Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:26:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 [1304] 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032126 times)
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 08:00:48 PM

i find 21's two yr experience in mining very encouraging/exciting in anticipation of their ability to roll out relevant IOT asic chips, esp for smartphones.  that should drive things like batshit:

https://i.imgur.com/keXaz8c.png
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
chriswilmer
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2015, 08:01:33 PM

i find 21's two yr experience in mining very encouraging/exciting in anticipation of their ability to roll out relevant IOT asic chips, esp for smartphones.  that should drive things like batshit:

Where are those images coming from? I saw it posted on reddit, but what's the actual source?
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 08:02:29 PM

kazuki, & the other Monero and 1MB pimps.

I think this makes us about even: you were a few months before me in shifting from silver to BTC, and I was a little bit before you in the transition from BTC to Monero.

except i'm not making any transition to Monero.  oh well...
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 08:05:07 PM

i find 21's two yr experience in mining very encouraging/exciting in anticipation of their ability to roll out relevant IOT asic chips, esp for smartphones.  that should drive things like batshit:

Where are those images coming from? I saw it posted on reddit, but what's the actual source?

their ip address.  i think.
macsga
Legendary

Activity: 1484

Strange, yet attractive.

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 08:05:18 PM

I think this makes us about even: you were a few months before me in shifting from silver to BTC, and I was a little bit before you in the transition from BTC to Monero.

except i'm not making any transition to Monero.  oh well...

Is there any reasoning backing up your decision? I'd love to start such a discussion if you don't mind. Smiley

Chaos could be a form of intelligence we cannot yet understand its complexity.
chriswilmer
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2015, 08:07:43 PM

i find 21's two yr experience in mining very encouraging/exciting in anticipation of their ability to roll out relevant IOT asic chips, esp for smartphones.  that should drive things like batshit:

I don't understand... how can an image come from an ip address?
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 08:09:12 PM

hold on.  i'm trying to find the source of 45.55.165.166
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 08:12:41 PM

yeah, not sure where it came from.  am going to ask the OP.
chriswilmer
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2015, 08:21:33 PM

yeah, not sure where it came from.  am going to ask the OP.

Thanks!
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 08:25:22 PM

except i'm not making any transition to Monero.  oh well...

Is there any reasoning backing up your decision? I'd love to start such a discussion if you don't mind. Smiley

well, buried throughout all TPTB_need_war's bullshit is quite a bit of back and forth regarding Monero.  my problem with it is pretty much as rocks outlined.  it's an entirely new protocol.  that by itself is not necessarily the  problem but it is for network effects and confidence for a new form of money, imo.  for instance, Bitcoin is open source and supposed to be adaptable to changing conditions, especially those hostile, so we've been told.  if it fails to adapt to a threat like the 1MB choking of tx's then it cannot adapt and grow and will fail as a new form of money, imo.  that's b/c it is unacceptable for the current network of investors who have stored their coins in cold storage to be expected to dig them out and transfer them to a totally new money on a different protocol like Monero.  that would cause huge losses for us while huge gains for the early Monero adopters. great for them, horrible for us.  in that scenario, i consider cryptocurrencies to be a failure as i would conclude that they are all then a form of Ponzi scheme.  that doesn't mean it won't happen though but is the reason for the extreme resistance to it's adoption from the economic majority who are currently invested in Bitcoin.

and also for the constant pimping of Monero you see here in this thread.
Natalia_AnatolioPAMM

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 08:32:36 PM

wow, thanks for the link
macsga
Legendary

Activity: 1484

Strange, yet attractive.

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 08:33:34 PM

well, buried throughout all TPTB_need_war's bullshit is quite a bit of back and forth regarding Monero.  my problem with it is pretty much as rocks outlined.  it's an entirely new protocol.  that by itself is not necessarily the  problem but it is for network effects and confidence for a new form of money, imo.  for instance, Bitcoin is open source and supposed to be adaptable to changing conditions, especially those hostile, so we've been told.  if it fails to adapt to a threat like the 1MB choking of tx's then it cannot adapt and grow and will fail as a new form of money, imo.  that's b/c it is unacceptable for the current network of investors who have stored their coins in cold storage to be expected to dig them out and transfer them to a totally new money on a different protocol like Monero.  that would cause huge losses for us while huge gains for the early Monero adopters. great for them, horrible for us.  in that scenario, i consider cryptocurrencies to be a failure as i would conclude that they are all then a form of Ponzi scheme.  that doesn't mean it won't happen though but is the reason for the extreme resistance to it's adoption from the economic majority who are currently invested in Bitcoin.

I understand; nevertheless, don't you think there will be another usable cryptocurrency apart from BTC? I don't support XMR will be it (even though I already have a position that certifies my curiosity and will hopefully gratify my early confidence), but I really want to know, BTC is all you have afaic crypto?

Chaos could be a form of intelligence we cannot yet understand its complexity.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 08:57:16 PM

I understand; nevertheless, don't you think there will be another usable cryptocurrency apart from BTC? I don't support XMR will be it (even though I already have a position that certifies my curiosity and will hopefully gratify my early confidence), but I really want to know, BTC is all you have afaic crypto?

there's this whole concept of a network effect which is no stronger than in that of money.  money, after all, is supposed to be the most liquid of all "assets", a bearer instrument, as some like to call it.  no counterparty required, all debts settled in it.

for thousands of years there really was just one worldwide money; gold.  maybe silver to a degree.  then came fiat, but only since 1971 purely.  the USD has been the reserve currency since Bretton Woods in 1948 but we fully depegged from gold in 1971.  the USD has been used as a settlement currency and for reserve worldwide ever since.  the problem with that is that the central banks have taken advantage of this situation to allow massive debt bubbles to arise by facilitating bailouts for corrupt banks who have gone out and leveraged up well beyond what has historically been considered safe at 10:1.  

so enter Bitcoin.  b/c it was derived from the internet, by the internet, and for the internet, it will become a global money, as it already seems to have occurred.  that is a good thing and will bring significant efficiencies and opportunities for all those who have access to the internet and smartphones.  there is no reason why Bitcoin cannot continue to fulfill those goals or ideals.  

Monero folk will tell you we need more anonymity.  sure, i'd like more but i think Bitcoin gives enough.  unless one can attach a human identity to each address in a linear sequence you can never be sure you can tie the ends to each other of say a 5 address sequence.   you might infer it but you'd have to do some investigative work which police can do if suspicious.  that's enough anonymity for the ordinary user not doing anything wrong.

in short, Bitcoin should be able to provide everything for everyone.  that's my opinion at least.
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 09:01:51 PM

The more competition the better, I did mine some XMR early so all this monero pumping just makes me feel good. In my book, the winner is the one with the most utility the biggest boost to utility is the number of end points in the network. The network that will grow the fastest will be the one with the most utility.

So at this time it's Bitcoin hat has the most utility, alts aren't a threat, there will be hacks that can leverage that network, there will be investment opportunities and price growth in alts but for now as I see it, it's Bitcoin, I've diversified my crypto investment but for the most part I've just helped distributed bitcoin to the late stage innovators at my experience - on the upside its growing the Bitcoin network.

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1197

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 09:18:11 PM

Monero folk will tell you we need more anonymity.  sure, i'd like more but i think Bitcoin gives enough.  unless one can attach a human identity to each address in a linear sequence you can never be sure you can tie the ends to each other of say a 5 address sequence.   you might infer it but you'd have to do some investigative work which police can do if suspicious.  that's enough anonymity for the ordinary user not doing anything wrong.

in short, Bitcoin should be able to provide everything for everyone.  that's my opinion at least.

that doesn't mean it won't happen though but is the reason for the extreme resistance to it's adoption from the economic majority who are currently invested in Bitcoin.

There you go. A rational individual (investor) with this set of beliefs would hedge. If you don't, there is something other than a rational decision making process going on. No refutation of this is possible. For the logic of hedging to be incorrect you would have to be 100% sure that Bitcoin is the Eternal One True and Only Coin, which you apparently are not (see above). If you had that unquestioning faith, fair enough, but since you don't, then not hedging is just a mistake.

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 09:18:18 PM

https://epicenterbitcoin.com/podcast/082/
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 09:22:09 PM

in short, Bitcoin should be able to provide everything for everyone.  that's my opinion at least.

that doesn't mean it won't happen though but is the reason for the extreme resistance to it's adoption from the economic majority who are currently invested in Bitcoin.

There you go. A rational individual (investor) with this set of beliefs would hedge. If you don't, there is something other than a rational decision making process going on. No refutation of this is possible. For the logic of hedging to be incorrect you would have to be 100% sure that Bitcoin is the Eternal One True and Only Coin, which you apparently are not (see above). If you had that unquestioning faith, fair enough, but since you don't, then not hedging is just a mistake.

to your mind.  that's your rationality.

i think it is such a remote possibility that i'd rather take the risk of not hedging and instead riding Bitcoin to new heights.  Monero is not even worth me studying at this point. and it's on par with other altcoins that i find equally as improbable therefore i have concluded that i will be willing to pay a premium in the far future if it seems to be gaining traction; which i don't.
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2015, 09:27:27 PM

in short, Bitcoin should be able to provide everything for everyone.  that's my opinion at least.

to your mind.  that's your rationality.

i think it is such a remote possibility that i'd rather take the risk of not hedging and instead riding Bitcoin to new heights.  Monero is not even worth me studying at this point. and it's on par with other altcoins that i find equally as improbable therefore i have concluded that i will be willing to pay a premium in the far future if it seems to be gaining traction; which i don't.

You're giving away your credibility.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 09:31:30 PM

to your mind.  that's your rationality.

You're giving away your credibility.

i don't accept criticism from liars, esp ones who doxx me with intent to incite physical harm.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 09:35:17 PM

btw folks, i know exactly who vokain is and his full identity, where he went to school, how much of a monetary claim he has against HF but i have chosen not to reveal his identity out of respect for his privacy.   at least for now.  we are essentially on opposite sides of a lawsuit.
Pages: « 1 ... 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 [1304] 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: