Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 09:24:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 [904] 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 ... 2137 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com  (Read 3049463 times)
Tweak25

Activity: 30
Merit: 12

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 07:01:26 PM

There's only one green wire, and that's the one the paperclip's on.

Never jumped this power supply before, since I bought it specifically for the jupiter, but I HAVE done this on other power supplies ... so I'm confident I'm jumping it correctly.

It's the other stuff that's puzzling to me.

Like, the fans spin up, then nothing. That seems odd.

Anyway, working on the assumption it's a dead PS - off to the local computer store to get a tester on it / buy a new one.

Weird though, that it would be dead out of the box. Still seems much more likely I've boned something.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
crumbs

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 07:01:54 PM

my vote is that the paper clip's in the wrong spot.  Wrong cable maybe?  How about a pic?

He said the fans spin up, then go back off.

If the paper clip was in the wrong place, the fans would not spin at all, as the power supply would be off.
I've seen power supplies that behave exactly as he describes when powered up while attached to nothing.

The fans on the miner require power to spin.

If the power supply is off, i.e., the paper clip is in the wrong place, those fans have no power available to spin them.

Maybe you mean you saw a power supply spin it's OWN fan and shut down?  That would be different, and certainly possible - but that is not the scenario the poster described.

He would get that if the PS protection kicks in ^ shuts the PS down.  The fan would spin up & stop.  Waiting a few mins will kick the protection out again.  
xyzzy099
Legendary

Activity: 1063
Merit: 1048

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 07:03:04 PM

my vote is that the paper clip's in the wrong spot.  Wrong cable maybe?  How about a pic?

He said the fans spin up, then go back off.

If the paper clip was in the wrong place, the fans would not spin at all, as the power supply would be off.
I've seen power supplies that behave exactly as he describes when powered up while attached to nothing.

The fans on the miner require power to spin.

If the power supply is off, i.e., the paper clip is in the wrong place, those fans have no power available to spin them.

Maybe you mean you saw a power supply spin it's OWN fan and shut down?  That would be different, and certainly possible - but that is not the scenario the poster described.

He would get that if the PS protection kicks in ^ shuts the PS down.  The fan would spin up & stop.  Waiting a few mins will kick the protection out again.  

Yep - but it would certainly mean he did not have the paperclip in the wrong place.

Libertarians:  Diligently plotting to take over the world and leave you alone.
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 07:04:13 PM

Phoenix1969, any danger of you checking your PMs at any point??

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
crumbs

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 07:04:29 PM

There's only one green wire, and that's the one the paperclip's on.

Never jumped this power supply before, since I bought it specifically for the jupiter, but I HAVE done this on other power supplies ... so I'm confident I'm jumping it correctly.

It's the other stuff that's puzzling to me.

Like, the fans spin up, then nothing. That seems odd.

Anyway, working on the assumption it's a dead PS - off to the local computer store to get a tester on it / buy a new one.

Weird though, that it would be dead out of the box. Still seems much more likely I've boned something.

It probably is the PS.  Typical behavior if there's a short.  RARELY the PS won't go on without a load, but most modern ones will.  If you have an old HD or CDROM/whatever, plug it into the PS & repeat the steps with the paperclip.
crumbs

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 07:05:43 PM

Look on the bright side, it's not your *expensive* stuff hat's broken Cheesy
Edit:  If you have a desktop 'puter, unplug its PS, plug this one into its MB (Just the 24 pin), and hit the "on" button...
Edit2:  If still no dice, check if there's a 120/240 switch near the power cord.  Make sure it's flicked the right way.
Tweak25

Activity: 30
Merit: 12

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 07:08:33 PM

Weird.

But thanks for double checking me crumbs / all.

cognoscente

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 07:09:41 PM

Not to belabor the issue but that is the scenario described.
crumbs

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 07:10:36 PM

Weird.

But thanks for double checking me crumbs / all.

If you have a desktop, you can try its PS with the miner, at least one or two boards...  Good luck.
xyzzy099
Legendary

Activity: 1063
Merit: 1048

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 07:11:50 PM

Not to belabor the issue but that is the scenario described.

Nope, read again:

Hey,

Thanks for the tip.

Repeat of the same.

On just the PS with the mb cable jumped - I get 1-4 revs of the PS fan, then nothing. It's like something clicks off in the PS as soon as it ramps up.

On the PS with one board attached - I get 1-4 revs of the PS fan, the board fan, and the two case fans, then nothing. Same kind of behaviour, almost like something clicks inside the PS as soon as it begins to ramp up.

Repeat for all boards.

Libertarians:  Diligently plotting to take over the world and leave you alone.
Phoenix1969
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

LIR DEV

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 07:11:55 PM

I went ahead and let everything run on 0.97
it has been over 5 hrs
the slowest one (255), has slowly worked it's way up to 260.
the middle one(265) has stayed unchanged.
the fast one(275), is now 280.

***So the 0.97 DOES  Perform better****
.... I apologize for my outburst at 4am
Please forgive Ewik

O'rama...   will do, sry.

▀▀█████████▀████████████████▄
                        ████▄      ▄████████████████
                     ▄██████▀  ▄  ███████████████████
                  ▄█████████▄████▄███████████████████
                ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
                                               ▀▀███▀
    ▄█▀█       ▄▀  ▄▀▀█  ▄▀   █████████████████▄ ██▀         ▄▀█
   ▄█ ▄▀      ▀█▀ █▀ █▀ ▀█▀  ███████████████████ █▀ ▀▀      ▄▀▄▀
  ▄█    ▄███  █     █   █   ████████████████████  ▄█     ▄▀▀██▀ ▄███
███▄▄▄  █▄▄▄ █▄▄ ▄▄▀   █▄▄ ██████████████████▀▀   █▄▄ ▄▄ █▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▄▄
                           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                            ▀▀█████████████▄
                                █████████████▄
                                  █████████████▄
                                    ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀
                                      ▀████▀
                                        ▀█▀
LetItRide
                        ▄███████████▄
                       ██  ██████████▄
                     ▄█████████████  ██▄
            ▄▄▀█▄▄▄▄▄████████████████████▄
        ▄▄█▀   ███████████  █████  ████  █
    ▄██████ ▄▄███████████████████████████▀
 ▄▀▀ ██████████████████████████  ████  █
█  ▄███████████▀▀▀█████████████████████
██████████████    ████████▀▀██████  █▀
██████████████▄▄▄██████████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███▀ ▀██████████████████████
██    ███████████████████████
██▄▄██████████████████████████
██████████████▀   ██████████
  █████████████   ▄██████▀▀
     ▀▀██████████████▀▀
         ▀▀██████▀▀
[BTC]▄█████████████▀ ▄█
██            ▄█▀
██          ▄██ ▄█
██ ▄█▄    ▄███  ██
██ ▀███▄ ▄███   ██
██  ▀███████    ██
██    █████     ██
██     ███      ██
██      ▀       ██
██              ██
▀████████████████▀
CYPER

Activity: 798
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 07:14:17 PM

I went ahead and let everything run on 0.97
it has been over 5 hrs
the slowest one (255), has slowly worked it's way up to 260.
the middle one(265) has stayed unchanged.
the fast one(275), is now 280.

O'rama...   will do, sry.

So average is 268. Still unhappy?
It's better than what I currently have  Grin
soy
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1013

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 07:15:00 PM

Just back from 7 miles with my dog and found my miners down.  Must have been cable work nearby.  

So, here's what I think.  If an ASIC module has one or more dies showing high cores being disabled, shut down the system, let sit a minute before unplugging cables from the module.  Remove the module's heatsink, remove the board from the unit.  Then with some gentle support under 1 VRM at a time, exert pressure down on the flat metal top.  Continue with each VRM supporting under that module as you do so.  Reassemble the unit.  Run enablecores.bin and if you see improvement it's not that the VRMs are providing improved power but that the VRMs are losing more heat from their top rather than there bottom.  When they lose heat from the bottom the heat travels by way of the PCB to the nearby ASIC module and the nearest die will come up with errors.  That one reason the lower the fans to the deck method works so effectively - it passes air between the VRMs and ASIC module.

You all are welcome.  I know this is helping my competition but then I've never been an overachiever.

adrd

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 07:17:04 PM

On 0.97 I get better WU, better hashrate and quicker flushwork. But I still get lower hashrate on pool, because HW almost doubled (~9% vs ~16% now)
soy
Legendary

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 07:19:54 PM

Roughly one second.

I'm talking 1-3 revolutions of the fan.
It's on, then it's instantly off.

It's not even getting to boot, so can't see it being firmware.

This seems squarely a hardware / me screwing it up somehow-ware issue.

Run one module at a time.
Phoenix1969
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

LIR DEV

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 07:22:40 PM

indeed CYPHER, I'm happy now... close enough for horseshoes & handgernades....

▀▀█████████▀████████████████▄
                        ████▄      ▄████████████████
                     ▄██████▀  ▄  ███████████████████
                  ▄█████████▄████▄███████████████████
                ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
                                               ▀▀███▀
    ▄█▀█       ▄▀  ▄▀▀█  ▄▀   █████████████████▄ ██▀         ▄▀█
   ▄█ ▄▀      ▀█▀ █▀ █▀ ▀█▀  ███████████████████ █▀ ▀▀      ▄▀▄▀
  ▄█    ▄███  █     █   █   ████████████████████  ▄█     ▄▀▀██▀ ▄███
███▄▄▄  █▄▄▄ █▄▄ ▄▄▀   █▄▄ ██████████████████▀▀   █▄▄ ▄▄ █▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▄▄
                           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                            ▀▀█████████████▄
                                █████████████▄
                                  █████████████▄
                                    ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀
                                      ▀████▀
                                        ▀█▀
LetItRide
                        ▄███████████▄
                       ██  ██████████▄
                     ▄█████████████  ██▄
            ▄▄▀█▄▄▄▄▄████████████████████▄
        ▄▄█▀   ███████████  █████  ████  █
    ▄██████ ▄▄███████████████████████████▀
 ▄▀▀ ██████████████████████████  ████  █
█  ▄███████████▀▀▀█████████████████████
██████████████    ████████▀▀██████  █▀
██████████████▄▄▄██████████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███▀ ▀██████████████████████
██    ███████████████████████
██▄▄██████████████████████████
██████████████▀   ██████████
  █████████████   ▄██████▀▀
     ▀▀██████████████▀▀
         ▀▀██████▀▀
[BTC]▄█████████████▀ ▄█
██            ▄█▀
██          ▄██ ▄█
██ ▄█▄    ▄███  ██
██ ▀███▄ ▄███   ██
██  ▀███████    ██
██    █████     ██
██     ███      ██
██      ▀       ██
██              ██
▀████████████████▀
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 07:26:25 PM

Roughly one second.

I'm talking 1-3 revolutions of the fan.
It's on, then it's instantly off.

It's not even getting to boot, so can't see it being firmware.

This seems squarely a hardware / me screwing it up somehow-ware issue.

Run one module at a time.

And make note of the light sequence on boot up.

To be fair though sound like something tripped your PSU. Turn everything off, before removing or inserting anything. . Remove the ATX cable, from the PSU. Reinsert it. Make sure all other cables are plugged in.

If it's not a Corsair Hx series PSU, turn it back on. If it is a Corsair Hx series PSU I would not risk turning it back on.

Does it start?

If it doesn't try one module at a time and as I typed before make not of boot sequence lighting, is the bright LED solid and longish, 3-5 secs, or a blip, what combination of the red and green light remain at the end.

If no modules work it's likely to be the PSU.

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
soy
Legendary

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 07:29:04 PM

Just back from 7 miles with my dog and found my miners down.  Must have been cable work nearby.  

So, here's what I think.  If an ASIC module has one or more dies showing high cores being disabled, shut down the system, let sit a minute before unplugging cables from the module.  Remove the module's heatsink, remove the board from the unit.  Then with some gentle support under 1 VRM at a time, exert pressure down on the flat metal top.  Continue with each VRM supporting under that module as you do so.  Reassemble the unit.  Run enablecores.bin and if you see improvement it's not that the VRMs are providing improved power but that the VRMs are losing more heat from their top rather than there bottom.  When they lose heat from the bottom the heat travels by way of the PCB to the nearby ASIC module and the nearest die will come up with errors.  That one reason the lower the fans to the deck method works so effectively - it passes air between the VRMs and ASIC module.

You all are welcome.  I know this is helping my competition but then I've never been an overachiever.

And if it works, the tops of the VRMs may have been jogged away from the underlying components when the fans got knocked free in transit or struck by a bouncing fan in transit.  If those tops do just snap on/off I wouldn't go just using any old heatsink compound.  I had noticed earlier this year when I built a heatsink for a USB Block Erupter, the heatsink contacting both the CP2102 and the ASIC, if the compound came in contact with the ASIC pins the hashrate suffered.  The stuff is suppose to be non-conductive but who knows.
soy
Legendary

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 07:51:05 PM

And if it works, the tops of the VRMs may have been jogged away from the underlying components when the fans got knocked free in transit or struck by a bouncing fan in transit.  If those tops do just snap on/off I wouldn't go just using any old heatsink compound.  I had noticed earlier this year when I built a heatsink for a USB Block Erupter, the heatsink contacting both the CP2102 and the ASIC, if the compound came in contact with the ASIC pins the hashrate suffered.  The stuff is suppose to be non-conductive but who knows.

If you remember the mid-west miner company, they chose the wrong FETs, the problem then wasn't so much the FETs but that the buck-converter got hot and I bet it was the ASIC closest to the overheating buck converter that got most often populated.  I can't understand when the buck converter datasheet clearly stated it will overheat if the wrong fets.  Then that most often populated ASIC would have high errors and they perhaps wondered why.
FiatKiller

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 08:17:31 PM

Hey - I apologize profusely ... I imagine this HAS been answered before.

I was away for a week, just got back - and found my Jupiter waiting for me.

The problem is, can't get the thing to boot.

Have an XFX pro 1050W modular to run it.

Everything looks connected fine ... pci-e's are solid and the molex is in.
Paper clip tricked it on pins 4-5, 4-6, 4-whatever the one that's a row down and over is .... all with the same results .... PS fan and the jupiter fans spin for a sec, then nothing.

Not getting any lights, or anything else. That's it.

Now I'm wondering if I have a dead supply out of the box, which seems unlikely .... or if I'm simply fucking something up .... which sounds much more likely.

Can you help a (very excited) brother out?

Thanks very much.
John

[EDIT] I AM trying to catch up ... but I'm still about hundred pages behind.

You have to whisper "up yours, BFL!" before turning it on.  ;-)

LTC: LdxgJQLUdr8hZ79BV5AYbxkBUdaXctXAPi
MoonCoin Gambling: https://coin-horse.com/MON/
Pages: « 1 ... 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 [904] 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 ... 2137 »
  Print  

Jump to: