Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 02:09:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 1394 1395 1396 1397 1398 1399 1400 1401 1402 1403 1404 1405 1406 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 1412 1413 1414 1415 1416 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1422 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 1429 1430 1431 1432 [1433] 1434 1435 1436 1437 1438 1439 1440 1441 1442 1443 1444 1445 1446 1447 1448 1449 1450 1451 1452 1453 1454 1455 1456 1457 1458 1459 1460 1461 1462 1463 1464 1465 1466 1467 1468 1469 1470 1471 1472 1473 1474 1475 1476 1477 1478 1479 1480 1481 1482 1483 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032123 times)
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2015, 07:53:06 PM

the congestion really has only just begun.  if it persists, yes, ppl will start to stop using Bitcoin.  the exit starts slowly at first and then will morph into a stampede; especially if the price starts plunging.  the mempool is a problem that does have to be fixed so that ordinary users can start getting their tx's through.  they won't be as patient as some of us here.

Hi doc.  I can't help but notice with each passing day you sound more like a Buttcoiner.

No, with each passing day you sound more like a stalker. You are not able to attract people on your own thread.

And last week you were saying how much you like my posts bumping your thread to the top.  Are you allergic to logical consistency or what?

No one is forcing you to read my posts, this thread, or this forum.  You are free to use the Ignore button, or perhaps go play some golf.

This thread isn't moderated, but you may create one that is if you don't want to be pestered by people noting you sound exactly like a Buttcoiner, except say "Cripplecoin" instead.

your knee jerk mouthy masturbation stops you from even identifying who you're talking to.  you just assume any criticism comes from me while being unable to understand that most ppl around here think you're a thug aka Monero Pimp.  you're here to try and bring me down for the Cripplecoiners.  ain't gonna happen.

go blow more iCE, iCEBlow.

LOL, he sounded exactly like you!  Are you twins?   Shocked

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 07:58:34 PM

It's obvious the terms of the bet are ambiguous (Core vs XT will both claim to be the "real" Bitcoin)...

It's not ambiguous at all.  I win the bet if, by this time next year, a block larger than 1 MB exists on the longest proof-of-work chain whether that's XT, Core or something else.  You win the bet otherwise.

Care to make a wager, iCEBREAKER?  1 BTC that the longest proof-of-work chain contains a block larger than 1 MB by this time next year (10-Jul-2016).  Escrowed by someone in this thread (2-of-3 multisig), of course.

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 07:59:16 PM

He's just confused.  He seems to want some kind of centralized control:

I think it's time for miners to drop their max block size ASAP. Or maybe a better solution will be to simply up the min fees.

But then he (correctly) suggests that the miners should make these decisions.

Yes, that's why Bitcoin has an intelligent/human component: the miners. Miners are supposed to make decisions to help filter the spam and low priority traffic, so the real transactions aren't affected. The simplest way to do this is to increase the minimum transaction fee.

Well then I guess by his own argument the miners are not finding any issue with the network as it is running today.  Its not the MINERS that have an issue (or they WOULD change their block size), its Luke jr.

(same would happen if block size got "released" to 20 or 100 MB -- not that I'm advocating for this, I'm advocating for compromise -- the miners simply would not mine gargantuan blocks.  Except for one or 2 rogue miners who might do so every once in a while for the lulz)

GotaPauj

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 08:00:20 PM

I like gold, it shines, but bitcoin isa not a real coin
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 08:12:36 PM

if we are doing a hardfork anyway would lightening transactions help alleviate some of the spam attacks by creating instant transactions through locktime/multisig? Thus those that are attacked because they cant get their tx through for days can use lightening tx?
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 09:10:43 PM

The human aspect. What will happen (any blocksize really) if a powerful opponent fills the queue with spam transactions with high fee, like 0.01 BTC or even higher? A few million dollars could suffocate the functioning of bitcoin for months. My guess: As such situation is not advantageous for the miners despite the good fee money, they would find the spam transactions using heuristics, then fill blocks say half with spam transaction to take the good money, and half with normal transactions. The attack would be costly for the attacker, reduce the payment functionality to a degree, otherwise bitcoin would continue as always.

sickpig
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 09:23:17 PM

if we are doing a hardfork anyway would lightening transactions help alleviate some of the spam attacks by creating instant transactions through locktime/multisig? Thus those that are attacked because they cant get their tx through for days can use lightening tx?

LN would be opt- in I suppose, so if an attacker want to hit the block chain directly there's no way to block him, the Bitcoin network is open afterall. You could put in place mechanisms/incentives to dissuade those attacks, but they have to be at the protocol level I think (increase the dust fee threshold, remove tx priority based on coinbase age, ...).

Bitcoin is a participatory system which ought to respect the right of self determinism of all of its users - Gregory Maxwell.
sickpig
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 09:27:21 PM

So your take is that devs are going full "political" rather than technical? (serious question)

If yes, what's the way to unlock this impasse?
Exactly. The heavy political bent of the core developers was obvious to me since I joined this forum. I just underestimated the amount of internal tension and mutual distrust within that group until the March 2013 event.

My proposal was published late 2011 and I always wear it in my signature:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0

In one sentence:

Don't sign political slogans like "Chancellor on the brink...", sign the "digital prospectus" specifying exactly the rules of consensus and explicitly track their inevitable changes as the world evolves, including through the splits and joins that form a DAG (directed acyclic graph), not just forks.

Posted in this thread couple of days ago:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=68655.msg11664787#msg11664787

Thanks for the pointer, I will definetly have look. From a cursory Iook it seems I have a lot to digest Smiley

Bitcoin is a participatory system which ought to respect the right of self determinism of all of its users - Gregory Maxwell.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 09:38:58 PM

The human aspect. What will happen (any blocksize really) if a powerful opponent fills the queue with spam transactions with high fee, like 0.01 BTC or even higher? A few million dollars could suffocate the functioning of bitcoin for months. My guess: As such situation is not advantageous for the miners despite the good fee money, they would find the spam transactions using heuristics, then fill blocks say half with spam transaction to take the good money, and half with normal transactions. The attack would be costly for the attacker, reduce the payment functionality to a degree, otherwise bitcoin would continue as always.

i was pondering this the other day.  the best way to handle it?  no limit.  let the miners chew through high fees like that.  is it even spam at that point?  who cares?  those would be tremendous profit to miners and strengthen and drive the hashrate even higher securing Bitcoin even tighter.  which ultimately is the last thing the spammer wants which would eventually cause them to conclude it wasn't worth it.  and then stop.
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 09:49:05 PM

LN would be opt- in I suppose, so if an attacker want to hit the block chain directly there's no way to block him, the Bitcoin network is open afterall. You could put in place mechanisms/incentives to dissuade those attacks, but they have to be at the protocol level I think (increase the dust fee threshold, remove tx priority based on coinbase age, ...).

It won't be necessary to rely on LN-type solutions to overcome spam. The correct solutions exist to handle it.

This major spam attack has been instructive, and some good things will come from it, most importantly Jeff's solution to clean up tx prioritization with a fee/KB basis and a 288 block mempool expiry, and dynamic dust threshold. If it takes this type of attack to make blue-hat thinking reach the codebase - then great.

The attack was much worse than it should have been, peaking around 90,000 tx, would have been about 16,000 tx if the dust threshold was not cut in a software change last year. Mike proposed this because btc had reached the $500 region, but it was a premature proposal and simply left a bigger window for spamming.

The biggest defense to spam is the coin dust threshold, secondly it is fees. In fact, spam can be defined as txout<coin_dust, so this value should be high enough to eliminate most noise, and fees prioritize beyond that.
Greg wants software improvements in adversity, well he is getting that with wallet software, which has been the great success of decentralization, since there must be a hundred wallet providers now, of all types. So there is a lot of inertia to change, and a lot of wallet developers were happy to let a simple default fee apply to their user's tx, this is no longer sufficient. Wallets need to be more intelligent about confirmation delays and act  by raising and lowering fees acoordingly. This is happening.

It is amazing how resilient the network is with long periods of full blocks, but anyone who thinks that this is a green light for 1MB4EVR is misreading the situation. A lot of users are upset about delayed tx, but they could have applied a higher fee to beat the spam attack. This is fine when blocks are normally 40% of the of the limit. But this is not a solution when blocks are full of sensible, real-world, kosher tx. Users battling each other for block space with higher fees will be the point where the PR disaster begins.

Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 09:51:23 PM

i was pondering this the other day.  the best way to handle it?  no limit.  let the miners chew through high fees like that.  is it even spam at that point?  who cares?  those would be tremendous profit to miners and strengthen and drive the hashrate even higher securing Bitcoin even tighter.  which ultimately is the last thing the spammer wants which would eventually cause them to conclude it wasn't worth it.  and then stop.

Yep.
Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 09:54:16 PM

It will cost 40 BTC per block,  240 BTC per hour, 5 760 BTC/day,  40 320/week, 161 280/month and 1 935 360/year. ... I'll hold or just pay 0.0101 per transaction :-)
inca
Legendary

Activity: 1176

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 09:55:04 PM

If bitcoin ceases to have utility due to network disruption then it will also rapidly lose it's exchange value. That is not in the interest of miners.
justusranvier
Legendary

Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 10:06:52 PM

The only reason we have to talk about spam is because the resource allocation of network bandwidth and storage isn't handled very well.

Nobody is ever going to agree on what is or is not spam, so a more productive solution is to make whatever changes to the network are needed to ensure that everybody pays for what they use.

Once that condition is achieved, it doesn't matter how many resources people use.
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 10:07:38 PM

If the attack was to dissuade users from using it because of the confirmation time of their tx's then wouldn't increasing the confirmation of their spend be enough to limit these type of attacks?
Odalv
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 10:32:29 PM

Using LN after opening payment channel you can make "a lot of" transactions ( 10, 100, 1000, 10000 ) for free. You will pay fee when you close this channel. So it is not a problem for anybody to pay $10(or even $100) per BITCOIN transaction and make 10,000 LN transactions. It will cost you $0.01 per transaction.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 10:36:03 PM

It will cost 40 BTC per block,  240 BTC per hour, 5 760 BTC/day,  40 320/week, 161 280/month and 1 935 360/year. ... I'll hold or just pay 0.0101 per transaction :-)

but can't you see that w/o a limit Bitcoin actually could inflict huge economic losses on an attacker that keeps trying or goes too far.  there's a dark, unknown ceiling there for him that could inflict serious losses.  i for one would love to see that happen as it would strengthen miners greatly as well as Bitcoin generally.  this is what we've always wanted for miners; fee income security to replace block rewards.  no amount of block heuristics, rules, limits, or sizes can predict the appropriate amount of "regulation" by core dev.  they need to open up the limit and let free mkt forces run.  b/c Bitcoin is open and honest, it will crush anyone wanting to damage it thru nefarious means.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 10:40:09 PM

If bitcoin ceases to have utility due to network disruption then it will also rapidly lose it's exchange value. That is not in the interest of miners.

why would miners ever let disruption happen when they have the power to react by trimming down the sizes of the blocks they produce while in tandem being able to adjust minfee?
Odalv
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 10:41:20 PM

It will cost 40 BTC per block,  240 BTC per hour, 5 760 BTC/day,  40 320/week, 161 280/month and 1 935 360/year. ... I'll hold or just pay 0.0101 per transaction :-)

but can't you see that w/o a limit Bitcoin actually could inflict huge economic losses on an attacker that keeps trying or goes too far.  there's a dark, unknown path there for him that could inflict serious losses.  i for one would love to see that happen as it would strengthen miners greatly as well as Bitcoin generally.  this is what we've always wanted for miners; fee income security to replace block rewards.  no amount of block heuristics, rules, limits, or sizes can predict the appropriate amount of "regulation" by core dev.  they need to open up the limit and let free mkt forces run.  b/c Bitcoin is open and honest, it will crush anyone wanting to damage it thru nefarious means.

No one will pay you 0.01 BTC per transaction if they can pay you NOTHING. People are not idiots. They will flood you with useless transactions for free.

Edit:
Believe me. If it is 1 MB, 10 MB, 100 MB or 10,000 MB ... once it is free they will eat you.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 10:54:05 PM

but can't you see that w/o a limit Bitcoin actually could inflict huge economic losses on an attacker that keeps trying or goes too far.  there's a dark, unknown path there for him that could inflict serious losses.  i for one would love to see that happen as it would strengthen miners greatly as well as Bitcoin generally.  this is what we've always wanted for miners; fee income security to replace block rewards.  no amount of block heuristics, rules, limits, or sizes can predict the appropriate amount of "regulation" by core dev.  they need to open up the limit and let free mkt forces run.  b/c Bitcoin is open and honest, it will crush anyone wanting to damage it thru nefarious means.

No one will pay you 0.01 BTC per transaction if they can pay you NOTHING. People are not idiots. They will flood you with useless transactions for free.

Edit:
Believe me. If it is 1 MB, 10 MB, 100 MB or 10,000 MB ... once it is free they will eat you.

Are you deaf? All they have to do is employ minfee.
Pages: « 1 ... 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 1394 1395 1396 1397 1398 1399 1400 1401 1402 1403 1404 1405 1406 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 1412 1413 1414 1415 1416 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1422 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 1429 1430 1431 1432 [1433] 1434 1435 1436 1437 1438 1439 1440 1441 1442 1443 1444 1445 1446 1447 1448 1449 1450 1451 1452 1453 1454 1455 1456 1457 1458 1459 1460 1461 1462 1463 1464 1465 1466 1467 1468 1469 1470 1471 1472 1473 1474 1475 1476 1477 1478 1479 1480 1481 1482 1483 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: