Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:45:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 1743 1744 1745 1746 1747 1748 1749 1750 1751 1752 1753 1754 1755 1756 1757 1758 1759 1760 1761 1762 1763 1764 1765 1766 1767 1768 1769 1770 1771 1772 1773 1774 1775 1776 1777 1778 1779 1780 1781 1782 1783 1784 1785 1786 1787 1788 1789 1790 1791 1792 [1793] 1794 1795 1796 1797 1798 1799 1800 1801 1802 1803 1804 1805 1806 1807 1808 1809 1810 1811 1812 1813 1814 1815 1816 1817 1818 1819 1820 1821 1822 1823 1824 1825 1826 1827 1828 1829 1830 1831 1832 1833 1834 1835 1836 1837 1838 1839 1840 1841 1842 1843 ... 2137 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com  (Read 3049457 times)
dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 09:28:42 PM

I missed the part including the begging. I can't take 100mp+ chip photos without a unit - I'm not magic.

then buy one Smiley (sorry can't resist)

+1

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Avenger

Activity: 798

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 09:31:52 PM

If anyone wants to fire a unit my way to do a teardown setup guide then let me know.
I usually train my dogs not to beg  Grin
I missed the part including the begging. I can't take 100mp+ chip photos without a unit - I'm not magic.

I think you should demote their manufacturer trustworthiness on account they didn't send you one. D-
No joking, they should be at D- anyway.

They only went from A to B+ after the datorhall was revealed! What a joke demotion that was!

If dogie's guide is supposed to be some measure of trustworthiness, then surely doing something that fucks all your customers - past and present - to line their own pockets is about the biggest mark of manufacturer untrustworthiness there is? They should have been right down to C- or D immediately.

With frankenjup and withholding neptune refunds for months, knc should be right down at D- or lower now.

"I am not The Avenger"
1AthxGvreWbkmtTXed6EQfjXMXXdSG7dD6
raskul

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 09:34:02 PM

If anyone wants to fire a unit my way to do a teardown setup guide then let me know.
I usually train my dogs not to beg  Grin

I think you should demote their manufacturer trustworthiness on account they didn't send you one. D-
No joking, they should be at D- anyway.

They only went from A to B+ after the datorhall was revealed! What a joke demotion that was!

If dogie's guide is supposed to be some measure of trustworthiness, then surely doing something that fucks all your customers - past and present - to line their own pockets is about the biggest mark of untrustworthiness there is? They should have been right down to C- or D immediately.

With frankenjup and knc withholding neptune refunds for months, they should be right down at D- by now.

I have to agree with this. The lies they told and then turning the customer into the competition. Shameless and pityful.

tips    1APp826DqjJBdsAeqpEstx6Q8hD4urac8a
DevonMiner

Activity: 471

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 09:46:51 PM

I have to agree with this. The lies they told and then turning the customer into the competition. Shameless and pityful.

Mmmm .... Lurked on this one for a while ... and have respect for Dogie with his excellent teardowns ... but KNC surely lost all trust some time ago?

If not ... why not?

The Avenger

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 09:47:30 PM
Last edit: June 24, 2014, 10:11:01 PM by The Avenger

Anyway, if it's too dull here, head over to the knc forum.

It's HOTTING up (we love those overheating jokes!) for reports of hot PCI cables, dead controllers and DOA units  Cheesy

Edit. Just going to add this statement from Colonel Kurt from today, so we (well, me anyway Grin ) can laugh about it later:

Today, 04:58 PM
The miners are tested as working perfectly before shipping. As soon as this this miner is created, the QA process begins, then the miner is shipped.

The QA process is an important and relatively fast part of the procedure. I am pretty sure that customers who are to receive these miners are grateful for this extra step.

Did I suggest earlier today that these rigs were probably not being burned-in? I think I did.

"I am not The Avenger"
Airwhale

Activity: 221
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 09:47:57 PM

As someone who isn't an obvious shill or troll,  I also agree.  The 2-1 thing and extra neptune being exclusive was outright deceptive.  
The Avenger

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 09:54:24 PM

As someone who isn't an obvious shill or troll,  I also agree.  The 2-1 thing and extra neptune being exclusive was outright deceptive.  
Oh yeah, add that to the list too.

"I am not The Avenger"
tolip_wen

Activity: 386

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 11:11:32 PM

@ Phoenix

Most residential AC has 2 phases/legs installed.

All you need to 'make' 220 is a doublewide breaker.
(the phases are staggered and every other breaker is on same leg)
Exception is 3 phase industrial panels where it is every third breaker.
In fact most double wide breakers are 2 single breakers screwed together with the switch levers connected.

If you have a voltmeter and long extension cord you can prove it to yourself.
Just plug in the cord and measure from cord hot to outlet hot.
(hot is small prong/hole in US outlets)
Same phase, hot 2 hot = 0 volts.
Different phase, hot 2 hot = >220 volts.

The main REASON a miner would insist on 220 is efficiency.
A >220 PSU is often 10% more efficient at making 12VDC (depends on model)

I'd guess you have 220 and don't know it.
I don't claim to know what service is installed in Volcano, HI. though.

YMMV
Smiley

'twisted research and opinion' donations happily accepted @
13362fxFAdrhagmCvSmFy4WoHrNRPG2V57
My sub 1337 vanity address Wink
Meizirkki

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 11:31:18 PM

If dogie's guide is supposed to be some measure of trustworthiness, then surely doing something that fucks all your customers - past and present - to line their own pockets is about the biggest mark of manufacturer untrustworthiness there is? They should have been right down to C- or D immediately.

With frankenjup and withholding neptune refunds for months, knc should be right down at D- or lower now.

B+ is way too high, agreed. If they were selling any other several k$ computer hardware they'd already be bankrupt from all the lawsuits resulting from shipping disastears of first gen miners and the frankenjups.
Old_Dominion

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 11:38:02 PM

Or not, since they let people switch back who had signed up for the cloud hashing.  Deception requires intent, which you should be fully cognizant of as the prevaricating troll that you are.
helmax

Activity: 440

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 11:38:18 PM

people how i can put quotas balance in jupiter?

i want give 23% to friend mine and left for me

looking job
xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3822
Merit: 7968

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 11:56:21 PM

people how i can put quotas balance in jupiter?

i want give 23% to friend mine and left for me

Don't do that.  Simply set up the auto-transfer for 1 bitcoin and send your friend 0.23 coins each time you get paid out.
The Avenger

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 12:14:47 AM

Or not, since they let people switch back who had signed up for the cloud hashing.  Deception requires intent, which you should be fully cognizant of as the prevaricating troll that you are.

I take it from your hostile response you are waiting on your Neptune to be delivered and are shitting yourself it's going to be a pile of crap you sesquipedalian windbag Grin

"I am not The Avenger"
Old_Dominion

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 12:15:33 AM

Mmmm .... Lurked on this one for a while ... and have respect for Dogie with his excellent teardowns ... but KNC surely lost all trust some time ago?

If not ... why not?

Maybe because for anyone who isn't sucking down BS from Avenger and friends it looks like aside from doing a crappy job of boxing products before shipping and having a rather ruthless approach to replacing the damaged gear, KNC has pretty much done everything they said they would, which puts them in rather rare company when it comes to mining equipment.

They made it pretty clear early on that they were going to be building a cloud hashing facility, and that Neptune would probably be their last consumer-grade mining product. Despite the constant bitching in this thread there is exactly zero data to show that they violated their miner protection guarantee during the period in which it was supposed to be relevant. Avenger hammers on endlessly about pseudo-facts like this and then just in the past day has rather hilariously ignored that the pie chart showed KNC with 5% of network hash power prior to the spike as Neptunes were being powered on and shipped.  That was actually what prompted me to post.

If you pre-ordered a Neptune thinking there was not going to be a huge difficulty rise then you were delusional, since at the time that orders first opened it looked as if Cointerra and HashFast were starting to ship in volume.  That they both performed below expectations and the difficulty rise happened anyway thanks to cheaper chicom stuff and various dedicated mining operations (to include KNC's) instead doesn't change the fact that buying a Neptune was a bet that difficulty wouldn't rise too much by the time they shipped. You could argue the Q1/Q2 thing but when someone tells you they'll ship somewhere in a six month range you'd be an idiot to put all your chips on it being early in that range. If you chose not to refund then you made your bed and can now lie in it. I see exactly nothing untrustworthy about a situation in which people are unhappy with the outcome of a gamble they freely engaged.

The people who have complained about refunds seem to either be ephemeral trolls or to simply be unable to figure out how to provide the correct information for an international wire transfer. As this is a situation that could be resolved with a phone call or a short trip to their bank I don't see how this is a trust issue for KNC.

It sounds like they finally found someone who can box things up based on Elenelen's report that the Neptune modules were well packed.

Arguably with 3.3Th/s of performance they have exceeded their threshhold by 10%, and power consumption seems to have come in below the level they stated, so while it's more a motto than anything else, they did in fact over-deliver.

Mine shipped today BTW (I had a late CA order#), and my plan remains the same. Play with it for a while and then probably sell it on eBay if it looks like they're selling for enough. Same for the second one that will show up sometime later. I may well end up with net negative monopoly money but c'est la vie.  I was the one who rolled the dice, not KNC - and I didn't play with money that I could not afford to lose. While I have it, I'm hoping for a decent owners thread since this thread is a train wreck of useless posts by people who neither own anything nor have ever ordered anything from KNC.

Oh one last thing, I think the bitching about the IRS ruling is idiotic. I mean idiotic in the technical sense because it actually opens up some interesting options. If you have to pay capital gains on Bitcoin then the cost basis for the BTC would be the miner plus the electricity. If you mine less BTC than the USD equivalent of your cost basis you've taken a capital loss, which offsets any capital gains in other areas (such investments in more conventional equities such as stocks).  If you achieve positive ROI then you'd owe taxes at the capital gains rate which should be lower than your income tax rate. Or maybe you try another approach and deduct costs for your "hobby business", which under IRS rules means you can deduct costs up to the amount of revenue the hobby business generated, so you could probably deduct the cost of the miner as an unreimbursed business expense up to the USD-equivalent value of the bitcoins you mined.  Since you'd be getting a deduction against your bracket tax rate rather than the lower capital gains rate, this might work out, and the B2B terms of the sales contract from KNC actually reinforce this if questioned by the IRS - you clearly bought it under a B2B arrangement.  Alternately, it is reasonable to straight line depreciate mining hardware to 0 over a very short period, as they are essentially worthless within a year. One could think of this as an extremely expensive machine tool head that cannot be resharpened.
The Avenger

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 12:28:27 AM

Despite the constant bitching in this thread there is exactly zero data to show that they violated their miner protection guarantee during the period in which it was supposed to be relevant.
Someone dig out the photo of the knc datorhall for this bozo, so he can see knc totally violated everything they "guaranteed" their customers. And some.

Avenger hammers on endlessly about pseudo-facts like this and then just in the past day has rather hilariously ignored that the pie chart showed KNC with 5% of network hash power prior to the spike as Neptunes were being powered on and shipped.  That was actually what prompted me to post.
Wow, you demonstrate your stupidity very thoroughly here. They promised not to mine with not more than 5% of what they SOLD, not 5% of the entire bitcoin network.

"I am not The Avenger"
tolip_wen

Activity: 386

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 12:29:45 AM

Sorry for the off topic but when I restarted my October Saturn it just keeps rebooting after 5s being responsive to Ping's ... at the same time it resets the blue light flashes very quickly.

I found that If disconnect one of the asic board from the board the miner runs well with the remaining one. ... I already tried to connect the "bad" asic to other connectors on the controller board but the same thing happens. ...

Is there any logs that I could look to see what is going on?
Does anyone saw this behavior before? The miner was running for ~25 days 24x7 without any issue but now this happened......
Does it mean the board died?

thx!

Sounds like you already isolated the issue.

About all a consumer can do is inspect bad unit visually.
Subdivide and conquor!

Is the ribbon cable installed correctly? (it can be hard to tell on the ASIC end of the ribbon)
Is the heatsink fan spinning?
Is the heatsink still firmly attached to the ASIC?
Has the heatsink been bumped/twisted hard?
The copper heatpipes can become un-attached from the aluminum block near ASIC.
Are the power wires OK? (visually inspect both ends of cable if modular power supply)
REMOVE BLUE EXTENSION CABLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(each extension adds 12 possible points of failure)

You could also try swapping ribbon cables since you have a known good one on the working ASIC.
Also try different connectors on the controller board.

Hope it helps!

YMMV
Smiley

'twisted research and opinion' donations happily accepted @
13362fxFAdrhagmCvSmFy4WoHrNRPG2V57
My sub 1337 vanity address Wink
xhomerx10
Legendary

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 12:34:10 AM

Difficulty in Sept 35-50 B  ??

I imagine it will be 50 B at the end of August.
vesperwillow

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 12:38:45 AM

Despite the constant bitching in this thread there is exactly zero data to show that they violated their miner protection guarantee during the period in which it was supposed to be relevant.
Someone dig out the photo of the knc datorhall for this bozo, so he can see knc totally violated everything they "guaranteed" their customers. And some.

Yeah it's well known what they did during that period, they even pretty much smiled, winked and shrugged it off once it was widely known.

They've pissed and crapped on a lot of people over the months, and they've begun to deliver a seemingly functional product now. There's good and bad.

xhomerx10
Legendary

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 12:43:06 AM
Last edit: June 25, 2014, 01:10:58 AM by xhomerx10

Ignominious gloating

people, why is it you feel the need to rub salt into the wounds of fellow miners?
We have all been burned at one point or another, and if you haven't been burned then you are either more mouth than money or a god-damn leprechaun with all the luck of the devil in you.

We all understand how to calculate what our own mining rigs will make in their return of investment and whether or not they will break even, so can I just make a plea here; for the benefit of the community as a whole... quit with the ignominious gloating about how rolled-over one or other of us have been? please? It does you no favours to make folk feel badly about our expensive purchases. Let owners of these rigs discuss them in peace.

rant over.

++

Elenelen you can't simply post a ++ that will get your pos deleted.  You have to type a couple of words as well Wink
Anyway, I believe the rhetoric is directed at would-be buyers to persuade them NOT to buy anymore pre-orders from any company.  IF there has been some wrong-doing, the discussion needs to take place.

I'm pretty sure I read in this very thread that someone was able to get out of their "hash while you wait" predicament because of the discussions about being rolled over.
vesperwillow

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 12:44:28 AM

If you read up through page 1500, you'll get everything you need. Of course, that's a lot.

Pages: « 1 ... 1743 1744 1745 1746 1747 1748 1749 1750 1751 1752 1753 1754 1755 1756 1757 1758 1759 1760 1761 1762 1763 1764 1765 1766 1767 1768 1769 1770 1771 1772 1773 1774 1775 1776 1777 1778 1779 1780 1781 1782 1783 1784 1785 1786 1787 1788 1789 1790 1791 1792 [1793] 1794 1795 1796 1797 1798 1799 1800 1801 1802 1803 1804 1805 1806 1807 1808 1809 1810 1811 1812 1813 1814 1815 1816 1817 1818 1819 1820 1821 1822 1823 1824 1825 1826 1827 1828 1829 1830 1831 1832 1833 1834 1835 1836 1837 1838 1839 1840 1841 1842 1843 ... 2137 »
  Print  

Jump to: