Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:41:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 1210 1211 1212 1213 1214 1215 1216 1217 1218 1219 1220 1221 1222 1223 1224 1225 1226 1227 1228 1229 1230 1231 1232 1233 1234 1235 1236 1237 1238 1239 1240 1241 1242 1243 1244 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 [1260] 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032135 times)
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 10:38:17 PM

So iCE. Are you working for Blockstream?

I'm working for Nick Szabo.  That's why I asked you to calm down and stop exaggerating.

Blockstream will hire me right after recruiting Mircea.  Any second now...   Cheesy

You got a lot of balls aligning yourself with clown Mircea. Actually I don't have anything against him but he acts like one.

Thanks doc, I'll take that a compliment.

Mircea clowns for the same reason we do, entertainment.  His IQ is probably higher than either of ours and MPEX has never been hacked, much less regulated.

Remember the time he clowned the SEC?  Hysterical.

http://trilema.com/2014/interacting-with-fiat-institutions-a-guide/

Dear Mr. Popescu

My name is Daphna Waxman and I am an attorney with the Enforcement Division of the United States Securities and Exchange Commission.

The Commission staff would like to speak with you concerning the listing of shares of SatoshiDICE on MPEx.

actually, that was impressive and kudos to him for the hutzpah to have done that.  i guess i could learn to admire a transsex.

ultimately though, i think you're making a mistake by not facilitating dissemination of Bitcoin to as many ppl worldwide outside the jurisdiction of the US for security reasons.  b/c unfortunately, i view our USG as the biggest threat to Bitcoin and the more enemies hands it gets into the more resilient and secure for all it will be.  you should want that from what you want as a universal money.  it can't be a digital gold equivalent otherwise.  it's the little African kid who will either use it for a meal or run guns for the Junta that will actually secure Bitcoin the most just out of sheer usage and demand.  at least, that's how i see it.

1/ how can one view the USG as the biggest threat for bitcoin and yet blindly follow one MIT-paid-developper?
2/ enough with the little african meme please. lets be serious for a moment.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 10:45:53 PM

So iCE. Are you working for Blockstream?

I'm working for Nick Szabo.  That's why I asked you to calm down and stop exaggerating.

Blockstream will hire me right after recruiting Mircea.  Any second now...   Cheesy

You got a lot of balls aligning yourself with clown Mircea. Actually I don't have anything against him but he acts like one.

Thanks doc, I'll take that a compliment.

Mircea clowns for the same reason we do, entertainment.  His IQ is probably higher than either of ours and MPEX has never been hacked, much less regulated.

Remember the time he clowned the SEC?  Hysterical.

http://trilema.com/2014/interacting-with-fiat-institutions-a-guide/

Dear Mr. Popescu

My name is Daphna Waxman and I am an attorney with the Enforcement Division of the United States Securities and Exchange Commission.

The Commission staff would like to speak with you concerning the listing of shares of SatoshiDICE on MPEx.

actually, that was impressive and kudos to him for the hutzpah to have done that.  i guess i could learn to admire a transsex.

ultimately though, i think you're making a mistake by not facilitating dissemination of Bitcoin to as many ppl worldwide outside the jurisdiction of the US for security reasons.  b/c unfortunately, i view our USG as the biggest threat to Bitcoin and the more enemies hands it gets into the more resilient and secure for all it will be.  you should want that from what you want as a universal money.  it can't be a digital gold equivalent otherwise.  it's the little African kid who will either use it for a meal or run guns for the Junta that will actually secure Bitcoin the most just out of sheer usage and demand.  at least, that's how i see it.

1/ how can one view the USG as the biggest threat for bitcoin and yet blindly follow one MIT-paid-developper?

i know it's somehow fashionable to link MIT Gavin pay to the USG but i don't see it.  even if they do have their hands in places within MIT, i seriously doubt Joi Ito or Gavin would be a participant to anything anti-Bitcoin.

2/ enough with the little african meme please. lets be serious for a moment.

why?  i quite like that meme.  seriously.

if you take a moment to think about it, other than a Muslim terrorist, who in this world would be least likely for the USG be able to influence when it comes down to monetary matters?  why, a little African kid!  whoa, how profound!  seriously.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4578
Merit: 1276

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 10:50:27 PM

You got a lot of balls aligning yourself with Hearn and Andresen.

I don't have anything against these two as people but they are wholly mainstream and by every indication they love big brother at the very least.  I find this out-of-band with a lot of the early adopters of Bitcoin and where I believe the center-mass should be in order to carry Bitcoin forward as a viable and valuable feature of our world.

well, the half woman half man dude is definitely more out there btwn the 3. 

Hearns has made some outrageous statish-like proposals in the past.  never could reconcile that.  but no doubt he's smart as hell.

Apparently you could reconcile that.

Gavin can't and shouldn't be blamed for talking to the CIA back in the day.  it was purely by request on their part, i'm convinced.  what is with guys like you that hate him so much?  i'm seriously asking what is the beef b/c i can't identify one really.

I was one of the minority who supported Gavin's visit with the CIA.  Later, when he was invited to rub elbows with the CFR, I requested one simple and obvious thing; tell them that the community which he was the putative leader of didn't trust them and wished complete transparency.  Gavin would not even entertain this suggestion.  I think it a very strong hypothesis that Gavin sees Bitcoin as not much more than his lottery ticket to win the hunger games, and one that pretty much fell into his lap.  The hypothesis grows ever stronger in observing his actions as the years drift by.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 11:27:02 PM
Last edit: May 31, 2015, 11:44:28 PM by cypherdoc

You got a lot of balls aligning yourself with Hearn and Andresen.

I don't have anything against these two as people but they are wholly mainstream and by every indication they love big brother at the very least.  I find this out-of-band with a lot of the early adopters of Bitcoin and where I believe the center-mass should be in order to carry Bitcoin forward as a viable and valuable feature of our world.

well, the half woman half man dude is definitely more out there btwn the 3.  

Hearns has made some outrageous statish-like proposals in the past.  never could reconcile that.  but no doubt he's smart as hell.

Apparently you could reconcile that.

Gavin can't and shouldn't be blamed for talking to the CIA back in the day.  it was purely by request on their part, i'm convinced.  what is with guys like you that hate him so much?  i'm seriously asking what is the beef b/c i can't identify one really.

I was one of the minority who supported Gavin's visit with the CIA.  Later, when he was invited to rub elbows with the CFR, I requested one simple and obvious thing; tell them that the community which he was the putative leader of didn't trust them and wished complete transparency.  Gavin would not even entertain this suggestion.  I think it a very strong hypothesis that Gavin sees Bitcoin as not much more than his lottery ticket to win the hunger games, and one that pretty much fell into his lap.  The hypothesis grows ever stronger in observing his actions as the years drift by.

oh c'mon.  is that all u got?  if i were him i wouldn't say that either.  why let your enemy know what you're thinking?  lure them in, let them get comfortable.  why the hell should he listen to you anyways?

i see the exact opposite.  and i've listened to just about everything he's ever said about Bitcoin.  he's very pro-Bitcoin first principles.

btw, all you guys here keep banging on Gavin's ulterior motives.  maybe it's time i bring up the core dev Blockstream block's motivations here once again.  let me remind you; they are a for-profit, gvt registered, $21M conflicted, high powered gvt-captured investor driven, 10x expected return demanded, command and control insinuated core dev cabal, with a choke hold on Bitcoin development using stalling tactics to destroy all further growth and decentralization, employing all out diversionary measures so as to further their pet project called sidechains, at tremendous personal billion dollar windfalls to themselves in the form of exercised stock options and lucrative pay contracts.   there.  how's that feel?

admittedly over the top, yes, but i'm tired of your guys slash and burn techniques.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 11:32:06 PM

if you'll recall.  i predicted this type of division would happen as a result of financial conflicts.

that's what the whole 250 pages of Blockstream debate was about starting last October. 
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 11:57:17 PM

let me ask you this.

if 20MB blocks were implemented today, would you think the price jumps to $460/BTC today? you'd say no, i'd bet.
but you'd have to question why not b/c of this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=400235.msg5882283#msg5882283

so if you don't believe the price would jump to that $460 (20x), why would you think the block size would immediately jump to 20MB?
the answer is it won't. it will slowly grow over time, maybe years. and if so, Nielsen's Law should prevent any problems.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 02:38:20 AM

let me ask you this.

if 20MB blocks were implemented today, would you think the price jumps to $460/BTC today? you'd say no, i'd bet.
but you'd have to question why not b/c of this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=400235.msg5882283#msg5882283

so if you don't believe the price would jump to that $4600 (20x), why would you think the block size would immediately jump to 20MB?
the answer is it won't. it will slowly grow over time, maybe years. and if so, Nielsen's Law should prevent any problems.

there i go again with those stupid zeros  Grin
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 04:59:43 AM

Eleuthria from BTCGuild thinks we need an increase:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/370rko/21_inc_engineer_everyone_assumes_humans_will_be/crjfnpg?context=3
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 06:38:10 AM

And Rusty Russell offers a stepped increase:

Countries which had best bandwidth grew about 17% a year, so I think that’s the best model for future growth patterns (China is now where the US was 7 years ago, for example).

If bandwidth is the main centralization concern, you’ll want block growth below 15%. That implies we could jump the cap to 3MB next year, and 15% thereafter. Or if you’re less conservative, 3.5MB next year, and 17% there after.

http://rusty.ozlabs.org/?p=493

This would be tight, but a hell of a lot better than doing nothing. All he needs to do is convince his Blockstream colleagues and the basis for a compromise exists.

Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 02:41:57 PM

Another bullish chart:

In some way this one has "excluded the bubbles" from the trendline:

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 03:05:38 PM

And Rusty Russell offers a stepped increase:

Countries which had best bandwidth grew about 17% a year, so I think that’s the best model for future growth patterns (China is now where the US was 7 years ago, for example).

If bandwidth is the main centralization concern, you’ll want block growth below 15%. That implies we could jump the cap to 3MB next year, and 15% thereafter. Or if you’re less conservative, 3.5MB next year, and 17% there after.

http://rusty.ozlabs.org/?p=493

This would be tight, but a hell of a lot better than doing nothing. All he needs to do is convince his Blockstream colleagues and the basis for a compromise exists.

there's a clue here.  and it's not good news.

/u/nullc still thinks he was right in banning Ver & Matonis despite an overwhelming community opinion to the contrary.  the community's only course of action at the time, which has proven very successful and stood the test of time, was to "fork" away from PressCenter.org and move to another website.  which has now become the de facto go to place.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 03:12:51 PM

/u/nullc still thinks he was right in banning Ver & Matonis despite an overwhelming community opinion to the contrary.  the community's only course of action at the time, which has proven very successful and stood the test of time, was to "fork" away from PressCenter.org and move to another website.  which has now become the de facto go to place.
I believe the Blockstream crew is going to learn the hard way that there's no such thing as tenure in Bitcoin.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 03:16:33 PM
Last edit: June 01, 2015, 03:31:38 PM by cypherdoc

Another bullish chart:

and it's true.  i'm confident Bitcoin is about to break out.

while the debate here and over on Reddit seem contentious and irreconcilable, i've never felt more liberated by arguing what i think is right for Bitcoin despite knowing i might harm the short term price.  guys like Pruden thinks he can get under my skin with comments like this:

And in case you haven't noticed, bitcoin price has started to move, and it's not in your preferred direction.

he's wrong.  what we're witnessing is creative destruction.
klee
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 03:24:43 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=643235.msg11506171#new
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 03:27:47 PM

I believe the Blockstream crew is going to learn the hard way that there's no such thing as tenure in Bitcoin.

in a way, i also see this as an opportunity which can be very bullish long term.

if Gavin and XT are successful, and i think they will be, there is a real opportunity to clean house and leave the garbage outside.  we can selectively pick that which we wish to retain, maybe pwiullie & Wlad, but the rest can be shipped off to the junkyard.

plus, it will give plenty of new fresh minds an opportunity to become core devs with all the perks that go along with it.  and there are plenty even if you're essentially volunteering.  i wouldn't expect them to, but my pt still stands.  there's prestige, access, status, and lucrative consulting opportunities that abound.  there are plenty of brilliant minds out there that have been spurned by the current group and would love to step into their shoes.  it also probably will set a precedent that large blocks of core devs shouldn't go off and start a for-profit company that introduces massive conflicts of interest into the dev process. 

after all, Bitcoin has evolved to that of a public good.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 03:30:22 PM

i don't discount the importance of diversity of opinion that exists theoretically in the current group of devs.

but can you imagine if a new group of core devs were put in place that could cooperate more fully leading to more responsive changes in the marketplace via the code? 
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 03:37:18 PM

if Gavin and XT are successful, and i think they will be, there is a real opportunity to clean house and leave the garbage outside.  we can selectively pick that which we wish to retain, maybe pwiullie & Wlad, but the rest can be shipped off to the junkyard.

plus, it will give plenty of new fresh minds an opportunity to become core devs with all the perks that go along with it.  and there are plenty even if you're essentially volunteering.  i wouldn't expect them to, but my pt still stands.  there's prestige, access, status, and lucrative consulting opportunities that abound.  there are plenty of brilliant minds out there that have been spurned by the current group and would love to step into their shoes.  it also probably will set a precedent that large blocks of core devs shouldn't go off and start a for-profit company that introduces massive conflicts of interest into the dev process.
If you want to bring fresh minds into Bitcoin, then dumping the Bitcoin Core codebase is necessary.

Part of the reason that there are so few "core developers" is because Bitcoin Core is so difficult to understand, despite fairly extensive attempts to clean it up.

Other implementations, notably btcsuite, do not share this problem.

It would be a huge waste of effort to not take the opportunity to switch the reference codebase to something more understandable and maintainable.
Hunyadi
Legendary

Activity: 1281

☑ ♟ ☐ ♚

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 03:40:58 PM

14 bitcoin XT nodes...

https://getaddr.bitnodes.io/nodes/?q=/Bitcoin%20XT:0.10.0/

▂▃▅▇█▓▒░B**-Cultist░▒▓█▇▅▃▂
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 03:41:19 PM

If you want to bring fresh minds into Bitcoin, then dumping the Bitcoin Core codebase is necessary.

Part of the reason that there are so few "core developers" is because Bitcoin Core is so difficult to understand, despite fairly extensive attempts to clean it up.

Other implementations, notably btcsuite, do not share this problem.

It would be a huge waste of effort to not take the opportunity to switch the reference codebase to something more understandable and maintainable.

if you're gonna use the new term "btcsuite" you ought to include it's former name "btcd".  i saw your reddit post on this and had no idea what you were talking about and thus brushed it off.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 03:42:52 PM

i heard something about that.  that's extraordinary. 

how does one convert their full nodes seamlessly and hopefully easily?
Pages: « 1 ... 1210 1211 1212 1213 1214 1215 1216 1217 1218 1219 1220 1221 1222 1223 1224 1225 1226 1227 1228 1229 1230 1231 1232 1233 1234 1235 1236 1237 1238 1239 1240 1241 1242 1243 1244 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 [1260] 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: