Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:17:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 [130] 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S4 Discussion and Support Thread  (Read 301198 times)
sloopy

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=905210.msg

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 03:17:56 AM
Last edit: April 06, 2015, 04:04:49 AM by sloopy

It is easy to make the cables to go from a DPS2000bb to the boards with ring terminals or the PCIe connectors.

If you aren't handy with crimping or soldering, or simply do not want to fight more of the headaches I would suggest contacting sidehack and let him know what you need.

If you need help identifying anything I am happy to do so and will tell sidehack what is going on and give him the details of the situation.

It is not hard to make the correct cables with 12 gauge wire. I would revisit my saved information before telling you to use any smaller wire, but SHITSTAIN use smaller. I do not remember the size off the top of my head, but do have it and am happy to look it up.  

Keep this in mind: the main reason I did not want to accept the offer from SHITSTAIN regarding them sending me a 2000bb power supply to use as a stock replacement is it is not right and makes it horribly difficult to sell. Most people do not want to buy a miner with a modified component which is supposed to have an internal power supply. The cabling would have looked different, and I paid a lot of money to have a miner which was down more than it was ever up. Not to mention whatever liability issues you could run into if you modified something and then someone hurt themselves. And again mentioning the fact they KNEW and KNOW today they sold us a crap power supply, every unit has a board pulling too much voltage, and isn't clocked correctly when you do try to underclock, it still pulls the same, along with the other firmware issue. The unit never ran more than 9 days without a PSU failure. It was delivered from the SHITSTAIN factory in China around 01-01-15 and I was on the phone with them approximately a week later. Wash, repeat again after it took them a week to get me another power supply. Wash repeat again, same. I even sent them the entire S4 while explaining the issue was the hash board pulling too much voltage and I believed there may have also been an intermittent connection issue with one of the cables from the PSU. Wash Repeat again, but this time I was done giving them a chance. If anyone would like to know the actual timeline I have it all saved, with e-mails and tracking numbers, but I think you get the gist of my experience. Unfortunately I can change the PSU with my eyes closed.

I do think it important to point out that while Yoshi hides behind the BITMAIN Warranty Account posting on this board and spouting his usual rhetoric he does not deny these issues. He knows these things are true. He may throw out some random comment in an attempt to at least say something or put the scent on another item, but these issues have been clearly identified by many, many people over the past few months. The board issue where the voltage is not controlled correctly is way back in this thread, but again, clearly pointed out and outlined with all the data points anyone needs to confirm the problem. The power supply issue was admitted in the open, but the "batch 2" were not better.

They thought using the ring terminals was the big "fix", but their lack of internal communication or complete unwillingness to spend money on a proper fix for the overall issue is the core problem. Ring terminals are a better connector in this case, but it is not a fix. As you speak with him watch your six, document everything, and keep one hand on your wallet and the other on yourself.

Do not be surprised if he doesn't respond at all, or initially he responds with an e-mail which sounds great, but nothing substantial ever happens. Be prepared to take care of your own issues, but I hope with Prelude's recent posts they seriously take a look at this situation. The technical support personnel are much more professional and capable people. Use them to discuss the details of your issue. I made the mistake of contacting him when I was told to do so from a SHITSTAIN employee. If I'd known what I do now I would have stayed with the support guys. Yoshi gave me this spill about even though this particular unit was purchased through Amazon (Actually Zoomhash) and not directly through SHITSTAIN he would make sure everything was handled and take care of the warranty issues. I made another mistake of believing him as I waited days for information from him while the S4 which shipped from the SHITSTAIN factory directly to me sat not running.

I understand there may be agreements with distributors they receive a larger discount or other incentives to handle their own warranty claims and even support in many cases, but in hindsight find it extremely unusual for someone to act like they are doing me a favor to support this product for 90 days when it isn't even like Zoomhash could have done anything to the unit, they never saw it. AND if he had told me to contact Zoomhash instead of playing the "we will take care of it for you" game, I would have probably received an appropriate response from Zoomhash, but we do not know, because I was never told to do so, he said he would handle it.

I was always polite and professional in every conversation and e-mail, but the simple fact is Yoshi talks a lot of shit, lies to you, and then expects you to treat him like he is something special. You are nothing without customer service. He tries to lay the blame on purchasing from a 3rd party. Why did he tell me he would take care of it then? He knew who I'd purchased it from THEN. I directly e-mailed him the exact same information I had sent customer support showing my detailed invoice and shipping information.

It was after the fact that he realized, as he realizes today that I know enough to catch him in his lies, point out the defects in design, and the cheaply built components SHITSTAIN used in the S4. Then he decides to use his magic purchased from a 3rd party line, but it doesn't hold water to anyone with half a brain who understands the items being pointed out. It doesn't matter who you buy it from if it ships straight to you and has defects in design. It isn't as though Zoomhash ordered a different model and sold me something different, it is the same problems many, many, MANY others are realizing they have experienced or are experiencing now. He doesn't respond directly regarding any of the serious points with anything except to say they will look into it while he continued to ship more crappy product from China AND keep shipping replacement power supplies. But there is no real engineer looking into anything. Their "Engineers" are looking at next gen crap. If they wanted to correct this, it could have been done months ago.

He does buy people off. I have seen many people with the exact same complaints I have raised who go for days or weeks complaining saying the EXACT same things as I, but then one day it is they spoke with Yoshi and everything has been worked out.
Do you think he corrected the issues we all faced or face today with the S4? Of course not, he bought them off with more product, cloud hash, coupons and other items. One at a time, Garza style.

Back to the problems others are experiencing today:
I made my own cables and used sidehacks breakout board. Other than the aforementioned issues the unit runs correctly using that power supply and breakout board.
For the Euro users I am pretty sure sidehack ships there, but there is also Jabber's board to fit this same power supply. Him being in France might save you some shipping. I have not used his 2000bb board, but his IBM 2880 power supply breakout board runs great.

I will not sell the S4 this way though. Even though I know sidehack's boards and my cables work perfectly, you do have a liability concern in my opinion.
If it is a 'buddy' who I know understands what they are looking at / getting into I would probably ship it setup using a server power supply.

But again, I am happy to help anyone with issues.
The SD card vibrates loose quite a bit. Sometimes all it takes is to eject it and reinsert and it will boot.
I bought an extra one and copied the existing one.

For fans it depends on the clock speeds you are running. An overclocker would want to (at a minimum) match the S4 original fan specifications and I have them in a folder somewhere which I can digup. There have been many posts regarding Fan alternatives, but keep in mind the cable lengths. Fans never have cables as long as the ones SHITSTAIN designed in the fans on the opposite end from the controller card aka Beagleboneblack. So, you will need to purchase extensions, or splice some on.
You can get away with a more quiet fan if you underclock.

...but trying to underclock using the current firmware does not save you much in power usage since they removed the voltage functionality. Lowering the frequency does lower your power use, albeit slightly, but the issue is if you cannot set the right voltage you may as well not underclock. You aren't saving much money regarding power usage AND you risk causing other issues.  

You could run the older firmware which does have voltage adjustment, or you could talk to one of the few people who have created firmware themselves. It sounds like Prelude has come up with some firmware and he may be willing to share if we help him recover some of his investment. It seems he asked for anyone else to help when he started to find a coder and have the changes made he needed. I follow many of his posts when I can be here and missed where he asked for other people to chip in, but I told him I would definitely do so. I imagine if he has enough people to help him recover some of his cost he would share with the community at large. Prelude has always seemed to be fair and helpful.

There is also a post from a couple months ago where a guy made S4 firmware for lowering the fan speeds. There were many people using it and I remember reading nothing but good things from his changes. He even sent the code to SHITSTAIN and there were comments about them incorporating some of the same functionality but to my knowledge it never happened because the next firmware release was the one we have now. This one does help provide a more stable hashrate, but of course as I've mentioned and others, it screws the pooch on voltage adjustment. They did the same stinking thing to the S3s. (The S3 firmware has been crappy, buggy and has gotten worse since the 10-24-14 release with the broken reset button, but that is another thread) This shows their consistent screwing customers and limiting choices.    

If you decided to use older SHITSTAIN firmware for your S4 please keep in mind there was an issue where the difficulty had to be manually set on your pool side at 2048 (going from memory on that number, I can look it up if needed for anyone.) If you don't do this you have all sorts of other fun, which was crap hashrate, and I am not talking about a little difference, I am talking several hundred GH in many scenarios. Going from memory I remember seeing 1.6 - 1.7 TH.
This particular issue limited people to being able to mine on specific pools. Vardiff didn't work correctly. IT was messy.  

PM me if anyone wants any help with any part of what I have said. I saved everything and can backup each assertion or piece of information with confirmed items.

Good luck to the folks dealing with failures today. Try to keep the stress from getting to you, it isn't worth it and let me know if I can help any of you be it power supply, fan, firmware, etc.

Transaction fees go to the pools and the pools decide to pay them to the miners. Anything else, including off-chain solutions are stealing and not the way Bitcoin was intended to function.
Make the block size set by the pool. Pool = miners and they get the choice.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Digitalmocking

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 04:12:10 AM

I wonder if every single poster in this thread using the terms Bitstan or Shitstain realize how much it hurts their message.

It makes you sound like a petulant child rather than someone with a credible issue.
dkaufman

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 06:46:11 AM

I wonder if every single poster in this thread using the terms Bitstan or Shitstain realize how much it hurts their message.

It makes you sound like a petulant child rather than someone with a credible issue.

+2

Oh and by the way, while I'm at it, same for those who attack dogie every time he opens his mouth.  Get a life, already.  If you don't have anything constructive to add to the discussion, your ad hominem insults are just hateful noise to everyone else who is here to learn and participate in bitcoin technology, not to watch people fling shit at one another.  If you don't like what he (or anyone else here) has to say, there is an "ignore" link to your left.  Please use it.

Sometimes I wish that the moderators would enforce the one simple rule of civilized behavior that we all should have learned as children: if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.  But alas, they are moderators, not baby sitters :-)

-dave
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 06:54:34 AM
Last edit: April 06, 2015, 07:13:00 AM by Bicknellski

+2

Oh and by the way, while I'm at it, same for those who attack dogie every time he opens his mouth.  Get a life, already.  If you don't have anything constructive to add to the discussion, your ad hominem insults are just hateful noise to everyone else who is here to learn and participate in bitcoin technology, not to watch people fling shit at one another.  If you don't like what he (or anyone else here) has to say, there is an "ignore" link to your left.  Please use it.

Sometimes I wish that the moderators would enforce the one simple rule of civilized behavior that we all should have learned as children: if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.  But alas, they are moderators, not baby sitters :-)

-dave

That goes double for Dogie when he stirs the f-ing pot right?

Get a grip. 99% of the problem is Dogie instigated. If he'd stop crapping in threads and bumping Avalon and Bitmain threads as well as complaining about Spondoolies there would be no issue. Get the facts straight.

Also it is clear that Bitmain would love to see do less of the ANTAGONIZING of customers and more actual support. Too late given what he has done to maintain in the past few months. He really really screwed the pooch and it doesn't surprise anyone including Bitmain that this has happened.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 07:05:41 AM

Yoshi gave me this spill about even though this particular unit was purchased through Amazon (Actually Zoomhash) and not directly through S***STAIN he would make sure everything was handled and take care of the warranty issues. I made another mistake of believing him as I waited days for information from him while the S4 which shipped from the S***STAIN factory directly to me sat not running.

I am sorry to hear about your experience.  But I wanted to jump in and say I have had Yoshi's help a few times.  He's always treated me great, and so has his support team.   I have met him at a conference and he was very down to earth and spent a lot of time he didn't have to talking specs about at the S3 at the time which was brand new.

I personally have a positive opinion.
Bicknellski

Activity: 924

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 07:22:42 AM

Quote from: sloopy
Awesome post Prelude.

Thank you for your time and money spent to this point. Whether S4 users get anything from it or they don't, you have made this particular issue clear enough. You included the appropriate details so everyone can understand and no one can deny or question the facts. That is hard to do in a short summary, but you did it well.

Thanks. I really appreciated both of your posts on the subject, seems like most people aren't willing to speak out. People need to see that I'm not just a sole "angry person on the internet blowing something out of proportion lunatic complaining about these issues" so to speak..

I really don't mean to dig into BITMAIN, I want them to be better. It wouldn't take much to turn their company around. The hardware (let's ignore PSUs....) is alright. The effort to provide good customer support through agents like BitmainWarranty is good. You have to respect the fact that they mostly sell hardware from stock, often shipped earlier than promised. The only real issue is their software/firmware. People like smit could be contracted to help if they don't have the talent in house, or if they are unwilling to spend time and money on improving the hardware once it's out the door. I'm not going to accuse BITMAIN of outright lying to us through BitmainWarranty about the voltage lock-down since their internal communication seems really horrible. A case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand does? Who knows. What is clear, is the issue is out there now. I think (hope?) we've made enough noise for BITMAIN to notice and take action. Their reputation has taken a hit, but it is never too late to make things right.

They are trying and the puts them ahead of most of the failed companies that have come, scammed and gone. From my own dealings with them they are always open to finding new people that can help them out. Send a CV and see what happens. You just don't get Spondoolies like service unless you have the team in place and the communication to follow up with customers.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Cyper_BLC

Activity: 490
Merit: 270

Reverse Engineer

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 11:31:12 AM
Last edit: April 06, 2015, 12:01:32 PM by Cyper_BLC

Sorry friends , if bitmain bitstain shitstain .. (whatever you like) still dont fix that scam firmware, we have a right to sing that song loudly.

For donations : 1CYPERv5yZ4c9FRzPyCz5u8vhttyKmVkto
Emeğe Saygı Göstermeyenler, BECERIKSIZ kişilerdir.
sloopy

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 12:06:24 PM

Yoshi gave me this spill about even though this particular unit was purchased through Amazon (Actually Zoomhash) and not directly through S***STAIN he would make sure everything was handled and take care of the warranty issues. I made another mistake of believing him as I waited days for information from him while the S4 which shipped from the S***STAIN factory directly to me sat not running.

I am sorry to hear about your experience.  But I wanted to jump in and say I have had Yoshi's help a few times.  He's always treated me great, and so has his support team.   I have met him at a conference and he was very down to earth and spent a lot of time he didn't have to talking specs about at the S3 at the time which was brand new.

I personally have a positive opinion.

That is great man, I am glad he is helping people. I have no doubt there is some resemblance to customer service at times.
I hope he pushes things in the right direction. The community needs service driven companies who are For Profit. That is Capitalism to me. It can be a great thing when you have a mindset to help your customers long term.
I hope to hear the same from many future customers and existing ones.

Transaction fees go to the pools and the pools decide to pay them to the miners. Anything else, including off-chain solutions are stealing and not the way Bitcoin was intended to function.
sloopy

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 12:20:40 PM
Last edit: April 06, 2015, 12:32:04 PM by sloopy

Sorry friends , if bitmain bitstain shitstain .. (whatever you like) still dont fix that scam firmware, we have a right to sing that song loudly.

I skipped right over that particular reply. I fear he doesn't own any S4s as he had to ask if what we are saying is true, so lack of product knowledge, hasn't read the thread, hasn't been around for a few months, and looking to buy 20 of them. I literally feel bad for the kid if he gets those 20.

I said it in my walls of text, but to reiterate I know there are plenty of people who do not recognize these problems. There are plenty of people who also sold there problems and / or they were bought back by BITSTAIN.  

I also know for a fact it doesn't take more than a few months to provide adequate customer service and lay out a specific plan to address issues. I started with a group of 8 people over 20 years ago. Now we are over 100 and leaders in our field in customer service among other areas. It isn't difficult. IT is a mindset and the people calling the shots set that example while providing the tools with which to do it.  

When you work in a field where repeat business is the only true model you see these things in the proper light. As you mature you realize no matter what business you are in the people who voice legitimate concerns are the voice of many. There are many others who simply walk away and decide not to say anything, they buy from someone else and give them a chance.

SPTech do not have some magic technology (albeit the April Fool's was great haha), they have a history and habit of answering customers with facts and helping them correct any issue quickly. They lay things out and answer e-mails. They do basic things which make customers happy. It is not some huge secret. It is simply the correct way to treat people in this environment. You may even lose some money, sometimes a huge amount of money, but the business model provides the tools to bring those customers back again, and again, and again.

Look beyond what you can make today, and think about the foundation you may put in place by being customer service and technical service driven. The Sales will come.
And it is not too late, there are always ways to improve, but to do so you must actually produce something which addresses the issues. A repeated message by SHITSTAIN saying the engineers are looking into it doesn't work so well after enough time has passed.

One very important rule of proper customer service is actually the easiest to follow even though it can be a challenge at times, and a couple of others which helped me be great at what I do.
Return every single call, e-mail, or message before the end of the day, every single day.
Be polite and respect the other person may have been through hell that day working with your product.
Outline a plan to correct their issue(s) and provide them with constant updates on the issues.

Even if you slip on dates, have problems, make mistakes, and every other thing that can happen happens, as long as you do those basic things people see you for what you have become through those actions.

Some may not like to hear it, but the customer's perception is reality in the business world. Scammers are caught and dealt with in various ways and they are everywhere, but that is another subject AND not exclusive to BITCOIN at all. It has been prolific, but happens everyday to all of us.

Mainly communicate and have the right intentions. It is simple.
Be polite

Prelude
Legendary

Activity: 1596

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 03:06:50 PM

It is easy to make the cables to go from a DPS2000bb to the boards with ring terminals or the PCIe connectors.

If you aren't handy with crimping or soldering, or simply do not want to fight more of the headaches I would suggest contacting sidehack and let him know what you need.

If you need help identifying anything I am happy to do so and will tell sidehack what is going on and give him the details of the situation.

It is not hard to make the correct cables with 12 gauge wire. I would revisit my saved information before telling you to use any smaller wire, but SHITSTAIN use smaller. I do not remember the size off the top of my head, but do have it and am happy to look it up.  

Keep this in mind: the main reason I did not want to accept the offer from SHITSTAIN regarding them sending me a 2000bb power supply to use as a stock replacement is it is not right and makes it horribly difficult to sell. Most people do not want to buy a miner with a modified component which is supposed to have an internal power supply. The cabling would have looked different, and I paid a lot of money to have a miner which was down more than it was ever up. Not to mention whatever liability issues you could run into if you modified something and then someone hurt themselves. And again mentioning the fact they KNEW and KNOW today they sold us a crap power supply, every unit has a board pulling too much voltage, and isn't clocked correctly when you do try to underclock, it still pulls the same, along with the other firmware issue. The unit never ran more than 9 days without a PSU failure. It was delivered from the SHITSTAIN factory in China around 01-01-15 and I was on the phone with them approximately a week later. Wash, repeat again after it took them a week to get me another power supply. Wash repeat again, same. I even sent them the entire S4 while explaining the issue was the hash board pulling too much voltage and I believed there may have also been an intermittent connection issue with one of the cables from the PSU. Wash Repeat again, but this time I was done giving them a chance. If anyone would like to know the actual timeline I have it all saved, with e-mails and tracking numbers, but I think you get the gist of my experience. Unfortunately I can change the PSU with my eyes closed.

I do think it important to point out that while Yoshi hides behind the BITMAIN Warranty Account posting on this board and spouting his usual rhetoric he does not deny these issues. He knows these things are true. He may throw out some random comment in an attempt to at least say something or put the scent on another item, but these issues have been clearly identified by many, many people over the past few months. The board issue where the voltage is not controlled correctly is way back in this thread, but again, clearly pointed out and outlined with all the data points anyone needs to confirm the problem. The power supply issue was admitted in the open, but the "batch 2" were not better.

They thought using the ring terminals was the big "fix", but their lack of internal communication or complete unwillingness to spend money on a proper fix for the overall issue is the core problem. Ring terminals are a better connector in this case, but it is not a fix. As you speak with him watch your six, document everything, and keep one hand on your wallet and the other on yourself.

Do not be surprised if he doesn't respond at all, or initially he responds with an e-mail which sounds great, but nothing substantial ever happens. Be prepared to take care of your own issues, but I hope with Prelude's recent posts they seriously take a look at this situation. The technical support personnel are much more professional and capable people. Use them to discuss the details of your issue. I made the mistake of contacting him when I was told to do so from a SHITSTAIN employee. If I'd known what I do now I would have stayed with the support guys. Yoshi gave me this spill about even though this particular unit was purchased through Amazon (Actually Zoomhash) and not directly through SHITSTAIN he would make sure everything was handled and take care of the warranty issues. I made another mistake of believing him as I waited days for information from him while the S4 which shipped from the SHITSTAIN factory directly to me sat not running.

I understand there may be agreements with distributors they receive a larger discount or other incentives to handle their own warranty claims and even support in many cases, but in hindsight find it extremely unusual for someone to act like they are doing me a favor to support this product for 90 days when it isn't even like Zoomhash could have done anything to the unit, they never saw it. AND if he had told me to contact Zoomhash instead of playing the "we will take care of it for you" game, I would have probably received an appropriate response from Zoomhash, but we do not know, because I was never told to do so, he said he would handle it.

I was always polite and professional in every conversation and e-mail, but the simple fact is Yoshi talks a lot of shit, lies to you, and then expects you to treat him like he is something special. You are nothing without customer service. He tries to lay the blame on purchasing from a 3rd party. Why did he tell me he would take care of it then? He knew who I'd purchased it from THEN. I directly e-mailed him the exact same information I had sent customer support showing my detailed invoice and shipping information.

It was after the fact that he realized, as he realizes today that I know enough to catch him in his lies, point out the defects in design, and the cheaply built components SHITSTAIN used in the S4. Then he decides to use his magic purchased from a 3rd party line, but it doesn't hold water to anyone with half a brain who understands the items being pointed out. It doesn't matter who you buy it from if it ships straight to you and has defects in design. It isn't as though Zoomhash ordered a different model and sold me something different, it is the same problems many, many, MANY others are realizing they have experienced or are experiencing now. He doesn't respond directly regarding any of the serious points with anything except to say they will look into it while he continued to ship more crappy product from China AND keep shipping replacement power supplies. But there is no real engineer looking into anything. Their "Engineers" are looking at next gen crap. If they wanted to correct this, it could have been done months ago.

He does buy people off. I have seen many people with the exact same complaints I have raised who go for days or weeks complaining saying the EXACT same things as I, but then one day it is they spoke with Yoshi and everything has been worked out.
Do you think he corrected the issues we all faced or face today with the S4? Of course not, he bought them off with more product, cloud hash, coupons and other items. One at a time, Garza style.

Back to the problems others are experiencing today:
I made my own cables and used sidehacks breakout board. Other than the aforementioned issues the unit runs correctly using that power supply and breakout board.
For the Euro users I am pretty sure sidehack ships there, but there is also Jabber's board to fit this same power supply. Him being in France might save you some shipping. I have not used his 2000bb board, but his IBM 2880 power supply breakout board runs great.

I will not sell the S4 this way though. Even though I know sidehack's boards and my cables work perfectly, you do have a liability concern in my opinion.
If it is a 'buddy' who I know understands what they are looking at / getting into I would probably ship it setup using a server power supply.

But again, I am happy to help anyone with issues.
The SD card vibrates loose quite a bit. Sometimes all it takes is to eject it and reinsert and it will boot.
I bought an extra one and copied the existing one.

For fans it depends on the clock speeds you are running. An overclocker would want to (at a minimum) match the S4 original fan specifications and I have them in a folder somewhere which I can digup. There have been many posts regarding Fan alternatives, but keep in mind the cable lengths. Fans never have cables as long as the ones SHITSTAIN designed in the fans on the opposite end from the controller card aka Beagleboneblack. So, you will need to purchase extensions, or splice some on.
You can get away with a more quiet fan if you underclock.

...but trying to underclock using the current firmware does not save you much in power usage since they removed the voltage functionality. Lowering the frequency does lower your power use, albeit slightly, but the issue is if you cannot set the right voltage you may as well not underclock. You aren't saving much money regarding power usage AND you risk causing other issues.  

You could run the older firmware which does have voltage adjustment, or you could talk to one of the few people who have created firmware themselves. It sounds like Prelude has come up with some firmware and he may be willing to share if we help him recover some of his investment. It seems he asked for anyone else to help when he started to find a coder and have the changes made he needed. I follow many of his posts when I can be here and missed where he asked for other people to chip in, but I told him I would definitely do so. I imagine if he has enough people to help him recover some of his cost he would share with the community at large. Prelude has always seemed to be fair and helpful.

There is also a post from a couple months ago where a guy made S4 firmware for lowering the fan speeds. There were many people using it and I remember reading nothing but good things from his changes. He even sent the code to SHITSTAIN and there were comments about them incorporating some of the same functionality but to my knowledge it never happened because the next firmware release was the one we have now. This one does help provide a more stable hashrate, but of course as I've mentioned and others, it screws the pooch on voltage adjustment. They did the same stinking thing to the S3s. (The S3 firmware has been crappy, buggy and has gotten worse since the 10-24-14 release with the broken reset button, but that is another thread) This shows their consistent screwing customers and limiting choices.    

If you decided to use older SHITSTAIN firmware for your S4 please keep in mind there was an issue where the difficulty had to be manually set on your pool side at 2048 (going from memory on that number, I can look it up if needed for anyone.) If you don't do this you have all sorts of other fun, which was crap hashrate, and I am not talking about a little difference, I am talking several hundred GH in many scenarios. Going from memory I remember seeing 1.6 - 1.7 TH.
This particular issue limited people to being able to mine on specific pools. Vardiff didn't work correctly. IT was messy.  

PM me if anyone wants any help with any part of what I have said. I saved everything and can backup each assertion or piece of information with confirmed items.

Good luck to the folks dealing with failures today. Try to keep the stress from getting to you, it isn't worth it and let me know if I can help any of you be it power supply, fan, firmware, etc.

sloopy, I recommend you use 10GA instead of 12GA, unless you're using more than 1 cable per terminal.

As for the firmware I had made which re-enables voltage control, it will be released by smit1237 when he feels enough people have donated for his work. To be clear, I don't want people sending me any money, all the money should go to smit1237 to encourage him to provide us with further support and thank him for the work he has already done for the community.

You can donate to smit1237 here: 19NvsvA9UzFLNaWp7rWuNTEG1v7PCYc86j

You can see some of his custom work here: http://smit1237.asuscomm.com:8080/

Everyone, show your support if you want him to release this voltage enabled firmware.
Marvell1
Legendary

Activity: 2394
Merit: 1102

Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 03:42:18 PM

I solved my low fan/hash rate issue by putting the miner on 240V

the S4s seem to like the higer voltage and even at 60c I get over 2100GH now for 1.45KW

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀█▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
██         ▐█▌         ██
████▄     ▄█████▄     ▄████
████████▄███████████▄████████
███▀    █████████████    ▀███
██       ███████████       ██
▀█▄       █████████       ▄█▀
▀█▄    ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ▄▄▄█▀
▀███████         ███████▀
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
..PLAY NOW..
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 05:15:38 PM

the S4s seem to like the higer voltage and even at 60c I get over 2100GH now for 1.45KW

By chance do you have a kill-a-watt you can put on it?   I'm happy you fixed it just curious of how many watts it's pulling.
Marvell1
Legendary

Activity: 2394
Merit: 1102

Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 05:46:30 PM

By chance do you have a kill-a-watt you can put on it?   I'm happy you fixed it just curious of how many watts it's pulling.

theres no killowatt I know of that has a 240V plug..
I have a metered PDU
http://www.nextwarehouse.com/item/?326761_g10e

each side has its own amp mesurement so i have each s4 on a sepratate side. Right now it shows 6 amps used for each s4 for a total of 1440 watts

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀█▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
██         ▐█▌         ██
████▄     ▄█████▄     ▄████
████████▄███████████▄████████
███▀    █████████████    ▀███
██       ███████████       ██
▀█▄       █████████       ▄█▀
▀█▄    ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ▄▄▄█▀
▀███████         ███████▀
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
..PLAY NOW..
Prelude
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 10:24:47 PM

I'm a little disheartened to see that no one has donated anything to smit. Guess you guys will have to wait on bitmain to "fix" voltage control, though I doubt that will happen.
abracadabra

Activity: 956
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 10:51:56 PM

I have a metered PDU

each side has its own amp mesurement so i have each s4 on a sepratate side. Right now it shows 6 amps used for each s4 for a total of 1440 watts

There's no Kill-A-Watt but there's definitely knockoffs available for 220/240V receptacles.
Prelude
Legendary

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 01:19:18 AM

I have a metered PDU

There's no Kill-A-Watt but there's definitely knockoffs available for 220/240V receptacles.

Might want to consider an amp clamp instead for measuring 240v AC. Also handy for measuring DC amperage from the PSU and calculating a PSU's efficiency.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 01:24:33 AM

I have a metered PDU

Might want to consider an amp clamp instead for measuring 240v AC. Also handy for measuring DC amperage from the PSU and calculating a PSU's efficiency.

It is not a bad idea to have a nice device to use for electrical.  I have my fluke with a few attachments including a clamp.  I find myself using my kill-a-watt a lot more though.  And I know the kill-a-watt was a heck of a lot cheaper.
Prelude
Legendary

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 02:06:14 AM

Yeah, the Kill-A-Watt is great. Few people know this, but the K-A-W actually works on 240v, you just need to cheat by feeding 240v to a 5-15 R.

dmwardjr
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1318

Technical Analyst/Trader

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 05:56:44 PM

Yeah, the Kill-A-Watt is great. Few people know this, but the K-A-W actually works on 240v, you just need to cheat by feeding 240v to a 5-15 R.

Thanks for the info...

Follow me on Trading View for excellent signals in Bitcoin/US dollar - Bitstamp - https://www.tradingview.com/u/WyckoffMode/.  You can follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/ModeWyckoff My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8IbhpQwrTD6BozJPWnyAHA  My Discord Invite Link: https://discord.com/invite/3EJYTytaTT  My Website is in LIVE BETA: https://wyckoffmode.com/
MyRig
Donator

Activity: 792
Merit: 510

support@myrig.com

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2015, 06:17:44 PM

Thank you for sharing info!

Antminer & DragonMint Repair  E-mail: support@myrig.com   T: @MyRig_com
Return Address: MyRig 3700 Quebec Street, Unit 100-239, Denver, Colorado 80207, USA
Pages: « 1 ... 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 [130] 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 »
  Print  

Jump to: