Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:15:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BAMT version 0.5 - Easy USB based mining Linux with farm wide management tools  (Read 324105 times)
lodcrappo (OP)

Activity: 616
Merit: 506

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 03:54:30 PM

I'm able to mine on 7 with no problems.  Not sure why an 8 GPU rig is silly, though.

But in either case, I'm moving to FPGAs anyway at some point, so I'm not losing too much sleep over it.

FPGA is the biggest reason I think worrying about 8 GPUs today is silly, and getting more silly.

The massive amount of headaches everyone who attempts those monster rigs seems to have is the other.

Beyond the "Mommy look what I did" factor, it seems difficult to justify the added expense, lack of flexibility,
 and added complexity/stability issues that come with monster rigs.

There may be some justification in extreme situations of limited space, but FPGA basically makes packing tons
of GPUs into a few boxes even more "doing it wrong" than it was (imho) before.  Just an opinion, based partially
on fact-ish truthiness.

Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Isokivi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2012, 05:09:28 PM
Last edit: April 29, 2012, 06:04:08 PM by Isokivi

I'm able to mine on 7 with no problems.  Not sure why an 8 GPU rig is silly, though.

But in either case, I'm moving to FPGAs anyway at some point, so I'm not losing too much sleep over it.

FPGA is the biggest reason I think worrying about 8 GPUs today is silly, and getting more silly.

The massive amount of headaches everyone who attempts those monster rigs seems to have is the other.

Beyond the "Mommy look what I did" factor, it seems difficult to justify the added expense, lack of flexibility,

There may be some justification in extreme situations of limited space, but FPGA basically makes packing tons
of GPUs into a few boxes even more "doing it wrong" than it was (imho) before.  Just an opinion, based partially
on fact-ish truthiness.

Thanks for the info, saves me a lot of time in trying.

Space is an issue for me, also electricity is not that cheap, so adding a gpu to the same mobo/cpu/ram always helps me squeeze a bit more Mhs/J.

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 05:54:27 PM

I'm able to mine on 7 with no problems.  Not sure why an 8 GPU rig is silly, though.

of GPUs into a few boxes even more "doing it wrong" than it was (imho) before.  Just an opinion, based partially
on fact-ish truthiness.

8 GPU rigs are more cost effective, take up less space, and have higher efficiency.  Something you fail to accept.

BAMT x64 works just fine (well it does require manually fixing it).  8 GPU are no more complex then 1-7 and simply require a x64 kernel, nothing more.

Still it is like beating a dead horse so will leave it at that.
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 06:53:18 PM

8 GPU rigs are more cost effective, take up less space, and have higher efficiency.  Something you fail to accept.

BAMT x64 works just fine (well it does require manually fixing it).  8 GPU are no more complex then 1-7 and simply require a x64 kernel, nothing more.

So lets all take a minute to thank lodcrappo for putting out such a wonderful piece of software that without, we would be spending many more hours setting up our rigs and less time sitting back watching them hash away.

IMHO, you should probably donate more and argue less if you want a 64 bit version of BAMT. He has already said he would do it if paid.
lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 06:55:12 PM

BAMT x64 works just fine (well it does require manually fixing it).  8 GPU are no more complex then 1-7 and simply require a x64 kernel, nothing more.

Funny, I could have sworn that it took myself and Little Duke several days of work to make that hacked up, outdated test version of bamt x64 that a few people are using.  (The same one, btw, that so many people had so many problems with that we decided not to go x64).

If only we had known that it simply required a 64 bit kernel..

lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 07:06:02 PM

So lets all take a minute to thank lodcrappo for putting out such a wonderful piece of software that without, we would be spending many more hours setting up our rigs and less time sitting back watching them hash away.

IMHO, you should probably donate more and argue less if you want a 64 bit version of BAMT. He has already said he would do it if paid.

Thanks as always..

Since you mentioned the 'I'll do it when you pay me to' offerings, reminded me I was going to update that..

We have 32btc and change donated since I committed to putting all future donations towards funding 79xx support.  I think there is another 30 btc committed.  So that puts us fairly close to having the bounty.  If 7970 prices come down or a few more donations come in, we should have it.  I don't pay very good attention so if there is a crazy deal on them somewhere and we have enough to get one, lemme know.

Joshwaa

Activity: 497
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 02:25:34 PM

This is a reference card still 459.99 and free shipping.

Like what I said : 1JosHWaA2GywdZo9pmGLNJ5XSt8j7nzNiF
Don't like what I said : 1FuckU1u89U9nBKQu4rCHz16uF4RhpSTV
gazorp

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 01:22:20 PM

Can anyone here tell me how to overclock past the 840mhz limit in ATIcontrolpanel overdrive?  I am using unlocked 6950's.  Also how do i get past the 775Mhz limit on my 5850s?

On my windows machine, i can use msi afterburner to go beyond 900mhz.  Im BAMT i am limited to the default 840Mhz in the overdrive control.  I did try making the setting higher in the bamt.conf file, but this seemed to have no real effect on the clocks after restarting the session.

Also, is there a way to make new ATIOvedriveCtrl shortcut links and then have them autolaunch and load profiles upon bootup?  Something similar to making shortcuts on windows and purring them in startup?  Maybe there is a script to use?

I also noticed in my quad card rig, i do not get the pretty graphs on the desktop.  any advise to enable that?

Any tips or help is greatly appreciated to help me squeeze out that last bit of MH/s!
mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2012, 04:37:44 PM

Can anyone here tell me how to overclock past the 840mhz limit in ATIcontrolpanel overdrive?  I am using unlocked 6950's.  Also how do i get past the 775Mhz limit on my 5850s?

On my windows machine, i can use msi afterburner to go beyond 900mhz.  Im BAMT i am limited to the default 840Mhz in the overdrive control.  I did try making the setting higher in the bamt.conf file, but this seemed to have no real effect on the clocks after restarting the session.

Also, is there a way to make new ATIOvedriveCtrl shortcut links and then have them autolaunch and load profiles upon bootup?  Something similar to making shortcuts on windows and purring them in startup?  Maybe there is a script to use?

I also noticed in my quad card rig, i do not get the pretty graphs on the desktop.  any advise to enable that?

Any tips or help is greatly appreciated to help me squeeze out that last bit of MH/s!
Have you tried flashing your USB again with a fresh BAMT .5c and doing the config again?  I find sometimes if an error occurs the clocks will stay stock even if you OC the config and reboot, and only making a fresh install makes it work again.
gazorp

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 04:48:41 PM

Have you tried flashing your USB again with a fresh BAMT .5c and doing the config again?  I find sometimes if an error occurs the clocks will stay stock even if you OC the config and reboot, and only making a fresh install makes it work again.

Yes, i am new to BAMT and just started with 0.5c.  I took some efforts to get everything booted and mining stable.   Now i just want to streamline and squeeze out a bit more performance.

I know my card have plenty of cooling headroom and MHz left... Smiley
TheHarbinger

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Why is it so damn hot in here?

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 04:53:37 PM

I'm not sure why you are using the ATI panel to overclock when the overclocking and voltage settings are built into both the miners that come with BAMT.  Either miner will let you change the clocks and voltage to you hearts content, you have no reason to use anything from ATI/AMD to do it.

12Um6jfDE7q6crm1s6tSksMvda8s1hZ3Vj
lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 04:59:54 PM

don't use the ati control panel.

1 - Edit bamt.conf to have the settings you want. 
2 - Restart mining.
3 - There is no step 3

That is all.

craked5

Activity: 840
Merit: 529

View Profile
May 03, 2012, 12:12:01 AM
Last edit: May 03, 2012, 06:22:08 PM by craked5

Hey guys! im sorry if this as been discussed earlier but i seem to get a red screen when i try to mine and it says "A fault as been found in gpu x".
Can someone please help?
I will donate for a good answer! Thanks
gazorp

View Profile
May 03, 2012, 02:17:44 AM

2 - Restart mining.
3 - There is no step 3

That is all.

I am using the default Phoenix2 config.  None of the settings in bamt.conf seem to take effect i.e. i get default clocks.  I am guesing i should try cgminer?

Thanks for the help.

PS  i sent a pm about pro tools Smiley

abracadabra

Activity: 956
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 03, 2012, 02:34:09 PM

as I mentioned in the other bamt thread, please post your bamt.conf
TheHarbinger

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Why is it so damn hot in here?

View Profile
May 03, 2012, 09:04:43 PM

Using the default config, nothing is configured or enabled.  You have to set it up.   Roll Eyes

12Um6jfDE7q6crm1s6tSksMvda8s1hZ3Vj
lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
May 03, 2012, 09:12:41 PM

2 - Restart mining.
3 - There is no step 3

That is all.

I am using the default Phoenix2 config.  None of the settings in bamt.conf seem to take effect i.e. i get default clocks.  I am guesing i should try cgminer?

Thanks for the help.

PS  i sent a pm about pro tools Smiley

If the settings in bamt.conf do not take effect, either:

1 - You have specified them incorrectly
2 - or, They aren't valid settings that Linux can apply
3 - or, You aren't measuring whether they take effect correctly.

as requested by others, post or pastebin your bamt.conf if you would like further support.
Brunic

Activity: 632
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 03, 2012, 10:46:59 PM

Playing around with BAMT, I found a strange bug.

When I have a monitor plugged in, and I'm fooling around in BAMT, if I unplug the monitor, it makes BAMT crash. Here's what munin shows when I connect to the rig:

__.....__ .' ':, / __ _ __ \\ | |_)) || |_))|| | | \\ || | || | || _, | status.pl ||.-(_{} | |/ ` | ,_ (;|/) \\| {}_)-,||` \\;/,,;;;;;;;,\\|//, .;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;, ,;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,// \\;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,// ,';;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;' One of the BAMT tools has suffered a fatal error. Can't use an undefined value as a HASH reference at /usr/lib/cgi-bin/status.pl line 88. Defiled: Unable to record this travesty in the deathlog! Why?: Permission denied

If I never plug a monitor in BAMT and I boot the rig, everything's fine. It only occurs when BAMT is started and I plug and unplug the monitor. If I want to plug back the monitor to check what happens in BAMT, it start working again without problems.

I use the 0.5c version of BAMT.
wknight
Legendary

Activity: 889

Bitcoin calls me an Orphan

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2012, 10:54:54 PM

We have 32btc and change donated since I committed to putting all future donations towards funding 79xx support.  I think there is another 30 btc committed.  So that puts us fairly close to having the bounty.  If 7970 prices come down or a few more donations come in, we should have it.  I don't pay very good attention so if there is a crazy deal on them somewhere and we have enough to get one, lemme know.

Umm just FYI.. i donated for the second time because its good software.. not for any other reasons what you use it for is totally up to you bro Smiley

Mining Both Bitcoin and Litecoin.
ModusPwnd

Activity: 546
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 03, 2012, 11:06:24 PM

Playing around with BAMT, I found a strange bug.

When I have a monitor plugged in, and I'm fooling around in BAMT, if I unplug the monitor, it makes BAMT crash. Here's what munin shows when I connect to the rig:

__.....__ .' ':, / __ _ __ \\ | |_)) || |_))|| | | \\ || | || | || _, | status.pl ||.-(_{} | |/ ` | ,_ (;|/) \\| {}_)-,||` \\;/,,;;;;;;;,\\|//, .;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;, ,;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,// \\;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,// ,';;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;' One of the BAMT tools has suffered a fatal error. Can't use an undefined value as a HASH reference at /usr/lib/cgi-bin/status.pl line 88. Defiled: Unable to record this travesty in the deathlog! Why?: Permission denied

If I never plug a monitor in BAMT and I boot the rig, everything's fine. It only occurs when BAMT is started and I plug and unplug the monitor. If I want to plug back the monitor to check what happens in BAMT, it start working again without problems.

I use the 0.5c version of BAMT.

This confused the hell out of me for a while until I managed to figure it out as you have. 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 »
  Print  

Jump to: