Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:28:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 [1002] 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 ... 1154 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [4+ EH] Slush Pool (slushpool.com); Overt AsicBoost; World First Mining Pool  (Read 4381849 times)
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 07:57:17 PM

I HOPE this block that is still at 100 confirmations remaining is ours and not someone else's.

That's the only reason I can think that it still has 100 confirmations.

Please be our block!

EDIT:  The more I watch it, the more it looks like none of the blocks we found are continuing their confirmation count down.
Each new block on the network counts as one confirmation. There hasn't been a new block found by anyone in the last 40 minutes, hence no more confirmations.

Have you NOT noticed the confirmation count down on the blocks found have yet to move since that block was found?

Also, sometimes there is argument between pools as to whom found a particular block first.  That's why I was wondering why that recent block found was still at 100.

After watching longer, NONE of the blocks found are counting down to being cofirmed.  I'm sure they are; it's just we are not seeing it on the beta.

EDIT:

There we go, they are counting down now.
No, they weren't counting down at all because they weren't supposed to be counting down. The confirmations listed by Slush is basically the number of blocks built on top of the block in question. IE, for block 331733, Slush will consider that confirmed and pay out for it after the network all together finds another 100 blocks. After 331733, no blocks were found for 40 minutes, and that's why it stayed as 100 confirmations required, and none of the other blocks were counting down either.

As a point, until a block has at least one built on top of it there's always the chance it can get orphaned, but it would actually be very unlikely for even the last block to be orphaned after a couple minutes or so. You get orphan races when two blocks are found within usually a couple seconds of each other, but after a minute everyone who's not running broken software would have been mining on our block, and not the preceeding one.
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dmwardjr
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1318

Technical Analyst/Trader

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 08:04:10 PM

I HOPE this block that is still at 100 confirmations remaining is ours and not someone else's.

That's the only reason I can think that it still has 100 confirmations.

Please be our block!

EDIT:  The more I watch it, the more it looks like none of the blocks we found are continuing their confirmation count down.
Each new block on the network counts as one confirmation. There hasn't been a new block found by anyone in the last 40 minutes, hence no more confirmations.

Have you NOT noticed the confirmation count down on the blocks found have yet to move since that block was found?

Also, sometimes there is argument between pools as to whom found a particular block first.  That's why I was wondering why that recent block found was still at 100.

After watching longer, NONE of the blocks found are counting down to being cofirmed.  I'm sure they are; it's just we are not seeing it on the beta.

EDIT:

There we go, they are counting down now.
No, they weren't counting down at all because they weren't supposed to be counting down. The confirmations listed by Slush is basically the number of blocks built on top of the block in question. IE, for block 331733, Slush will consider that confirmed and pay out for it after the network all together finds another 100 blocks. After 331733, no blocks were found for 40 minutes, and that's why it stayed as 100 confirmations required, and none of the other blocks were counting down either.

As a point, until a block has at least one built on top of it there's always the chance it can get orphaned, but it would actually be very unlikely for even the last block to be orphaned after a couple minutes or so. You get orphan races when two blocks are found within usually a couple seconds of each other, but after a minute everyone who's not running broken software would have been mining on our block, and not the preceeding one.

Thanks for taking the time to explain that to me, Mr Teal.  I know you didn't have to but I appreciate it.  Learn something all the time.

Thank you!   Grin

Follow me on Trading View for excellent signals in Bitcoin/US dollar - Bitstamp - https://www.tradingview.com/u/WyckoffMode/.  You can follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/ModeWyckoff My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8IbhpQwrTD6BozJPWnyAHA  My Discord Invite Link: https://discord.com/invite/3EJYTytaTT  My Website is in LIVE BETA: https://wyckoffmode.com/
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 09:26:36 PM

No, they weren't counting down at all because they weren't supposed to be counting down. The confirmations listed by Slush is basically the number of blocks built on top of the block in question. IE, for block 331733 (https://blockchain.info/block/00000000000000000d85f2d73089f2420d3f71d4a614139ace6bab56888adbc1?site=slush), Slush will consider that confirmed and pay out for it after the network all together finds another 100 blocks. After 331733, no blocks were found for 40 minutes, and that's why it stayed as 100 confirmations required, and none of the other blocks were counting down either.

Just a couple of points.

In the current bitcoin-qt it's 101 blocks Smiley
When I added that to the ckdb code I was surprised to see it is actually 101 not 100 (as I also thought it was 100)
But that's also due to the confusion that when a block is found it is considered 1 confirm, not 0 confirms.

Although an orphan race is usually obvious, if someone finds a block after most people on the network know about another block, they can keep mining off their own block and win if they are very lucky.
Of course they would have to not send out their late block, thus the network wouldn't know about it at all.
But if they are lucky enough to build on their own block before anyone find a block to build on the network block, and they send out both, they will actually win the previous orphan race and their 2 blocks will become the network blocks.

So yes, even I look at the 'known' blocks when my pool finds a block and am usually pretty sure after a few minutes, but it's still not certain.
Of course, if you are looking at blockchain and not in your bitcoind debug.log the losing block may be on the network and you just can't see it in blockchain.
That's rare but it can happen.

The normal thing that happens on an orphan race is that part of the network will be mining on one and another part of the network on the other.
It's then purely up to which part of the network finds the next block, that decides the orphan race (though it can in rare circumstances be longer than 1 block to decide it)
So it just depends on who has seen both blocks, to know that the orphan race is even happening - but normally everyone has seen both and chosen the one they saw first, to mine on.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
MrTeal
Legendary

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 09:51:24 PM

No, they weren't counting down at all because they weren't supposed to be counting down. The confirmations listed by Slush is basically the number of blocks built on top of the block in question. IE, for block 331733 (https://blockchain.info/block/00000000000000000d85f2d73089f2420d3f71d4a614139ace6bab56888adbc1?site=slush), Slush will consider that confirmed and pay out for it after the network all together finds another 100 blocks. After 331733, no blocks were found for 40 minutes, and that's why it stayed as 100 confirmations required, and none of the other blocks were counting down either.

Just a couple of points.

When I added that to the ckdb code I was surprised to see it is actually 101 not 100 (as I also thought it was 100)
But that's also due to the confusion that when a block is found it is considered 1 confirm, not 0 confirms.

Although an orphan race is usually obvious, if someone finds a block after most people on the network know about another block, they can keep mining off their own block and win if they are very lucky.
Of course they would have to not send out their late block, thus the network wouldn't know about it at all.
But if they are lucky enough to build on their own block before anyone find a block to build on the network block, and they send out both, they will actually win the previous orphan race and their 2 blocks will become the network blocks.

So yes, even I look at the 'known' blocks when my pool finds a block and am usually pretty sure after a few minutes, but it's still not certain.
Of course, if you are looking at blockchain and not in your bitcoind debug.log the losing block may be on the network and you just can't see it in blockchain.

The normal thing that happens on an orphan race is that part of the network will be mining on one and another part of the network on the other.
It's then purely up to which part of the network finds the next block, that decides the orphan race (though it can in rare circumstances be longer than 1 block to decide it)
So it just depends on who has seen both blocks, to know that the orphan race is even happening - but normally everyone has seen both and chosen the one they saw first, to mine on.
In the bolded part, are you saying that if you are the last one to find a block on the network and after you've submitted it a couple minutes goes by without another block (to your knowledge) you've still had that block orphaned?

Barring block withholding, my understanding of how that would happen is that prior to 01:00, the network is at height (say) 200. That's actual UTC, not timestamps. You find block 201 at 01:00, and broadcast it, but either due to poor connections or the miner's choice some miners continue to mine on block 200. A couple minutes later at 01:02, one of those miners finds block 201 and submits it, creating the orphan race. After that, those miners continue mining on their block 201, while those who had been mining on your block 201 either continue to do so or switch to the block 201 submitted at 01:02. Some time after that, someone builds a block on the later block 201 and you lose the race.

Is that how something like that would work? It seems to be unlikely unless you are very poorly connected or someone else is poorly connected and has a lot of hashing power, but I'd be interested if it could happen another way.
MrTeal
Legendary

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 10:11:58 PM

@kano, I don't have bitcoind logging debug, but I'd be interested to see what you have in there for block 330268.

According to blockchain, someone popped up and found 10 blocks in 14 hours including one at 330268 that blockchain saw at 2014-11-16 11:54:02 . At 12:13:11 GHash.IO found another block 330268, which KnC later confirmed at 12:27:43.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to how blockchain would have seen the block at 11:54 and GHash wouldn't have seen it several minutes later, or chose to not mine that block.

Edit: Nevermind. It just appears that the received time field at blockchain isn't actually the time they receive it, and they just set it equal to the timestamp.
kano
Legendary

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 10:19:12 PM

Just a couple of points.

In the bolded part, are you saying that if you are the last one to find a block on the network and after you've submitted it a couple minutes goes by without another block (to your knowledge) you've still had that block orphaned?

Barring block withholding, my understanding of how that would happen is that prior to 01:00, the network is at height (say) 200. That's actual UTC, not timestamps. You find block 201 at 01:00, and broadcast it, but either due to poor connections or the miner's choice some miners continue to mine on block 200. A couple minutes later at 01:02, one of those miners finds block 201 and submits it, creating the orphan race. After that, those miners continue mining on their block 201, while those who had been mining on your block 201 either continue to do so or switch to the block 201 submitted at 01:02. Some time after that, someone builds a block on the later block 201 and you lose the race.

Is that how something like that would work? It seems to be unlikely unless you are very poorly connected or someone else is poorly connected and has a lot of hashing power, but I'd be interested if it could happen another way.
Firstly, bitcoind will never 'switch' to a different block at the same level, it stays on the one it sees first.
bitcoind keeps track of the other forks so that when the "next level" block arrives, it will switch to whichever fork it was built on - or stay on it's current one if the new block builds on it's current one.
i.e. it all simply depends on the level change for each new block - another block at the same level will not cause a switch - since that would be making a late block win an orphan battle rather than the first one bitcoind sees.

My example of when you could unexpectedly lose is either due to a "losing" block withholding by someone else, or the software you are using to see the orphan race not always working properly and not always seeing the race - so yes it would be rare.
I only mention that second option because with bitcoind you'd have to pay close attention to the block messages in the debug.log file but I've also seen blockchain not show blocks correctly, so making an assumption on what blockchain says is certainly not advisable Smiley
Some pools have all sorts of edits and changes they make to the standard bitcoind (or use some other software) to do things the way they want, so you can never be quite sure about blocks until a few confirms have happened.
(In my pool's case we don't change anything but the block size, with the standard bitcoind options, to ~850k Tongue)

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
kano
Legendary

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 10:22:02 PM

@kano, I don't have bitcoind logging debug, but I'd be interested to see what you have in there for block 330268.

According to blockchain, someone popped up and found 10 blocks in 14 hours including one at 330268 that blockchain saw at 2014-11-16 11:54:02 . At 12:13:11 GHash.IO found another block 330268, which KnC later confirmed at 12:27:43.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to how blockchain would have seen the block at 11:54 and GHash wouldn't have seen it several minutes later, or chose to not mine that block.

Edit: Nevermind. It just appears that the received time field at blockchain isn't actually the time they receive it, and they just set it equal to the timestamp.
Yes, that's a real PITA that they show the block header timestamp.
It's next to meaningless and causes confusion.
Again, you'd need to look in the bitcoind debug.log to find out when you saw each block (and each orphan)

MrTeal
Legendary

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 10:27:39 PM

Yes, that's a real PITA that they show the block header timestamp.
It's next to meaningless and causes confusion.
Again, you'd need to look in the bitcoind debug.log to find out when you saw each block (and each orphan)
Especially since they have separate fields for received by and the block timestamp. Blocktrail shows the orphaned block 330268 being seen at 12:13:26, which is after the GHash.IO one that won the race.
dmwardjr
Legendary

Technical Analyst/Trader

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 11:02:51 PM

WOW!

Wondered how that worked out.  Thanks for the questions Mr Teal.  I sure as hell wouldn't know how or what to ask; and thanks for the explanation Kano!

Follow me on Trading View for excellent signals in Bitcoin/US dollar - Bitstamp - https://www.tradingview.com/u/WyckoffMode/.  You can follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/ModeWyckoff My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8IbhpQwrTD6BozJPWnyAHA  My Discord Invite Link: https://discord.com/invite/3EJYTytaTT  My Website is in LIVE BETA: https://wyckoffmode.com/
cris12821

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 01:10:20 AM
Last edit: November 27, 2014, 01:22:02 AM by cris12821

Lol  I will probably get some stupid response to this question..Just decided I should ask the people Who have bought many of them first.

Where would the cheapest place in Ontario/Canada to buy S3s or website.      Ino theres bitman. But is there cheaper and more reliable sources?Huh?

Thanks alot :d

Looking to finally start upgrading my hardware from S1s to S3s hopefully next week.

Give Respect , Get Respect
kkurtmann

Activity: 475
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2014, 01:34:05 AM

Lol  I will probably get some stupid response to this question..Just decided I should ask the people Who have bought many of them first.

Where would the cheapest place in Ontario/Canada to buy S3s or website.      Ino theres bitman. But is there cheaper and more reliable sources?Huh?

Looking to finally start upgrading my hardware from S1s to S3s hopefully next week.

I am in BC Canada and I would have to say bitmain would be the best bet for Canada shipment, I know there is duty fees, but probably the cheapest and definitely the most reliable.

https://www.buytrezor.com?a=55c37b866c11   well sir, I like it!
cris12821

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 01:48:13 AM

Where would the cheapest place in Ontario/Canada to buy S3s or website.      Ino theres bitman. But is there cheaper and more reliable sources?Huh?

I am in BC Canada and I would have to say bitmain would be the best bet for Canada shipment, I know there is duty fees, but probably the cheapest and definitely the most reliable.

Yea thats so far What I have kept coming back to.  Bitmain being the cheapest possibility.    Thats the only thing.  oyu bay like 1.2BTC to 2 S3s  so its a bomb diggity deal.  But than the import charges u pay.... thats when u getscrewed..  Not like i have money to pay for that.  

Bitcoins = my only source of income during Schoool : P: P: P: P

And im trying to work my way up to buying materials to build a shack in m backyard for a nice little/big mining farm.

Thanks Kurt

dmwardjr
Legendary

Technical Analyst/Trader

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 02:53:41 AM

Where would the cheapest place in Ontario/Canada to buy S3s or website.      Ino theres bitman. But is there cheaper and more reliable sources?Huh?

Yea thats so far What I have kept coming back to.  Bitmain being the cheapest possibility.    Thats the only thing.  oyu bay like 1.2BTC to 2 S3s  so its a bomb diggity deal.  But than the import charges u pay.... thats when u getscrewed..  Not like i have money to pay for that.  

Bitcoins = my only source of income during Schoool : P: P: P: P

And im trying to work my way up to buying materials to build a shack in m backyard for a nice little/big mining farm.

Thanks Kurt

Hmmmmmmmm

Me and you both

Grin Grin Grin

dmwardjr
Legendary

Technical Analyst/Trader

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 02:55:48 AM

If you are using bitcoin to purchase, bitmaintech.com is DEFINITELY the place to purchase; even with shipping costs.  Give me your user name at bitmaintech.com and I will send you a $50.00 coupon for 1 S3.  I'm sure someone else has a coupon for an S3 if you want another.  All I have is one coupon for S3.

cris12821

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 03:13:21 AM

If you are using bitcoin to purchase, bitmaintech.com is DEFINITELY the place to purchase; even with shipping costs.  Give me your user name at bitmaintech.com and I will send you a $50.00 coupon for 1 S3.  I'm sure someone else has a coupon for an S3 if you want another.  All I have is one coupon for S3.

Oh jeez.  Thanks man I really appreciate that more than anything.  I dont know if this is correct... But my username/user id.   is flamer962@gmail.com    according to the userid on bitmaintech website.

PS.  I just changed m username to bladedshard         userid is flamer962@gmail.com  userNAME is bladedshard.

It would be nice to get say 1-2 more coupons... I would like love you all and give u a big hug if you all helped me out.

I again,  Greatly appreciate it.  

jackbox
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1024

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 03:20:37 AM

Oh jeez.  Thanks man I really appreciate that more than anything.  I dont know if this is correct... But my username/user id.   is flamer962@gmail.com    according to the userid on bitmaintech website.

PS.  I just changed m username to bladedshard         userid is flamer962@gmail.com  userNAME is bladedshard.

It would be nice to get say 1-2 more coupons... I would like love you all and give u a big hug if you all helped me out.

You need one or two more coupons? I will send them to you. Reply with your Bitmaintech user id.

Buy a Trezor and Protect your BTC, BCH, BTG, DASH, LTC, DGB, ZEC, ETH and ETC from hackers.
If I was helpful please buy me a coffee BTC: 1DWK7vBaxcTC5Wd2nQwLGEoy8xdFVzGKLK  BTG: AWvN1iBqCUqG2tEh3XoVvRbdcGrAzfBBpW
If I was helpful please buy me a burger DGB: DLASV6CUQpGtGSyaVz5FYuu5YxZ17MoGQz
cris12821

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 03:24:00 AM

Quote from:
You need one or two more coupons? I will send them to you. Reply with your Bitmaintech user id.
[/quote

Lol well I NEED 8 . So its free almost haha.   But that'll never happen.  I'm happy with 1-5 coupons.

Thanks a lot.

Userid is flamer962@gmail.com
Username is bladedshard

You guys have no idea how much I appreciate this.  I'd kiss/hug u if I could lol(no homo)

jackbox
Legendary

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 03:30:02 AM

[/quote]

Lol well I NEED 8 . So its free almost haha.   But that'll never happen.  I'm happy with 1-5 coupons.

Thanks a lot.

Username is bladedshard

You guys have no idea how much I appreciate this.  I'd kiss/hug u if I could lol(no homo)
[/quote]

You can only use one coupon per S3 purchased. How many are you planning on buying. If you are buying only one then you can only use one coupon. Two units, two coupons, etc. You cannot add up coupons to get them free. :-(

Buy a Trezor and Protect your BTC, BCH, BTG, DASH, LTC, DGB, ZEC, ETH and ETC from hackers.
If I was helpful please buy me a coffee BTC: 1DWK7vBaxcTC5Wd2nQwLGEoy8xdFVzGKLK  BTG: AWvN1iBqCUqG2tEh3XoVvRbdcGrAzfBBpW
cris12821

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 03:32:38 AM
Last edit: November 27, 2014, 03:42:45 AM by cris12821

Thanks a lot.

Username is bladedshard

You can only use one coupon per S3 purchased. How many are you planning on buying. If you are buying only one then you can only use one coupon. Two units, two coupons, etc. You cannot add up coupons to get them free. :-(

Well its 2 s3s  per purchase it seems.  So for nowim ordering 1/2

And a month or 2 from now... Another set.

Now I just gotta wait for batch 6:P

jackbox
Legendary

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 04:15:57 AM

Coupons are only good until end of the month. How many do you need this purchase? Do you already have one and need one or more or do you already have two coupons?

Pages: « 1 ... 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 [1002] 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 ... 1154 »
  Print  

Jump to: