Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2018, 12:40:35 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.16.0  [Torrent]. (New!)

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 »
  Print  
Author Topic: DragonMint 16TH/S halongmining.com  (Read 46253 times)
kebabman

Activity: 655
Merit: 500

You wan chili saus?

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 09:17:38 PM

How to compare 16Th with Asicboost to a miner without Asicboost? Is 16Th with Asicboost equivalent to 16Th without Asicboost in terms of mining profit?

It's 16th with Asicboost, if you run it on a pool that doesn't support AsicBoost it performs much worse (1/4 speed I read). So basically forget about AsicBoost in comparing just know that this is a 16th miner that only works on pools that support AsicBoost vs the S9 which is a 13TH miner that works on any pool.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fanatic26

Activity: 686
Merit: 538

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 09:55:39 PM

It's 16th with Asicboost, if you run it on a pool that doesn't support AsicBoost it performs much worse (1/4 speed I read). So basically forget about AsicBoost in comparing just know that this is a 16th miner that only works on pools that support AsicBoost vs the S9 which is a 13TH miner that works on any pool.

If thats true, this miner is junk. If you arent free to run it on any pool you want, its useless. All the people worried about centralization should be freaking out about this since it limits the choices of where you can put your hash power.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
Searing
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1028

Tips for help? 1BzbfMHCrTeLjc7eCGrYVhH3QXSRodSuke

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 11:05:09 PM

How to compare 16Th with Asicboost to a miner without Asicboost? Is 16Th with Asicboost equivalent to 16Th without Asicboost in terms of mining profit?

Also pools that support ASIC boost are essentially Bitcoin Cash pools right? From what I understand ASIC boost does not work on Bitcoin Core Seq Witness...

▀
   ▄▄▄   ▄▀
   ███ ▄▄▄▄  ██
       ████
    ▄  ▀▀▀▀
▄▄
      ██    ▀▀
██▄█▄▄▄████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀███▀▀▀
██████████████████
████▄▀▄▀▄▀███▀▀▀▀▀
████▄▀▄▀▄▀███ ▀
████▄▀▄▀▄▀████████
▀█████████████████
]
,CoinPayments,
█████
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████
█████
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████
█████
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████
dimaze

Activity: 138
Merit: 31

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 11:07:43 PM

The overt Asicboost is advertised as 20%. What does that mean the miner is without ASICBoost? About 12.8TH.

That's a bit worse than a S9.

The current pricing of the Dragonmint 16T is still excessive compared to what is available from Bitmain. It's just not cost effective compared to an S9.

That's pretty awesome though what they did with the patent. That explains why the miner was pointed to slush Smiley

They're just not competitive at the latest 16T batches with pricing unfortunately. The early batches for 2k were relative steals though.

dimaze

Activity: 138
Merit: 31

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 11:11:09 PM

Also pools that support ASIC boost are essentially Bitcoin Cash pools right? From what I understand ASIC boost does not work on Bitcoin Core Seq Witness...

In a nutshell, there are two common approaches on AsicBoost. One is Covert, which Bitmain used, which is not compatible with Segwit.

The other is overt, which is Segwit compatible. The early Cointerra machines were advertised with AsicBoost with Timo Hanke working for them.

SkyLakeMine

Activity: 96
Merit: 11

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2018, 11:38:45 PM

So is it 16 TH/S only on an ASICBOOST pool? How does that number adjust for a non-ASICBOOST pool?
Yes, only with asicboost. The driver will not try to mine on pools that don't support it. It can work in a crippled manner with non-asicboost pools, but only produces 1/4 the hashrate.

The phrase "one trick pony" comes to mind.
But it is a good trick.
 Smiley

mining smarter @Where2Mine
SkyLakeMine

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2018, 11:52:21 PM

I am reading it the other way around. Correct me if I am wrong.

Overt asicboost needs pool support and those are ONLY BTC pools currently.

There would be NO ADVANTAGE to using these machines on a BCH pool. Effectively these machines will be used to mine BTC exclusively. As the designers of these halong machines intended.

For 90% of miners on this board that is not a problem. For other people it could be.

Its part of the deceptive business practices that we have seen.
The initial sales pitch should have come with a disclaimer:
"Works better at some pools than others."
"16TH but your mileage may vary"

rifleman74

Activity: 196
Merit: 20

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 11:55:26 PM

Essentially trying to milk more money out of this chip set instead of going to the 7m's...I guess it's better than nothing?
SkyLakeMine

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2018, 12:21:20 AM

Now let's see what Bitmain will come up with.

Speculating, but my crystal balls are hazy. Gotta find a fix for that.

1. Bitmain price drop. This seems to already be happening with flood of coupons
2. New BM machine with updated chips from samsung. sans asicboost? blows halong out of the water even without asicboost
3. New machine s9++ with covert asicboost for mining BTC at chinese pools or mine BCH, does not encroach upon overt BDPL patent?
4. flip a bit on all existing s9 in the field that suddenly enables asicboost that was there all along? no new machine required

My guess is Wu's lawyers are reviewing patent and options. It seems like a legal question as much as a tech question.

Seems certain that covert asicboost will have to come out to the open now.

Wu's hand is forced. And that might not be a bad thing.

wavelengthsf

Activity: 280
Merit: 107

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 12:51:31 AM

Wow, thats very disappointing that it'll mine at advertised hashrates on ASICBOOST pools. Talk about false advertising...
kebabman

Activity: 655
Merit: 500

You wan chili saus?

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 12:57:36 AM

No you got that wrong, it's only covert AsicBoost that doesn't work with SegWit. Which is the suspected reason Bitmain supported Bitcoin Cash.

I am reading it the other way around. Correct me if I am wrong.

Overt asicboost needs pool support and those are ONLY BTC pools currently.

There would be NO ADVANTAGE to using these machines on a BCH pool. Effectively these machines will be used to mine BTC exclusively. As the designers of these halong machines intended.

For 90% of miners on this board that is not a problem. For other people it could be.

Its part of the deceptive business practices that we have seen.
The initial sales pitch should have come with a disclaimer:
"Works better at some pools than others."
"16TH but your mileage may vary"

Well I see no reason why BCH pools couldnt also support overt AsicBoost. Hopefully it will become widely adopted by all pools, then there really is no need to worry about AsicBoost, it'll just be a 16TH miner.

Albortz

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Tax Attorney - Investor - Entrepreneur

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 01:05:24 AM

Ok so I am really lost.

When Bitmain used AsicBoost, everyone and their grandma was angry and upset and Evil Evil Bitmain was shouted...

Why are we celebrating AB now? I really dont get it lol

Makes no sense to me, to suddenly praise something we hated, just because its Not Bitmain for once :/
Bitmain had it hidden from the public and had the patent for it meaning no one else could use the technology giving them an unfair advantage. The halong group paid dearly for the patent to buy it and then opened it up with the blockchain defensive patent license - this license means anyone can use the asicboost technology provided they don't patent anything else in their hardware. Think about it - they paid for the license, only to open it up for everyone. No one has an unfair technology advantage now.

Well ok, so they are the nice guys here spending money for PR reasons that they are now seen as the good guys VS Bitmain being the devils using a patent they have on their own products which gives them an advantage...

Beside all the decentralised and power to the people, crypto movement BS, are you guys seriously believing Halong bought it because they wanted everyone to use it without heavy calculation for their own benefits?

Do you guys are this critical also on pharmaceutical patents or patents in general?  Of course, companies want to secure profits and benefits to cover R&D or make money in general.

Pharmaceutical Patents cost billions and Bayer and Co only have a couple years to earn the costs back. Sure, in this case, R&D is less expensive but still. I would have used AB in my miners as well if i was Bitmain

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
wavelengthsf

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 01:15:25 AM

Well I see no reason why BCH pools couldnt also support overt AsicBoost. Hopefully it will become widely adopted by all pools, then there really is no need to worry about AsicBoost, it'll just be a 16TH miner.

Yes, but why should pools change their protocol because one mining company says so? Why not make chips that hash at their advertised rates, and then ASICBOOT if your pool supports it to get up to higher rates?

Saying you're selling a SHA-256 miner that runs at 16 TH/s is a misdirection at best and an outright lie at worst if it'll only run at that speed on certain pools.
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1047

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2018, 01:39:48 AM

Yes, but why should pools change their protocol because one mining company says so? Why not make chips that hash at their advertised rates, and then ASICBOOT if your pool supports it to get up to higher rates?
Pools are designed to make money from miners. Do you think pools will refuse to implement it and shut out potential new customers?

Primary developer/maintainer for cgminer and ckpool/ckproxy.
ZERO FEE Pooled mining at ckpool.org 1% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
wavelengthsf

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 01:41:06 AM

Pools are designed to make money from miners. Do you think pools will refuse to implement it and shut out potential new customers?

Will CKPool support it day 1?
Sandal_Hat

Activity: 308
Merit: 111

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 01:50:10 AM

Saying you're selling a SHA-256 miner that runs at 16 TH/s is a misdirection at best and an outright lie at worst if it'll only run at that speed on certain pools.

I find this asicboost weird too since they have to modify the pool for it to show the 16th hashrate. I guess normal miners gotta check if they still get the same returns on slushpool once there are alot of dragonmints on it since it works 16th on asicboost pools and lesser on other pools. If the dragon miners do less work but are getting paid for more in those asicboost pools, then, all other miners on that pool should have less returns. Best to double check later on. U never know how it is with new tech.

Selling at 20% of coupon price aka 80% off.
Selling 2 bitmain 125 USD coupons, 18 bitmain 100 USD coupon, 1 bitmain 50 USD coupon

PM me
philipma1957
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1152

Avalon 841 rocks

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 02:37:49 AM

So I activated  my slush account waiting for demo unit.

Once I get it I will meter power used against hash .

My thoughts on forced  asic boost.  It would even playing field if every pool does it.

It would be transparent if every pool does it.

Will it work maybe.

If I do 16.2 th at 1400 -1500 watts on slush that works for me.

but I want to mine on -ck pool I do on and off.
I want to mine on bravo-mining I do on and off
I also like to mine on mmpool.org

I hope a few of them  switch to asicboost tec.

I am in favor of trying it out.

I mine alt coins with https://simplemining.net...
I see BTC as the super highway and alt coins as taxis and trucks needed to move transactions.
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1047

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2018, 02:47:44 AM

It's already deployed on both ckpools Smiley I'm mining with an experimental sample already on ckpool.org

Primary developer/maintainer for cgminer and ckpool/ckproxy.
ZERO FEE Pooled mining at ckpool.org 1% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
fr4nkthetank
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1001

cryptominingtalk.com

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2018, 03:23:19 AM

Seems to me that Bitmain is going to have to change their slogan for the S9:  "The worlds most efficient miner".

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion★  Anonymity Guaranteed
★  Anonymous and Untraceable
★  Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
Biffa
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 06:54:25 AM

It's already deployed on both ckpools Smiley I'm mining with an experimental sample already on ckpool.org

Do you have any real numbers of how it performs with Asicboost on or off on the pool?

Cheers

Mine at pools that pay transaction fees & don't mine empty blocks :: kanopool :: ckpool ::
If anyone wants a £100 bitmain coupon free please pm me.
Pages: « 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.