Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 07:54:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 [430] 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 ... 2137 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com  (Read 3049457 times)
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 11:18:06 PM

Kano and cklovis... hopefully Jupiters #1 and #2 will be on your doorstep soon  Cheesy
No, read between the lines Smiley
Their comment was "stuff you we aren't doing what we contacted you about at the start and told you we would do - we'll save a ... small amount of money not having to send out some hardware ... yay we got off that scott free"
I'm not surprised.
Maybe in my case they never liked the fact that their "In a few months" and "Summer" of their first post seemed rather shifty to me and I made comment about that ... Tongue

Anyway look on the bright side: you "may" all get your devices a few months earlier coz they didn't have to write a miner and got to use the code base of the best one ... though no idea what old version of it they will be using. I wonder if I'll have another "Where's the source code" thread Smiley

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
amencon

Activity: 410
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 12:40:53 AM

There's actually zero risk so long as they stick by their refund policy, and I'm sure at this point they've made way more then enough money to refund every single person who orders for November delivery.  So I don't see much risk.
Then you're just not looking very hard.

Refunds would cause customers to experience exchange losses. Someone who paid 39 Bitcoins for a Saturn two months ago would at most get 32 Bitcoins back, a loss of over $800.

But more importantly, if something gains value and then loses that value, you cannot argue that nobody was harmed. There can be people who bought in the middle, at the inflated price, who now are stuck with much less than they paid. Pro-orders have gained value. Someone who bought the right to a Saturn ordered two months ago for 45 Bitcoins today (which is reasonable) would be out the value of the expected profits that he had paid for, getting 32 Bitcoins back for the 45 Bitcoins he spent.

Loss of future expected value *is* a real present loss because expected values can be sold, traded, borrowed against, and so on. Of course part of the nature of future expected values is that they're accompanied by risk -- lots of risk. Everyone who has a pre-order has future expected value at risk.

C'mon man currencies fluctuate, you know that, and the fact Bitcoin is an emerging currency means that inherent risk is omnipresent until mainstream acceptance and regularatory outlines are more concrete. People need to acknowledge that and factor that into their own risk tolerance, wear big boy pants and assume responsibility for their own actions, no one is forcing them to spend coins, it' not the company's fault, or problem, it's' their own decision to make and standby. If BTC dropped, they sure as hell wouldn't want the coins back, it's a two way street and peeps need to grow a pair.
Your response seems out of place based on what Joel said.  As far as I can tell he was only responding to the statement that there is no risk.  He's correct that there is risk, however I don't see any judgments about those risks in his post at all.  I don't think his message had anything to do with what he thinks you should or should not do.  Only that risk exists.  You can leave the "big boy pants" posts to others I think.
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 04:22:14 AM

Kano and cklovis... hopefully Jupiters #1 and #2 will be on your doorstep soon  Cheesy
Their comment was "stuff you we aren't doing what we contacted you about at the start and told you we would do - we'll save a ... small amount of money not having to send out some hardware ... yay we got off that scott free"
I'm not surprised.
Maybe in my case they never liked the fact that their "In a few months" and "Summer" of their first post seemed rather shifty to me and I made comment about that ... Tongue

Anyway look on the bright side: you "may" all get your devices a few months earlier coz they didn't have to write a miner and got to use the code base of the best one ... though no idea what old version of it they will be using. I wonder if I'll have another "Where's the source code" thread Smiley

Strange, wonder if they would have seen that 30% increase if they had let you do it?
I guess that means the hash rate on them with be 30% better? Smiley

If they are referring to the code itself, well ckolivas made major head roads into CPU usage ... maybe they just copied ... some ... of his >30% changes Tongue

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Ytterbium

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2013, 04:30:45 AM

There's actually zero risk so long as they stick by their refund policy, and I'm sure at this point they've made way more then enough money to refund every single person who orders for November delivery.  So I don't see much risk.

Refunds would cause customers to experience exchange losses. Someone who paid 39 Bitcoins for a Saturn two months ago would at most get 32 Bitcoins back, a loss of over $800.

But more importantly, if something gains value and then loses that value, you cannot argue that nobody was harmed. There can be people who bought in the middle, at the inflated price, who now are stuck with much less than they paid. Pro-orders have gained value. Someone who bought the right to a Saturn ordered two months ago for 45 Bitcoins today (which is reasonable) would be out the value of the expected profits that he had paid for, getting 32 Bitcoins back for the 45 Bitcoins he spent.

Loss of future expected value *is* a real present loss because expected values can be sold, traded, borrowed against, and so on. Of course part of the nature of future expected values is that they're accompanied by risk -- lots of risk. Everyone who has a pre-order has future expected value at risk.

C'mon man currencies fluctuate, you know that, and the fact Bitcoin is an emerging currency means that inherent risk is omnipresent until mainstream acceptance and regularatory outlines are more concrete. People need to acknowledge that and factor that into their own risk tolerance, wear big boy pants and assume responsibility for their own actions, no one is forcing them to spend coins, it' not the company's fault, or problem, it's' their own decision to make and standby. If BTC dropped, they sure as hell wouldn't want the coins back, it's a two way street and peeps need to grow a pair.
Your response seems out of place based on what Joel said.  As far as I can tell he was only responding to the statement that there is no risk.  He's correct that there is risk, however I don't see any judgments about those risks in his post at all.  I don't think his message had anything to do with what he thinks you should or should not do.  Only that risk exists.  You can leave the "big boy pants" posts to others I think.

Well that is correct in that there are exchange rate risks.  That's obviously something that BFL customers got completely screwed over by.

However, the price of bitcoin has been all over the place since KnC started taking orders.  You could have ordered when btc was $120 and asked for a refund when btc was $90.

There's no risk if you purchase with USD, I should say.

Otherwise there's currency risk just buying the machine in a non-pre-order fashion, you could order and see the price of bitcoin shoot up 20% while you're waiting for delivery.

xstr8guy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 06:03:44 AM

I'm not surprised.

I was being facetious.  You fellas should be getting a free Jupiter for all of your hard work!
creativex

Activity: 434

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 06:15:20 AM

Of course there's risk. There's the lost opportunity cost associated with buying mining equipment that will return less BTC than you'd have if you'd simply exchanged the fiat for BTC directly.

Otherwise there's currency risk just buying the machine in a non-pre-order fashion, you could order and see the price of bitcoin shoot up 20% while you're waiting for delivery.

The same is true of a pre-order and the more time that elapses between placing the order and finally having it delivered the more likely this scenario is to come to pass.

vulgartrendkill

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2013, 06:16:06 AM

Just seen the videos on youtube of one of the machines hashing. Looks good.  anyone known if its a usb plug n play or resp pi etc?
amencon

Activity: 410

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 06:33:32 AM

Your response seems out of place based on what Joel said.  As far as I can tell he was only responding to the statement that there is no risk.  He's correct that there is risk, however I don't see any judgments about those risks in his post at all.  I don't think his message had anything to do with what he thinks you should or should not do.  Only that risk exists.  You can leave the "big boy pants" posts to others I think.

Well that is correct in that there are exchange rate risks.  That's obviously something that BFL customers got completely screwed over by.

However, the price of bitcoin has been all over the place since KnC started taking orders.  You could have ordered when btc was $120 and asked for a refund when btc was $90.

Right but the fact that the price has gone up and down does nothing to refute the statement that risk does exist which was the only message being delivered.  I'm not saying the risk isn't worth it or that it can't work out well for the investor.  In a non-pre-order fashion order the risk still exists but your exposure to the risk is diminished greatly.  Also holding BTC vs using it to buy a miner is roughly equivalent to the decision between buying BTC or using the USD to buy a miner, the risk still exists.
FUKT

Activity: 446

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 06:43:57 AM

Just seen the videos on youtube of one of the machines hashing. Looks good.  anyone known if its a usb plug n play or resp pi etc?

What machines hashing?
vulgartrendkill

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2013, 06:50:29 AM

What machines hashing?

It was a video from the open day of knc. bitcoinorama put it up i believe.
plasmoske

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

The realist

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 06:50:57 AM

What machines hashing?

Probably the prototype FPGA...

Oh and by the way, it's a standalone (linux) not usb plug and play.
the-skeptic

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 07:58:43 AM

I just shot KNC an email, but I figure I might as well pose this here as well. KNC is offering to pre-configure our miners, right? I suspect that each miner will go through a burn-in test of some sort, like most computers do (or at least used too). Is KNC going to do the burn-in using the pool-of-choice, that you've entered on their website, or are they going to make a few BTC by using their own internal pool and pay directly to the wallet they've also asked for on the config page?

I would prefer they use my chosen pool, not their internal pool. But that's just me.
vulgartrendkill

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2013, 08:00:30 AM

What machines hashing?

Probably the prototype FPGA...

Oh and by the way, it's a standalone (linux) not usb plug and play.

Ok thanks,  so does that mean it has a built in linux distro?
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 08:00:42 AM

Mark my words: given the current circumstances, best case scenario is first miners ship at the very end of September (last week for sure), and the vast majority of those who hoped to receive their hardware in September will receive it in October. No working ASIC prototype on September 6th.

Best case.

de_ixie

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 08:01:21 AM

I just shot KNC an email, but I figure I might as well pose this here as well. KNC is offering to pre-configure our miners, right? I suspect that each miner will go through a burn-in test of some sort, like most computers do (or at least used too). Is KNC going to do the burn-in using the pool-of-choice, that you've entered on their website, or are they going to make a few BTC by using their own internal pool and pay directly to the wallet they've also asked for on the config page?

I would prefer they use my chosen pool, not their internal pool. But that's just me.

they'll use your pre-settings for burn in

European Bitcoin Exchange - Bitcoin handeln im deutschen Rechtsraum. Fair und reibungslos:
www.bitcoin.de (Aff. Link - Thank you!)
Satobit

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 08:12:40 AM

Mark my words: given the current circumstances, best case scenario is first miners ship at the very end of September (last week for sure), and the vast majority of those who hoped to receive their hardware in September will receive it in October. No working ASIC prototype on September 6th.

Best case.

bullshit!
FUKT

Activity: 446

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 08:39:46 AM

they'll use your pre-settings for burn in

That would be interesting if they did, you could monitor your pool worker to see any shares been mined. This would indicate they are close to shipping.
dhenson
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 08:41:36 AM

I just want the KNC pool site to come online so I can get signed up and pre-configure my settings.
Meizirkki

Activity: 616

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 08:52:53 AM

Best case.
It's wrong to assume they keep us up to date with everything.
demonmaestro

Activity: 574

Mining for the hell of it.

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 08:56:22 AM

It would be nice if they did! I would think that it would drive up pre-orders!

Feel Like Donating? bc1q0v5nfdejapffewu67gft7zw7zsmnfmmkt3lf02
Buy/Sell BitCoin & LiteCoin  Click here! | Looking for a great exchange? CoinBase Has you covered.
Pages: « 1 ... 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 [430] 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 ... 2137 »
  Print  

Jump to: