Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:36:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANNOUNCE] Electrum - Lightweight Bitcoin Client  (Read 274473 times)
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2012, 10:36:24 AM

@Tachikoma

For a Mac OSX APP/ DMG file you could probably use the MultiBit skeleton app to save you a bit of time.
You could either reuse or rewrite the maven build in the multibit code for the DMG file generation too.

I basically have a skeleton APP file with everything in it except the 'payload' - a Java jar in my case or your python code for Electrum.
I just copy into the APP directory tree the appropriate build artifacts.

The skeleton app is here:
https://github.com/jim618/multibit/tree/v0.5/src/app-resources

With the right icons and Info.plist settings it will look just like any othe Mac app to the users. It also does the bitcoin URI registration in the app metadata.

The multibit build also creates a DMG file with:
+ the app
+ an 'Applications' shortcut
+ a readme file

That is written in maven+ant so you might not want to use it directly but might be useful.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Tachikoma

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 08:21:25 AM

@Tachikoma

For a Mac OSX APP/ DMG file you could probably use the MultiBit skeleton app to save you a bit of time.
You could either reuse or rewrite the maven build in the multibit code for the DMG file generation too.

I basically have a skeleton APP file with everything in it except the 'payload' - a Java jar in my case or your python code for Electrum.
I just copy into the APP directory tree the appropriate build artifacts.

The skeleton app is here:
https://github.com/jim618/multibit/tree/v0.5/src/app-resources

With the right icons and Info.plist settings it will look just like any othe Mac app to the users. It also does the bitcoin URI registration in the app metadata.

The multibit build also creates a DMG file with:
+ the app
+ an 'Applications' shortcut
+ a readme file

That is written in maven+ant so you might not want to use it directly but might be useful.

I'm currently using Py2App which should take care of everything for me but sadly it does not seem to work consistently. I will take a look at your skeleton code and see if I could somehow make that work for me. The problem is that I need python inside the package as well, I'm guessing Java is an external dependency for you.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will let you know if I can make it work for me Smiley

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks | Bytesized Seedboxes BTC/LTC supported
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 08:53:43 AM
Last edit: August 07, 2012, 11:11:51 AM by jim618

Yes Java is an external dependency for me.

Another thing to note is that on OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion, there is now 'semi-mandatory' signing of your apps with a/your Apple Developer key. If you don't you get a rather abrupt error dialog. There is a single tick fix for it in your security settings as described here:

MultiBit help

It's the GateKeeper software and Apple moving people to downloading from the OSX App Store.

I have not yet looked into what it costs etc to get an Apple Dev key but can keep you informed.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
ErebusBat

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 01:06:08 PM

I think I might have tracked down some of the problems we were having with the gui_lite error and black screen.

Ping me when you get back in town.

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
Tachikoma

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2012, 02:26:01 PM

I think I might have tracked down some of the problems we were having with the gui_lite error and black screen.

Ping me when you get back in town.

Awesome, should be back on IRC tomorrow Smiley

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks | Bytesized Seedboxes BTC/LTC supported
Electrum

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 08:03:05 PM

New thread here, https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=100502.0
ThomasV (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2012, 10:16:13 AM

wtf, I come back from vacation to see that Electrum has been hijacked? :-)

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
JompinDox

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 10:37:12 AM

Just to be sure that I understand this correctly, is Electrum forking?
Will you still be involved?

Tips? 1ELECeJompinDox61L73eAUyaWpe3Q5HZB
Down with socks!
Tuxavant

Activity: 784

Bitcoin Mayor of Las Vegas

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2012, 11:27:54 AM

Ok, this is really fucking despicable. I have some chat logs with Amir on this topic I'll share later today. As a junior contributor to this project, one I am supremely enamoured with, I was really confused when I first saw this post so I reached out to find out what was going on. I got Amir's side of the story and he assured me there was no animosity between you two. Now with this response, I can clearly see what's happened and it's disgusting. I'm no software developer, but this is no fucking way to fork a project.

JompinDox

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 11:31:30 AM

Ok, this is really fucking despicable. I have some chat logs with Amir on this topic I'll share later today. As a junior contributor to this project, one I am supremely enamoured with, I was really confused when I first saw this post so I reached out to find out what was going on. I got Amir's side of the story and he assured me there was no animosity between you two. Now with this response, I can clearly see what's happened and it's disgusting. I'm no software developer, but this is no fucking way to fork a project.

Relax... You might have missed the little smiley...

It seems ThomasV is OK with it?

Tips? 1ELECeJompinDox61L73eAUyaWpe3Q5HZB
Down with socks!
memvola

Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 11:37:52 AM

I'm no software developer, but this is no fucking way to fork a project.

It seems pretty ordinary to me. Maybe developers should have been aware of the potential confusion and named the projects more appropriately (though if absolutely no new features will be added to Electrum, there might not be any confusion anyway). There is also a Chromium plug-in named Electrum which is totally compatible.
ThomasV (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2012, 12:40:37 PM

relax... this is not a fork, at least not for now :-)
I have no problem with people re-using and modifying my code; it is in fact the best thing that can happen to it.

Amir has been working hard to create a community around the project, and I see this as a positive thing.
I also told him that I was looking for someone else to take over the project, because I do not have enough time for it myself.

However, I did not mean to transfer the project to him in particular, and I did not expect this kind of 'take over' without concertation...
I do not know if Amir is the best person for managing that project, mostly because I do not think that a project that involves people's money can be run as an anarchy.

But well, he seems to be highly motivated and dedicated, and he's willing to spend more time than me on it at the moment. So, let it be that way. Time will tell if he succeeds.

Tuxavant

Activity: 784

Bitcoin Mayor of Las Vegas

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2012, 12:46:11 PM

I am extremely glad the stars have aligned. I too appreciate the effort Amir and the new swarm of developers has recently put into it. I was just very concerned with the way it was being taken over if you weren't supporting it - mostly that the Electrum brand was kept. But seeing that we're all on the same page of making Electrum (more) awesome, I am at peace and my insignificant opinion on this matter can fade into infinity.

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 12:51:07 PM

I am at peace and my insignificant opinion on this matter can fade into infinity

^^^ this one has definite signature material ...

genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 01:56:16 PM

My viewpoint:

ThomasV needed to focus on his work, and was in strictly maintenance mode for Electrum. He came and visited me in Berlin for a week and showed me around the codebase (we also had a cool time - he took me to see the city for the first time despite living there months Smiley. He wanted me to manage the project. But then we had disagreements over management styles (I started opening up the development and adding lots of contributors) because I prefer a more open bazaar approach over a cathedral.

I can understand the need for being cautious with a project that requires high security when dealing with money, but I think there are many other Free Software projects that do very well with an open development process where everything is made public in the eyes of the community. I prefer not to constrain artists with limitations. This can be seen with the rapid growth Electrum has been getting and the big strides we are making in usability. We're getting lots of feedback from users.

Anyway I don't want to fork ever. It is better to pool contributions where possible. In which case, maybe we should have Electrum Stable and Electrum Desktop versions.

The protocol is unlikely to change. I only want to improve the implementation (and that will take time). If the protocol does change, it might have the inclusion of the Bitcoin exchange rate. That won't mean that old clients would be affected. But this will take time. Also longer term though I have big improvements for the protocol but they require my thought (ThomasV pointed out that the constraint on low end devices is not computing resources but bandwidth).

In terms of the GUI, Animazing has been working a ton. Every change we add, seems to open up a few more needed features so we have a lot of work on that front to do. For sure, I think Electrum can have some massive improvements.
Tachikoma

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2012, 02:15:19 PM

It was my understanding from what I've been told that ThomasV was indeed stepping down as main lead for the project and Genjix was taking over his job. Everything I've done for the project was with that idea in mind.

I have the utmost respect for ThomasV and the work he has done on Electrum. If he is not happy with the direction the project has taken I will step down as contributor and focus my energy elsewhere.

greatwolf

Activity: 230
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 02:02:16 AM

When I run Electrum I get the following error:
Connected to ecdsa.org:50001
received error: {u'id': 4, u'error': u'limit reached'}

What in the what now?

I added a limit on the number of transactions that can be returned on requested addresses.
it is a DOS prevention measure.
the limit is probably too low. I will raise it if necessary.

I have received 109 transactions on one specific address and about ~120 in total. And now I get the error all the time. What should I do in order to be able to access the coins connected to that address? And what happens if more transactions are sent to that address now when I have reached the limit?

I'm running into the same problem as divergenta. I have one particular bitcoin address that has a lot of transactions associated with it and electrum just stopped working for me a few days ago. After contacting flatfly and troubleshooting the issue, he informed me of the upper transaction limit and directed me to this thread. It would be much appreciated if the transaction limits can be increased.
ThomasV (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2012, 03:59:09 AM

What in the what now?

I added a limit on the number of transactions that can be returned on requested addresses.

I have received 109 transactions on one specific address and about ~120 in total. And now I get the error all the time. What should I do in order to be able to access the coins connected to that address? And what happens if more transactions are sent to that address now when I have reached the limit?

I'm running into the same problem as divergenta. I have one particular bitcoin address that has a lot of transactions associated with it and electrum just stopped working for me a few days ago. After contacting flatfly and troubleshooting the issue, he informed me of the upper transaction limit and directed me to this thread. It would be much appreciated if the transaction limits can be increased.

the limit depends on the server you connect to.
find a server that does not have a limit at all, or bribe server operators so that they propose it.

Tachikoma

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2012, 07:31:15 AM

What in the what now?

find a server that does not have a limit at all, or bribe server operators so that they propose it.

I've tried to upgrade the limit on my server, electrum.bytesized-hosting.com, could you try connection to it and seeing if that solves your issue?

flatfly
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 05:36:26 PM

What in the what now?

I've tried to upgrade the limit on my server, electrum.bytesized-hosting.com, could you try connection to it and seeing if that solves your issue?

Hi Tachikoma, FYI:

Tachikoma was kind enough to upgrade the electrum.bytesized-hosting.com server already, could you try to connect to that one?

it looks like that server's working Smiley
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 »
  Print  

Jump to: