Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:32:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 [1311] 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 1361 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032138 times)
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2015, 08:42:42 PM

In the great Bitcoin experiment of ours...
It is increasingly likely that we will experience a scarcity market for transactions, at least for a time.
It will be some interesting data.
I doubt it will be the 'end of bitcoin', or whatever the rush to increase folks are worrying over.

Full node volume has declined from a high point of about 250K in 2011 to maybe less than 10K nodes?
With the only incentives for running a full node being non-economic, primarily informational or possibly security concerns, it will be interesting to see if that rate of decline stabilizes somewhere.

250K was not due to economic incentives. There was no choice back then.

I know, but it was still worth it.
Its a downward trend for years.  Whether/when it levels or begins increasing, and under what conditions will prove interesting.  Don't you think?

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 08:46:38 PM

It is increasingly likely that we will experience a scarcity market for transactions, at least for a time.
I doubt it will be the 'end of bitcoin', or whatever the rush to increase folks are worrying over.

Full node volume has declined from a high point of about 250K in 2011 to maybe less than 10K nodes?
With the only incentives for running a full node being non-economic, primarily informational or possibly security concerns, it will be interesting to see if that rate of decline stabilizes somewhere.

Its a downward trend for years.  Whether/when it levels or begins increasing, and under what conditions will prove interesting.  Don't you think?

did you listen to the Mike Hearn interview on Epicenter Bitcoin?  he says the measuring methods used back then were poor and primitive and likely overestimated the #full nodes probably well under 100K.  today its better and we're at around 6086.

it's also downtrended mainly b/c of the proliferation of spv clients, imo.
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 08:50:01 PM

why don't you try debating the technical feasibilities instead of slinging arrows?

Because your sidestream FUD has already been repeatedly debunked.

If you didn't understand then, you won't understand now.

No amount of facts and logic are capable of disabusing you of your paranoid fear of and animosity towards Blockstream.

We get it.  You don't like Blockstream.  If they're for something, you're against it.

Sidechains are here now.  As for GavinCoin, "not tonight dear."   Cheesy

Monero is bouncing right back up.  Even if it wasn't, you still be guilty of making the same invalid, cherrypicked "zomg BTC crashed from ATH wat a worthless failure AMIRIT" argument as Buttcoiners.  As others have said, you of all people know better.

i haven't seen is there an FAQ or something that i can read that will convince me I'm wrong, no one has addressed my concerns people like nullc retort and call my concerns personal attacks wrought with deformation, I've asked for a peer reviewed economic study on the impact of the proposed SPV proof protocol change, and been met with "that will never happen".

I think you are living in a circle jerk bubble.

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2015, 08:50:50 PM

i would like to propose a compromise.

let the Blockstream folks insert their SPV proof into source while simultaneously eliminating the block size limit. then we can see which Ferrari will go faster.

the network effect of sound money vs that of SC's (speculation). it would be a fantastic test of the market.

No deal.  Sidechains are, as nullc and pwuille already patiently explained to you last night, "completely orthogonal to the blocksize debate."

Did you sleep well after getting spanked and pouting until downvoted?   Grin

One interesting quote there:
"The blocksize debate if anything substantially slowed the release, absorbing mindbogglingly enormous amounts of time, and also having avoid including some scaling tools to avoid people getting confused that sidechains themselves were a scaling answer."

In the process of trying to show how they are not a conflict of interest, he uses a conflict of interest (time devoted).
The thing is, he is right sidechains are only a factor in scaling, but they aren't the answer.  They do provide for some scaling, but not at all a full solution.

They waste a lot of time trying to claim that there isn't a conflict of interest.  The better method is to simply acknowledge it and move on.  People are fairly accepting of the risk for now, but their efforts to fight it and claim it doesn't exist both make them look foolish and waste their time.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
kazuki49

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 08:51:07 PM

Quote from: TPTB_need_war link=topic=68655.msg11571098#msg11571098

When the mining refuses transactions without KYC, then you will not be anonymous in Bitcoin. I have already explained how this will come about over time.

You are digging your expropriation grave with Bitcoin.

Anonymous cash has been the preferred form of money for the last centuries. It is only with the advent of Bitcoin in the last ~7 years that has opened the possibility of a traceable digital token for some delusional "one-world-one-block-chain" bitcoiners think its a silver bullet for every problem in the world, mainly against the system and its power-grabbing freaks they say to fight against.

http://www.wired.com/2015/06/tech-behind-bitcoin-stop-next-snowden/

Some of us see the threat. But how many of us are there? Enough to make an altcoin fly?

I think so, especially by drawing in the Silk Road market using an out-of-band application. What say you?

I say you have spoken like a true agent, Silk Road is dark web stuff.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2015, 08:53:13 PM

did you listen to the Mike Hearn interview on Epicenter Bitcoin?  he says the measuring methods used back then were poor and primitive and likely overestimated the #full nodes probably well under 100K.  today its better and we're at around 6086.

it's also downtrended mainly b/c of the proliferation of spv clients, imo.

I agree with the reasons, (lack of/creation of other options, and yes cost).  I am running fewer full nodes myself now than even two years ago.

NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2015, 08:54:28 PM

I say you have spoken like a true agent, Silk Road is dark web stuff.

I like the term "cypher-space" over dark web.  Just saying.

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 08:57:16 PM

I listened to it.  It was a near continuous stream of desperate lies and deceit.  It was so pathetic it almost made me sad for him as he has made some significant contributions over the years.  He's lost and he knows it.

What's really funny is that the guy even realizes he might need to kludge around a POW minority problem.  <chuckle>  Maybe he can leverage some of the federated work that Blockstream has graciously open-sourced.  Or talk with justusranvier about getting their oracle thingy put in place for XT.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Adrian-x
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 09:03:39 PM

I feel incentivized to run a full node for economic reasons, the economic reason is to preserve my savings, while I may be ensuring that part of Bitcoin’s market cap of 3.2 billion dollars is in sync with some 6000 nodes. That’s a half million dollars of responsibility I'm giving the network at my own expense, - that's a win win - i don't see it an a non economic motive. 

Adrian-x
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 09:11:10 PM

let the Blockstream folks insert their SPV proof into source while simultaneously eliminating the block size limit. then we can see which Ferrari will go faster.

the network effect of sound money vs that of SC's (speculation). it would be a fantastic test of the market.

No deal.  Sidechains are, as nullc and pwuille already patiently explained to you last night, "completely orthogonal to the blocksize debate."

"The blocksize debate if anything substantially slowed the release, absorbing mindbogglingly enormous amounts of time, and also having avoid including some scaling tools to avoid people getting confused that sidechains themselves were a scaling answer."

In the process of trying to show how they are not a conflict of interest, he uses a conflict of interest (time devoted).
The thing is, he is right sidechains are only a factor in scaling, but they aren't the answer.  They do provide for some scaling, but not at all a full solution.

They waste a lot of time trying to claim that there isn't a conflict of interest.  The better method is to simply acknowledge it and move on.  People are fairly accepting of the risk for now, but their efforts to fight it and claim it doesn't exist both make them look foolish and waste their time.

I don't think they see it the way you do, pointing it out like you did brought it to my attention, although i read those same words, all i thought of was nullc writing pages and pages trying to prove his motives are consistent with a time when blockstream hadn't registered. he failed to address the fact he conserved of the idea back then too.  

he has in my view admired to tampering with evidence to prove allegations of a conflict of interest wrong.

Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 09:13:59 PM

here is the entire talk.  everyone should read it.  it's good.

http://diyhpl.us/wiki/transcripts/gmaxwell-sidechains-elements/

but it's also complex and calls for lots of changes.  mostly on the SC's themselves, so that's good.  of course i don't understand it all, nor claim to.  but how many really do, including gmax himself?  it's time to put the thinking caps on and analyze.

Yes, a little more complex then increase number to 20M :-).
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 09:23:32 PM

i'll be damned.  i was gonna just post exactly this based on that quote that popped into my head.

which goes back to a previous concern of how nullc spends inordinate amounts of time politicking on forums.  amazing actually.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 09:27:16 PM

here is the entire talk.  everyone should read it.  it's good.

but it's also complex and calls for lots of changes.  mostly on the SC's themselves, so that's good.  of course i don't understand it all, nor claim to.  but how many really do, including gmax himself?  it's time to put the thinking caps on and analyze.

but that's a very good thing.  what's Gavin's proposal code change require?  changing a setting?

whereas SC's requires encrypting everything, changing the signature scheme, enabling over a dozen unpredictable OP_CODES, depending on the altruism of merge mining, risking pass thru scBTC on a less secure SC, draining value and fees away from MC, seriously changing the emphasis from sound money to speculation.

did i miss any?
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 09:34:49 PM

I listened to it.  It was a near continuous stream of desperate lies and deceit.  It was so pathetic it almost made me sad for him as he has made some significant contributions over the years.  He's lost and he knows it.

What's really funny is that the guy even realizes he might need to kludge around a POW minority problem.  <chuckle>  Maybe he can leverage some of the federated work that Blockstream has graciously open-sourced.  Or talk with justusranvier about getting their oracle thingy put in place for XT.

wow, the older i get, the more amazed i am at just how different we all are.  i guess that's what makes a community.
Odalv
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 09:38:51 PM

here is the entire talk.  everyone should read it.  it's good.

but it's also complex and calls for lots of changes.  mostly on the SC's themselves, so that's good.  of course i don't understand it all, nor claim to.  but how many really do, including gmax himself?  it's time to put the thinking caps on and analyze.

but that's a very good thing.  what's Gavin's proposal code change require?  changing a setting?

whereas SC's requires encrypting everything, changing the signature scheme, enabling over a dozen unpredictable OP_CODES, depending on the altruism of merge mining, risking pass thru scBTC on a less secure SC, draining value and fees away from MC, seriously changing the emphasis from sound money to speculation.

did i miss any?

Gavin: We can ADD another horse harness to a wagon.
Greg: Let's build a truck.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 09:48:48 PM

I don't think they see it the way you do, pointing it out like you did brought it to my attention, although i read those same words, all i thought of was nullc writing pages and pages trying to prove his motives are consistent with a time when blockstream hadn't registered. he failed to address the fact he conserved of the idea back then too.  

he has in my view admired to tampering with evidence to prove allegations of a conflict of interest wrong.

that's a little strong even for me.  but i get your point and i'll probably be guilty of saying the same thing somewhere along the line here.  there is such a thing as trying too hard though and he seems to not get that.

i actually think the community is made up mostly of sound money advocates like most of us here.  i say this based on all the coins that have been dormant and reflected in the days destroyed stats.  i also think the desperation of the masses is to seek SOV and not speculation.  i've gone thru the stats before on this and we all know that the forex mkts are where the real money is at.  that will be the source of Bitcoin's future value as problems in fiat currency continue to build.  even if SC's get enabled somewhere along the line here as spvp, i doubt they'll be used much.  certainly used by the geeks and other speculators.  but there will be consequences for those ppl which will result in losses from decreased security. like i keep saying, lots of ppl need to keep losing money on our way to the top.

so in the end, i doubt it matters much if they get implemented.  i don't need to fight it.  i'll just keep pointing out my thoughts on the matter.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 09:53:11 PM

the other thing here that i think rocks pointed out.

gmax et al are very highly visible and identified.  will TPTB let them implement all this privacy tech?  i don't know. 

we do know satoshi left b/c he didn't want to get carted away.
Odalv
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 09:59:36 PM

gmax et al are very highly visible and identified.  will TPTB let them implement all this privacy tech?  i don't know. 

Blockstream published ideas. It is hard to invent, but once things are invented and described then it is easy to implement.
Odalv
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 10:06:39 PM

gmax et al are very highly visible and identified.  will TPTB let them implement all this privacy tech?  i don't know.  

Now we know
 a) how to build simple elements (lego parts).
 b) what elements do we need.

And we know how to build a wall from a brick (lego parts)

Edit:

Now we can build house, and we know that house will stay here for 100 years, we only need to replace door (federated peg) with "better door" (SPV proof) 
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 10:19:11 PM

gmax et al are very highly visible and identified.  will TPTB let them implement all this privacy tech?  i don't know.  

Now we know
 a) how to build simple elements (lego parts).
 b) what elements do we need.

And we know how to build a wall from a brick (lego parts)

Edit:

Now we can build house, and we know that house will stay here for 100 years, we only need to replace door (federated peg) with "better door" (SPV proof)  

no, i get that.  that's your view as a dev, ie, the one's who are really grabbing on to this idea.

but as even staunch supporters as tvbcof have said, he will only bounce in and out of a SC with small amts to prevent from getting trapped by what is a relatively high friction 2wp that we know takes at least 2d or 144 blocks to clear on the SC.  i need to read more about this "hybrid" traverse back and forth Corrallo was talking about.  what was interesting about the nullc talk is how each "element" had an different author.  it will be interesting to see how all the elements fit together and interact in what is clearly going to be a highly complex system that's completely encrypted, which slows things down even more.  

my schtick is that this is more about a system of users and about money.  satoshi designed the tech to enforce sound money first and foremost.  it's not about the tech altho that's what you'd say it is about.  we'll see if it's really about the economic majority.  

but hey, i get it, devs gotta dev.
Pages: « 1 ... 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 [1311] 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 1361 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: