Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 06:14:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 [304] 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312340 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
medusa13

Activity: 453
Merit: 500

hello world

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 05:48:59 PM

yeah maybe i just dramatize. Cheesy
with current xmr prices i am not affected too, but we all know how fast things can turn around here.

i just want to say, longterm, we need at least one liquid alternate market without regulation as long as possible
it does not need to be the leading exchange, but at least the option should exist.

if enough people raise their voice for it, it might happen

XMR Monero
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2015, 05:56:53 PM

yeah maybe i just dramatize. Cheesy
with current xmr prices i am not affected too, but we all know how fast things can turn around here.

i just want to say, longterm, we need at least one liquid alternate market without regulation as long as possible
it does not need to be the leading exchange, but at least the option should exist.

if enough people raise their voice for it, it might happen

Indeed.

Try here too: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=946174.msg11418649#msg11418649

I don't know how much the CN code base may or may not be compatible, but seems worth exploring:

"Many more currencies and crypto-assets will be added in the future if they are in high demand by Mercury users. Rather than supporting all altcoins, I strongly believe in only supporting cryptocurrencies that provide real value, especially innovative "Bitcoin 2.0" technologies. Any crypto-asset can be tradable on Mercury, as long as it at least supports transaction scripts like Bitcoin's."
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 07:33:41 PM

i tried it, worked well.
unfortunately they send with mixing 0, rest worked fine for me. sometimes the price they offer is not so good, sometimes its better than on the exchange.

Hmm, I haven't tried it myself, but I could've sworn that I read Shapeshift uses mixin 3 now. I thought it was on reddit, but not seeing it now. Did you try within the last week or two, or longer ago than that?

They set it back to zero because of some problems with dust outputs or something. I don't know who received that message, but if you read this, please come and elaborate more on this matter (or perhaps shapeshift itself could elaborate?).

Just fyi,
I just tried shapeshift, (I just can't say no to +500 xmr/btc) - the transaction was done with mixin = 1

Looks completely obfuscated to me, but I'm really only starting to experiment with Monero transactions.

I just looked through my IRC log, and I'm not entirely sure, but it looks like the lowered mixins have to do with too many support tickets cropping up because the wallet software gets messed up with random huge transactions due to "not enough outputs to mix". So, my interpretation is that for personal use, you could fix this kind of error just by retrying with different send amounts etc, but with an automated system (like shapeshift) it doesn't work as well.

In general, I think this phenomenon is on the to do list, wherein the codebase will be modified such that any output can be utilized for a ring signature, as opposed to just unspent outputs. This has the effect of increasing the total number of available outputs for inclusion in the ring signature. This was in one of our podcasts somewhere.
A workaround for shapeshift could be: 1) receive/send with two digits XMR precision + 2) regularly/automatically consolidating amounts between two hot wallets. 2) could help poloniex with the same issue, but I'm not sure they'll want to enforce 1) (one more mining directly to polo problem). 

You can't stricly enforce 1), people can make mistakes, or they can decide to "bloat" your wallet maliciously.
They could round down to the second digit and then also subtract 0.01 or 0.02 XMR (wallet consolidation fee) from each deposit. This way they'll be able to keep the withdraw fee the same or even lower it while increasing the mixin to 3-10 for withdraws. Wallet consolidation fee may also discourage mining directly to the exchange. Whoever decide to ""bloat" your wallet maliciously" would pay the fee to consolidate it again. Could they possibly (legally?) enforce that?

It's just offsetting the cumulative worst-case cost to *all* users. I suppose it might be acceptable for an exchange, maybe less for shapeshift or xmr.to; I can speak at least for xmr.to, this is not an experience we'd like to offer to users.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 09:05:37 PM

am i the only one that feels that the 25k daily limit on polo may slow down monero's growth?
why should somone bet on 10 dollar monero prices if they wont be able to cash out quick enough. I am sure not the only one that feels uncomfortable with the situation, no?
not that i think it will happen tomorrow, but still.

yes, 25k is a lot, i agree, it's a lot for me too. nevertheless the situation might happen where one wants to withdrawl more and quicker.
same goes for marketmakers and fake wall makers. the market just wont be the same like that...

did you hear anything about another exchange? please feed me with the newest rumours!
a big OTC market maybe would do it too for the moment. should check out the OTC chanell on freenode, never been there.

we have to talk about this. Its sure not the desired situation to have the only liquid xmr market on an exchange where you need to register.

maybe this is not the right place, but the whole topic surely affects price/volume/market sentiment

If the limits are too limiting, bring it up with support. They're flexible given due circumstances.

i allready asked this question. they said to me the limit is the maximum, they said it's not possible to raise it because its part of the law they are following.
in the past, limits could've always been raised, but this was before this all happend..

I'm very curious what law they are following which states you cannot move >25k of your own money after all verifications of identity are in place.

kazuki49

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 09:36:47 PM

am i the only one that feels that the 25k daily limit on polo may slow down monero's growth?
why should somone bet on 10 dollar monero prices if they wont be able to cash out quick enough. I am sure not the only one that feels uncomfortable with the situation, no?

yes, 25k is a lot, i agree, it's a lot for me too. nevertheless the situation might happen where one wants to withdrawl more and quicker.
same goes for marketmakers and fake wall makers. the market just wont be the same like that...

did you hear anything about another exchange? please feed me with the newest rumours!
a big OTC market maybe would do it too for the moment. should check out the OTC chanell on freenode, never been there.

we have to talk about this. Its sure not the desired situation to have the only liquid xmr market on an exchange where you need to register.

maybe this is not the right place, but the whole topic surely affects price/volume/market sentiment

If the limits are too limiting, bring it up with support. They're flexible given due circumstances.

i allready asked this question. they said to me the limit is the maximum, they said it's not possible to raise it because its part of the law they are following.
in the past, limits could've always been raised, but this was before this all happend..

I'm very curious what law they are following which states you cannot move >25k of your own money after all verifications of identity are in place.

I'm sure if thats the case its all done to protect your "freedom".
wpalczynski
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 10:07:04 PM

Although I agree that 25k is a lot of monero right now it wouldn't be if it went back up to its high of 5 or 6 dollars.  This limit would make it hard for people who like to hop in and out of currency unless they keep their crypto on the exchange.  I wonder if they will make exceptions.

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 10:11:49 PM

Although I agree that 25k is a lot of monero right now it wouldn't be if it went back up to its high of 5 or 6 dollars.  This limit would make it hard for people who like to hop in and out of currency unless they keep their crypto on the exchange.  I wonder if they will make exceptions.

If Monero goes up in price for this to be an issue the market will solve this problem with exchanges that are not limited to a 25,000 USD withdrawal per day and / or multiple exchanges in different jurisdictions. The best solution to this kind of problem is a wide diversity in exchange providers, exchange types, jurisdictions etc.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
wpalczynski
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 10:15:20 PM
Last edit: May 26, 2015, 10:40:49 PM by wpalczynski

If Monero goes up in price for this to be an issue the market will solve this problem with exchanges that are not limited to a 25,000 USD withdrawal per day and / or multiple exchanges in different jurisdictions. The best solution to this kind of problem is a wide diversity in exchange providers, exchange types, jurisdictions etc.

Whats the largest USD withdrawals from the larger BTC exchanges you guys heard about?  Do they have limits?  Could you withdraw a mil?

shmadz
Legendary

Activity: 1512

@theshmadz

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 12:02:46 AM

Whats the largest USD withdrawals from the larger BTC exchanges you guys heard about?  Do they have limits?  Could you withdraw a mil?

CaVirtex was the highest limit I had seen at 200k

Could you withdraw a mil? Not a chance. There is no where near that kind of liquidity on virtex... maybe slowly over the course of a year...

"You have no moral right to rule us, nor do you possess any methods of enforcement that we have reason to fear." - John Perry Barlow, 1996
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 12:46:49 AM

CaVirtex was the highest limit I had seen at 200k

Could you withdraw a mil? Not a chance. There is no where near that kind of liquidity on virtex... maybe slowly over the course of a year...
Withdraw is not the same as sell...
celestio

Activity: 770

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 01:03:32 AM

Whats the limit for BTC-E and those other exchanges?

"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime" - Satoshi Nakamoto, June 17, 2010
shmadz
Legendary

Activity: 1512

@theshmadz

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 01:44:00 AM

Sure, but I can't think of another reason you'd want to withdraw a million dollars from an exchange? How did those million dollars get there? Likely you want to liquidate your 2010 stash and you're looking to cash out, right?

"You have no moral right to rule us, nor do you possess any methods of enforcement that we have reason to fear." - John Perry Barlow, 1996
wpalczynski
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 01:47:30 AM

Sure, but I can't think of another reason you'd want to withdraw a million dollars from an exchange? How did those million dollars get there? Likely you want to liquidate your 2010 stash and you're looking to cash out, right?

Whale trading.. if weeks or months in between trades you wouldn't want to keep Fiat or BTC on an exchange.

explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 01:53:47 AM

Sure, but liquidate over a period of days or weeks, withdraw at a different rate... I know cavirtex for example, had offered to raise limits on a prearranged, case by case basis.  Not sure what the new owners, or other exchanges offer. 
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4873

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 02:00:56 AM

Welcome to AmeriKa.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
kazuki49

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 02:48:30 AM

I think it's high time that btc-e dropped all those nonsense dinosaur coins and replace them with XMR. It just makes sense.

The longer they take to add Monero while keeping these shitcoin, worse are their perceived image overall IMO, Cryptsy e.g. has 0 trust from me now.
futureofbitcoin

Activity: 322

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 03:44:12 AM

I think it's high time that btc-e dropped all those nonsense dinosaur coins and replace them with XMR. It just makes sense.

The longer they take to add Monero while keeping these shitcoin, worse are their perceived image overall IMO, Cryptsy e.g. has 0 trust from me now.

Lol, so self-centered. Unfortunately the world doesn't care what you think, dude. Most people don't know about monero. Most bitcoiners. Not adding monero isn't going to do anything to their image, at least not yet.

This overly delusional optimism is really harming monero's image just like delusional bitcoiners harm bitcoin's image. You guys need to be realistic while being optimistic. Sure, maybe monero has promise. But as of now, it's really not that significant yet.
kazuki49

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 03:47:25 AM

Lol, so self-centered. Unfortunately the world doesn't care what you think, dude. Most people don't know about monero. Most bitcoiners. Not adding monero isn't going to do anything to their image, at least not yet.

This overly delusional optimism is really harming monero's image just like delusional bitcoiners harm bitcoin's image. You guys need to be realistic while being optimistic. Sure, maybe monero has promise. But as of now, it's really not that significant yet.

perception is reality, what part of "IMO" and "from me" you missed?
mrkavasaki

Activity: 888
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 03:57:10 AM

monero are dying Cry

generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2015, 04:35:04 AM

monero are dying Cry

It would be Moneroj are dying or Monero is dying, knowhere-man.

And what's a  VIP-Sr? Do you get special treatment at the octogenarian strip club?

Pages: « 1 ... 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 [304] 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: