Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:46:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 1394 1395 1396 1397 1398 1399 1400 1401 1402 1403 1404 1405 1406 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 1412 1413 1414 1415 1416 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 [1422] 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 1429 1430 1431 1432 1433 1434 1435 1436 1437 1438 1439 1440 1441 1442 1443 1444 1445 1446 1447 1448 1449 1450 1451 1452 1453 1454 1455 1456 1457 1458 1459 1460 1461 1462 1463 1464 1465 1466 1467 1468 1469 1470 1471 1472 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032135 times)
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 04:18:32 PM

I just heard the NYSE halted trading.

geezuz.

you see, it's a systemic global problem as i have been saying all along.

the sweet smell of Deflation.
Technical issues  Wink http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=^dji

Market crashing?  Not anymore!

How con-ven-ient!   Roll Eyes

yep.  you can bet the glitch was to protect some insiders ponzi.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2015, 04:37:09 PM

No really guys there's no contagion.........from Greece  Cheesy

EDIT: very promising that BTC remains independent

EDIT2: front page marketwatch lol: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/greeces-disease-wont-infect-healthy-european-countries-2015-07-08

What contagion?  Everything is fine!

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 04:45:07 PM

No really guys there's no contagion.........from Greece  Cheesy

EDIT: very promising that BTC remains independent

EDIT2: front page marketwatch lol: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/greeces-disease-wont-infect-healthy-european-countries-2015-07-08

just b/c he could get that wrong doesn't mean his entire thesis is wrong.  plus, he's got me as a counter balance. Grin
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 04:58:29 PM

look at this.  80K unconf tx's and 6.76TPS and yet gmax et al says there's no problem.  all that wasted computational work done by full nodes for blocks that will never clear those unconf tx's.  i told you long ago these guys will never even be able to recognize a problem even when it's staring them in the face and even after it's beat them over the head:

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2015, 05:05:25 PM

just b/c he could get that wrong doesn't mean his entire thesis is wrong.  plus, he's got me as a counter balance. Grin

Getting that key premise wrong does in fact mean his entire consequent thesis is wrong.  EG:
I think we're about to see an explosion of bandwidth to the home, because the ongoing financial crisis will get much worse and big companies are investing in infrastructure again. And people LOVE streaming video....

^That^ doesn't make sense.  QED, Gavin explicitly and inseparably tied larger block feasibility to the supposed end of the financial crisis and subsequent future infrastructure investment.

Gavin is right about one thing however.  The sky will not fall because of full blocks.

Now please return to the normal Chicken Little routine.  It would be so quite in here without your panicked squawking.   Wink

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
OROBTC
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 05:14:51 PM

The NYSE down.  The Bitcoin Ecosystem under attack (and yes, it is an attack, all the spamming).  China down.  Greece.

CNBC is now saying that *it appears* that the NYSE freeze-up probably is a somewhat benign software update.  Well, we'll see.

I have preached elsewhere DIVERSIFICATION for those with assets.  But, please count this as my last such comment here.

/OT

And now back to your regular technical programming.  Smiley
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 05:17:29 PM

Getting that key premise wrong does in fact mean his entire consequent thesis is wrong.  EG:
I think we're about to see an explosion of bandwidth to the home, because the ongoing financial crisis will get much worse and big companies are investing in infrastructure again. And people LOVE streaming video....

^That^ doesn't make sense.  QED, Gavin explicitly and inseparably tied larger block feasibility to the supposed end of the financial crisis and subsequent future infrastructure investment.

Gavin is right about one thing however.  The sky will not fall because of full blocks.

Now please return to the normal Chicken Little routine.  It would be so quite in here without your panicked squawking.   Wink

you have no idea what a true fee mkt is.  it's not what we're getting now.  the above graph i just put up shows tremendous stress on Bitcoin usage by new and existing users.  what's ironic is that the continuous stream of full blocks is a reflection of miners begging for bigger blocks so that they can chew through that mempool in an instant.  that "clearing" of the mempool would enforce losses on the spammer.  right now, they can just recycle their spam as it gets deleted every 24 h while still causing damage to the user experience. 

get your head out of your ass.
Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 05:33:06 PM

...  the above graph i just put up shows tremendous stress on Bitcoin usage by new and existing users.  what's ironic is that the continuous stream of full blocks is a reflection of miners begging for bigger blocks so that they can chew through that mempool in an instant.  ...

It is spam attack and with 8MB block it will be worse.

Quote from: Rusty Russell
... if blocks were 8MB: an 8MB transaction with 22,500 inputs and 3.95MB of outputs takes over 11 minutes to hash ....
kazuki49

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 05:41:08 PM

look at this.  80K unconf tx's and 6.76TPS and yet gmax et al says there's no problem.  all that wasted computational work done by full nodes for blocks that will never clear those unconf tx's.  i told you long ago these guys will never even be able to recognize a problem even when it's staring them in the face and even after it's beat them over the head:

So the fix is to happily write these 80k spam transactions into the permanent ledger that we (full nodes) have to keep a copy of forever?

This may be the first false-flag attack on the Bitcoin network, just look how the henchman on this thread is salivating over this controlled crisis to force their botched fork.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 05:48:37 PM

So the fix is to happily write these 80k spam transactions into the permanent ledger that we (full nodes) have to keep a copy of forever?

Yes, initially.

After some volatility and after the spammers figure out they can't jack the mempool anymore the attacks should stop.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 05:52:11 PM

Yes, initially.

After some volatility and after the spammers figure out they can't jack the mempool anymore the attacks should stop.

someone did a calculation:

For example, with 100mb blocks, forcing average transaction fees up to only $0.06 over the course of a year would genuinely cost an attacker over $1billion.
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 05:53:19 PM

...  the above graph i just put up shows tremendous stress on Bitcoin usage by new and existing users.  what's ironic is that the continuous stream of full blocks is a reflection of miners begging for bigger blocks so that they can chew through that mempool in an instant.  ...

... if blocks were 8MB: an 8MB transaction with 22,500 inputs and 3.95MB of outputs takes over 11 minutes to hash ....
worse for the attacker who would be paying 8 x in fees. miners can upgrade there CPU's if they are having problems collecting the fees.

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2015, 05:53:33 PM

you have no idea what a true fee mkt is.  it's not what we're getting now.  the above graph i just put up shows tremendous stress on Bitcoin usage by new and existing users.  what's ironic is that the continuous stream of full blocks is a reflection of miners begging for bigger blocks so that they can chew through that mempool in an instant.  that "clearing" of the mempool would enforce losses on the spammer.  right now, they can just recycle their spam as it gets deleted every 24 h while still causing damage to the user experience. 

Oh, touchy touchy!  You really don't like it when I use facts, logic, and humor to highlight the contradictions and unsupported assertions in your worldview.   Smiley

How precisely does increasing the minimum fee from ~2 to ~5 cents "damage to the user experience?"

Can you explain that as easily as I can explain how undercharging for use of an incredibly valuable service, which consumes ~1.5 days worth of an avg US home's electricity, damages the long term signalling/incentive structures of the system?

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Odalv
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 05:54:07 PM

Yes, initially.

For example, with 100mb blocks, forcing average transaction fees up to only $0.06 over the course of a year would genuinely cost an attacker over $1billion.

Did he calculate how much will cost memory to keep this spam ?
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 05:58:39 PM

Yes, initially.

Your missing the point that the spammer wouldn't even try it at that cost.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 06:01:27 PM

Oh, touchy touchy!  You really don't like it when I use facts, logic, and humor to highlight the contradictions and unsupported assertions in your worldview.   Smiley

How precisely does increasing the minimum fee from ~2 to ~5 cents "damage to the user experience?"

Can you explain that as easily as I can explain how undercharging for use of an incredibly valuable service, which consumes ~1.5 days worth of an avg US home's electricity, damages the long term signalling/incentive structures of the system?

Through lost economic activity from repeated stuck TX's. Users will just quit.

There are people from Greece on reddit who say they won't participate in Bitcoin until the spam issue is fixed.
Odalv
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 06:02:57 PM

Yes, initially.

If your calculation is right then using 1 mb block he has to pay $10 million per year.  (and $100M if we rise fee to $0.6)
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 06:05:07 PM

...  the above graph i just put up shows tremendous stress on Bitcoin usage by new and existing users.  what's ironic is that the continuous stream of full blocks is a reflection of miners begging for bigger blocks so that they can chew through that mempool in an instant.  ...

worse for the attacker who would be paying 8 x in fees. miners can upgrade there CPU's if they are having problems collecting the fees.

That's why there should be no limit at which a spammer can aim for. He'd be shooting in the dark in a futile attempt to jack the mempool all the while losing money to miners who will clear his spam immediately until he capitulates from huge losses never to return.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 06:07:42 PM

Yes, initially.

If your calculation is right then using 1 mb block he has to pay $10 million per year.  (and $100M if we rise fee to $0.6)

No, the damage to the user base in that scenario will kill user growth which is the one thing that will cause value to square over time.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2015, 06:13:23 PM

#Chinameltdown  The end of Chinese false economic prosperity (Austrian perspective)

#EconomicCrisisIsOver  US Mint Runs Out Of Silver On Same Day Price Of Silver Plunges To 2015 Lows

The 'spam issue' in Bitcoin will never be fixed (as you define it) because demand for space in the Mother of all Blockchains will always exceed supply.

Soon, wallets will support dynamic intelli-fees and fancy RBF whatnot.

In the mean time, pay 25 cents or a dollar for higher verification priority if you don't want your tx stuck.

If that's too much money for some broke cheapskates, fuck'em.  They aren't bringing "economic activity" (beyond subsidized freeloading) to Bitcoin in the first place.

@pierre_rochard

Those who would give up essential Decentralization, to purchase a little temporary Adoption, deserve neither Decentralization nor Adoption.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Pages: « 1 ... 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 1394 1395 1396 1397 1398 1399 1400 1401 1402 1403 1404 1405 1406 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 1412 1413 1414 1415 1416 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 [1422] 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 1429 1430 1431 1432 1433 1434 1435 1436 1437 1438 1439 1440 1441 1442 1443 1444 1445 1446 1447 1448 1449 1450 1451 1452 1453 1454 1455 1456 1457 1458 1459 1460 1461 1462 1463 1464 1465 1466 1467 1468 1469 1470 1471 1472 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: