Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:31:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 [152] 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Devcoin  (Read 412869 times)
Balthozar

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 07:52:27 PM

No problem. Yeah, it is very interesting from what I have read and seen so far.

That's only 1/6 of the discussion Smiley
If I had more privacy I'd get it all done sooner.

Lock yourself in the bathroom with your laptop and write away! Lol.

http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=wiki:user:balthozar | Earn Devcoins by Writing | Virtual Currency Exchange
DVC:1kFhM8vtEzbZ43Z5wcadPvNrb4xFXbgze | YAC:YHjjwLgjVfsnANTeb9eKeU3rtyKsFNvVCq | BQC:bUu1W2JEQzVrbFvv3EU4gW6KY2J939JDe1 | WDC:WTqa866TFP6d9HWGpYm2AztDNNMFmQ365s | FRC:1N2x7s8F78WiSFCFQPszLqhWsP6Kk1RXVp | NVC:4KcR3Dcmxz1ZDLK3VA9oHxpG4C3oYMCPeV | FTC:6ugwSRQNXQKNb5EVwQVn4CLoZNpiitiQzt | PPC:PSnEL3tmJejkdAAwiBLxSqbCide1voSKXY

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Barnacle_Ed

Activity: 271
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 09:30:41 PM

DVC prices has been slumping over the past few days...makes me a sad barnacle Embarrassed

Incidentally, what sorts of goods/services do people want to see offered for DVC? I can't seem to find a whole lot of goods to spend them on, tbh.
weisoq

Activity: 720
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 10:02:42 PM

DeVCoin is not producing any more coins really than "normal" until it reaches the block at which, if it had been bitcoin, it would have halved the block reward. That isd, when it is approximately four years old. Until then it is not doing anything different than any normal coin really.
So maybe the only trick needed is to somehow make sure that when we reach that point we are still growing enough that people are actually glad we aren't halving the block reward.
I don't think that is really very difficult
Is there any way to quantify the total dvc volume ties up in OT reserves, GM loans and securities? I find the game ideas interesting but honestly struggle with the abstract (actually not so abstract, but I don't yet have my head fully around this) nature of the 'virtual' vs 'real'.

Generally, there's not really an issue with the economics, it's just about perception. Which, putting aside my own specific views, is interesting because it demonstrates just how early these developments must be in the move towards progress.
FinShaggy

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2013, 10:03:33 PM

DVC prices has been slumping over the past few days...makes me a sad barnacle Embarrassed

Incidentally, what sorts of goods/services do people want to see offered for DVC? I can't seem to find a whole lot of goods to spend them on, tbh.

Only because the price of Bitcoin is rising. It will even out though Smiley

If everyone is thinking outside the box, there is a new box.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2013, 12:12:48 AM

The devtome wiki syntax page seems to assume images will be on third party sites, which surely is wrong since images are supposed to be uploaded to the wiki, for example that ensures they are appropriately licensed and also makes sure they actually still exist, we cannot go relites to retain our images for us.

I upoaded an image to the root of the images galleries, but cannot find any working syntax for causing it to actually get displayed on a wiki page.

Anyone know how? Hopefully in a portable way that does not rely on directory structure but, rather, the namespace structure?

I tried {{root:yeworld.jpg}} but that doesn't work so no idea how to tell it the namespace. Trying just the file name with no namespace didn't work either, nor even did putting square brackets around it nor using /root/yeworld.jpg on a wild guess that just maybe the root namespace might correspond to a directory named root...

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2013, 12:19:50 AM

Is there any way to quantify the total dvc volume ties up in OT reserves, GM loans and securities? I find the game ideas interesting but honestly struggle with the abstract (actually not so abstract, but I don't yet have my head fully around this) nature of the 'virtual' vs 'real'.

Generally, there's not really an issue with the economics, it's just about perception. Which, putting aside my own specific views, is interesting because it demonstrates just how early these developments must be in the move towards progress.

The Digitalis Open Transactions server has issued 220 million dDVC (digiDeVCoins) so far, corresponding to 220 million actual devcoins secured in cold wallet vaults.

Of those digiDeVCoins how many are in what account gets somewhat more political. I think Martian regulations only require corps to show any kind of balance sheets and such to shareholders who own 10% of the corp, so its not like you could buy one share of a corp to get a list of all the assets it holds...

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Unthinkingbit (OP)

Activity: 935
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 01:38:02 AM

I upoaded an image to the root of the images galleries, but cannot find any working syntax for causing it to actually get displayed on a wiki page.

Anyone know how? Hopefully in a portable way that does not rely on directory structure but, rather, the namespace structure?

I added the syntax description to:
http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=earn_devcoins_by_writing#earnings_per_image

Because of a bug, images have to be part of a link to be displayed, the link can be to anything. An image link looks like:

[[link to anywhere|{{image file name}}]]

[[https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34586.msg2084348#msg2084348|{{devcoin_button_fheenix.jpg}}]]

Many images can be seen in the devcoin gallery:
http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=devcoin_gallery

weisoq

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 09:09:12 AM

The Digitalis Open Transactions server has issued 220 million dDVC (digiDeVCoins) so far, corresponding to 220 million actual devcoins secured in cold wallet vaults.

Of those digiDeVCoins how many are in what account gets somewhat more political. I think Martian regulations only require corps to show any kind of balance sheets and such to shareholders who own 10% of the corp, so its not like you could buy one share of a corp to get a list of all the assets it holds...

-MarkM-
Thanks. Been doing some reading on open transactions and had a listen to an oldish cypherpunkd interview with fellow traveller. Appreciate you don’t speak for him and vice-versa, but have a few basic questions if you have a mo to entertain them:

(1) OT combines some digital cash concepts. It creates an untraceable, anonymising exchange for say btc, into any other currency type/basket etc. Unless I'm misunderstanding something, what's the basis for it's ability to legitimately do this but not exchange other (fiat?) into btc as a starting point?

(2) Following from (1), if it can't serve a role as a starting fiat exchange point does that infer that OT is treating all assets as virtual from the point of its involvement in a process, such that transactions/exchanges incorporating OT are dependant solely on the self-verifying nature of contracts created (i.e. all good so long as you know another party will accept your contract – e.g. an OT ‘US dollar’ as a US dollar etc?).

(3) A large part of what I’m reading seems to build upon the example of btc as the backing asset/currency, facilitating transactions rather than necessarily acting as the medium of exchange itself. Is the choice of Bitcoin purely circumstantial i.e. it could be any crypto really, or does this perhaps add weight to the idea of Bitcoin in its limited numbers serving a different monetary role to any actual medium of exchange proposition; rather as the backing medium or commodity.

(4) Following from (2), I’m left with a better appreciation of the growing blur between ‘real’ and ‘virtual’ assets. Frankly, what is a financial asset anyway, it seems a moot point which future cash flows are more imagined or real.

Hope that makes sense (posted here as the OT threads are more technical). Cheers
alyssa85
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1088

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 09:32:33 AM

On vircurex, the volume for the BTC/DVC trade is a colossal 15,694,970.8426  So I'd say someone sold almost their entire holding!

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit InvestBox.|.BUY X10 AND EARN 10% DAILY.🏆
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 11:09:42 AM

Yeah, he could have divided his dump not to kill the price

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
jasinlee

Activity: 742

Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 01:30:11 PM

Unthinkingbit can you check on the contest submitted articles for me on devtome.com tomorrow for me please.

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
metazilla

Activity: 75

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 07:14:32 PM

Over time won't this become a huge problem? People earn devcoins, want to use them to buy stuff, sell them for BTC, then either buy stuff with the BTC or sell the BTC for fiat. It seems to me that that there is an imbalance here, because no matter how many people think Devcoin is awesome and want to support the project, there are going to be people in it for the earnings and selling off their coins.

So what is the solution to this? How can we get people to buy DVC with BTC? The only thing I've seen so far that encourages a net influx of BTC -> DVC is twobit's ASICMINER passthrough, since it buys DVC with the BTC earned. That said, it suffers the same problem, in that people will want to spend their profits in some way.

It seems to me that the real solution would be a way for people to spend their DVC directly, without affecting the exchange rate.

Thoughts?

Balthozar

Activity: 98

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 07:25:29 PM

Over time won't this become a huge problem? People earn devcoins, want to use them to buy stuff, sell them for BTC, then either buy stuff with the BTC or sell the BTC for fiat. It seems to me that that there is an imbalance here, because no matter how many people think Devcoin is awesome and want to support the project, there are going to be people in it for the earnings and selling off their coins.

So what is the solution to this? How can we get people to buy DVC with BTC? The only thing I've seen so far that encourages a net influx of BTC -> DVC is twobit's ASICMINER passthrough, since it buys DVC with the BTC earned. That said, it suffers the same problem, in that people will want to spend their profits in some way.

It seems to me that the real solution would be a way for people to spend their DVC directly, without affecting the exchange rate.

Thoughts?

FinShaggy and I have been saying this for a long time. We need DVC markets and whatnot, or else DVC is nothing more than a token.

http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=wiki:user:balthozar | Earn Devcoins by Writing | Virtual Currency Exchange
DVC:1kFhM8vtEzbZ43Z5wcadPvNrb4xFXbgze | YAC:YHjjwLgjVfsnANTeb9eKeU3rtyKsFNvVCq | BQC:bUu1W2JEQzVrbFvv3EU4gW6KY2J939JDe1 | WDC:WTqa866TFP6d9HWGpYm2AztDNNMFmQ365s | FRC:1N2x7s8F78WiSFCFQPszLqhWsP6Kk1RXVp | NVC:4KcR3Dcmxz1ZDLK3VA9oHxpG4C3oYMCPeV | FTC:6ugwSRQNXQKNb5EVwQVn4CLoZNpiitiQzt | PPC:PSnEL3tmJejkdAAwiBLxSqbCide1voSKXY
Barnacle_Ed

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 10:18:52 PM

Thoughts?

Wholeheartedly agree. Other than computer parts and setting up bounties in this thread, I frankly see little in the way of Devcoin services...

Perhaps we should start a gambling site and/or a sale hub like Atlantis or BitMit. Those seem to be (relatively) simple ways to get some real DVC value in a short time.
Barnacle_Ed

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 11:03:09 PM

Thoughts?

Wholeheartedly agree. Other than computer parts and setting up bounties in this thread, I frankly see little in the way of Devcoin services...

Perhaps we should start a gambling site and/or a sale hub like Atlantis or BitMit. Those seem to be (relatively) simple ways to get some real DVC value in a short time.

Nice idea, but gamble isn't really something that would give coin a value Wink We need some serious service accepting DVC

It would be a start, at the very least. There's nothing like gambling, alcohol, and sex to inherently boost the value of anything...otherwise Las Vegas would just be a random patch of desert Smiley

I'm tempted to throw a few things for DVC together. My schedule is crazy busy for the next 2 weeks though since I'm gearing up for a hackathon on the 15th.
jasinlee

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 11:12:41 PM

Thoughts?

Nice idea, but gamble isn't really something that would give coin a value Wink We need some serious service accepting DVC

It would be a start, at the very least. There's nothing like gambling, alcohol, and sex to inherently boost the value of anything...otherwise Las Vegas would just be a random patch of desert Smiley

I'm tempted to throw a few things for DVC together. My schedule is crazy busy for the next 2 weeks though since I'm gearing up for a hackathon on the 15th.

When we are done with the ad network it will be be one good service. But I would suggest someone create an anonymous hosting/vps site that accepts dvc, possibly registrar also.

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
weisoq

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 11:17:12 PM

the first thing devcoin needs is a liquid dvc/FIAT exchange market
jasinlee

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 11:30:11 PM

the first thing devcoin needs is a liquid dvc/FIAT exchange market

Well....no comment yet.

alyssa85
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1088

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 12:36:04 AM

Thoughts?

What we really need is an Ebay style Devcoin platform, where members of the community could list goods and services and buy and sell stuff from one another, all in Devcoin. So, if someone wants to buy from amazon.com, instead of cashing out to fiat to buy, they can just buy amazon voucher codes for Devcoin from someone else on the platform etc. I'm sure it could be expanded to include loads of things.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit InvestBox.|.BUY X10 AND EARN 10% DAILY.🏆
EmilianoZ

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2013, 01:08:05 AM

Thoughts?

When we are done with the ad network it will be be one good service. But I would suggest someone create an anonymous hosting/vps site that accepts dvc, possibly registrar also.

I still think we need to control the amount of devcoins in the market, I know the idea of having less coins is not a nice one ever, but think about it from this side, if we are able somehow to rise the value of devcoins what you win in value will make it up for the nominal loose, in other words, devcoin value now is 0.000001 of a bitcoin what if you spend half your coins to make it 0.0001.
With this value the services you are talking about here will start to appear out of nothing, like going downhill, while trying the other way around will be a lot harder.
Pages: « 1 ... 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 [152] 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 »
  Print  

Jump to: