Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:59:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 ... 162 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S4 Discussion and Support Thread  (Read 301198 times)
Tupsu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 06:59:57 PM

For Dogie, regarding my issue,

I have power cycled, rebooted, checked connections, reset to defaults, reloaded firmware,, and still cant seem to get these chips to pop up,,

out of the 11 that we have this is the only issue. we have 9 more on the way, should get them today!

RMA time.

Indeed RMA time?

If my S4  can not handle with frequency 218,75M ,  Can I require  RMA ?

Bitmaintech only writes  :
Specifications:  * Over clocking: About 10%, but not guaranteed   
and S4  arrives default with  frequency  200M (default) not 218,75M

I need an RMA as well . At frequency  250M  S4 had 13 dead chip ( 13  X )  and only works at a speed of 2200Gh/s

Or is the limit of the RMA   frequency 218,75M  as shown in the picture?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
lanfeusst

Activity: 190
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 07:05:44 PM
Last edit: January 17, 2015, 05:10:03 PM by lanfeusst

Hi guys,
After hard work at trying to understand how the antminers S4 fans works (40 hours of my time) , I have finally been able to change the S4 fan speed by changing software.  Smiley This allows to effectively  decrease the noise from the s4 AND to decrease the power consumption by a maximum of 100 watts (expect 30-50 watts).
It should not be used if the temperature is > 65°C. Check that the stop miner when temp is over 80°C box is checked in the configuration page.

If this helps you, consider my bitcoin address :
1NfUptoShEtSD2SQV2f45Xr1bTysFnsHiU

I have modified the bitmain_spi.ko file into two others binaries which gives differents fan speed.

First version with lower fan speed:

Download here :  
 https://mega.co.nz/#!oEUiwSqQ!_HLU1elXd1YHoNoJDO_FRPrsryGSIrZBzbqTReAp1Mg
Result :

Second version with much lower fan speed: it should not be used if the temperature is > 65°C. Check that the stop miner when temp is over 80°C box is checked in the configuration page.

Download here :
https://mega.co.nz/#!UQknnAAT!tAkOkbojWlEkP_NTVB7czJQC3wFs1BD9duK4UWIhJG0
Result:

The original is here if you need it :
https://mega.co.nz/#!NJtxUToZ!KyTOlad--U1JTddV9sq0XdqBhqygmdIZ0ulV1iLuooA

To use it :
Change 192.168.0.16 with the Ip address of your miner

scp bitmain_spi_fan_6.ko root@192.168.0.16:/config/           #Copy the file to the miner

then ssh to the miner :
ssh root@192.168.0.16
then :
cp /lib/modules/3.8.13/kernel/drivers/bitmain/bitmain_spi.ko /config/bitmain_spi_original.ko        #Makes a backup
cp /config/bitmain_spi_fan_6.ko /lib/modules/3.8.13/kernel/drivers/bitmain/bitmain_spi.ko         # Copy the new file to the good place
cd /etc/init.d/ #Change directories
./cgminer.sh stop         # Stop cgminer
sleep 1
./cgminer.sh start         # Stop cgminer

#Wait 30 secondes

Check the web page at 192.168.0.16, you should be able to see the new lower fan speeds Smiley

I did not do that for free   Wink  ; if my new binaries help you and you are satisfied, help me by sending some bitcoins to my address:

Warning: Do nothing you don't understand ; No warranties whatsoever are given by me ; this could not work or be useless ; this could burn your S4 or make it useless ; this could void your warranty with bitmain.

dmwardjr
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1318

Technical Analyst/Trader

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 07:27:24 PM

My new best friend
http://prntscr.com/5abaj3

Why? This is why...
http://prntscr.com/5abafh

More on the way  Grin

Like your set up on the racks you've chosen. 

Now, you will need to think ahead to determine how you will get rid of all that heat as you add more of them.

Have a good day!   Grin

Follow me on Trading View for excellent signals in Bitcoin/US dollar - Bitstamp - https://www.tradingview.com/u/WyckoffMode/.  You can follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/ModeWyckoff My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8IbhpQwrTD6BozJPWnyAHA  My Discord Invite Link: https://discord.com/invite/3EJYTytaTT  My Website is in LIVE BETA: https://wyckoffmode.com/
Cyper_BLC

Activity: 490
Merit: 270

Reverse Engineer

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 10:15:14 PM

am i wrong everyone? is here Pool or mining Discussion and Support Thread page? or what?
we are on the page 79 but pages have almost full of junk ... this is really bad

Yes, you are wrong!

They are discussing how S4's are reacting to different pools.  

The topic is still on S4's, dude!

You must not have done much reading or you are letting knowledge puff your head up.

Grin

Sorry my mistake Grin

also i like lanfeusst 's work, i am not a software engineer but i can do something about my J7 chain1 problem.
i will try
-sd full erase (maybe customs XRAY device broke some SD cells)
-finding data exchange on software like lanfeusst
-if thats not solution i bring tx data from near hashboard or i will use other J connectors. Sad

For donations : 1CYPERv5yZ4c9FRzPyCz5u8vhttyKmVkto
Emeğe Saygı Göstermeyenler, BECERIKSIZ kişilerdir.
Cyper_BLC

Reverse Engineer

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 10:48:54 PM

Hi guys,
After hard work at trying to understand how the antminers S4 fans works (40 hours of my time) , I have finally been able to change the S4 fan speed by changing software.  Smiley This allows to effectively  decrease the noise from the s4 AND to decrease the power consumption by a maximum of 100 watts (expect 30-50 watts).
It should not be used if the temperature is > 55°C. Check that the stop miner when temp is over 80°C box is checked in the configuration page.

If this helps you, consider my bitcoin address :

I have modified the bitmain_spi.ko file into two others binaries which gives differents fan speed.

First version with lower fan speed:

Download here :  
 https://mega.co.nz/#!oEUiwSqQ!_HLU1elXd1YHoNoJDO_FRPrsryGSIrZBzbqTReAp1Mg
Result :

Second version with much lower fan speed: it should not be used if the temperature is > 55°C. Check that the stop miner when temp is over 80°C box is checked in the configuration page.

Download here :
https://mega.co.nz/#!UQknnAAT!tAkOkbojWlEkP_NTVB7czJQC3wFs1BD9duK4UWIhJG0
Result:

The original is here if you need it :
https://mega.co.nz/#!NJtxUToZ!KyTOlad--U1JTddV9sq0XdqBhqygmdIZ0ulV1iLuooA

To use it :
Change 192.168.0.16 with the Ip address of your miner

scp bitmain_spi_fan_6.ko root@192.168.0.16:/config/           #Copy the file to the miner

then ssh to the miner :
ssh root@192.168.0.16
then :
cp /lib/modules/3.8.13/kernel/drivers/bitmain/bitmain_spi.ko /config/bitmain_spi_original.ko        #Makes a backup
cp /config/bitmain_spi_fan_6.ko /lib/modules/3.8.13/kernel/drivers/bitmain/bitmain_spi.ko         # Copy the new file to the good place
cd /etc/init.d/ #Change directories
./cgminer.sh stop         # Stop cgminer
#Wait 1 seconde
./cgminer.sh start        # Start cgminer
#Wait 30 secondes

Check the web page at 192.168.0.16, you should be able to see the new lower fan speeds Smiley

I did not do that for free   Wink  ; if my new binaries help you and you are satisfied, help me by sending some bitcoins to my address:

Warning: Do nothing you don't understand ; No warranties whatsoever are given by me ; this could not work or be useless ; this could burn your S4 or make it useless ; this could void your warranty with bitmain.

can i ask how to do that ?
i have a little linux knowledge and i dont know how to edit ELF file
did you do that simple changing the offset 1180 ? or decompile and compile again ??

dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2014, 01:55:47 AM

Indeed RMA time? If my S4  can not handle with frequency 218,75M ,  Can I require  RMA ?

Bitmaintech only writes  :
Specifications:  * Over clocking: About 10%, but not guaranteed   
and S4  arrives default with  frequency  200M (default) not 218,75M

I need an RMA as well . At frequency  250M  S4 had 13 dead chip ( 13  X )  and only works at a speed of 2200Gh/s

Or is the limit of the RMA   frequency 218,75M  as shown in the picture?

No. No overclocking is guaranteed or even supported.

Tupsu
Legendary

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 02:24:17 AM

Do you acknowledge that it was wrong  to write

RMA time.

or Bitmaintech paid author simply does not make mistakes ?
MrGreenHat

Activity: 173
Merit: 104

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 02:30:25 AM

RMA time.

or Bitmaintech paid author simply does not make mistakes ?
dogie does NOT make mistakes. he is almighty. Wink He CORRECTS mistakes, like me accidentally posting that the S4 came with a 1200W PSU rather than the 1400W that it actually arrives with. No matter how trivial, we can count on dogie to correct all of us and learn from his great wisdom.
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2014, 02:48:38 AM

RMA time.

He had a dying board, we asked him to post additional info to see if we could get him up and running without an RMA. It wasn't possible, so I confirmed he needed to RMA. What are you talking about?

MrGreenHat

Activity: 173
Merit: 104

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 02:59:02 AM

Do you acknowledge that it was wrong  to write

RMA time.

He had a dying board, we asked him to post additional info to see if we could get him up and running without an RMA. It wasn't possible, so I confirmed he needed to RMA. What are you talking about?
Did you not notice the frequency he was running his miner at??? Here's a hint: It wasn't 200 MHz!

I can't even get my S4 to stay powered up 24/7 any higher than 200 MHz, so I guess I need an RMA, too?

Edit: also, i thought overclocking BITMAIN products voided any potential RMA? Or is this no longer the case? I'm not trying to fuck up the dude's RMA and if he is still getting those results at 200 MHz I think he should get an RMA, but with your reputation for attention to detail, it seems you missed a glaring one.
Megabit monster

Activity: 126

Will work for BitCoins

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 04:20:18 AM

Hey guys,

I have a problem with one of my Ant S4's.  This evening it looks like a board went out and it won't come back.  I tried the following troubleshooting steps. The Chains do not show temp which is weird.

1.) Change Pools

2.) Reboot Unit

3.) Power Cycle Unit

4.) Upload the two new firmware in order from bitmain site.

What are the next steps?

Cisco CCNP + CCIE Written. Open to various networking/VOIP related projects. 
Accept bitcoin for payments. Extensive successful project history.
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2014, 04:25:39 AM

Hey guys,

I have a problem with one of my Ant S4's.  This evening it looks like a board went out and it won't come back.  I tried the following troubleshooting steps. The Chains do not show temp which is weird.

1.) Change Pools
2.) Reboot Unit
3.) Power Cycle Unit

What are the next steps?

Open up and inspect for damage. I'm not sure which board will be your board 3, might have to unplug one and test each time. Once you've found it and if it looks good, try swapping over PCI-E and data cables. You don't need to have all modules plugged in.

Megabit monster

Activity: 126

Will work for BitCoins

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 04:29:43 AM

Hey guys,

I have a problem with one of my Ant S4's.  This evening it looks like a board went out and it won't come back.  I tried the following troubleshooting steps. The Chains do not show temp which is weird.

1.) Change Pools
2.) Reboot Unit
3.) Power Cycle Unit

What are the next steps?

Open up and inspect for damage. I'm not sure which board will be your board 3, might have to unplug one and test each time. Once you've found it and if it looks good, try swapping over PCI-E and data cables. You don't need to have all modules plugged in.

Its in a datacenter.  Any chance of an RMA and just getting it swapped out?

Cisco CCNP + CCIE Written. Open to various networking/VOIP related projects. 
Accept bitcoin for payments. Extensive successful project history.
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2014, 04:56:59 AM

Hey guys,

I have a problem with one of my Ant S4's.  This evening it looks like a board went out and it won't come back.  I tried the following troubleshooting steps. The Chains do not show temp which is weird.

1.) Change Pools
2.) Reboot Unit
3.) Power Cycle Unit

What are the next steps?

Its in a datacenter.  Any chance of an RMA and just getting it swapped out?

You'll have to send a request to info@bitmaintech.com for the RMA, was just wondering if we could get you up and running without downtime.

sEpuLchEr

Activity: 248
Merit: 250

Are we there yet?

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 05:43:46 AM

Now, you will need to think ahead to determine how you will get rid of all that heat as you add more of them.

Have a good day!   Grin

Thank you. Yeah, I've got 2 x 2500 cfm fans coming. One in one out. I tried the aircon (12000btu) but it can't keep up. So I'll just have to rely on natural cooling. With the hot temp here in Singapore, they are running 56-63C depending on the time of day which is still ok.

The ear plugs are seriously good as I'm stuck in my small little home office with all the miners, a few pcs, laptops and a couple of NAS. I live in an apartment so no basement or attic to hide them miners and the wive refuses to let me put them anywhere else. LOL.

dmwardjr
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1318

Technical Analyst/Trader

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 06:14:38 AM

Have a good day!   Grin

Thank you. Yeah, I've got 2 x 2500 cfm fans coming. One in one out. I tried the aircon (12000btu) but it can't keep up. So I'll just have to rely on natural cooling. With the hot temp here in Singapore, they are running 56-63C depending on the time of day which is still ok.

The ear plugs are seriously good as I'm stuck in my small little home office with all the miners, a few pcs, laptops and a couple of NAS. I live in an apartment so no basement or attic to hide them miners and the wive refuses to let me put them anywhere else. LOL.

I PM'ed you to avoid complaints.

Follow me on Trading View for excellent signals in Bitcoin/US dollar - Bitstamp - https://www.tradingview.com/u/WyckoffMode/.  You can follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/ModeWyckoff My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8IbhpQwrTD6BozJPWnyAHA  My Discord Invite Link: https://discord.com/invite/3EJYTytaTT  My Website is in LIVE BETA: https://wyckoffmode.com/
Tupsu
Legendary

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 02:19:20 PM

RMA time.

Look at the image again and search frequency 218,75M
Now do you understand what I'm talking about ?

For Dogie, regarding my issue,

I have power cycled, rebooted, checked connections, reset to defaults, reloaded firmware,, and still cant seem to get these chips to pop up,,

out of the 11 that we have this is the only issue.

we have 9 more on the way, should get them today!

Also I noticed people talking about pools,, we use miningrigrentals to rent our gear but when it isnt rented,, My favorite pool to use is Bitcoin Affiliate Network,

They have ports specifically for difficulty *2048* so if you choose the proper port for your miners you dont have to worry about the share Diff as it is locked in.

They also pay per share so your not waiting on the pool to find a block to get paid,, they pay every 2 hrs per share,, and they are paying 10% OVER as a bonus.
lanfeusst

Activity: 190

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 02:31:58 PM

Hi guys,

did you do that simple changing the offset 1180 ? or decompile and compile again ??

I first tried to modify cgminer (modify it and cross compile it for arm) but that didn't work because it seems seems cgminer has no control on the fans at all. I then thought that it was in the bitmain_spi.ko binary because it it loaded and needed by cgminer.
I dissassembled it (with objdump) (no source available for this one even though I saw GPLv2 in the binary) and tried to understand the changePWM and adjust_PWM_from_temp functions. After rewriting theses functions to C, I understood that I could change a single value and affect the way the fan speed is calculated in changePWM. The dissassembler gives the address of each instruction so I replaced it by lower values with ghex, an hexadecimal editor for linux. And it worked.  Smiley

What is the offset 1180 you are talking about ?
The problem I still have is I can't find how to go lower than 2640 or 2520 rpm.
Cyper_BLC

Reverse Engineer

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 04:55:36 PM

Hi guys,

I first tried to modify cgminer (modify it and cross compile it for arm) but that didn't work because it seems seems cgminer has no control on the fans at all. I then thought that it was in the bitmain_spi.ko binary because it it loaded and needed by cgminer.
I dissassembled it (with objdump) (no source available for this one even though I saw GPLv2 in the binary) and tried to understand the changePWM and adjust_PWM_from_temp functions. After rewriting theses functions to C, I understood that I could change a single value and affect the way the fan speed is calculated in changePWM. The dissassembler gives the address of each instruction so I replaced it by lower values with ghex, an hexadecimal editor for linux. And it worked.  Smiley

What is the offset 1180 you are talking about ?
The problem I still have is I can't find how to go lower than 2640 or 2520 rpm.

good work maybe i can fix my voltage problem on the boot Sad i like objdump.
i saw in your modified ko binary offset adress is 1180 Smiley
thank you very much.

Cyper_BLC

Reverse Engineer

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 11:46:11 PM

Did Anyone heard beep sound from yours S4 at anytime (boot-working...)?

Pages: « 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 ... 162 »
  Print  

Jump to: