Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 10:55:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 [321] 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 ... 373 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Martin Armstrong Discussion  (Read 646777 times)
Gumbi
Copper Member

Activity: 168
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 30, 2019, 05:23:48 PM
Last edit: December 30, 2019, 11:43:34 PM by Gumbi

See armstrongecmscam.blogspot.com for a more compact view of major findings posted in this blog
No I have not read, will read it.  

Yeah don’t read the original source of the material, read the interpretations made by
AnonymousCoder and others in this blog. The self proclaimed expert on Socrates.

AnonymousCoder is clearly biased against Armstrong because he ended up on the wrong side of the gold trade in 2015 and spend a lot of money on the gold report so has an obvious prejudice against him.
He is an absolute fanatic about all this and holds a very extreme viewpoint.  but the reality is the truth lies somewhere in the middle. He feels like he has been cheated and has a deep hatred for Armstrong and that is his motivation for doing all of this. He is not looking at this objectively and in this emotional state he will never look at the other side.

On his propaganda website
Symbol   Reversal   Close   Next Close   P/L%
$DJI   2399720   2332746   2499967   7.2% loss

The 3rd  monthly bearish at  21600 was not elected at the end of December in 2018  but elected 2 others including 23997.2.  The market made an intraday low at the 21700 area in December holding the 3rd monthly bearish which cannot be  argued against… I wonder how many other mistakes there are.. This is a false representation of performance. He is guilty of the very thing he accuses Armstrong of doing. Lol

Regarding the gold play in 2015

The superposition occurred at the end of the year it could not of been included in the report. It was a long term sell signal short term buy signal.  Just because a MINOR quarterly bullish was elected does not necessarily mean the market will immediately go up, because we simultaneously elected a quarterly bearish as well, this play can only be confirmed by electing ONLY the bullish reversals. This is where your argument falls apart.

It is hindsight bias which "refers to the common tendency for people to perceive events that have already occurred as having been more predictable than they actually were before the events took place."

Posted Feb 12, 2016
"Gold has performed in a typical manner. When it closed ABOVE our year-end number of 1044, I stated it was not as weak as it appeared. It then started to elect ONLY the Bullish Reversals, not Bearish."
https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/markets-by-sector/precious-metals/gold/gold-here-we-go-again/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Traxo

Activity: 568
Merit: 703

View Profile
December 30, 2019, 05:31:08 PM

- snip -

I am just saying it seems unauthentic, saying the same phrases. It seems mechanical and like a troll. And I am all for not believing Martin, that is what I want.
So could you do me a favor be a little more organic?  

Just click the links such as https://armstrongecmscam.blogspot.com.  
You'll notice it's actually organized.  
Here is another one:  https://busy.org/@traxo/martin-armstrong-gold-bear

You are the one who appears to be a wanna-be-spoon-fed troll by not bothering to click a single link which was provided, let alone read the content there.  
Appreciate any feedback you might have on the linked materials.
decipher11

Activity: 20
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 31, 2019, 03:25:31 AM

Since MA is trolling this blog to try to bury any information demonstrating that Socrates is a fraud and the product of his megalomania !

This is how reversals are created - far from quantum physic as stated by Martin Armstrong - since just human intelligence can generate them quite easily

Every time the market exceeds the previous tick's high or low, a set of reversals is generated. If that new high or low is not exceeded for the next tick, that reversal stays.

There are 4 prices in a set of reversals.

These are determined from the timings 3, 5, 13, 26. (for stocks he seems to use 4, 8, 16, 23, however for the Dow he seems to be using 3, 5, 13, 26).

So if a new high is made, the low from the previous 3rd tick is a bearish reversal, the low from the previous 5th tick is another bearish reversal, the low from the previous 13th tick is another bearish reversal, and the low from the previous 26th tick is another bearish reversal.

The same is true if a new low is made, in this case the previous nth high is used.
If there is a holiday and the markets were closed, that still counts as a day.

You can generate reversals yourself at all levels of time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MA constantly says that the plebe (useful idiot) doesn't connect the dot as his system does, meaning no market move alone, everything is correlated.

Which is a cleaver observation.

BUT using Socrates you will never find any correlation, all markets are "analyzed" separately from each other .... not dot connection, no correlation

Socrates is everything except Artificial Intelligence !
dibley8899

Activity: 80
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 31, 2019, 07:31:08 AM

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin    thats a tadge hopefull I would say but a nice mark up for the 20$ front coverpic from shutterstock.
SOC1

Activity: 8

View Profile
December 31, 2019, 09:38:15 AM

This is my first post here, I am still trying to make Socrates work after 4 years & thus I am not being negative but these are valid points I wish MA would address

I have attended a number of WEC's since 2015 & am happy to give my impartial view on MA's calls so far:

Gold will go below $1,000 - so far wrong
EURO report delivered during a conference in Germany - so far incorrect
GBP - so far incorrect
Bonds - so far incorrect
HK$ peg to go in 2018 - incorrect
US$ to surge in 2019 - incorrect

DOW best market to buy in 2015 - correct
ECM turning point in 2015.75 was the peak in govt - correct IMO

Other points worth noting:

I notice that his calls tend to move further down the track each WEC
The Socrates training seminar is always looking at trades in hindsight
Nobody I speak to is able to grasp a sold trading protocol based off Socrates - this could be due to the way its taught or simply that it does not work in real time.
I was personally told at the WEC in 2015 that the "daily level CANNOT be used for trading when applying Socrates as it is just noise" - in the 2019 WEC we were told that it works over 80% of the time & the $ hit rate is much higher.
IMO most of the blogs are written by MA - the spelling is always poor & it is highly unlikely that the majority of attendees cannot spell. 
Most of the questions on the blog start by saying how brilliant MA is for calling a low/high in a given market - the truth however is that he has not called any market low or high in real time
If Socrates is so perfect, why aren't we seeing hedge funds offer managed accounts to people?

I sum up by saying that Socrates is excellent at looking at data in hindsight & cycles of political change may be looked upon giving the reader further insight into the phenomena of the rise & fall of nations but that is it IMHO.

AnonymousCoder

Activity: 580
Merit: 17

View Profile
December 31, 2019, 10:17:46 AM
Last edit: July 20, 2021, 06:06:52 PM by AnonymousCoder

This is my first post here, I am still trying to make Socrates work after 4 years & thus I am not being negative but these are valid points I wish MA would address

I have attended a number of WEC's since 2015 & am happy to give my impartial view on MA's calls so far:

Gold will go below $1,000 - so far wrong
EURO report delivered during a conference in Germany - so far incorrect
GBP - so far incorrect
Bonds - so far incorrect
HK$ peg to go in 2018 - incorrect
US$ to surge in 2019 - incorrect

ECM turning point in 2015.75 was the peak in govt - correct IMO

Other points worth noting:

I notice that his calls tend to move further down the track each WEC
The Socrates training seminar is always looking at trades in hindsight
Nobody I speak to is able to grasp a sold trading protocol based off Socrates - this could be due to the way its taught or simply that it does not work in real time.
I was personally told at the WEC in 2015 that the "daily level CANNOT be used for trading when applying Socrates as it is just noise" - in the 2019 WEC we were told that it works over 80% of the time & the $ hit rate is much higher.
IMO most of the blogs are written by MA - the spelling is always poor & it is highly unlikely that the majority of attendees cannot spell.
Most of the questions on the blog start by saying how brilliant MA is for calling a low/high in a given market - the truth however is that he has not called any market low or high in real time
If Socrates is so perfect, why aren't we seeing hedge funds offer managed accounts to people?

I sum up by saying that Socrates is excellent at looking at data in hindsight & cycles of political change may be looked upon giving the reader further insight into the phenomena of the rise & fall of nations but that is it IMHO.

Thanks for posting. We really appreciate it.

Looks like the only questions you have are about Socrates, so I will try to address them.

Socrates is definitely only a hindsight system and cannot be used to generate profits consistently. Our experience is consistent with yours. Unfortunately it will never work so you have been waiting in vain. I would suggest you cancel your subscription unless you see value in viewing the markets in hindsight.

If the market moves in a straight line then Reversals will be elected with profit until no more Reversals are available. This is the only situation where Socrates works. But for this situation one does not need a trading system, not even a stop loss order. In other words Socrates cannot predict market turns such as the bounce after the 2015 Gold low, see Quarterly Superposition Event in Gold 2015.

... in the 2019 WEC we were told that it works over 80% of the time & the $ hit rate is much higher. ...
This is a lie. They must know that it does not perform at this success rate. It is at 50% if not worse. If it was better then they would not sell the service, rather keep it for themselves. Fraudulently misrepresenting the performance of this system is a crime. What they say is also in conflict with the disclaimer that they print on the Socrates web site. On the site they are basically saying it is not supposed to be used for trading.

Most Armstrong products / services are pitched to be based on the predictive power of Socrates or his models. If the underlying claims about model accuracy are fraudulent then such sales are fraudulent as well whether it is a report, a seminar or Socrates, it does not matter.

Why are hedge funds not using Socrates? For the same reason. Any trading system that works would definitely not be shared and sold as a service such as Socrates. It simply does not make sense to share such a system.

The Martin Armstrong team is a bunch of sarcastic people who do not even hide the fact any more that they are looking for victims with their scam:

Quote from: Gumbi on December 29, 2019, 09:02:17 PM
There is no such thing as bad publicity. The irony is I found out about Armstrong from people like you.

HAHA my first victim Kiss

Martin Armstrong's self-congratulating "QUESTION" emails are written by himself as you have observed. They are getting so grotesque recently that one can sense that he is not respectful of his viewers / clients, rather he sees them as victims to exploit. See The Fan Email Confidence Trick. At this level, and confirmed by the overwhelming feedback that we are getting about these questions, we can say that it is beyond doubt that these questions are fake.

Look, just two messages ago decipher11, a WEC attendee, pointed out how primitive the reversal system is from his perspective. Again, this is not an isolated experience. The whole Martin Armstrong affair is a total disaster, very sad.

I would suggest that you visit the links below and study all material presented there. It has cost us a fair amount of energy to build armstrongecmscam.blogspot.com. The information is biased, but accurate, based on facts, no opinion. If you have any comments, please post them here.

Martin Armstrong is a charlatan, and he spent 11 years in jail for that reason but he has not changed.

Read this blog starting here to find out more about computerized fraud.

See armstrongecmscam.blogspot.com for a more compact view of major findings posted in this blog

Traxo

View Profile
December 31, 2019, 10:48:11 AM
Last edit: December 31, 2019, 11:14:39 AM by Traxo

so far incorrect

One of his tricks is to not provide a deadline when price should hit his target (for example as you mention with regards to gold).  
Thus when he says "gold below $1,000" he can actually NEVER BE INCORRECT, because the whole thesis is that it's going to happen "eventually".  
In the meantime (while for example gold is above $1,000) he will feed you with "Sorry, it's just not TIME yet" and similar bullshit (implying that he knows when it will happen, but in fact he has no clue), and when (if) it happens, then he will say "it was just TIME" (again, implying that he knew exact day in advance), but never actually called (gave readers info about) exact date.  

In other words, if it does not happen - he is not incorrect, but if it happens - he is correct.

Take the detailed gold example:  
https://busy.org/@traxo/martin-armstrong-gold-bear

Readers were deliberately deceived for years, for whatever reason.  
Now someone might come out and say:  
  - Oh well it's not Armstrongs's fault they opened trades when Martin never advised them to
  - Oh but he has a disclaimer so it's never actually trade advice
  - Oh but you are supposed to trade only Socrates X or Y, not his public writings because those are his "opinion"

However, the problem with all that is Martin never actually flat out say when to buy or sell in the first place, and mostly he doesn't even tell you what his opinion is vs what his "computer" projects.  
You can only try to conclude it yourself from his writings, or his other data.

So in the end it's always up to you when to trade what, but note you can't actually trade anything:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1082909.msg53208223#msg53208223 thus his projections are completely worthless for trading, but really useful if they give you dopamine once you read about them in hindsight and then go and praise Socrates.

He is fully aware that his listeners/readers trade and lose money based on what he says because they are blinded. IMO there is no excuse for deliberately deceiving your crowd.

Traxo

View Profile
December 31, 2019, 11:33:45 AM
Last edit: January 03, 2020, 02:43:27 PM by Traxo

Martin will also try to convince you that he "clearly" predicted Trump 2016 victory:  

Posted Mar 21, 2019 by Martin Armstrong

Our model CLEARLY forecast Trump would win and it targeted the 2016 election.

However, if you read the following

Posted Aug 3, 2016 by Martin Armstrong

Our model is not unanimous for Trump. There is technically a 25% chance that Hillary could win, which one of our four models projects a Democratic victory.

You can notice he didn't really predict it.  It just happens that he placed his odds on Trump, but so had millions of other people.  
He also had a way out for every situation, he covered election rigging,

Posted Aug 24, 2016 by Martin Armstrong
Looking at the Electoral College, yes it appears to be a close race again. The population voting models only give Hillary a 25% chance of winning. But the press is in all out war against Trump and the American people creating propaganda like we have never seen in American history.  
Once again, I will say this. UNLESS there is a huge turnout, they will UNDOUBTEDLY rig the game for Hillary. You have the Republican Elite who behind the curtain are pushing for Hillary. So I would also have to assume they will rig the election every which way possible. There is far too much at stake to allow an OUTSIDER to go to Washington. They stole state from Bernie to make sure Hillary won. Without that, Bernie would have been the candidate.

So I believe they will rig the game. The cannot afford a Trump victory. IF THERE IS A HUGE popular turnout that puts Trump in that 60% category, I believe they will assassinate him. He would tear the bankers apart and has already stated he will end nation-building, which is the life-blood of neoconservative. Maybe I am wrong and Trump will win. That remains to be seen for my opinion is not worth much – it’s just opinion.

And also assasination:  

Posted Mar 28, 2016 by Martin Armstrong

Whenever the establishment is seriously threatened, they respond with assassination.  
Donald Trump is flying in the face of people so corrupt that they would not hesitate to have him assassinated somehow, be it a plane or car crash or under the pretense of some minority who gets amazing access. This is standard operating procedure and it is dominant throughout history from ancient times to the present.

If Trump was not elected, and outcome was something else, Armstrong would technically not be wrong, but instead he would refer to these posts instead.  

In other words - nothing he "predicts" is "clear" as he says, but instead he tells you it's "clear" only when he wins his bets.

EDIT:  

https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/international-news/north_america/2016-u-s-presidential-election/the-computer-projects-have-no-human-bias-or-input/

Three of our models project a strong Republican victory, but one favors the Democrats in a dead heat. This is a percent of the popular vote.

Armstrong's model (or rather 4 models? whatever) projected that Trump would win popular vote.  
Specifically, 3 out of 4 models projected that Trump would win popular vote in 2016 elections, thus Martin gave Trump 75% of winning (I mentioned it and quoted in my post).  

However, Trump ACTUALLY LOST POPULAR VOTE. Thus his models were flat out incorrect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_United_States_presidential_election  
> Trump is the fifth person in U.S. history to become president while losing the nationwide popular vote.

EDIT 2:

Posted Jan 26, 2013 by Martin Armstrong

Our model shows we will get a spike rise in third party activity for 2016.

Panic of 1878 and again with the Panic of 1929 unfolding into the Great Depression.

We are facing such a spike in third party activity coming in 2016 and we have been forecasting that date since 1995.

There was no such spike whatsoever, no matter how much you rotate his fancy 3d chart:  

The national total for third party candidates and write-ins was well over 5%.

> Third-party candidates haven't won many votes lately

With the potential split in the Republican Party, we should see a rise in Third Party activity within the House of Representatives.

The sharp rise in third party activity suggests we are heading for a split in the Republican Party. This previously took place when Abraham Lincoln became the first Republican president, and then Teddy Roosevelt split and formed the Progress Party in 1912. The spike you see there in 1855 was due to the fact that Republican Party split into a third party.
SOC1

View Profile
December 31, 2019, 05:32:19 PM

Thank you AnonymousCoder & Traxo for your timely replies.

If Armstrong could at least be prepared to discuss his previous calls during the WEC's I wouldn't mind so much because knowing where you went wrong in a trade is just as important as knowing why you were right!  Secondly, humility is a very important asset when dealing with a large group of people who are eager to learn & by not being accountable for his calls, he makes the same mistake as the politicians to which he blames in all of his writings. 

Each WEC should at least start off from the previous WEC to show continuity & to address those areas which had either proven to be correct or incorrect.  At least then the audience would be given a fair & open assessment of what to expect for their $2,500. 

It should also be noted that Mr Armstrong did not graduate in Economics from University & thus is not technically an Economist so surely the team at AE would be even more keen to prove their abilities at predicting the future by going over the number of correct/incorrect calls from the previous WEC?

This is my sticking point with Armstrong & the answer is clearly one of two things:  a) They have the worst PR department in the history of any business or b)  He is a indeed a fake.....

I take no pleasure in writing this last statement & of course I am open to criticism but I have also taught higher degree level learning at University & I am well aware of what it takes to deliver material to eager students & be able to discuss events after the fact. 

AnonymousCoder

View Profile
December 31, 2019, 06:33:57 PM
Last edit: July 20, 2021, 06:06:44 PM by AnonymousCoder

... It should also be noted that Mr Armstrong did not graduate in Economics from University & thus is not technically an Economist so surely the team at AE would be even more keen to prove their abilities at predicting the future by going over the number of correct/incorrect calls from the previous WEC?

This is my sticking point with Armstrong & the answer is clearly one of two things: a) They have the worst PR department in the history of any business or b) He is a indeed a fake.....

If this is taken as a Binary question then the answer must be b). Here is the proof:

Martin Armstrong has not perfected the ability to improve the quality of his products and services.

He has perfected his processes of fraudulently misrepresenting the quality and performance of his products and services in hindsight by manufacturing fake user feedback, and by altering the results of an ambiguous system in hindsight up to the point where they change its rules.

This can be be seen in action in this piece of incontrovertible evidence where a clear failure becomes a success.

Martin Armstrong is a charlatan, and he spent 11 years in jail for that reason but he has not changed.

trulycoined

Activity: 85
Merit: 8

View Profile
December 31, 2019, 07:12:41 PM
Last edit: December 31, 2019, 07:30:04 PM by trulycoined

Thank you AnonymousCoder & Traxo for your timely replies.

If Armstrong could at least be prepared to discuss his previous calls during the WEC's I wouldn't mind so much because knowing where you went wrong in a trade is just as important as knowing why you were right!  Secondly, humility is a very important asset when dealing with a large group of people who are eager to learn & by not being accountable for his calls, he makes the same mistake as the politicians to which he blames in all of his writings.  

Each WEC should at least start off from the previous WEC to show continuity & to address those areas which had either proven to be correct or incorrect.  At least then the audience would be given a fair & open assessment of what to expect for their $2,500.  

It should also be noted that Mr Armstrong did not graduate in Economics from University & thus is not technically an Economist so surely the team at AE would be even more keen to prove their abilities at predicting the future by going over the number of correct/incorrect calls from the previous WEC?

This is my sticking point with Armstrong & the answer is clearly one of two things:  a) They have the worst PR department in the history of any business or b)  He is a indeed a fake.....

I take no pleasure in writing this last statement & of course I am open to criticism but I have also taught higher degree level learning at University & I am well aware of what it takes to deliver material to eager students & be able to discuss events after the fact.    

(Long post warning. This will be my last post of 2019 on these boards, and it has been very interesting sharing comments about MA over the past 6 months or so.)

I attended the 2018 WEC, but with a strange intention: I wanted to find out if MA was indeed a fraud, where I had been following his blog for a good few years. Through most of that time, I genuinely thought he was onto something very interesting with his ECM, though never traded on it. I had also heard before of pi constantly appearing in nature, and in ancient history (Great Pyramids), so the concept didn't seem too far fetched.

However, I question everything and am not one that likes being played a fool, so began to think, as much as I enjoyed his blog content, is this just a very clever hoax? I even thought it could be brilliant Russian dezinformatsiya, something I had read a book about through the same period I had stumbled across MA. That was also something I noticed: he hardly ever mentioned, nor is he ever negative, about Russia. He also had some kind of dealings with Russia because of the Sacra connection. He is very anti-West, and while I am no fan of any Western government, neither am I fan of Russia, or any other foreign government either. That too made me wonder whether he might have a pro-Russia agenda.

I can't evidence any connection here, but it added to my BS-o-meter and made me want to research some contrarian opinions from other people.

Why then did I decide to spend thousands of dollars travelling to, and attending the WEC?

This is going to sound odd, but I attended to prove to myself that this was all BS. It would also give me an opportunity to meet the man himself, and ask a burning question that might also help me make up my mind about MA. I'll elaborate on that below. Finally, it was then around the time of him promoting his "last ever" European WEC in Rome 2019, that I found this Bitcoin Forum on MA, which seemed to be the only place with a very active discussion about MA's legitimacy. At the time, I was trying to find more "dirt" on MA, as I thought surely he cannot be correct 100% of the time (or his alleged machine, which are still susceptible to errors, malfunctions, etc)?

Turns out he was wrong. Often. And this forum was - and remains - brilliant for in-depth analysis and personal tales of trades gone wrong on the back of ECM predictions or MA opinions - both of which are almost impossible to decipher based on the ambiguity of his writings, from blog posts to his eye-wateringly priced reports. There is a reason MA has no comment sections on his site: he can then fully control the narrative and the mystique around his "legend".

In terms of the WEC, I was very surprised when sat next to family of Canadians. One of this group told me they had attended "multiple" WECs, which I found surprising as we are talking about just one family who had dropped tens of thousands of dollars, not including travel and accommodation costs. Yet they also explained they did not understand reversals nor had access to the arrays, which resemble something from an Atari in any case. I still wonder to this day why they felt the need to attend so many, where that money could have been placed on a DOW JONES tracker and they would have been sat on a very healthy return, without needing MA's input (if there even was any).

Others I spoke to also explained they didn't know how to trade off Socrates. I also spoke to a professional fund manager from Cincinnati, if memory serves me right. He explained he appeared regularly on finance sections of the local TV stations. He also told me he didn't rely on MA for trading, but found some of his content interesting. There was also a very young kid from Canada, who told me he was a full time trader, working from home, and found MA's calls brilliant and the cornerstone of his success. A plant maybe?

The average demographic was older white males, nearing retirement age or retired. Wealthy, with money to invest or "save" from the impending financial Armageddon MA had prophesied.

And that is where, being as objective as possible, MA is essentially leading a cult. Like all cults, the Day of Armageddon (2015.75) came to pass, and nothing happened. Countless other doomsday calls, like the "financial, economic and banking chaos" that he wrote about early 2019, that was supposed to happen around the time of the EU elections - also passed with nothing of note happening.

Read Robert Cialdini's book Influence, which has an entire chapter on cults. It explains typical and predictable human behaviour. With cults, if the day of Armageddon passes with barely a strong gust of wind, rather than disband, the followers become even more fervent in their beliefs, trying to convince others that their new-found belief system really does have meaning, and something terrible IS going to happen, so REPENT and also follow MA before it's too late!

This likely is a typical outcome, where to that Canadian family I met - someone must have been waxing lyrical about MA, and more cultists then join.

At the 2018 WEC, while the macroeconomic stuff was interesting, it is nothing a few good books on the subject and contrarian economists would also cover. MA touched lightly on Socrates, explaining the IF THEN ELSE code, which I thought - not being a coder - sounded very basic for something that was supposed to be so advanced, MA is being hounded by the CIA for his code. He also stood on stage without much conviction as he was talking about this, but that's ok.

Remember the typical demographic?

Most of them are technical Luddites because of their age, so are none the wiser.

I also managed to speak to MA very briefly at his "legendary" hors d'oeuvres. I asked him a simple question:

How can Socrates possibly be accurate where accuracy of any model is only as good as the data it is given? That data is limitless, meaning Socrates cannot possibly be correct all of the time.

MA seemed taken aback and defensive I would dare ask such a question, and bluntly explained the ECM has "never been wrong" going back to the 1987 stock market crash. It was at that moment, I thought... BS. I work in the communications industry in a role that uses lots of data and ML. Even SIMPLE predictions are often wrong because the data quality or volume is never good/large enough.

And MA is explaining he effectively has access to limitless data, meaning his machine's predictions are correct 100% of the time? It is actually absurd when you think about it and the science is as bad as the climate scientists he loves to criticise (though I do share the same sentiments). Interestingly, MA has also explained on his blog that he uses an IBM supercomputer that we have also found to be a bogus claim. That supercomputer uses significant amounts of energy.

Thus, if MA is telling the truth, his machine would have to consume if not enormous amounts of energy - LIMITLESS amounts of energy - where the only way it could predict things to 100% accurac is with limitless data.

Otherwise, his model uses sampled data, which is useful to a point. But it will always be off by +/- percentage and is there as a predictable model, not a definitive guide. And yet MA explains his ECM is a definitive guide.

It is BS. As brilliantly explained in some comments over the past one or two pages, the supercomputer and the government wanting his code are all a smokescreen, to confuse and cover up his real game, which is to create as much mystique around his being as possible. That is what gets him a loyal following. It sells WEC tickets, expensive reports (which are 99% ramblings about history, 1% ambiguous opinions on the future), and Socrates subs.

And that affords him a very nice retirement, plus some very nice "friends".

Speaking of which, at the hors d'oeuvres evening of the 2018 WEC, MA - who was surrounded by fawning WEC attendees like some Jesus figure - eventually sauntered off with a young and attractive Indian (Asia, not America) woman. It made me wonder what those WEC tickets had paid for, and just how much that lady was with MA because of his youthful appearance, boyish good looks, extreme wit and muscular physique... Unless it was an employee, though she did not appear until the very end of the night. If you have the money...

p.s. of MAs calls where I have come good. I bet with a friend on the index of European banking shares. Over a 1 year period, if the index was 10% higher, my friend won. 10% lower, I won. That bet was placed based on MAs call AND knowing there were major problems with the EU banking system. I won the bet. Did MA help here? Maybe, but then it was tantamount to predicting the favourite horse is going to win the race, so hardly groundbreaking, and I already held strong opinions on the direction of EU banks. There had been countless bankruptcies as one thing.

The other was the rise of the USD vs GBP. However, that too was easy to predict where anything concerning Brexit being cancelled saw sterling rise, and if Brexit seemed more likely, it would tank. That cycle kept occurring multiple times a year from June 2016. It was one of the most sure bets on FX you could place. I, and not MA, called the bottom of the GBP/USD slide in August 2019, and one of the last highs of that year in March 2019. MA confirmed the trend, but like the above, no better than any other analyst. Plus, GBP/USD all through the 3+ years of Brexit became very easy to predict. Oh, and it has bounced back and is likely to continue rising through at least H1 2020. Why didn't Socrates predict that?

And that too takes a lot of the gloss off MA's mystique. He seems to know a lot about macroeconomics. But his predictions are no better than anyone else; Socrates quite likely doesn't exist and if it does, it is bogus; and you cannot trade on Socrates/the reversals either. The ECM is interesting, but also impossible to trade off, unless your investment style is buying large tracker funds or long term bets on currency. For that, you also do not need MA. You can buy a few good books on trading and it covers sensible trades for long term growth, most of which are based around trackers/funds.

Caveat emptor.
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
December 31, 2019, 08:18:59 PM

Well, no.

The best market to buy in 2015 was Bitcoin. Far and away.

So, incorrect.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
jkpj22

Activity: 10

View Profile
January 01, 2020, 10:17:23 AM

Hello everyone and thank you for this discussion. I was about to pay for Socrates and then I found this website  Undecided

I am more concerned about Armstrong's long term predictions, let's go over them:

-Euro is gonna collapse, European Union will fall
-Dollar is gonna go up a lot
-Dow Jones will keep going up to 35000 points, because with negative interest rates in Europe that's where the money will go
-Despite the strong dollar, Gold will go up significantly because of people won't trust the governments anymore.
-Copper will go up because of electric vehicles and demand in China.
-Emerging markets are gonna pop up because of strong dollar, they won't be able to pay the debt denominated in dollars.
-Thanks to colding, commodities like corn will go up because of bad harvest (it already happened in 2019)

How do you feel about these claims?
Traxo

View Profile
January 01, 2020, 02:22:48 PM

I am more concerned about Armstrong's long term predictions, let's go over them:

-Dow Jones will keep going up to 35000 points, because with negative interest rates in Europe that's where the money will go
-Despite the strong dollar, Gold will go up significantly because of people won't trust the governments anymore.
-Emerging markets are gonna pop up because of strong dollar, they won't be able to pay the debt denominated in dollars.
-Thanks to colding, commodities like corn will go up because of bad harvest (it already happened in 2019)

No deadlines in what you just listed, thus:  

if it does not happen - he is not incorrect, but if it happens - he is correct.

Please people, provide some sources for his predictions if possible so we can see if he had some target dates, and if he really predicted what you listed in the first place.
AnonymousCoder

View Profile
January 01, 2020, 06:11:13 PM
Last edit: July 20, 2021, 06:06:35 PM by AnonymousCoder

Hello everyone and thank you for this discussion. I was about to pay for Socrates and then I found this website Undecided

In any case, before you are taking the leap of faith to buy a Socrates subscription based on the success of some prediction like corn going up because of global cooling which has not been predicted by his models but someone else's model, I would suggest you judge Socrates on its own merits, such as track records like Monthly Reversal Failures December 2018 and Quarterly Superposition Event in Gold 2015.

Regarding the claims you are listing, let me address one as an example:

The emerging markets meltdown prediction.

Before I start, it is useful to know the fact that Martin Armstrong rarely predicts anything in a verifiable way.

He often systematically creates conditions around his statements that render them worthless. See

A Self-fulfilling Financial Forecast

However, in case of the emerging markets, he predicted a meltdown as early as 2016 with a target date of 2018. Obviously it did not happen. No emerging markets meltdown.

Here are excerpts from some of his publications:

Private blog
Gold and the March High
By: Marty Armstrong
Tuesday, April 12, 2016
The concerns are pensions and Europe not to mention emerging markets where the example of Brazil as such a success story is turning into a nightmare that may result in the impeachment of its head of state. The collapse in emerging markets will significantly hurt pensions who bought dollar denominated debt to get some return when domestic rates when to effectively zero.

Video 2016-06-12
December Gold Update
https://vimeo.com/194098838
I have been saying constantly here, is that the only way that's going to happen is for an extremely strong Dollar. It's the higher Dollar that will cause the default in the emerging markets, it's the higher Dollar that will cause basically Europe to start to really disintegrate because all capital will be attracted here. The Federal Reserve will most likely raise interest rates trying to stop the stock market from rising to be criticized for this and the press is always on top of Donald Trump constantly. So we probably call this, oh, he is making a rally to make himself rich and all his buddies. It has nothing to do with that, this is a global world capital flow situation, and we are looking at effectively the drop of the world monetary system which can come into play as early as 2018, we may end up with the Dollar not being the reserve currency by 2020.

Fractal Nature of Trading
Posted Nov 25, 2016 by Martin Armstrong
I have been warning that we face a major dollar rally. Only such a rally will break the back of the world economy. A lower dollar will bailout the Emerging Markets where a high dollar will create sovereign defaults around the globe.

Private Blog

Gold in the Aftermath of French Election
Tuesday, May 9, 2017
Keep in mind that we still face the potential of a major dollar rally and can blow the doors off of emerging market debt.

Private Blog

Canadian Dollar Update
Wednesday, July 12, 2017

The Monetary Crisis appears to start in 2018 and we will need to wait for the German elections in September before this Year From Political Hell concludes. Only then will we see the surge into the greenback and that will set the stage for extreme economic pressure upon everyone, including Trump. A strong dollar will defeat Trump's idea of creating jobs. It will also push emerging markets over the edge.

Private Blog

The Markets for the Week of 10/15/2018
Monday, October 15, 2018
The other economic areas, especially emerging markets, are coming under pressure and remain hopeless insofar as reversing the future. They took advantage of low interest rates to sell debt to particularly pensions and they denominated that debt in dollars to make the sales. So as the interest rates rise and the dollar, Emerging Markets are simply tottering on the edge of a cliff with no hope of avoiding the fall.

Market Talk- October 22, 2018
The rush for US funding at year end is likely to be extreme. Emerging markets are in meltdown yet no-one wants to admit it.

If you had shorted emerging markets at this point according to the above definite statement, this would have been a disaster trade.

luckyplate

Activity: 65

View Profile
January 02, 2020, 04:46:10 AM

Any one can help to post Martin Armstrong private blog on 1 Jan 2020 .the gold close for 2019 .I suppose this will be important signal for gold price target in 2020 .thks .
.pls discussed future blog as Martin had improve his signal over the years .
AnonymousCoder

View Profile
January 02, 2020, 04:58:14 AM
Last edit: July 20, 2021, 06:06:26 PM by AnonymousCoder

Any one can help to post Martin Armstrong private blog on 1 Jan 2020 .the gold close for 2019 .I suppose this will be important signal for gold price target in 2020 .thks .
.pls discussed future blog as Martin had improve his signal over the years .

What a joke.

How can you tell that he has improved his gold forecasting if you don't have access to his signals?

If you REALLY believe in this as you say, then why do you not buy the subscription? You get the blog info for $15 a month. Your post is completely brain dead, complete nonsense.

Nevertheless, it is VERY important to archive his private blog posts. I don't know why people are not doing it. When I was a member, I saved every single private blog entry to my hard drive and I can search them for words. Why still do it? To show that the forecasts are wrong and post the proof here. This really helps people make the right decision. Which is to not be exploited any more by Martin Armstrong.

Socrates can only forecast if the price goes up or down in a straight line indefinitely. One reversal elected after the other. Any market turns, good luck to everyone. Like here when the market turned: Monthly Reversal Failures December 2018 and Quarterly Superposition Event in Gold 2015.

Why are people who have read this blog for some time still looking for answers here? 90% of people who have posted here know one thing: Waste of time. Socrates and other Armstrong services = total bullshit, scam.

As footlong24seven put it:

...Socrates is the Theranos of financial AI....

SOC1

View Profile
January 02, 2020, 08:08:53 AM

I notice year end that Armstrong is now saying that Gold should no longer collapse & that it is most likely to retest support at the 1400 level.

So having been a bear on Gold since 2015 in every WEC & slating all the Goldbugs I guess this is his way of saying....whoops, got that one wrong!
jkpj22

Activity: 10

View Profile
January 02, 2020, 08:09:49 AM

Thank you for quick replies to my first post here, it's great you guys are so quick! Btw happy new year to you all!  Wink

I made myself not clear. My bad, sorry folks.

I just wanna know, what is your opinion on these claims:

-Emerging markets are gonna pop up because of strong dollar, they won't be able to pay the debt denominat

So in other words, I don't care when this shit is gonna happen according to Armstrong,
I feel like some of these claims will happen because of the nature of the things in the markets and I wanna know how you guys feel about this.

Can you tell me which of these claims make sense to you?
AnonymousCoder

View Profile
January 02, 2020, 08:34:03 AM
Last edit: July 20, 2021, 06:06:18 PM by AnonymousCoder

Thank you for quick replies to my first post here, it's great you guys are so quick! Btw happy new year to you all! Wink

I made myself not clear. My bad, sorry folks.

I just wanna know, what is your opinion on these claims:

-Emerging markets are gonna pop up because of strong dollar, they won't be able to pay the debt denominat

So in other words, I don't care when this shit is gonna happen according to Armstrong,
I feel like some of these claims will happen because of the nature of the things in the markets and I wanna know how you guys feel about this.

Can you tell me which of these claims make sense to you?

I perfectly understand now. Funny how this misunderstanding has prompted me to make new cases that Armstrong predictions were not predictions after all.

Honestly, your question is not the right question for this forum. Nevertheless, even if I wanted to, I could not answer because I think it is almost impossible to predict the future in the areas you are asking. Take for example copper. The price of copper depends not only on supply vs demand, but also on inflation / USD currency, two additional values already. Much bigger factors than electric vehicles and China. Then there is a development to use aluminium as a replacement conductor in vehicles. How on earth can we predict this stuff? Then suddenly China perhaps starts hoarding copper as it did before. Not even the best analysts can predict the future. Have seen too many predictions go wrong. No way I would want to get into the Charlatan business Wink

Pages: « 1 ... 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 [321] 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 ... 373 »
  Print  

Jump to: