intuitive, like Bitcoin. Name is critical for any project or IPO to scale and succeed as every VC or sponsor will tell you, just look at how successfully Bitcoin is, an underestimated attribute is that an average Joe would understand what it means by looking at the name itself, honestly, change it for the sake of living up the cryto 2.0 expectation.
pocesar

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2014, 01:59:50 PM

the name Ethereum makes sense. Comes from latin Aether, Aetherum is just the "plural" of Aether, that means "heaven", "air", "sky", so it means, "many skies"... that's all Ethereum is about, endless possibilities, like many horizons, without a "set in stone" begin and end.

https://github.com/pocesar - BTC 1KLRAFHGGhE2WiRASkASatvMR1vALmkB9L
lemfuture

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 02:08:08 PM

the name Ethereum makes sense. Comes from latin Aether, Aetherum is just the "plural" of Aether, that means "heaven", "air", "sky", so it means, "many skies"... that's all Ethereum is about, endless possibilities, like many horizons, without a "set in stone" begin and end.
good to know!

1ADLcfwTofFXb95pKhebpeRkJ4WTWsvQXB
Bitnicity

Activity: 56

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 03:46:07 PM

good to know!

well, latin is cool but it's a dead language and typically you only see pharma companies or hedge funds use these type of naming system, coz they want to shut publicity or enhance uniqueness  (like for medicines ) , which i believe it's not what "Ethereum" is about; at the end of the day, etheruem (damn, i couldn't spell it right each time i type it) is a "consumer product", only an "Apple" like name will get you home run, you know what i mean.
surfer43

Activity: 560
Merit: 250

"Trading Platform of The Future!"

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 04:46:59 PM

good to know!

well, latin is cool but it's a dead language and typically you only see pharma companies or hedge funds use these type of naming system, coz they want to shut publicity or enhance uniqueness  (like for medicines ) , which i believe it's not what "Ethereum" is about; at the end of the day, etheruem (damn, i couldn't spell it right each time i type it) is a "consumer product", only an "Apple" like name will get you home run, you know what i mean.
Let's call it "Mellon"!
DaFockBro

Activity: 126

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 04:54:54 AM

good to know!

Let's call it "Mellon"!

Can we rename it Titty Sandwich please?

On a serious note.  Am I correct in thinking that the inflation will be distributed to holders?  This is where the Proof-of-Stake part comes in?
xibeijan
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 08:33:45 AM

Inflation!?  Got a link?

Notable projects 2019: Semux, Dero, Wagerr, BEAM
DaFockBro

Activity: 126

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 08:43:13 AM

Inflation!?  Got a link?

I was reading through the summary of all the questions answered during the ethereum ask-me-anything on reddit yesterday:
http://pastebin.com/b9M8gwZx

Q: What is the most common misconception/myth about the ethereum project that you've seen so far?

1. Ethereum is not your personal decentralized Amazon EC2 instance. You will not be able to run anything on top of Ethereum that you cannot run on a smartphone from 1999.

2. The inflation rate is 0.4x the amount released in the presale per year, not 40% per year. That is, we'll have 1.5x after 0 years, 1.9x after 1 year, 2.3x after 2 years ... 401.5x after 1000 years, 401.9x after 1001 years, etc.

Q: The inflation in the product seems too high at 0.4X. Are there any plans to reduce this.

A: It depends upon other factors as well including what is done with fees, the fee structure, how people use ether, etc. We are building a lot of models, but I know that we are going to change the inflation weight.

{Charles}

Q: in the white paper it says, "0.4X ether will be mined per year forever after that point". Won't this create a massively inflating currency after the currency adoption peaks? Assuming Ether is widely used globally at some point and growth in adoption of ether is far less than 40%, won't a 40% annual currency volume increase be a problem?

A: .4X of the initial fundraiser. It will be increased by the same fixed number of eth each year, which will be a lower % of total eth in circulation each year.

A: Here's a handy graph - https://i.imgur.com/of1zoPC.png?1

I'm assuming this inflation they're discussing will be distributed through Proof-of-work/Proof-of-stake hybrid?

If so, I don't see how it's a bad thing.  If I hold Ether in my wallet, my ether stash will grow through Proof-of-stake, right?

ThomasX

Activity: 20

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 12:37:43 PM

LOL seriously?  Roll Eyes

"Ethereum" comes from Blizzard Inc, World Of Warcraft.

http://www.wowhead.com/search?q=Ethereum

I honestly don't take anything that just picks a random name from a World of Warcraft game any serious. Didn't even have the creative energy to make their own unique name huh? Had to "borrow" it from a game.  Tongue

And almost 40% pre-mine goes straight to devs? This is just another freakin' "DevCoin". Same shit, different package + some scripting language built into it. God-syndrome infected Greed Extravagante Deluxe. (As in, "I'm the dev, and all your money are belong to me(TM).")

I'm not even going to touch the mountain of technical problems and security-loopholes regarding the built-in scripting engine inside ethereum-coin will create at all. I'll leave that to the miners who experience it first-hand. Good luck.  Grin
Alphi

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 01:31:57 PM

LOL seriously?  Roll Eyes

"Ethereum" comes from Blizzard Inc, World Of Warcraft.

http://www.wowhead.com/search?q=Ethereum

I honestly don't take anything that just picks a random name from a World of Warcraft game any serious. Didn't even have the creative energy to make their own unique name huh? Had to "borrow" it from a game.  Tongue

And almost 40% pre-mine goes straight to devs? This is just another freakin' "DevCoin". Same shit, different package + some scripting language built into it. God-syndrome infected Greed Extravagante Deluxe. (As in, "I'm the dev, and all your money are belong to me(TM).")

I'm not even going to touch the mountain of technical problems and security-loopholes regarding the built-in scripting engine inside ethereum-coin will create at all. I'll leave that to the miners who experience it first-hand. Good luck.  Grin

did it ever occur to you that WOW may have gotten their Ethereum from latin? I suppose you think WOW invented the idea of GOLD pieces too...
people who think Ethereum is such a sucky name probably are too young to remember this networking technology we used to have called Ethernet... oh wait.. its still there.. under all that TCPIP, WWW and LAN jargon...

as for mining... I'm happy to oblige.. just waiting for release so I can set my rigs onto it..

KARMA: KSc9oGgGga1TS4PqZNFxNS9LSDjdSgpC1B      VERT: VgKaooA5ZuLLUXTUANJigH9wCPuzBUBv9H
DOGE:   DRN7pXid34o6wQgUuK8BoSjWJ5g8jiEs4e
bitcoin-world.de

Activity: 192

bitcoin-world.de - The european information source

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 01:40:20 PM

When does mining start ?
Ursium

Ethereum

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 04:28:23 PM

This is an interesting project.
I setup an eth server on a VPS and it is running fine. The windows eth application works well too.

There seems to be a problem with the windows alethzero.exe. When trying to run it, I get an error saying that libwinpthread-1.dll is missing.

Searching google did not show an answer on how to fix it.

A new windows build will be on the code.ethereum.org site tonight 2300 GMT at most. Cheers!

Ethereum Twitter: @ethereumproject - Blog: blog.ethereum.org - Forum: forum.ethereum.org - Github: github.com/ethereum
ReCat

Activity: 406

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 04:32:31 PM

Will there be exchange sites for the testnet?

BTC: 1recatirpHBjR9sxgabB3RDtM6TgntYUW
Hold onto what you love with all your might, Because you can never know when - Oh. What you love is now gone.
sakkosekk

Activity: 224

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 04:43:26 PM

good to know!

Ethrum or Etherum is easier for the masses.
Ursium

Ethereum

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 09:12:15 PM

Will there be exchange sites for the testnet?

I do not know for sure, but of course it's very likely, close to certain in fact, that the community will attempt to build decentralized exchanges at the earliest opportunity, including on the testnet.

FandangledGizmo
Legendary

Activity: 1138
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 10:03:32 PM

Is this the Ethereum gameplan?

Hypothetical scenario

Right now in the US they are busy struggling with how best to regulate crypto-currencies.

These are the potential conclusions I think they will draw...

1. It is too hard to try to regulate the hundreds of crypto-currencies that are out there.
2. Banking compliance is a serious business and issuing bit-licenses and trying to monitor hundreds of new untrusted exchanges is not feasible.
3. Crypto-currencies have deflationary tendencies which run counter to most existing currencies.

The potential solution...

1. It might be possible to regulate 1 base crypto-currency on which other things can be built.
2. Only large existing retail/investment banks with sufficient experience in banking compliance can be trusted as exchanges.
3. A reasonably inflationary crypto-currency would be ideal.

How does Ethereum stack up?

1. Yes Ethereum could be the base crypto, lots of things can be built on top of it, but link back to it when you need to transfer out to fiat.
2. Large existing banks might already have an interest in Ethereum, there is a very large pre-mine, where is it going?
3. Ethereum is very inflationary.

Result...

'They' will decide Ethereum gives consumers the benefits of crypto-currencies while giving the regulators the ability to regulate it and  ensure there are as few bad actors as possible.

They will make it legal for on-line retailers to accept Ethereum as payment and they will make legal Ethereum to fiat exchanges, administered by large existing banks.
However moving to fiat or making online purchases with any other crypto-currency will be illegal.   

Some investment banks are incredibly powerful and influential with large global footprints, they will be able to help ensure this model is also adopted in many other countries. This could make Ethereum insurmountable

This is only a hypothetical, but I came up with it because I thought the pre-mine and inflationary model was unattractive.
There's also not a lot of reason why people wouldn't fork Ethereum and create their own competing models with more attractive parameters. (less inflationary and no pre-mine.)

However Ethereum's inflationary model & large pre-mine (Which goes to?) would be appealing to TPTB.
By influencing regulations and laws in favour of Ethereum they could also ensure no competing models could threaten it.

Using this hypothesis, the way Ethereum is being approached starts to make a lot of sense.

Thoughts?

titan20

Activity: 427

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 12:24:36 AM

Is this the Ethereum gameplan?

Hypothetical scenario

Right now in the US they are busy struggling with how best to regulate crypto-currencies.

These are the potential conclusions I think they will draw...

1. It is too hard to try to regulate the hundreds of crypto-currencies that are out there.
2. Banking compliance is a serious business and issuing bit-licenses and trying to monitor hundreds of new untrusted exchanges is not feasible.
3. Crypto-currencies have deflationary tendencies which run counter to most existing currencies.

The potential solution...

1. It might be possible to regulate 1 base crypto-currency on which other things can be built.
2. Only large existing retail/investment banks with sufficient experience in banking compliance can be trusted as exchanges.
3. A reasonably inflationary crypto-currency would be ideal.

How does Ethereum stack up?

1. Yes Ethereum could be the base crypto, lots of things can be built on top of it, but link back to it when you need to transfer out to fiat.
2. Large existing banks might already have an interest in Ethereum, there is a very large pre-mine, where is it going?
3. Ethereum is very inflationary.

Result...

'They' will decide Ethereum gives consumers the benefits of crypto-currencies while giving the regulators the ability to regulate it and  ensure there are as few bad actors as possible.

They will make it legal for on-line retailers to accept Ethereum as payment and they will make legal Ethereum to fiat exchanges, administered by large existing banks.
However moving to fiat or making online purchases with any other crypto-currency will be illegal.   

Some investment banks are incredibly powerful and influential with large global footprints, they will be able to help ensure this model is also adopted in many other countries. This could make Ethereum insurmountable

This is only a hypothetical, but I came up with it because I thought the pre-mine and inflationary model was unattractive.
There's also not a lot of reason why people wouldn't fork Ethereum and create their own competing models with more attractive parameters. (less inflationary and no pre-mine.)

However Ethereum's inflationary model & large pre-mine (Which goes to?) would be appealing to TPTB.
By influencing regulations and laws in favour of Ethereum they could also ensure no competing models could threaten it.

Using this hypothesis, the way Ethereum is being approached starts to make a lot of sense.

Thoughts?

This is very hypothetical. Cryptocurrencies are a thread for the banking sector and their earning model (fractional banking and interest). You are right that they are very powerful and will influence lawmaking. 'They' will decide on it if it is a benefit for them, not for the consumer. So in my opinion cryptocurrencies have a long way to go. But i believe that the governments that embrace new technology will win and governments that make beneficial new technology illegal will lose.

AUTO COIN

▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀                       ▀█▄
▄▄▄▄ ▄█                           █▄ ▄▄▄▄
█   ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███   █
▀▀█▀                                 ▀█▀▀
▄▀                                     ▀▄
▄▄▀▄▄▄▄                                 ▄▄▄▄▀▄▄
█       ▀▀▄                           ▄▀▀       █
█          █                         █          █
█▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀█
▒▀▄       ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██       ▄▀▒
▒█▀▀▀▀▄▄  █              ▀              █  ▄▄▀▀▀▀█▒
▒█      █ ▀▄                           ▄▀ █      █▒
▒▀▄▀▄▄▄▄▀  █▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀█  ▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▒
▒▒▒▀▄▄▄▄▄ █                             █ ▄▄▄▄▄▀▒▒▒
 ▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
      Stand-Alone Solutions Set to Revolutionize the Automotive Sector     
WEBSITEWHITEPAPERTWITTERTELEGRAMFACEBOOKYOUTUBEINSTAGRAM
AltcoinBull

Activity: 58

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 02:33:37 AM

INVEST IN ETHEREUM NOW!

Ethereum is now available for 1000 ETH/ 1 BTC. Once ETH is launched by the developers, withdrawals become available.

Peercover.com (right side tab - Simple Gateway)!

https://i.imgur.com/Q3pu73g.png
wing_hk

Activity: 182

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 02:44:46 AM

Oh I thought the public fundraising has begun  Cheesy However I will just buy ETH from official channel.
Pages: « 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 ... 1310 »
  Print  

Jump to: