Bitcoin Forum
December 04, 2016, 01:59:22 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.13.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 [1304] 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 ... 1560 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 1803901 times)
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1610

V.V.V.V.V.

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 09:43:19 AM

The season you are born (climate in general) has MUCH to do with who you are (and not the stars).
Epigenome.

There are studies, bored to dig them up now, but it is very straightforward for people with evolutionary biology, epigenetics etc background.

Dude, our climate is from the Sun (a star)  Huh

If your choice of nickname is apt, then you should easily realize that.

I don't think he excluded that entirely. My assumption is he was arguing a direct correlation so as to give his argument maximum veracity here.

I look at language maybe like a programmer would their code, and using the operator "and not the stars" would, to me, exclude all stars from that set.

It is well known in computer science that syntax doesn't capture semantics. The semantics here is highly layered, so it is difficult to concisely express intent in syntax, because he is also dealing with politics and audience comprehension/belief.

What's poetry? What's musick?

A living, dynamic and reinterpretable interaction with the audience?

What a strange loop...

...مكتوب
Escape the plutocrats’ zanpakutō, Flower in the Mirror, Moon on the Water: brave “the ascent which is rough and steep” (Plato).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 868

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 11:44:53 AM

MPEX may have invented the GavinCoin Short, but it will be far from the only exchange using it to nuke the Gavinstas' trollfork from space.

The same WMD can be used against Core too. This could be mutual annihilation (reverse wealth effect, which is levered) as you have mentioned. Or one fork could gain momentum and avalanche effect.

Again I would sell BTC for XMR or dollars immediately. I own no XMR and I keep a small amount of BTC because I can't spend XMR easily (or at least hasn't been worth it for me to figure out how).

I do intend to hold most of my wealth in crypto-coin in the near future. XMR will part of my holdings. BTC probably not.

FYI, you can pay any Bitcoin address with XMR using xmr.to (https://xmr.to/). That should make spending a lot easier for you.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 01:41:43 PM

I'd forgotten how clean and spacious the pages look after having ignored troll TPTB_NEED_WAR. now maybe I can get some real work done without listening to all his bullshit. Ignore works!
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 1498

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2015, 03:07:57 PM

The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy.  David Chaum 1996
Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect.  Adam Back 2014
"Monero" : { Private - Auditable - 100% Fungible - Flexible Blocksize - Wild & Free® - Intro - Wallets - Podcats - Roadmap - Dice - Blackjack - Github - Android }

Bitcoin is intentionally designed to be ungovernable and governance-free.  luke-jr 2016
Blocks must necessarily be full for the Bitcoin network to be able to pay for its own security.  davout 2015
Blocksize is an intentionally limited resource, like the 21e6 BTC limit.  Changing it degrades the surrounding economics, creating negative incentives.  Jeff Garzik 2013

"I believed @Dashpay instamine was a bug & not a feature but then read: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg13017231#msg13017231
I'm not against people making money, but can't support questionable origins."
https://twitter.com/Tone_LLT/status/717822927908024320

The raison d'être of bitcoin is trustlessness. - Eric Lombrozo 2015
It is an Engineering Requirement that Bitcoin be “Above the Law”  Paul Sztorc 2015
Resiliency, not efficiency, is the paramount goal of decentralized, non-state sanctioned currency -Jon Matonis 2015

Bitcoin is intentionally designed to be ungovernable and governance-free.  luke-jr 2016

Technology tends to move in the direction of making surveillance easier, and the ability of computers to track us doubles every eighteen months. - Phil Zimmerman 2013

The only way to make software secure, reliable, and fast is to make it small. Fight Features. - Andy Tanenbaum 2004

"Hard forks cannot be co
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 03:39:14 PM

what's striking to me using the ignore is just how many pages and pages of posts TPTB-dick has been spamming to derail substantive and meaningful discussion.  there is no doubt he has an alternative motive which is anti-Bitcoin.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 03:41:50 PM

on sockpuppets:

https://np.reddit.com/r/netsec/comments/38wl43/we_used_sock_puppets_in_rnetsec_last_year_and_are
vokain
Legendary

V.V.V.V.V.

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 03:42:13 PM

what's striking to me using the ignore is just how many pages and pages of posts TPTB-dick has been spamming to derail substantive and meaningful discussion.  there is no doubt he has an alternative motive which is anti-Bitcoin.

I guess you can have Any Colour You Like.

The motive has always been decentralization.

...مكتوب
Escape the plutocrats’ zanpakutō, Flower in the Mirror, Moon on the Water: brave “the ascent which is rough and steep” (Plato).
chriswilmer
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2015, 03:43:48 PM

I don't share other people's commitment to unmoderated, uncensored discussions... they have their place, but allowing every thread to let in trolls as a principle of free speech is like letting strangers into your house (instead of invited guests) based on the right to free assembly.

Which is a long way of saying... cypherdoc, you should start a "Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP. [moderated]" thread. All of the intelligent people will migrate over, and then you can just kick out the trolls.
vokain
Legendary

V.V.V.V.V.

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 03:45:55 PM

what's striking to me using the ignore is just how many pages and pages of posts TPTB-dick has been spamming to derail substantive and meaningful discussion.  there is no doubt he has an alternative motive which is anti-Bitcoin.

I don't share other people's commitment to unmoderated, uncensored discussions... they have their place, but allowing every thread to let in trolls as a principle of free speech is like letting strangers into your house (instead of invited guests) based on the right to free assembly.

Which is a long way of saying... cypherdoc, you should start a "Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP. [moderated]" thread. All of the intelligent people will migrate over, and then you can just kick out the trolls.

Haha no chance, such an action would be akin to throwing in the towel. After all this history?

...مكتوب
chriswilmer
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2015, 03:51:55 PM

what's striking to me using the ignore is just how many pages and pages of posts TPTB-dick has been spamming to derail substantive and meaningful discussion.  there is no doubt he has an alternative motive which is anti-Bitcoin.

Haha no chance, such an action would be akin to throwing in the towel. After all this history?

The history isn't going anywhere... it's not like we would be deleting a thread. In fact, I would start the new thread with the first post including a link to the old thread. *shrugs*

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 03:54:34 PM

interesting quote from the Chinese mine:

"Their verdict was: "Absolutely nothing to see. The local Tibetans make sure everything is overpriced.""

point being, all the devs who look down on the masses as stupid & irrational as justification for authoritarian practices regarding decisions in Bitcoin are severely underestimating the power of money to motivate ppl to understand the economics of value transaction.  i see this everywhere in the Bitcoin community and it's an attitude that will cost those who employ that attitude in many ways more than just in their pocketbooks.

http://www.coindesk.com/my-life-inside-a-remote-chinese-bitcoin-mine/
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 04:01:04 PM

the great thing about TPTB spamming this thread is he brings attention to our message.  there will always be ppl who listen and get roped in by his distractions but for those of us who want to go back to the days when we were able to engage in productive, informative, and theoretical discussion of Bitcoin, i would recommend you just ignore him.  it'll make your days much better as i am realizing.  wasting one's weekend beating down a troll isn't productive.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 04:21:53 PM

like i said, trouble in the traditional mkts.  i should've moved the right red arrow downwards but why bother?  the $DJI is dropping:

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 04:24:58 PM

the world's largest mine. here's growth for you:

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 04:28:19 PM

where is TPTB-dickhead anyways?  it's been 8h since his last post.  that must be a record.  we'll see if Ignore really works.

btw, i WANT him to spam this thread.  that way it'll drive up more views and keep pushing it to the top of the Spec Forum so as to attract new readers and existing users to read what the rest of us have to say.

c'mon laggard TPTB-pinhead.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 04:34:45 PM

here come the hackers:

http://www.coindesk.com/bny-mellon-wall-street-rewards-bitcoin/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+CoinDesk+%28CoinDesk+-+The+Voice+of+Digital+Currency%29

only then will they understand what truly powers a blockchain.
thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 04:37:08 PM

"Their verdict was: "Absolutely nothing to see. The local Tibetans make sure everything is overpriced.""

point being, all the devs who look down on the masses as stupid & irrational as justification for authoritarian practices regarding decisions in Bitcoin are severely underestimating the power of money to motivate ppl to understand the economics of value transaction.  i see this everywhere in the Bitcoin community and it's an attitude that will cost those who employ that attitude in many ways more than just in their pocketbooks.

What I found most interesting about that article is that the energy could not find a market until the miner showed up.  A long time ago I mentioned that bitcoin mining might allow energy providers to over-provision variable energy sources (wind, solar and to a lesser extent hydro).  This would be a good thing for the world, because it means a lower fossil component during marginal production days (cloudy or not that windy).  

It looks like that's exactly what is happening here -- but coincidentally rather than in a planned manner.  

RE: TPTB, I tend to ignore people who consistently reply multiple times in a row during a conversation.  Because there is a pathology there... they are writing more for themselves than for others.  The exception to this rule of course is the guy who is stimulating conversation in a thread by citing interesting new news, etc.  Cypherdoc in this thread and adam in the classic wall observer for example.

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 04:45:44 PM

point being, all the devs who look down on the masses as stupid & irrational as justification for authoritarian practices regarding decisions in Bitcoin are severely underestimating the power of money to motivate ppl to understand the economics of value transaction.  i see this everywhere in the Bitcoin community and it's an attitude that will cost those who employ that attitude in many ways more than just in their pocketbooks.

What I found most interesting about that article is that the energy could not find a market until the miner showed up.  A long time ago I mentioned that bitcoin mining might allow energy providers to over-provision variable energy sources (wind, solar and to a lesser extent hydro).  This would be a good thing for the world, because it means a lower fossil component during marginal production days (cloudy or not that windy).  

It looks like that's exactly what is happening here -- but coincidentally rather than in a planned manner.  

RE: TPTB, I tend to ignore people who consistently reply multiple times in a row during a conversation.  Because there is a pathology there... they are writing more for themselves than for others.  The exception to this rule of course is the guy who is stimulating conversation in a thread by citing interesting new news, etc.  Cypherdoc in this thread and adam in the classic wall observer for example.

that is a good pt.  but look at it from the other side as well; that being the costs of gold mining.

not only is it a shame the little African kid has to climb down a 100yd hole but it is more shameful that we have huge strip mining operations not only in Africa but all over the world here in the US, Canada, Australia, and China, etc.  one of the worthy goals Bitcoin should strive to achieve is to eliminate that waste and corruption.  imagine getting all those ppl and their fiat involved in those operations to switch to Bitcoin or Bitcoin mining.  remember the gold mine sold in Canada for Bitcoin?  well, i met a lady in March while in Hawaii who owns a gold mine up in Alaska and we got to talking about Bitcoin.  she had already heard about it and of course i talked at length multiple times during the trip about Bitcoin replacing gold.  she's a smart girl and the wheels were turning in her mind.  i then helped her set up a VPN on her iphone as well as download Breadwallet to which i sent her some coin.  i'm meaning to follow up with her sometime later this year to see if she moved on it but i bet she will.  these types of stories are happening all over the world right now and i claim it is being reflected in the gold and silver price.

we can only accomplish this by letting Bitcoin grow.
thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 04:47:30 PM

A lot of large companies, especially those that operate semi-autonomous business units use internal accounting to handle transactions between these units.  So a project manager might have a budget of 1M and he purchases marketing services from the mkting dept, engineering from the dev group, etc.  But obviously money is not actually moved around...

You can see how a private intra-company blockchain could be very useful here, for auditing and real-time tracking purposes.  For external services, you would even "pay" CoCoins to the financial dept. and they would cut and mail a check externally.

This BNY effort is probably the first step towards a consulting business setting this up for companies.

EDIT: yes you have a great point about gold.  And hopefully the same will happen with diamonds (grown in a lab).  Sometimes I think that the best way to handle some of these areas with horrible human rights records is to leave them alone.  But, as we learned with conflict diamonds, realistically and unfortunately that only works if they don't have anything the first world wants.
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1330

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 05:03:01 PM

I guess you can have Any Colour You Like.

The motive has always been decentralization.
The debate is: is centralization of development the path to decentralization of nodes?

You just need 1 ring to rule them all.

lukejr who has abused this power in the past is part of a small block of Core developers, who argues the majority of developers think that 1 ring to rule them all central development is good.

There are other developers who are invested in technologies that will benefit from a delay in block size increase.

They also argue that we need decentralized nodes but they should use the centralized consensus of their development group

And developers outside that group aren't lead developers. (Paraphrasing nullc)

This approach is centralized control of nodes, it's not the decentralized goal I'm invested in.

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
Pages: « 1 ... 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 [1304] 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 ... 1560 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.