Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 10:14:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 [741] 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 ... 1154 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [4+ EH] Slush Pool (slushpool.com); Overt AsicBoost; World First Mining Pool  (Read 4381856 times)
manubar82

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 09:03:24 AM

i (almost) trippled my hashing power on 6.feb.

due to our "pool luck" my earnings are BELOW the former average - so i have tripple the hashing power but not even the same earnings..

i lost almost an entire week of my new hardwars capabilities.

help me people, i really WANT to stay at sllush, but its getting harder every minute!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stogiee

Activity: 3

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2014, 09:31:54 AM

due to our "pool luck" my earnings are BELOW the former average - so i have tripple the hashing power but not even the same earnings..

help me people, i really WANT to stay at sllush, but its getting harder every minute!

Is that not what's meant to happen, it gets harder as time moves on?

Will it eventually be the guys that can afford millions of dollars of kit that will be the sole miners?

I can't see how anyone will be able to house the needed hardware in their own homes in the near future, these cloud farms are taking over fast.
manubar82

Activity: 28

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 09:35:17 AM

Is that not what's meant to happen, it gets harder as time moves on?

Will it eventually be the guys that can afford millions of dollars of kit that will be the sole miners?

I can't see how anyone will be able to house the needed hardware in their own homes in the near future, these cloud farms are taking over fast.

of course you're right, it is supposed to get harder. but less then one third of earnings in a span of one week is in no way acceptable.
manic miner

Activity: 29

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 10:05:32 AM

"12.02.2014
Quick update, website has been migrated to a new location as it turned out to be a DDOS attack. Everything is now operational."

Can someone clever please explain to me what effect that might have us and on the pool.
necro_nemesis

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 12:02:35 PM

"12.02.2014
Quick update, website has been migrated to a new location as it turned out to be a DDOS attack. Everything is now operational."

Can someone clever please explain to me what effect that might have us and on the pool.

I had to look up the acronym "Distributed Denial of Service". So similarly my questions are was this targeted at the pool, at bitcoin in general and did someone somehow benefit from this with respect to mining coin over the period of attack?

How would this have been executed and what measures are the pool or mining in general able to take to not have this reoccur?
eoakland

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 01:35:18 PM

Just waking up (in CA)....reading the message about migrating from slush.  was the site under attack the past 10 days or so, or is this recent ?  Is that why our "luck" was so bad ?  if so, why are things not more transparent ?

Code:
               ▄▄███████▄▄
            ▄███████████████▄
           ███████████████████
          █████████████████████▄▄▄▄
      ▄▄▄████████████████████████████▄
   ▄█████ ▐▌ ██████████████████████████▄
 ▄█████       ▀█         █          ████▄
▐███████  ███  ▐█  ██▀█▄▄█▄▄██  ██▄▄█████
████████       ██     ████████  █████████
████████  ███  ▐█  ██▄█▀▀█████  ████████▀
 ██████       ▄█         ███      █████▀
  ▀██████ ▐▌ ████████████████████████▀
    ▀▀▀██████████████████████████▀▀
       ▄▄▀▀▀██████▄
    ▄██████▀▀███████▀▀▄
  ▄██████▀▄███████████▄▀▄
 ▄█ ███████████████ ████▄▄
▄██████████████████▌▐█████▄
███████████████████████████
▀▄████████▄▄▄▀▀▀████████▀▄
██████████████████████████
▀████ ████████████████████▀
 ▀████ █████████▀▄████ ██▀
  ▀████▄▀█████▀▀▄█████▌▐▀
▄███▀▄██████▄▄████▀▀▄▄▀███▄
▀██████
▀▀████▄▄▄▄▄▀▀██████▀
   ▀▀▀███████████████▀▀▀
         ▄▄▀▀██▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
      ▄▀▀██▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
  ▄▄▄▀▀▀█▄▄▄▀▄██████████
▄▀▀█▄▀█▄█▀███████████
▄▀████████▐▌██████
 █▀▄██████████▄████▄████
  ▀▄█████████████████████
   ▀▄█████████▀██████▀███
     ██████████▄██▄█████
      █████████████████████
       ▀▄████████████████
        ▀▄████████████████
          ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
J_Dubbs

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 01:44:16 PM

This is what I've been talking about that some people don't want to consider, a problem backstage. Right now our feedback loops consist of estimated reward, hash rate, round time, and luck. I guess "CDF" might be important, but I don't know how to read it or what it means. Anyways, that's not the point. If we had knowledge of these attacks, then perhaps the 15+ hour round and awful "luck" would have proper context. Here is yet another example where a technical issue backstage is probably playing a significant role in our round length or ability to find a block. Whatever, it's Bitcoin mining, just a hobby for me; and I'm fine waiting for the technical issues to be resolved, but I wish there was a better feedback loop to tell us the technical "health" of the website, just more transparency during rather than after the event.
eoakland

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 01:54:47 PM

This is what I've been talking about that some people don't want to consider, a problem backstage. Right now our feedback loops consist of estimated reward, hash rate, round time, and luck. I guess "CDF" might be important, but I don't know how to read it or what it means. Anyways, that's not the point. If we had knowledge of these attacks, then perhaps the 15+ hour round and awful "luck" would have proper context. Here is yet another example where a technical issue backstage is probably playing a significant role in our round length or ability to find a block. Whatever, it's Bitcoin mining, just a hobby for me; and I'm fine waiting for the technical issues to be resolved, but I wish there was a better feedback loop to tell us the technical "health" of the website, just more transparency during rather than after the event.

PM sent

Code:
               ▄▄███████▄▄
            ▄███████████████▄
           ███████████████████
       ▄▄▀▀▀██████▄
    ▄██████▀▀███████▀▀▄
  ▄██████▀▄███████████▄▀▄
  ▀████▄▀█████▀▀▄█████▌▐▀
▀██████
▀▀████▄▄▄▄▄▀▀██████▀
   ▀▀▀███████████████▀▀▀
         ▄▄▀▀██▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
      ▄▀▀██▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
  ▄▄▄▀▀▀█▄▄▄▀▄██████████
▄▀▀█▄▀█▄█▀███████████
▄▀████████▐▌██████
 █▀▄██████████▄████▄████
  ▀▄█████████████████████
   ▀▄█████████▀██████▀███
     ██████████▄██▄█████
      █████████████████████
       ▀▄████████████████
        ▀▄████████████████
          ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
eoakland

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 02:34:19 PM

jumped ship...the luck should change now.  i think i am the cooler.  =)

Code:
               ▄▄███████▄▄
            ▄███████████████▄
           ███████████████████
       ▄▄▀▀▀██████▄
    ▄██████▀▀███████▀▀▄
  ▄██████▀▄███████████▄▀▄
  ▀████▄▀█████▀▀▄█████▌▐▀
▀██████
▀▀████▄▄▄▄▄▀▀██████▀
   ▀▀▀███████████████▀▀▀
         ▄▄▀▀██▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
      ▄▀▀██▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
  ▄▄▄▀▀▀█▄▄▄▀▄██████████
▄▀▀█▄▀█▄█▀███████████
▄▀████████▐▌██████
 █▀▄██████████▄████▄████
  ▀▄█████████████████████
   ▀▄█████████▀██████▀███
     ██████████▄██▄█████
      █████████████████████
       ▀▄████████████████
        ▀▄████████████████
          ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
KNK

Activity: 692
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 02:34:44 PM

I guess "CDF" might be important, but I don't know how to read it or what it means.
That's what organofcorti tried to explain, but it's easier to whinecomplain i guess.

Right now CDF is at 69.26 % and there are 3092255627 shares contributed in current round, while the difficulty is 2621404453, so:
we have 3092255627 / 2621404453 = ~1.18 times the difficulty shares. Check on the CDF graph where is 1.18 on the horizontal axis and the CDF value is on the vertical axis. It shows that ~69% of all blocks are found before the number of shares we have so far.
Or otherwise said - once CDF passes over 50% the current round will reduce the daily pool luck.
If you check the same calculations against several rounds you should be more and more closer to 50% CDF (or 100% luck).

Right now the pool dropped to ~766Th/s, so it's 100Th/s or 13% less - with floating hashrate you can't be sure when it was normal to find a block, but the CDF will always be the same, no matter if the pool is 1Th or 1Ph

The website is just a representation/stats of the mining and is in no way related to luck or rewards. Slush pool will keep working and collect your rewards even if the website is shutdown for a week.

'backstage problems' with stratum servers may affect the pool, but then the 'Approx. cluster performance' will also drop. When pool's total hashpower goes down, then it's expected that the time to find a block will increase - it is no different from several miners hoping away from the pool.

Right now the pool hashrate dropped, but that's more likely a network connection problem not related in any way to the pool and out of control of the pool operators, so yes there is a problem, but no it's not a pool problem ... or just someone with 100Th hopped from the pool and there is no problem at all

Mega Crypto Polis - www.MegaCryptoPolis.com
BTC tips: 1KNK1akhpethhtcyhKTF2d3PWTQDUWUzHE
necro_nemesis

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 02:36:39 PM

Before jumping to conclusions on the effect of the DDoS attack how much remains a function of luck. What is "it" in this statement? Is "it" the poor luck experienced over the last while? The preceding update addresses an issue that appeared to be resolved regarding hash rate.

"12.02.2014

Scyntech

Activity: 349

“Blockchain Just Entered The Real World”

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 03:55:02 PM

just got done with a bunch of back and forth emails with support from Coinbase. I found a few +0.00000001 deposits in my account and their "verify text" system was done for hours. This was happening the same time all these attacks were occurring. Coinbase support got things cleared up, but still makes me uneasy since the Bitcoin I do have. Took forever to get. I'd rather not lose it.

███████████████████████
     ███▄ ▄▄▄▄   ▄▄▄█▀▀  █████
    ███  █▀  ▀█▀▀▀       ▐█ ███
   ███  ▄██▄▄█▀▄▄▄        █▌ ███
  ███ ▄█▀  █     ▀█▄▄     ▐█  ▐██
 ███▄█▀    █        ▀█▄▄  ▄▄▄ ██
████▀      █           ▀██▀   ▀█ ██
 ██▀█▄     █          ▄█▀▀█▄▄▄█▀██
  ██ ▀█▄   █      ▄▄█▀▀    ▐█  ██
   ██  ▀█▄█▀▀█▄▄█▀▀        █▌ ██
    ███  █▄  ▄█▀█▄▄▄      █▌███
     ███  ▀▀▀▀     ▀▀▀█▄▄▐████
      ███████████████████████

▄▄       ▄▄▄        ▄▄   ▄▄▄▄▄ 
  ▀█▄   ▄█▀ ▀█▄    ▄█▀ ▄█▀▀   ▀▀█▄
    ▀█▄█▀     ▀█▄▄█▀  ▐█         █▌
    ▄█▀█▄      ▄█▀    ▐█         █▌
  ▄█▀   ▀█▄  ▄█▀       █▄       ▄█
▄█▀       ▀██▀          ▀▀█▄▄▄█▀▀

Network
BLOCKCHAIN JUST ENTERED THE REAL WORLD
  Decentralized Crypto-Location Oracle Network
GET WHITELISTED FOR TOKEN SALE ( Limited )

WHITE PAPER  ││  ANN Thread  Telegram   Medium   Twitter   Reddit
KNK

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 04:11:49 PM

"12.02.2014
How to explain that the website is not related to hash rate and DDoS-ing it will only make it slow to load in your browser or timeout?

"If it's not in the newspaper it didn't happen" is similar conclusion, because the website is just that - a representation of the job done, not the tool doing the job.
I give up ... it seems you are just trolling and/or not even trying to understand

anthem

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 04:16:03 PM

I guess "CDF" might be important, but I don't know how to read it or what it means.
That's what organofcorti tried to explain, but it's easier to whinecomplain i guess.

Right now CDF is at 69.26 % and there are 3092255627 shares contributed in current round, while the difficulty is 2621404453, so:
we have 3092255627 / 2621404453 = ~1.18 times the difficulty shares. Check on the CDF graph where is 1.18 on the horizontal axis and the CDF value is on the vertical axis. It shows that ~69% of all blocks are found before the number of shares we have so far.
Or otherwise said - once CDF passes over 50% the current round will reduce the daily pool luck.
If you check the same calculations against several rounds you should be more and more closer to 50% CDF (or 100% luck).

Right now the pool dropped to ~766Th/s, so it's 100Th/s or 13% less - with floating hashrate you can't be sure when it was normal to find a block, but the CDF will always be the same, no matter if the pool is 1Th or 1Ph

The website is just a representation/stats of the mining and is in no way related to luck or rewards. Slush pool will keep working and collect your rewards even if the website is shutdown for a week.

This is exactly right.  Based on the CDF you can determine what should happen (at 50% for everything to be equal). .   which means its adjusted for difficulty. . .  Its obviously not "lucky" right now since we have an abnormally large amount of blocks that are way exceeding the CDF 50% level (which is the result of the large/long running rounds). .  The run from this last week has single handidly pulled the entire months luck down about 13% as it was near 101 just last week I believe..

So daily luck is a good number to look at but isn't reflective.  When it runs into weekly, its a bit more disturbing and now its reflected in the month - definitely a bad run right now.
DogRatCat

Activity: 1

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 05:18:29 PM

Is there a pool that is doing better? For example, I looked at the BitMinter's stats, https://bitminter.com/blocks , and they look like they've been having lots of long blocks also.

I have never used anything but Slush so I don't know what other pools are even worth considering if someone were to "jump ship". Am I correct in assuming that by joining one of the largest pools, that because of hashrate the larger pools get more rewards more often, but also that the rewards are also divided up into that many more pieces and so one's daily net would not really change except to vary with luck, the same as to just stay at Slush?
Trefdraeth

Activity: 32

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2014, 05:38:31 PM

Is there a pool that is doing better? For example, I looked at the BitMinter's stats, https://bitminter.com/blocks , and they look like they've been having lots of long blocks also.

I have never used anything but Slush so I don't know what other pools are even worth considering if someone were to "jump ship". Am I correct in assuming that by joining one of the largest pools, that because of hashrate the larger pools get more rewards more often, but also that the rewards are also divided up into that many more pieces and so one's daily net would not really change except to vary with luck, the same as to just stay at Slush?

That's what everyone who 'does the numbers' seems to be intimating. Stick with it, I reckon. Just because we've thrown some bad dice doesn't affect the probability of a six next time round.
eoakland

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 05:54:24 PM

"stick with it"....got us close to another bump in difficulty.  yes, other pools thrived and have not hit such lows.  ghash.io, btcguild, d.fish, eligius....all have seen luck stay relatively constant.  not one has experienced this severe "bad luck".  for the past 12 days i may as well have unplugged my hardware it would have earned close to the same.  Damn DDos attackers...you guys deserve a double-junk punch  =)

Code:
               ▄▄███████▄▄
            ▄███████████████▄
           ███████████████████
       ▄▄▀▀▀██████▄
    ▄██████▀▀███████▀▀▄
  ▄██████▀▄███████████▄▀▄
  ▀████▄▀█████▀▀▄█████▌▐▀
▀██████
▀▀████▄▄▄▄▄▀▀██████▀
   ▀▀▀███████████████▀▀▀
         ▄▄▀▀██▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
      ▄▀▀██▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
  ▄▄▄▀▀▀█▄▄▄▀▄██████████
▄▀▀█▄▀█▄█▀███████████
▄▀████████▐▌██████
 █▀▄██████████▄████▄████
  ▀▄█████████████████████
   ▀▄█████████▀██████▀███
     ██████████▄██▄█████
      █████████████████████
       ▀▄████████████████
        ▀▄████████████████
          ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
J_Dubbs

Activity: 322

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 06:29:59 PM

'backstage problems' with stratum servers may affect the pool, but then the 'Approx. cluster performance' will also drop. When pool's total hashpower goes down, then it's expected that the time to find a block will increase - it is no different from several miners hoping away from the pool.

Right now the pool hashrate dropped, but that's more likely a network connection problem not related in any way to the pool and out of control of the pool operators, so yes there is a problem, but no it's not a pool problem ... or just someone with 100Th hopped from the pool and there is no problem at all

I get enough assignments in grad school where I don't come here for additional formulas to compute. My reason is not to bitch about it; I'm pointing out the flaw where people act as if they know for a fact that "luck" is "pure". If something technical on the website that we don't know about results in longer rounds then "luck" is contaminated by the special cause event. I've had people tell me on this thread to look up the definition of "luck", but my point is the term definition assumes an uncorrupt system of chance. When I use the word corruption this does not mean wrongdoing or theft, it simply means a force other than pure luck is at play. Everytime we have a terrible run there is a technical problem, sometimes it is announced after, and everytime it is resolved we get restored to normal state that is perceived as "good" luck, which is really just nothing more than "normal"- it's perception.
KNK

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 07:13:34 PM

When I use the word corruption this does not mean wrongdoing or theft, it simply means a force other than pure luck is at play.
If you found a block, but your ISP experience problems and you can't submit it back to the pool ... is it luck or contamination?

Everytime we have a terrible run there is a technical problem, sometimes it is announced after, and everytime it is resolved we get restored to normal state that is perceived as "good" luck, which is really just nothing more than "normal"- it's perception.
This is something I can't agree with.
 'Every time' is to strong saying and i am sure you can't prove it or someone else may prove the opposite (or at least show an exception).
A technical problem may affect the pool for a while and it will always be 'announced after' ... or can you see in the future?
There are always technical problems from time to time ... or you have never lost your internet connection ... or you have never got 'network busy' on your mobile?
But there is one thing i am sure of - Slush will fix it as soon as he can and that's the important thing when choosing a pool.
No one can guarantee to you that when you move to another pool it won't experience any technical problems and in fact it's the opposite - big jump in usage (from multiple users - not necessary from big hashrate) will cause technical problems to almost any pool.

Benjy_Bronk

Activity: 37

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 07:15:51 PM

bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch

Seriously, if you people think that Slush's pool is so bad, why do you stick around?

LEAVE

Find another pool.

But have you ever heard the quote that starts out with "the grass is always greener...."

Me? I started here and I'm staying here.

Can't we all just, get along?
Pages: « 1 ... 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 [741] 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 ... 1154 »
  Print  

Jump to: