Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:08:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 ... 162 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S4 Discussion and Support Thread  (Read 301198 times)
Prelude
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 05:26:06 AM

Well I found this info from here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=656461.0.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chip specs: BM1382

Process Node: 28nm
Package Type: FCQFN-56
Packaged Chip Size: 8mm x 8mm
Number of Cores: 63
Core Voltage: 0.75 V
Core Frequency: 250 MHz
Hash Rate: 15.75 GH/s
Power Consumption: 0.59 J/GH (chip level, and it can be lower to 0.40J/GH by lowering the core voltage)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The chips in the S4 are BM1382, and the antminer S4 is defaulted at 0.72V and 200MHz frequency, does that mean it's under-volted?

According to the BM1382 specs, it should be able to run at 0.75v and 250MHz without any problems... So why aren't we given that as the defaults?

Power consumption and efficiency. You'd need a much more powerful PSU to run 250 MHz @ .75v.
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pikachuy

Activity: 544
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 08:25:21 AM

Well I found this info from here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=656461.0.
Chip specs: BM1382

Process Node: 28nm
Package Type: FCQFN-56
Packaged Chip Size: 8mm x 8mm
Number of Cores: 63
Core Voltage: 0.75 V
Core Frequency: 250 MHz
Hash Rate: 15.75 GH/s
Power Consumption: 0.59 J/GH (chip level, and it can be lower to 0.40J/GH by lowering the core voltage)

The chips in the S4 are BM1382, and the antminer S4 is defaulted at 0.72V and 200MHz frequency, does that mean it's under-volted?

According to the BM1382 specs, it should be able to run at 0.75v and 250MHz without any problems... So why aren't we given that as the defaults?

Power consumption and efficiency. You'd need a much more powerful PSU to run 250 MHz @ .75v.

But according to the BM1382 specs sheet at https://www.bitmaintech.com/files/download/BM1382_Datasheet_v3.0.pdf

You can see the effiency is still decent at 0.75v

And according to Bitmains website of the S4 at https://bitmaintech.com/productDetail.htm?pid=00020140926075515819D846Og240603 it says: "Power Efficiency: 0.69Watt/GH/s"

So 0.75v should still be below their advertise efficiency.

Or am I missing something, and I will be risk damaging my S4 by setting it at the standard 0.75v and 250Mhz frequency?
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2014, 01:21:50 PM

The diagram you have is power at chip level, S4 power is at the wall.

Upping to .75 would burn another 300W with very little additional hash rate - not that the PSU could actually take that.

pikachuy

Activity: 544
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 07:21:07 PM

Upping to .75 would burn another 300W with very little additional hash rate - not that the PSU could actually take that.

I see, putting the efficiency part aside, would anything happen if we up it to 0.75v or would it overload the PSU?
MrGreenHat

Activity: 173
Merit: 104

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 08:35:18 PM

Anyone else having issues with BITMAIN not compensating them for lost mining time due to the fact that their miner was Batch 2 and had the "new PSU's" even though miner arrived D.O.A. just like the people who are being compensated in the batch 1???

It's the exact same issue. A DOA Power Supply arrived with my S4 on Thursday October 16, I couldn't start mining until October 31st. It's downright silly and illogical to discriminate between compensating batch 1 customers with bad PSUs (who ALL are receiving compensation) and someone like me who happened to order the product a few weeks later but had the EXACT SAME PROBLEM. I praised you guys for finally doing right by me as a customer and hooking me up a with a WORKING S4, but here I am just a week later having issues again. This is not a good indication for anyone considering purchasing your products in the future. Your lack of understanding some of the most basic customer service concepts could very well be the end of your business, atleast from me.
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2014, 01:23:02 AM

I see, putting the efficiency part aside, would anything happen if we up it to 0.75v or would it overload the PSU?

PSU would be overloaded.

NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 2494

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 03:45:03 AM

I don't believe you can do a hard enough reboot via SSH that will reawaken X'ed chips. PSU restart it is.

Well, that sucks... How come this software https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=596178.0 can correct the X's for the S1, S2, and S3 from a reboot, but not S4?

If the S1, S2, and S3 are able to correct the X's through SSH, why wouldn't something like that be available for the S4? Unless there's some hidden command we don't know about.
Probably because unlike the earlier models the s4 has programmable Vcore regulators whereas the others uses fixed resistors to set it. Along with OC'ing it have you played with using a higher core voltage? Generally an ASICS voltage needs will track what freq you are running at - lower speed and you can reduce Vcore, higher - raise it. Vcore is set only when power is first turned on and not during any sort of soft(ware) boot. As said previously, a hard boot is killing power and restarting.

Actually just to clarify, there are 3 different PCBs of S4s which have slightly different powering methods. Some have programmable Vcore, some don't. I'm not certain if the 'have to hard hard reset' applies to all three revisions.
different control pcb's in them or different versions of the hashboards?
The control boards should have fixed local regulators on them to create the 5v the Beaglebone needs along with whatever the ASIC interfaces need to be (3.3 & 1.1v?) Those voltages never need to change, when playin, er 'optimizing' just Vcore on the hashboards should be adjusted.

Now as to resets... based on forensics I did on the disastrous 1st version AMT/Bitmine.ch A1 boards Vcore is set only when power is first applied to the hashboard. Each board has its own independent programmable regulator that come alive as soon as the main +12v is applied to the board. Its setting is stored internally to the regulator. Looking at the limited info on the Bitmain design and others rigs out there seems everyone does that part the same way. While the Beagle can modify it on-the-fly so one could test before saving the setting don't know Bitmain is allowing that.

I'm sure the Beaglebone has a reset pin on it, someone just needs to read up on it to tell us where it is on the board... As to if that would also force a reset of the ASICS - no idea.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2014, 10:48:35 PM

different control pcb's in them or different versions of the hashboards?

Hashboards

edgar
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 09, 2014, 02:57:43 AM

despite finally after 6 months being asked for my wallet address a week ago - NO COMPENSATION HAS BEEN FORTHCOMING.

My patience will eventually diminish...

COUGH UP, Bitman!!
MrGreenHat

View Profile
November 09, 2014, 08:38:30 PM

Anyone have any suggestions as to other forums/reddits/blogs/anywhere on the internet where I can post a link to my above post to? I want as many people to read this as possible. BITMAIN have dug themselves into a DEEP, DEEP hole. If they understood consumer-psychology, they would take a look at my account, all of the products I have purchased from them in the past and realize, "Wow, this guy has spent a SHITLOAD of money with our company, shouldn't we just compensate him the same ten days of lost mining time so we can continue to receive his business?" They are effectively preventing me from purchasing more of their products, because at this point I don't trust that they have a competent customer support team that is FAIR, NON-PARTIAL, AND DOESN'T MAKE UP BULLSHIT EXCUSES AS TO WHY A CUSTOMER SHOULD NOT RECEIVE COMPENSATION FOR AN ISSUE THAT EVERYONE ELSE RECEIVED COMPENSATION FOR!!! If you had just given me the compensation I was due, you would have actually made MORE MONEY, because I would have purchased more hardware from you, offsetting the very small amount of compensation that I am asking for. Is this making sense, BITMAIN? Probably not, otherwise we wouldn't be in this ridiculous situation to begin with.
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1630

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2014, 09:31:11 PM

@MrGreenHat: You have valid concerns but that's no reason to post consecutively. Just edit your existing post if you want to add more to it.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2014, 09:32:38 PM

I read all of your post(s) (all 4 of them). Customers aren't typically compensated during warranty repairs by any company. I'm also not sure why you think running round the internet spamming abuse at the company as well as making threats will help change CS's mind?

Tupsu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 09, 2014, 09:44:52 PM

So, basically, I'm just really, really, really, unlucky, is that what you are trying to tell me? My Antminer S4 was the WORST fortune cookie I have ever cracked open! You might as well have printed, "HA HA! You fell for it again, you stupid American! Better luck next time!"

Are you really believed  compensation in BTC ?

Bitmain pays compensation only coupons. Leave it in your mind forever.

Does anyone know of anyone who has received compensation for  lost mining time from BITMAIN ?

There is no need to believe in their written below in red. This is simply not true.

Power supply replacement for the Antminer S4

Dear loyal customers,
Today we have found out that the batch of power supplies shipped out in batch 1 and the first part of batch 2 Antminer S4s contain a critical defect. The customized power supply produced by AplusPower Co. Ltd is suffering from an unacceptably high failure rate and will be replaced with immediate effect.
We take full responsibility for the problems caused and had not anticipated the unique loading conditions of a miner when selecting and testing the suitability of these power supplies. You can read more about the defect in the post below.
We are now taking steps to ensure that customers are impacted as little as possible. The rest of batch 2 S4s will come with the improved power supply as standard.

The following actions are being taken for miners already delivered:
1)  If your PSU has already failed:
•   Submit a RMA request with some pictures and proof [ie with your username in the photo] of your PSU’s failure to info@bitmaintech.com.
•   We will then ship a new PSU out as soon as possible.
•   We will also issue compensation to the value of 10 days of mining profit calculated starting from shipping date
2) If your PSU has not failed and the miner is running normally:
•   We will ship a new PSU to you.
•   Please do not contact support yet, you will receive an email asking to confirm your shipping.

............ Once again, we are sorry.

If you do not believe me, believe their's Spokesperson

I read all of your post(s) (all 4 of them). Customers aren't typically compensated during warranty repairs by any company. I'm also not sure why you think running round the internet spamming abuse at the company as well as making threats will help change CS's mind?

I've bought from them in the last year miners over  80 BTC, and did not get  compensation for Batch2 S4 which was posted on the old power supply.
My miner worked until the arrival of the new PSU, with EVGA SUPERNOVA 1300G2  PSU, and only 1600GH/s.

N.B. Free give away more than 100 S3 coupon
MrGreenHat

View Profile
November 09, 2014, 10:02:56 PM
Last edit: November 09, 2014, 10:22:58 PM by MrGreenHat

Dear loyal customers,
Today we have found out that the batch of power supplies shipped out in batch 1 and the first part of batch 2 Antminer S4s contain a critical defect. The customized power supply produced by AplusPower Co. Ltd is suffering from an unacceptably high failure rate and will be replaced with immediate effect.
We take full responsibility for the problems caused and had not anticipated the unique loading conditions of a miner when selecting and testing the suitability of these power supplies. You can read more about the defect in the post below.
We are now taking steps to ensure that customers are impacted as little as possible. The rest of batch 2 S4s will come with the improved power supply as standard.

•   Submit a RMA request with some pictures and proof [ie with your username in the photo] of your PSU’s failure to info@bitmaintech.com.
•   We will also issue compensation to the value of 10 days of mining profit calculated starting from shipping date
[snip]

OK, so let me make sure I am understanding this correctly. It has been ALMOST a month since you made this post claiming that you would issue compensation to the value of 10 days of mining profit calculated from the shipping date.
I also see that it wasn't JUST Batch one S4s who were affected by DOA PSU's, but also the beginning of batch 2, which would apply to ME! My S4's PSU was DOA just like the ones in Batch one! It doesn't matter if "according to [your] records" you shipped me a "new" PSU, it still was dead on arrival! And I was CERTAINLY an early Batch 2 customer.
Go ahead and compensate me now so I can let everyone know that you guys actually did what you SAID you would do, instead of telling everyone that they would be compensated only to ignore their emails upon inquiry. I'm so fucking sick of waiting on this shit.

So why have I not received compensation for my lost mining time? I want an explanation, not an excuse.

This is pure bullshit, BITMAIN!
@MrGreenHat: You have valid concerns but that's no reason to post consecutively. Just edit your existing post if you want to add more to it.
You're right, I apologize. I guess the adrenaline got to me. I have edited my original post to include all consecutive posts (which have now been deleted).

I didn't say that I was going to spam. How is telling the truth and making sure no one else gets screwed by BITMAIN "spamming"? maybe if you were referring to my several consecutive posts, I might understand, but I realized that did look kind of "spammy" (with the help of ckolivas) so I have taken the action necessary to resolve that. At this point, I KNOW I am not going to receive compensation from BITMAIN. What I am doing is EXPOSING THEM FOR THE LIARS THAT THEY ARE. Look at the post that I quoted at the beginning of this from BITMAIN, mid-October. If that isn't blatant bullshit, I don't know what is.

So, basically, I'm just really, really, really, unlucky, is that what you are trying to tell me? My Antminer S4 was the WORST fortune cookie I have ever cracked open! You might as well have printed, "HA HA! You fell for it again, you stupid American! Better luck next time!"

Are you really believed  compensation in BTC ?

Bitmain pays compensation only coupons. Leave it in your mind forever.

Does anyone know of anyone who has received compensation for  lost mining time from BITMAIN ?

There is no need to believe in their written below in red. This is simply not true.

Dear loyal customers,

2) If your PSU has not failed and the miner is running normally:
•   We will ship a new PSU to you.
•   Please do not contact support yet, you will receive an email asking to confirm your shipping.

............ Once again, we are sorry.

If you do not believe me, believe their's Spokesperson

I've bought from them in the last year miners over  80 BTC, and did not get  compensation for Batch2 S4 which was posted on the old power supply.
My miner worked until the arrival of the new PSU, with EVGA SUPERNOVA 1300G2  PSU, and only 1600GH/s.

N.B. Free give away more than 100 S3 coupon
[This comment is directed at Dogie, not Tupsu]So are you telling me I should just lie over and let them fuck me? And keep my mouth shut while they metaphorically rape me? That's not the kind of person I am. If I'm not going to receive my compensation, I'm atleast going to make sure that BITMAIN doesn't continue to profit from their half-truths and empty promises. Call me a spammer, dogie, if you want, but I call it doing the right thing. In fact, Dogie, I'm not sure why you even found it necessary to reply, as you have proven to be of absolutely no help (other than being the official punching bag for BITMAIN on this forum). Unless you can offer a solution that will HELP my situation, it's probably better off if you use those quick fingers of yours to type up more Amazon.com reviews. If you haven't realized it, yet, you seem to annoy more than assist. I'm not sure what BITMAIN is paying you for, exactly, but they would be better off if they took the funds that they pay you with and compensated their frustrated customers instead. Just a thought.
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2014, 10:34:50 PM

Unless you can offer a solution that will HELP my situation
As I said in the last post, abuse and threats isn't going to get you closer to what you want. There is a minimum level of civility required in order to interact with another person and get a positive outcome. This applies to both online and in person transactions.

Imagine what the chances of a positive outcome would be if you walked into a brick and mortar store and accused the staff of metaphorically raping you and metaphorically fucking you over while being abusive and making threats. Certainly you'd be thrown out or have the cops called.

tldr, please take it down a notch

MrGreenHat

View Profile
November 09, 2014, 10:42:43 PM

Unless you can offer a solution that will HELP my situation
As I said in the last post, abuse and threats isn't going to get you closer to what you want. There is a minimum level of civility required in order to interact with another person and get a positive outcome. This applies to both online and in person transactions.

Imagine what the chances of a positive outcome would be if you walked into a brick and mortar store and accused the staff of metaphorically raping you and metaphorically fucking you over while being abusive and making threats. Certainly you'd be thrown out or have the cops called.

tldr, please take it down a notch
Dogie, I have been civil for almost a month now. A person can only be SO patient. And I have been.

I have also noticed that you have contradicted yourself in this very thread:

In my email, I  apologized for getting so upset
Thats not a problem, won't affect anything.

So, if you don't mind me asking, which is it? If I play nice and don't post anything on these forums that suggest anything negative about BITMAIN, am I going to get better results? Or can I be honest and post the truth on these forums without fear of being discriminated against by CS? Because a few weeks ago you said it wouldn't matter that I got angry, but now you are saying it's not going to help. You seem to have the same issue that Bitmain has,  consistency. No wonder you guys work so well together.

EDIT: I just noticed that you referred to my behavior as "abusive". Tell me, exactly how am I being "abusive"? If anything, I'm being abused by BITMAIN's awful business practices. You seem to be adding flames to the fire. And the only "threats" I made were to disclose the TRUTH about the way that BITMAIN operates. You are acting like I made a post saying that I was going to fly to China and become violent in person. How can you not understand why someone in my situation would be this frustrated? No information that you have supplied since my first post this afternoon has been at all helpful, instead it has just made me (a customer of BITMAIN) look like the bad guy, when its absolutely clear who is in the wrong here, and I would love for ANYONE to explain how that could possibly be me. Is this the way you were instructed by BITMAIN to handle CS issues? Tell the customers that its their fault for getting upset that BITMAIN lied to them? You do far more harm than good, Dogie. Stick to your tutorials and amazon.com reviews, because you are making yourself look foolish.
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2014, 11:03:30 PM
Last edit: November 09, 2014, 11:30:52 PM by dogie

So, if you don't mind me asking, which is it? If I play nice and don't post anything on these forums that suggest anything negative about BITMAIN, am I going to get better results? Or can I be honest and post the truth on these forums without fear of being discriminated against by CS? Because a few weeks ago you said it wouldn't matter that I got angry, but now you are saying it's not going to help.
You can say negative things all you like as long as they are legal, but for the third time - its not going to help you get what you want. I'm not even specifically talking about this situation or Bitmain either. You can't do what you're doing and expect someone to be swayed to your views at the same time - they're mutually exclusive.

I said it was okay last time because you had already apologised and deleted what you were apologising for. At this point you've posted more abuse and threats, are continuing to do the same, are a million miles way from apologising yet still expect the same outcome as last time. That's not going to happen.

dlowings

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 09, 2014, 11:22:23 PM

Just a heads up … I was a batch one customer… I also had a PSU that went defective after a week of run time. Bitmain did everything they said they would… They sent me a replacment PSU for ALL batch 1 units and also sent me 10 day mining compensation for the unit that died … It took a while to get resolved, but in the end, they did everything they said they would . I have 4 S4's and honestly with the latest firmware, I have no complaints . I would have no issue buying another S4 …

I also have 1024 coupons for the S3… if ANYONE wants a free coupon send me your Bitmain ID and I will give you a coupon free of charge . There is no way I will buy 1024 S3's as much as I would like to, I just don't have the funds .

BTC donations welcome:- 1BrersvQubEKt4m2hBXDNvU1B4RiYe6J4i   -   Feel free to visit wiki.chainminer.com for free hardware listings, and mining info. -  IRC on freenode #wiki.chainminer.com
Minnesooooota

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 09, 2014, 11:35:22 PM

PROBLEM with S4 shipped two weeks ago:

Room temp: 60-70 F
Other 3 machines: Working fine
Problem: Runs for 2-3 hours, then the LCD lights up blue but blank. I have tried killing the power and then plugging it back in again, and it runs up to ~250 gH for a few minutes and then back to 0 gH/s. It is all updated. It keeps hashing momentarily at 1.8-1.9 then immediately drops to 0 gH/s.

Possibly bad sensor that thinks it's overheating? I have no idea.

What should I do? Flash firmware? Is this OK to do?
Tupsu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 09, 2014, 11:39:09 PM

...They sent me a replacment PSU for ALL batch 1 units and also sent me 10 day mining compensation for the unit that died … It took a while to get resolved, but in the end, they did everything they said they would . I have 4 S4's and honestly with the latest firmware, I have no complaints . I would have no issue buying another S4 …

How much BTC they are compensated ?
I ask because today I received a notice of SP20 compensation from spondoolies.

...Thank you for your purchase of the SP20 mining machine.

As you know, shipment of the SP20 was delayed beyond our promised October date.
Because we place high value on our customer relationships, we are compensating
customers whose delivery was affected.

We are offering 0.12 BTC per machine for the delay in shipment....

Pages: « 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 ... 162 »
  Print  

Jump to: