Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:53:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 [303] 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312340 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 02:34:19 AM
Last edit: May 26, 2015, 02:55:45 AM by ArticMine

btw are there any insights regarding the conferences in europe someone wants to share?

It looks like fluffy is getting himself busy: http://search.bitcoin-assets.com/?q=monero Grin

good to have MP onboard.

Is it a good thing to have MP on board? It seems pretty clear that Satoshi intended for larger blocks to come back (apparently original block size was 32 MB in bitcoin), and MP and his acolytes have been trolling hard to prevent any change and keep 1 MB blocks. XMR devs have committed to changing the code to add infinite inflation, 1% a year I think; is it unreasonable to think he would be virulently opposed to a significant change like this in Monero, even though it's essentially already agreed upon? Not saying it's necessarily a bad thing he if he is a Monero holder/supporter, just that maybe could be more trouble than it's worth...

Monero has adaptive blocksize limits which means there is no fixed 1MB (or some other size) blocksize cast in stone as in the case not only with Bitcoin but also with the vast majority of alt-coins. This is the reason why I found out about Monero in the first place and one of the reasons why I am a strong supporter of Monero.

Edit: Forking Monero to add fixed blocksize limits would be a huge violation of the social covenant.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4872

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 02:35:05 AM

Wat? If I had a sock account it would be you. Why do you keep quoting me and proving me correct? Do you even understand what 3,2,1 countdown means?

Here let me re-quote more of this post for you from a month ago.

More Like 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1....

OK, So I still think we can expect .002 - .0018 to be the low before a big upswing back above .003+.  What I'm not sure on is the time frame.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1103

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 02:55:33 AM

Is it a good thing to have MP on board? It seems pretty clear that Satoshi intended for larger blocks to come back (apparently original block size was 32 MB in bitcoin), and MP and his acolytes have been trolling hard to prevent any change and keep 1 MB blocks. XMR devs have committed to changing the code to add infinite inflation, 1% a year I think; is it unreasonable to think he would be virulently opposed to a significant change like this in Monero, even though it's essentially already agreed upon? Not saying it's necessarily a bad thing he if he is a Monero holder/supporter, just that maybe could be more trouble than it's worth...

Satoshi is gone, heres what the current devs say about it: https://np.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/379ce5/the_lightning_network_requires_blocks_larger_than/crkspgl

Peter Todd is a developer. __The__ developer says that 20 MB blocks should be implemented in ~1 year, and I believe has already made public the code in a github repo. Also, I think it was pretty clear from some of satoshi's writing that 1 MB blocks were a temporary measure to combat spam, and he was considering (re-)raising the limit back in 2010: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1347.msg15366#msg15366 (he's even going to send out an alert telling people to update, just wait and see). Anyway, my point was that I'm not a fan of the tactics employed by Mircea Poopoo and his entourage in attempting to derail the increase in Bitcoin block size, what peripheral devs think not withstanding.

Also, I know Monero has adaptive block size. I was commenting that Monero still needs to hard fork to implement permanent inflation rewards, and that maybe MP will be bellyache/troll similar to how he has over increasing bitcoin block size. It's kind of a scarcity issue along the same lines I think.
kazuki49

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 02:57:08 AM

Also, I know Monero has adaptive block size. I was commenting that Monero still needs to hard fork to implement permanent inflation rewards, and that maybe MP will be bellyache/troll similar to how he has over increasing bitcoin block size. It's kind of a scarcity issue along the same lines I think.

The inflation rewards are already in the code, no hardfork needed. This was always said to take place in the future. I dont think MP supports Monero (only him could say that), I merely pointed the link to an irc chatroom log.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 03:06:09 AM

Satoshi is gone, heres what the current devs say about it: https://np.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/379ce5/the_lightning_network_requires_blocks_larger_than/crkspgl

Peter Todd is a developer. __The__ developer says that 20 MB blocks should be implemented in ~1 year, and I believe has already made public the code in a github repo. Also, I think it was pretty clear from some of satoshi's writing that 1 MB blocks were a temporary measure to combat spam, and he was considering (re-)raising the limit back in 2010: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1347.msg15366#msg15366 (he's even going to send out an alert telling people to update, just wait and see). Anyway, my point was that I'm not a fan of the tactics employed by Mircea Poopoo and his entourage in attempting to derail the increase in Bitcoin block size, what peripheral devs think not withstanding.

I love these old threads. Two years since I brought the thread back from the dead by quoting satoshi and still nothing!

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
kazuki49

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 03:12:54 AM

I love these old threads. Two years since I brought the thread back from the dead by quoting satoshi and still nothing!

I like the prophetic:

If we upgrade now, we don't have to convince as much people later if the bitcoin economy continues to grow.

A warning to Monero today! It better do all hardforks necessary ASASAP (as soon and as safe as possible)
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1103

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 03:27:50 AM

The inflation rewards are already in the code, no hardfork needed. This was always said to take place in the future. I dont think MP supports Monero (only him could say that), I merely pointed the link to an irc chatroom log.

Ohyea, I see where it is used:
https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/blob/master/src/cryptonote_core/cryptonote_basic_impl.cpp#L63

And defined as 0.3 XMR:
https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/blob/master/src/cryptonote_config.h#L54

GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2015, 03:30:01 AM

I like the prophetic:

If we upgrade now, we don't have to convince as much people later if the bitcoin economy continues to grow.

A warning to Monero today! It better do all hardforks necessary ASASAP (as soon and as safe as possible)

yeah, which is why I started this thread:

https://forum.getmonero.org/6/ideas/301/other-numbers-that-could-be-adaptive-in-order-to-prevent-network-failure-in-the-future-when-politics-of-a-dominant-blockchain-prohibit-modification

another prophetic gem from that historic post:

"I agree, especially since generators are both the source of blocks and "votes" in the network.  Since a block restriction would allow generators to charge higher transaction fees, they might "vote" against an increase in the max size in the future.

It seems unlikely to be a real problem though."

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 04:04:40 AM

It was interesting to me how the volume and volatility just evaporated during the BCT "social engineering attack".  Whatever the *%*& that was.
shmadz
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

@theshmadz

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 09:07:03 AM

i tried it, worked well.
unfortunately they send with mixing 0, rest worked fine for me. sometimes the price they offer is not so good, sometimes its better than on the exchange.

Hmm, I haven't tried it myself, but I could've sworn that I read Shapeshift uses mixin 3 now. I thought it was on reddit, but not seeing it now. Did you try within the last week or two, or longer ago than that?

They set it back to zero because of some problems with dust outputs or something. I don't know who received that message, but if you read this, please come and elaborate more on this matter (or perhaps shapeshift itself could elaborate?).

Just fyi,
I just tried shapeshift, (I just can't say no to +500 xmr/btc) - the transaction was done with mixin = 1

Looks completely obfuscated to me, but I'm really only starting to experiment with Monero transactions.

"You have no moral right to rule us, nor do you possess any methods of enforcement that we have reason to fear." - John Perry Barlow, 1996
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2015, 11:40:28 AM

i tried it, worked well.
unfortunately they send with mixing 0, rest worked fine for me. sometimes the price they offer is not so good, sometimes its better than on the exchange.

Hmm, I haven't tried it myself, but I could've sworn that I read Shapeshift uses mixin 3 now. I thought it was on reddit, but not seeing it now. Did you try within the last week or two, or longer ago than that?

They set it back to zero because of some problems with dust outputs or something. I don't know who received that message, but if you read this, please come and elaborate more on this matter (or perhaps shapeshift itself could elaborate?).

Just fyi,
I just tried shapeshift, (I just can't say no to +500 xmr/btc) - the transaction was done with mixin = 1

Looks completely obfuscated to me, but I'm really only starting to experiment with Monero transactions.

I just looked through my IRC log, and I'm not entirely sure, but it looks like the lowered mixins have to do with too many support tickets cropping up because the wallet software gets messed up with random huge transactions due to "not enough outputs to mix". So, my interpretation is that for personal use, you could fix this kind of error just by retrying with different send amounts etc, but with an automated system (like shapeshift) it doesn't work as well.

In general, I think this phenomenon is on the to do list, wherein the codebase will be modified such that any output can be utilized for a ring signature, as opposed to just unspent outputs. This has the effect of increasing the total number of available outputs for inclusion in the ring signature. This was in one of our podcasts somewhere.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
equipoise

Activity: 794

Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2015, 12:17:19 PM

i tried it, worked well.

Just fyi,

I just looked through my IRC log, and I'm not entirely sure, but it looks like the lowered mixins have to do with too many support tickets cropping up because the wallet software gets messed up with random huge transactions due to "not enough outputs to mix". So, my interpretation is that for personal use, you could fix this kind of error just by retrying with different send amounts etc, but with an automated system (like shapeshift) it doesn't work as well.

In general, I think this phenomenon is on the to do list, wherein the codebase will be modified such that any output can be utilized for a ring signature, as opposed to just unspent outputs. This has the effect of increasing the total number of available outputs for inclusion in the ring signature. This was in one of our podcasts somewhere.
A workaround for shapeshift could be: 1) receive/send with two digits XMR precision + 2) regularly/automatically consolidating amounts between two hot wallets. 2) could help poloniex with the same issue, but I'm not sure they'll want to enforce 1) (one more mining directly to polo problem). 

About me | zRMicroArray - phase 2 - Gene Expression Analysis software | [Weed Like to Talk - Bulgaria] Start a wave of cannabis seminars in Europe | Monero weighted average price stats: moneroprice.i2p
BTC: 1KoCX7TWKVGwqmmFw3CKyUSrKRSStueZar | NMC: NKhYEYpe1Le9MwHrwKsdSm5617J4toVar9 | XMR (Tip me a beer OpenAlias Monero address): tip.changetheworldwork.com
[XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency: 4AyRmUcxzefB5quumzK3HNE4zmCiGc8vhG6fE1oJpGVyVZF7fvDgSpt3MzgLfQ6Q1719xQhmfkM9Z2u NXgDMqYhjJVmc6KX
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 12:18:54 PM

i tried it, worked well.

Just fyi,

A workaround for shapeshift could be: 1) receive/send with two digits XMR precision + 2) regularly/automatically consolidating amounts between two hot wallets. 2) could help poloniex with the same issue, but I'm not sure they'll want to enforce 1) (one more mining directly to polo problem). 

You can't stricly enforce 1), people can make mistakes, or they can decide to "bloat" your wallet maliciously.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 12:26:26 PM

I found the meetup in Berlin quite productive. It was actually the only physical gathering ever with 3 largest CK(G) holders present and able to discuss both the immediate and the most long-term strategies for the game, in depth without interruption. The public meeting also proved to increase the understanding among the key principals, and yes - some smallholders and newcomers were present as well Smiley

(For me the goals for attending the meeting were mostly interaction with people I already know, and they were fulfilled nicely)

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
equipoise

Activity: 794

Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2015, 12:53:01 PM

i tried it, worked well.

Just fyi,

You can't stricly enforce 1), people can make mistakes, or they can decide to "bloat" your wallet maliciously.
They could round down to the second digit and then also subtract 0.01 or 0.02 XMR (wallet consolidation fee) from each deposit. This way they'll be able to keep the withdraw fee the same or even lower it while increasing the mixin to 3-10 for withdraws. Wallet consolidation fee may also discourage mining directly to the exchange. Whoever decide to ""bloat" your wallet maliciously" would pay the fee to consolidate it again. Could they possibly (legally?) enforce that?

About me | zRMicroArray - phase 2 - Gene Expression Analysis software | [Weed Like to Talk - Bulgaria] Start a wave of cannabis seminars in Europe | Monero weighted average price stats: moneroprice.i2p
BTC: 1KoCX7TWKVGwqmmFw3CKyUSrKRSStueZar | NMC: NKhYEYpe1Le9MwHrwKsdSm5617J4toVar9 | XMR (Tip me a beer OpenAlias Monero address): tip.changetheworldwork.com
[XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency: 4AyRmUcxzefB5quumzK3HNE4zmCiGc8vhG6fE1oJpGVyVZF7fvDgSpt3MzgLfQ6Q1719xQhmfkM9Z2u NXgDMqYhjJVmc6KX
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4872

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 01:09:39 PM

XMR added.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/bitcoin-price-ticker/?src=api

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
medusa13

Activity: 453
Merit: 500

hello world

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 04:43:46 PM

am i the only one that feels that the 25k daily limit on polo may slow down monero's growth?
why should somone bet on 10 dollar monero prices if they wont be able to cash out quick enough. I am sure not the only one that feels uncomfortable with the situation, no?
not that i think it will happen tomorrow, but still.

yes, 25k is a lot, i agree, it's a lot for me too. nevertheless the situation might happen where one wants to withdrawl more and quicker.
same goes for marketmakers and fake wall makers. the market just wont be the same like that...

did you hear anything about another exchange? please feed me with the newest rumours!
a big OTC market maybe would do it too for the moment. should check out the OTC chanell on freenode, never been there.

we have to talk about this. Its sure not the desired situation to have the only liquid xmr market on an exchange where you need to register.

maybe this is not the right place, but the whole topic surely affects price/volume/market sentiment

XMR Monero
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2015, 04:51:24 PM

am i the only one that feels that the 25k daily limit on polo may slow down monero's growth?
why should somone bet on 10 dollar monero prices if they wont be able to cash out quick enough. I am sure not the only one that feels uncomfortable with the situation, no?

yes, 25k is a lot, i agree, it's a lot for me too. nevertheless the situation might happen where one wants to withdrawl more and quicker.
same goes for marketmakers and fake wall makers. the market just wont be the same like that...

did you hear anything about another exchange? please feed me with the newest rumours!
a big OTC market maybe would do it too for the moment. should check out the OTC chanell on freenode, never been there.

we have to talk about this. Its sure not the desired situation to have the only liquid xmr market on an exchange where you need to register.

maybe this is not the right place, but the whole topic surely affects price/volume/market sentiment

If the limits are too limiting, bring it up with support. They're flexible given due circumstances.
medusa13

Activity: 453
Merit: 500

hello world

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 04:55:16 PM
Last edit: May 26, 2015, 05:11:14 PM by medusa13

If the limits are too limiting, bring it up with support. They're flexible given due circumstances.

i allready asked this question. they said to me the limit is the maximum, they said it's not possible to raise it because its part of the law they are following.
in the past, limits could've always been raised, but this was before this all happend..

XMR Monero
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 05:31:38 PM

i allready asked this question. they said to me the limit is the maximum, they said it's not possible to raise it because its part of the law they are following.
in the past, limits could've always been raised, but this was before this all happend..

It's 25k per 24 hours, so within 25 hours you can get 50k USD out, which is approximately 110k of Monero given current prices. In my opinion this is sufficient, since it was estimated by rpietila that there are only around 8 holders with over 100k (reference -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=702140.msg11031502#msg11031502). Furthermore, by the time Monero is worth a lot more (e.g. 10$ like you stated) there will probably be better options to unlimitedly cash out. I don't think we should really worry about this, it could also be an advantage that we have a legitimate exchange (or atleast one that complies) with the biggest volume. Don't forget that Cryptsy and Bittrex are also in the USA, so they probably have to implement these kind of limitations and rules as well (I don't know this for sure though, I don't know the precise US law regarding this and also don't have a reliable source).  

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
Pages: « 1 ... 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 [303] 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: