Bitcoin Forum
October 22, 2019, 03:10:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 0.18.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 [308] 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Martin Armstrong Discussion  (Read 615886 times)
Alex-11

Activity: 98
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2019, 07:32:47 PM
Last edit: July 31, 2019, 09:31:40 PM by Alex-11

- What are the signals exactly?   Are they  based on the reversals he publishes on Socrates now ? Since I remeber MA saying the signals are only available to corporate clients.
Those are reversals (major, I'd say). You can use major reversals only or minor and major reversals for more frequent trading. There are even 2 more reversal levels. Those can all be included or left out and just focus on majors only
https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/products_services/socrates/reversals-are-scalable/

- Assuming the "system" is long:  When is the  long position closed and a short position entered?  At the first reversal, or second, or third or forth?
the first

- At what price is the new position entered?  Since the  market must close the month  below the monthly reversal (in case of a potential new bear market) is the trade executed at the close of the month (in the last hour or so)   or on the opening prices of the new month.  Makes sometimes a big difference.
It's the closing price. Only when it is really close to the reversal, one would probably wait until the next business day but that is not considered in this calculation because I don't know the exact reversals.

Also I would not call adding to a position (leveraging).  I would call it pyramiding.
correct, but you can still leverage the pyramid.

Also why does the run end 2016 at Dow 17000.  It would be interesting to see the results of the move to 27'000 (easy) then down to 24'000 then up to 27'000 ten down to 22'000 then up again to 27'000 now    (all not so easy !).
The chart was posted in Feb. 2016, but in general , consolidation periods are not a strength of the reversals when using them as buy/sell signals without arrays.

Please read on page 305/306 about the nonsense that is spread about Armstrong

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MA_talk

Activity: 189
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 30, 2019, 08:21:39 PM

- What are the signals exactly?   Are they  based on the reversals he publishes on Socrates now ? Since I remeber MA saying the signals are only available to corporate clients.
Those are reversals (major, I'd say). You can use major reversals only or minor and major reversals for more frequent trading. There are even 2 more reversal levels. Those can all be included or left out and just focus on majors only
https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/products_services/socrates/reversals-are-scalable/

- Assuming the "system" is long:  When is the  long position closed and a short position entered?  At the first reversal, or second, or third or forth?
the first

- At what price is the new position entered?  Since the  market must close the month  below the monthly reversal (in case of a potential new bear market) is the trade executed at the close of the month (in the last hour or so)   or on the opening prices of the new month.  Makes sometimes a big difference.
at the opening of the first business day the of the month

Also I would not call adding to a position (leveraging).  I would call it pyramiding.

Also why does the run end 2016 at Dow 17000.  It would be interesting to see the results of the move to 27'000 (easy) then down to 24'000 then up to 27'000 ten down to 22'000 then up again to 27'000 now    (all not so easy !).
The chart was posted in Feb. 2016, but in general , consolidation periods are not a strength of the reversals when using them as buy/sell signals without arrays.

@Alex-11, @Gumbi, Just post your trades in real time.  Any HINDSIGHT historical data/phantom trades are NOT useful.  They are easily tempered and cannot be verified.

If Socrates is that great, it will be extremely EASY for you to post a winning trade.  EXTREMELY EASY.

The July PANIC month is a JOKE AGAIN (like the February Panic Month)!  How many times do I need to say that?  Armstrong's Arrays do NOT work at ALL.

Also, regarding to a comment that Armstrong's system may work well for a trending market, but doesn't work well for a side-way market, here is my opinion on that.

Whatever trading system, it MUST work on ALL kinds of markets.  At such time when people realize that the market is TRENDING, that is already HINDSIGHT from the technical analysis.  Whether it's trending in months or in years, by the time you realize that it is TRENDING, it is kind of LATE, and not much profits left to be made.

You cannot apply the trading system, and just hope that you're applying it in the correct environment.  If I know whether the market will be going sideway, or trending down, or trending up, for the NEXT 6 months, I can ALREADY use that information for successful trades, withOUT using ANY trading system, whether it's from Armstrong or not.

So again, I want to repeat, ONLY live trades qualify to prove any trading systems (including Armstrong).  Nothing else with some hindsight knowledge sneaked in here or there through backdoor is just trying to fake the result.

If you guys want to keep your "knowledge" that "Socrates works great" to yourself without showing it, that is FINE, and you should NOT participate in this forum.  We are all here waiting to SEE how Socrates can work successfully.  You don't want to show it, that is FINE.  Just stay AWAY.  Otherwise, anything else that quotes "historical trades" with hindsight is just propaganda.

Just to repeat again:
The July PANIC month is a JOKE AGAIN (like the February Panic Month)!  How many times do I need to say that?  Armstrong's Arrays do NOT work at ALL.

AnonymousCoder

Activity: 140
Merit: 2

View Profile
July 30, 2019, 08:29:48 PM

the first

at the opening of the first business day the of the month

@Alex-11, @Gumbi, Just post your trades in real time.  Any HINDSIGHT historical data/phantom trades are NOT useful.  They are easily tempered and cannot be verified.

If Socrates is that great, it will be extremely EASY for you to post a winning trade.  EXTREMELY EASY.

Also, regarding to a comment that Armstrong's system may work well for a trending market, but doesn't work well for a side-way market, here is my opinion on that.

Whatever trading system, it MUST work on ALL kinds of markets.  At such time when people realize that the market is TRENDING, that is already HINDSIGHT from the technical analysis.  Whether it's trending in months or in years, by the time you realize that it is TRENDING, it is kind of LATE, and not much profits left to be made.

You cannot apply the trading system, and just hope that you're applying it in the correct environment.  If I know whether the market will be going sideway, or trending down, or trending up, for the NEXT 6 months, I can ALREADY use that information for successful trades, withOUT using ANY trading system, whether it's from Armstrong or not.

So again, I want to repeat, ONLY live trades qualify to prove any trading systems (including Armstrong).  Nothing else with some hindsight knowledge sneaked in here or there through backdoor is just trying to fake the result.

If you guys want to keep your "knowledge" that "Socrates works great" to yourself without showing it, that is FINE, and you should NOT participate in this forum.  We are all here waiting to SEE how Socrates can work successfully.  You don't want to show it, that is FINE.  Just stay AWAY.  Otherwise, anything else that quotes "historical trades" with hindsight is just propaganda.

Just to repeat again:

Exactly. I rally cannot see the purpose of digging into this hindsight chart. What is the purpose of that stuff?

Alex11 you are extremely naive. Do you think we are idiots? Who would want to waste time with that?

Plus markets are trading sideways more often than not.

Read this blog starting at page 273 to find out more about computerized fraud

See https://armstrongecmscam.blogspot.com for a more compact view of major findings posted in this blog
bikefront

Activity: 428
Merit: 21

View Profile
July 30, 2019, 08:32:03 PM

Alex, if you wanted to use historical data to measure performance, the Private Blog posts would have been better, as they are posted in real time, unlike the chart which showed only hindsight calls that cannot be verified. If they were made up, no one would have had any way to verify if they were real or if Armstrong was making things up. But actually, Armstrong has shown to change/edit blog posts so even then, it is unreliable. This is the reason why I abandoned the attempt to backrest them manually. Simply put, we have no way of verifying the data itself. Garbage in garbage out is apt here. Using the chart is only blindly taking Armstrong's word for it. None can be used.

So Armstrong is calling for an August high which should occur on the first week on an intraweek or closing basis, apparently. Are any Armstrong proponents trading this call? And if so, how?
MA_talk

View Profile
July 30, 2019, 08:40:19 PM

@MA_talk

The ECM is probably the best way to trade, in line with the business cycle. There is also no need to argue about it not being accurate to the day because this is not going to help you with your trade. Each market has its own unique cycle so it often will not line up perfectly with the ECM so for example the Dow Jones may make a cycle low in December which looks likely based off the monthly array since we also have a directional change in January.

https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/uncategorized/what-kind-of-trader-is-trading/

@Gumbi, You are JOKING, right?  How about you EXPLAIN the TRADE for the ECM of 2015.75 that is ALREADY BEHIND US, when Armstrong was screaming bloody hell about PEAK of Government confidence?

Now you have the supreme advantage of the hindsight, explaining an ECM trade for PEAK of Government confidence.  Please tell me.

If you cannot trade that ECM date, HOW can you trade the next ECM date?

And Armstrong LIED about ECM being accurate "down to the day", and your attitude is like, "oh, I don't care about his lying at all, because I can just trade the ECM."

SURE, tell us how to do that for 2015.75!

EVERY trader with some experiences would know shorting government bonds (government confidence) is the "best trade" for that, and they would have lost their shirts and homes, if they leverage the trade.

Please tell us how to short at the peak of government confidence with profits!
AnonymousCoder

View Profile
July 30, 2019, 08:42:49 PM
Last edit: July 30, 2019, 09:05:28 PM by AnonymousCoder

Just to repeat again:
The July PANIC month is a JOKE AGAIN (like the February Panic Month)!  How many times do I need to say that?  Armstrong's Arrays do NOT work at ALL.

Is anyone even surprised?

Just look how Martin Armstrong makes these arrays up. It is documented here:

https://www.ask-socrates.com/How-To-Use-Forecasting-Arrays#TradingCycle

Bullish and bearish markets have empirical nominal durations that last specific time units (days, weeks, months years):
    Bullish: 7-11-14-21 time units
    Bearish: 2-3-5-6-10-12-18 time units

OK, every clock is right twice a day. Your mileage may vary ...

This numerology magic may turn out to be a very crude random number generator at best.

See https://armstrongecmscam.blogspot.com for a more compact view of major findings posted in this blog
DanB1

Activity: 56

View Profile
July 31, 2019, 06:29:04 AM

I agree, @Gumbi, @Alex-11, come and show us your live trades using Socrates and show us that it works.
If you don't then please do not bother us anymore with just how great this system is and how wrong we are.
psp777

Activity: 73
Merit: 5

View Profile
July 31, 2019, 11:22:43 AM

Well, Armstrong has 13.2k followers on Twitter. Maybe those that feel inclined should refute his posts @StrongEconomics
Alex-11

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2019, 12:24:08 PM
Last edit: July 31, 2019, 09:31:19 PM by Alex-11

Alex, if you wanted to use historical data to measure performance, the Private Blog posts would have been better, as they are posted in real time, unlike the chart which showed only hindsight calls that cannot be verified. If they were made up, no one would have had any way to verify if they were real or if Armstrong was making things up. But actually, Armstrong has shown to change/edit blog posts so even then, it is unreliable. This is the reason why I abandoned the attempt to backrest them manually. Simply put, we have no way of verifying the data itself. Garbage in garbage out is apt here. Using the chart is only blindly taking Armstrong's word for it. None can be used.

So Armstrong is calling for an August high which should occur on the first week on an intraweek or closing basis, apparently. Are any Armstrong proponents trading this call? And if so, how?

The problem with the blog posts is that they are not regular enough. There are still decisions that I have to taken when to buy or sell. That's why I say it's better to judge the system itself.

On the blog post one can only judge if that particular statement turned out to be right or wrong (or something in between). This can be done but I prefer the system verification.

Regarding the charts, yes it is hindsight and if you are extreme sceptical about Armstrong then you will demand hard prove from others and you will not try yourself to prove it. People who are more positive about Armstrong would probably say , oh this is interesting. I will watch this happen on a live system and if it turns out to confirm what was shown on the chart, then it's good to be used.  Or you would look for other charts like this to see how those are doing in terms of profit. But this is not happening here.

I said it before and I can say it again. I don't feel like I have to prove to anybody that Socrates is working. I just want to discuss certain aspects of Socrates.  Has anybody here is this forum shared results of real research?  I mean something like I did in the forum with analyzing that buy /sell signal chart and posting the results (and probably even the raw data).  I haven't seen anything like that from other people. So if I would  invest  e.g. 1 full week of work in researching in something, why should I post this here in the forum if nobody else does it?  I've seen a lot of claims that people have backtested things and posted their conclusion, but I've not seen something like I did. Testing many samples and properly describe the test and eventually even post the raw data.

Also, regarding to a comment that Armstrong's system may work well for a trending market, but doesn't work well for a side-way market,
If a  system produces consistant  profits, then to me it doesn't matter how. There are only very few markets which move sideways for a long time.

AnonymousCoder

View Profile
July 31, 2019, 01:13:49 PM
Last edit: July 31, 2019, 01:51:52 PM by AnonymousCoder

I've seen a lot of claims that people have backtested things and posted their conclusion, but I've not seen something like I did. Testing many samples and properly describe the test and eventually even post the raw data.

I don't know whether I should actually respond to so much stupidity.

There is only one valid conclusion from this: Ask Socrates support to provide historical data!

Other services are doing it.

If not supplied then unsubscribe from Socrates. After supplied then subscribe and check that historical data is actually authentic and sufficient.

Otherwise you are an idiot because:

1) You are deriving data that a convicted criminal

https://pennrecord.com/stories/511497776-federal-judge-coin-collector-s-criminal-record-mentions-will-not-be-stricken-from-ownership-complaint

posted in hindsight without ability to check it and then you claim that you describe it "properly". Outrageous!

2) You are paying Martin Armstrong for your work of testing the bugs of his system

3) You are thinking that someone who has a massive amount of raw data that only very few are able to obtain would take the risk of publishing it just to please you.

Finally I want to make it clear that I am not taking any of Martin Armstrong's work seriously in any way. If I did that then I would discredit myself. I am posting here only to discredit Martin Armstrong and what he produces with the aim to save other honest people some grief and a lot of money.

MTL4

Activity: 46

View Profile
July 31, 2019, 02:41:41 PM
Last edit: July 31, 2019, 03:13:55 PM by MTL4

Thanks, I had never seen this explanation before but it confirms what I suspected as to how the arrays were generated.  It also shows why it would have been much more helpful to have the actual numbers on the bars rather than just bar heights/colors since the bar heights are obviously relative to what's currently displayed.  Not sure why 2 bullish and 1 bearish equals neutral (yellow) but I digress.

Regarding the charts, yes it is hindsight and if you are extreme sceptical about Armstrong then you will demand hard prove from others and you will not try yourself to prove it. People who are more positive about Armstrong would probably say , oh this is interesting. I will watch this happen on a live system and if it turns out to confirm what was shown on the chart, then it's good to be used.  Or you would look for other charts like this to see how those are doing in terms of profit. But this is not happening here.

I said it before and I can say it again. I don't feel like I have to prove to anybody that Socrates is working. I just want to discuss certain aspects of Socrates.  Has anybody here is this forum shared results of real research?  I mean something like I did in the forum with analyzing that buy /sell signal chart and posting the results (and probably even the raw data).  I haven't seen anything like that from other people. So if I would  invest  e.g. 1 full week of work in researching in something, why should I post this here in the forum if nobody else does it?  I've seen a lot of claims that people have back tested things and posted their conclusion, but I've not seen something like I did. Testing many samples and properly describe the test and eventually even post the raw data.

Alex, hang on a minute.  There's been quite a few very smart people working on verifying Socrates.  I'm happy to post up overlays I did of the Socrates arrays vs actual market performance (over days, weeks, months) but I can tell you I didn't see much worth trading at all and the reversals were ever less helpful when plotted against the market.  I'd say that qualifies as impartial research.  So the issue here is that you're saying the system works and you just want to discuss the details but a large majority of other folks are saying we're not even seeing it work or produce any profits at all (hence my request for real time trades).  Then when those who claim it works are questioned, all we hear is you don't see the big picture or you don't understand how Socrates works.  Wouldn't you want to prove folks wrong if they claimed something was BS and you knew better?  This is not about whether you like MA or if you think he's totally lost it (I'd listen to someone who was crazy but correct any day) this is about if the system really works or if it's just someone making false claims.
olegrey

Activity: 83

View Profile
July 31, 2019, 03:25:15 PM

Thanks, I had never seen this explanation before but it confirms what I suspected as to how the arrays were generated.  It also shows why it would have been much more helpful to have the actual numbers on the bars rather than just bar heights/colors since the bar heights are obviously relative to what's currently displayed.  Not sure why 2 bullish and 1 bearish equals neutral (yellow) but I digress.

I said it before and I can say it again. I don't feel like I have to prove to anybody that Socrates is working. I just want to discuss certain aspects of Socrates.  Has anybody here is this forum shared results of real research?  I mean something like I did in the forum with analyzing that buy /sell signal chart and posting the results (and probably even the raw data).  I haven't seen anything like that from other people. So if I would  invest  e.g. 1 full week of work in researching in something, why should I post this here in the forum if nobody else does it?  I've seen a lot of claims that people have back tested things and posted their conclusion, but I've not seen something like I did. Testing many samples and properly describe the test and eventually even post the raw data.

Alex, hang on a minute.  There's been quite a few very smart people working on verifying Socrates.  I'm happy to post up overlays I did of the Socrates arrays vs actual market performance (over days, weeks, months) but I can tell you I didn't see much worth trading at all and the reversals were ever less helpful when plotted against the market.  I'd say that qualifies as impartial research.  So the issue here is that you're saying the system works and you just want to discuss the details but a large majority of other folks are saying we're not even seeing it work or produce any profits at all (hence my request for real time trades).  Then when those who claim it works are questioned, all we hear is you don't see the big picture or you don't understand how Socrates works.  Wouldn't you want to prove folks wrong if they claimed something was BS and you knew better?  This is not about whether you like MA or if you think he's totally lost it (I'd listen to someone who was crazy but correct any day) this is about if the system really works or if it's just someone making false claims.
Please post your overlays
MA_talk

View Profile
July 31, 2019, 04:24:15 PM

For people who keep saying that arrays do work, how about you address that Feb, May, July of 2019 are supposedly panic cycle months FIRST?

The supporters of Armstrong always dodge the failures of the Socrates without addressing ANYTHING, and then simply pretend that the failures don't exist, and then continue to pretend to discuss the system & methodology AS IF everything is so terrific.  And then always push the burden of proof upon the people who are skeptical.

EXTRAORDINARY claims require extraordinary evidences.  To claim a trading system works like magic, when most of the active mutual fund managers canNOT beat the market, is an extraordinary claim.  The burden of proof lies on the people who make SUCH EXTRAORDINARY claims, NOT vice versa.

And we are asking something very straightforward, to prove the merit of system by live trades, with PRE-DEFINED entry/exit rules.  And the fact is after 308+ pages of forum posts, NOBODY can come even close to show some profit.

In fact, I will even say that one should test the system by allowing only prices executed AT THE CLOSING, and the trades of either buy or sell can be declared 15 minutes earlier before the market close.  If a system will work, it will work under this constraint, because except daily traders, all other Technical Analytic systems go by the daily closing prices.  This constraint doesn't pose much on the TA, but while at the same time, prevents LIARS from making up phantom intra-day profits in volatile markets.

This challenge to supporters have been outstanding for at least 3 months.  And obviously, if it could have been done, it would have been done.  All I hear is just lame excuses.  Well, if you don't want to show it, how about you go away?

HOW ABOUT ALL OF US clicked on the "report to moderator" on the people who are not interested in participating, but instead continue to put out propaganda without any substantiations?
AnonymousCoder

View Profile
July 31, 2019, 04:36:46 PM

This challenge to supporters have been outstanding for at least 3 months.  And obviously, if it could have been done, it would have been done.  All I hear is just lame excuses.  Well, if you don't want to show it, how about you go away?

HOW ABOUT ALL OF US clicked on the "report to moderator" on the people who are not interested in participating, but instead continue to put out propaganda without any substantiations?

We need them to make these ridiculous claims so that we can reveal all the inconsistencies in them for all to see.

MTL4

Activity: 46

View Profile
July 31, 2019, 04:49:51 PM

I don't see any way to attach photos on here, what are folks using for that?
Happy to post them if someone can provide an easy way to do it.
Alex-11

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2019, 06:16:17 PM
Last edit: July 31, 2019, 09:30:21 PM by Alex-11

you can upload here and post the links
https://imgur.com/

unwashed

Activity: 31

View Profile
July 31, 2019, 06:38:42 PM

This is what I was addressing and can not be attributed to the subject. All the sites, news and blogs do it. I stopped visiting Zero Hedge in 2013 for this very reason, sensationalism for Clicks for ads
My point is they all do it to grab your attention dishonestly and should be pointed out.

I agree. It seems to be worse than what you describe.

I tried three times to get zerohedge membership with the single purpose of being able to comment on their articles. All attempts failed.

I have the suspicion, that zerohedge sells pre-defined comments as part of their package.

Otherwise I cannot explain how Martin Armstrong's articles on zerohedge get public comments 100% biased exclusively in his favor. If I cannot comment then there is no other conclusion.

Armstrong does not really have genuine ideas and research. It is all re-published at best. Content aggregation at its cheapest level. And I think it is a crime because he sells his crap as being the solution of this problem, claiming the higher ground, for the people looking for answers.

Then he builds this Socrates contraption that he uses to rip people off without having to even write anything.

I really do not have any words for this any more.

Yes, I couldn't agree more. I wouldn't doubt that ZH is doing this sort of thing. Back when I was visiting ZH, I remember them deleting comments that raised question about ZH or anything they didn't agree with but I bet they're willing to look the other way for a price. It's more about perception then the validity of the site and MA system, comments are a very useful tool in this regard.   
olegrey

Activity: 83

View Profile
July 31, 2019, 08:18:38 PM

The DOW elected the bearish daily reversal at 27068.78 with the Dow closing at 26864.3, a 0.76% difference.  I have bought DOG which is an inverse ETF for the dow. 
AnonymousCoder

View Profile
July 31, 2019, 08:26:25 PM

The DOW elected the bearish daily reversal at 27068.78 with the Dow closing at 26864.3, a 0.76% difference.  I have bought DOG which is an inverse ETF for the dow. 

Are holding your short for three days now because you concluded that this should be the trading period?

bikefront

Activity: 428
Merit: 21

View Profile
July 31, 2019, 08:41:52 PM

I hope the market shows a lot of volatility in the coming weeks. My multi hit price point system generated a buy signal  near the bottom of the second lowest candle of the day today. That last candle did end up giving a lot of drawdown though, more than I had expected, but it bounced nicely. The volume on that low candle was absolutely beautiful. And I missed the whole thing Sad busy at work. Don't want to post too much on that- mods did take down a live trade due to it being unrelated- but the point is that support/resistance based on past price does work.

Olgray, options can generate greater returns, but your leverage may vary. We'll see how it goes. Alex, although the private blog posts do not give frequent updates, the posts are there since I think 2016. So that should provide ample material to work with and thus give a large number of calls to use. But again, I don't know if he changed any of the posts. The chart posted was retrospect so it cannot be used. Armstrong is not exempt from the same criteria as anyone else, so they need to be real time or in advance. If you look at some of my old posts, I'd given numbers in advance with clear criteria- if X hits price Y on the same 5 min candle as A hits on price B, then a reversal trade is generated. I actually did this several weeks in advance with a list of numbers to be used when I was on a trading forum- price actually his some on the same 5 min candle much later on. Armstrong has Reversal numbers where there are other numbers above and below. So his system should be able to do the same thing as far as forecasting price is concerned.

I would like to see forecasts made where the criteria is set in advance, OR live trades with entry and intended exit posted. If an Armstrong proponent does not wish to do so, that is fine. But no other method of proof will be acceptable, so if they wish to prove something, please use that method.
Pages: « 1 ... 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 [308] 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.