Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:13:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 »
  Print  
Author Topic: LinuxCoin A lightweight Debian based OS with everything ready to go.  (Read 285056 times)
maxll
Legendary

Activity: 1011
Merit: 1006

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 09:47:57 PM
Last edit: September 23, 2011, 05:52:10 PM by maxll

Couldnt get to work rtl8185-based wifi PCI-card with ASUS A8N32SLI mobo when i use two or three PCI-e Radeons in it. Could see wifi networks in NetworkManager, but couldnt connect to any.
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin Swami

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 03:07:47 AM
Last edit: August 30, 2011, 04:12:38 AM by Bitcoin Swami

Hey guys,

I just updated to final.  the start mining command wont even work and Gui miner only recognizes one card.  If I try other cards it spikes the cpu.

I'm sure this has been answered here.  I've accepted the license. So thats not it.  I tried wading through the posts but there's alot of gibberish there.

Thanks
Mike

Edit: I dont mean gibberish in a bad way.

elrock

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 04:44:50 PM

I can't get LinuxCoin to boot on my machine -- only a blinking white cursor on a black screen is displayed.  I suspect this is a display problem rather than a LinuxCoin-specific problem.  Is there a relatively simple way to resolve this, without having to boot into recovery mode or the GRUB menu (the recommended solutions for display problems)?

If there is a way to set up LinuxCoin through SSH and avoid the whole display issue entirely, I'd be more than happy to do it that way.  So far I haven't come across any guides for that.

Thanks for your help.
gnar1ta$
Donator

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 07:54:19 PM

I can't get LinuxCoin to boot on my machine -- only a blinking white cursor on a black screen is displayed.  I suspect this is a display problem rather than a LinuxCoin-specific problem.  Is there a relatively simple way to resolve this, without having to boot into recovery mode or the GRUB menu (the recommended solutions for display problems)?

If there is a way to set up LinuxCoin through SSH and avoid the whole display issue entirely, I'd be more than happy to do it that way.  So far I haven't come across any guides for that.

Thanks for your help.

I had the same issue with 0.2 final and it turned out to be the formatting tool I used to wipe the USB.  Seems to like windows format tool better than others for some reason.  Used the patched unetbootin to load the persistent ISO after that.  Might be worth trying.

Losing hundreds of Bitcoins with the best scammers in the business - BFL, Avalon, KNC, HashFast.
elrock

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 04:27:58 PM

Thanks gnar1ta$ for the suggestion - it worked!  Now I'm experiencing another problem: OpenCL won't recognize my GPUs; only the CPU shows up when I run clinfo.  I have agreed to the icd license and even downloaded and extracted the icd-registration file again just in case, but it made no difference.  Would reinstalling the SDK help?

(I have posted a similar question on the Smartcoin thread but it seems more appropriate here; sorry for the seeming double-post.)
JeroenV1990

Activity: 26

View Profile
September 03, 2011, 02:24:42 PM

STEP-BY-STEP HEADLESS LINUXCOIN
A good step-by-step guide for a noob, especially to someone who've tried to figure this magic and as a result, got lost in the sea of inaccurate and incomplete guides, almost the way I did…

INTRODUCTION

After going through number of "How-To's" and "Guides" I've found on the Internet, then reading trough hundred’s of forum pages, I found myself less wiser, tremendously confused, and far from being able to put together this seemingly simple Linux system – LinuxCoin. After a week of sleepless nights, rerading trough cryptic notes of the other (they claimed those to be complete guides), I've finally got it working.

That’s when I decided to compile my own guide, targeting the noobs (like me) with hope that this will safe someone the head-scratching I had to do.

Please note, this guide is based on a certain release of LinuxCoin and most definitely will not be accurate if used with any consecutive releases.

Thanks and gratitude to saving someone time and efforts can be expressed by sending fractions of BTC to 18KusJBxwh4WyV9t72q1WFppwoVxTs2BeB

REQUIREMENTS

Before attempting to build a BTC mining machine, you must ensure that you understand what is required:

1. Account with a mining pool
2. Create miners (a.k.a. workers) – one miner per GPU
3. 64-bit computer system - CPU, MOBO, RAM, PSU, CASE
4. ATI 4xxx - 6xxx series graphics card(s) – depending on your MOBO, CASE and PSU
5. 4GB USB flash-drive
6. unetbootin-win-549 - download it here
7. linuxcoin-v0.2.1b.iso - download it here
8. live-rw persistent file (2GB) - download it here

CREATE LIVE-ISO ON A USB FLASH-DRIVE

1.   Assemble the 64-BIT computer system, install the cheapest 64-bit CPU you can buy in it, install 2 x 1GB memory sticks (again, cheapest you can find), install the ATI card(s), don't forget to connect the PCI-e power cables, power-it on, set the BIOS to boot from USB and the power option to "last state”

2.   Quick format the USB flash-drive with FAT32, now is the time to label it something meaningful, i.e. LinuxCoin

3.   Using unetbootin, install the live-iso onto the formatted flash-drive, set 128MB for the Ubuntu reboot-files (only if you wondered...)

4.   When finished, don't reboot your PC as unetbootin asks you, instead remove the USB flash-drive, re-insert it, then copy the live-rw persistent file into the root of the USB flash-drive

5.   Now you have the LinuxCoin live-iso ready on the USB flash-drive - it comes pre-loaded with

a.   Latest ATI drivers
b.   Latest ATI SDK
c.   Aticonfig
d.   AMDOverdriveCTRL
e.   Python
f.   Poclbm
g.   Phoenix

All these components pre-installed will make your life so-much-easier and allow you to dive into configuring the system straight away.

You can boot the computer using the freshly loaded USB flash-drive and see if everything loads OK. Don't worry about the error messages you see during the boot - I guess the author of LinuxCoin has had too much on his plate lately to worry about perfection - the truth is this distro works as it is and at the end of the day, it does the job it is designed to do.

The only thing left now is to configure the system to default boot into persistent mode, accept the ATI SDK license (once-off), set the AMDOverdriveCTRL application to clock each card at the desired parameters, write the script needed to start the miner(s) with one command, and set it to start on boot - quite a list of items to do, but the end result justifies it - you will end up with a "headless" LinuxCoin that you can leave unattended.

EDIT CONFIGS AND CREATE .SH FILES

1.   Boot from the newly created USB flash-drive

2.   Select "System Tools" > "ATI SDK License", read it (I mean scroll down until the end), accept it, confirm the registration.

3.   The next few steps will be done through the Terminal window - select "Accessories" > "Root Terminal

4.   Now we will change the syslinux.cfg file so to boot by default into LinuxCoin persistent without the need to select any menu item, aka "headless"

5.   cd /live/image

6.   nano syslinux.cfg

7.   Change the menu title (third line) to something more meaningful like "--- LinuxCoin 0.2.1b ---", replace the section under the "label unetbootdefault" with the one you will find under "label ubnentry2" and then delete the remainder sections - don't worry, you will not need them in the future anyway (you can leave perhaps the memory test menu item…)

Code:
default menu.c32
prompt 0
menu title --- LinuxCoin 0.2.1b ---
timeout 4

label unetbootindefault
menu label --> LinuxCoin (persistent)
kernel /live/vmlinuz
append initrd=/live/initrd.img boot=live config quiet splash persistent rw vga=791 persistent

label ubnentry0
menu label --> Memory Stress Test (loop)
kernel /isolinux/memtest.bin
append initrd=/ubninit - persistent

8.   "Ctrl+x", "y", "Enter"

9.   Now we will determine how many active cards (and their IDs) there are in this system before attempting to create the miner's shell script

10.   AMDOverdriveCtrl -i0

11.   Scroll-up and see how many adapters are "active" and note their numbers (i.e. 0,4,8,12) - you will need to insert those numbers info the appropriate "AMDOverdriveCtrl" lines (i.e. i0, i4, i8, i12) in the next script.

12.   Now we will create a script that will overclock the cards and start all your miners with a single shell command

13.   sudo touch /usr/local/bin/startminers.sh

14.   sudo chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/startminers.sh

15.   sudo nano /usr/local/bin/startminers.sh

Code:
#!/bin/bash

sudo aticonfig --od-enable

sudo AMDOverdriveCtrl -i0 &
sudo AMDOverdriveCtrl -i4 &
sudo AMDOverdriveCtrl -i8 &
sudo AMDOverdriveCtrl -i12 &

cd /opt/miners/phoenix/

./phoenix.py -u http://user1:pass1@bitcoins.lc:8080 -k poclbm DEVICE=0 BFI_INT VECTORS AGGRESSION=5 &

sleep 2

./phoenix.py -u http:// user2:pass2@bitcoins.lc:8080 -k poclbm DEVICE=1 BFI_INT VECTORS AGGRESSION=5 &

sleep 2

./phoenix.py -u http:// user3:pass3@bitcoins.lc:8080 -k poclbm DEVICE=2 BFI_INT VECTORS AGGRESSION=5 &

sleep 2

./phoenix.py -u http:// user4:pass4@bitcoins.lc:8080 -k poclbm DEVICE=3 BFI_INT VECTORS AGGRESSION=5 &

16.   "Ctrl+x", "y", "Enter"

17.   Now we will create an auto-start script, one that will start the startminers.sh script at start

18.   sudo touch /home/user/auto.sh

19.   sudo chmod 755 /home/user/auto.sh

20.   sudo nano /home/user/auto.sh

Code:
#!/bin/bash

xhost +
echo $DISPLAY > /home/user/.display
lxterminal --command "/usr/local/bin/startminers.sh"

21.   "Ctrl+x", "y", "Enter"

22.   Now we will configure the system to start that "auto.sh" script when the desktop loads

23.   cd /home/user/.config

24.   mkdir autostart

25.   sudo chmod 755 /home/user/.config/autostart

26.   sudo nano /home/user/.config/autostart/auto.desktop

Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=coin
Exec=lxterminal --command "/home/user/auto.sh"
Terminal=true

27.   "Ctrl+x", "y", "Enter"

28.   Now we are ready to tune the Overclocking parameters individually for each card

29.   cd /usr/local/bin

30.   startminers.sh

31.   A terminal session will open and (in this case) four instances of the AMDOverdriveCtrl will open on the desktop - just drag them separate so you can work in each of them.

32.   Select "Overdrive", slide the parameter selectors to your liking (in each Low-Med-High section), when ready, press "Set" and "Save defaults", then move to the next card's AMDOverdriveCtrl instance

33.   With all cards set, the machine is ready - fully configured - if you followed this document to the letter and did not made too many spelling or syntax errors in the shell scripts, the thing should work 100%

34.   Click on the On/Off red button in the bottom-right corner, then select reboot.

35.   Wait for the message that says you need to remove the USB flash-drive (DON'T DO THAT!), then just press "Enter"

That's it - hopefully the machine will boot nicely without requiring any interaction and go straight into mining using the overclocked settings, earning you some BTCs in the process.

Spend them wisely or keep them for a better day – that might just be the best investment you’ve ever made!

If you have any comments, you can find me at the forum.bitcoing.org - I am gopher

I've followed this; everytime it reboots, all settings are lost, help?
jondecker76

Activity: 238

View Profile
September 03, 2011, 08:37:14 PM

I finally got the hardware together to put together another miner.

I've installed Linuxcoin to a USB, but when I boot, a welcome screen appears wanting login credentials.
I have tried user: user, pass: live and user: root, pass <blank> but neither will get me in.

This is on a freshly downloaded and installed Linuxcoin 0.2-final

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

thanks

EDIT:
Nevermind, did a reboot, and this time it went straight to the desktop.  Strange

RollerBot Advanced Trading Platform
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=447727.0
BTC Donations for development: 1H36oTJsi3adFh68wwzz95tPP2xoAoTmhC
Math Man

Activity: 150

View Profile
September 03, 2011, 09:12:15 PM

I've followed this; everytime it reboots, all settings are lost, help?

What method did you use to create the persistence?  Did you use Unetbootin to create persistence, or did you put one of the pre-configured persistence files onto your USB drive?  I'm not sure if Unetbootin's method of creating persistence works. 

Check out the wiki if you haven't.  It explains a method to create persistence that has worked for me multiple times.

http://www.linuxcoin.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Persistence
phase

Activity: 49

View Profile
September 03, 2011, 10:04:57 PM

I've installed Linuxcoin to a USB, but when I boot, a welcome screen appears wanting login credentials.
I have tried user: user, pass: live and user: root, pass <blank> but neither will get me in.

Happens sometimes after a crash, if it does, just hit enter and it will proceed to the desktop, no credentials needed.
simonk83

Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 04, 2011, 12:52:37 AM

Any chance you'd be adding a bithopper package to the repo? Smiley
I can't get it to work on LinuxCoin

This'd get me using LinuxCoin for sure Smiley
drgr33n (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 04, 2011, 05:17:38 PM

New version set for release nxt week some time. anything you guys want included send me an email to zarren@linuxcoin.co.uk. The cut off point will be thursday Wink
Bitcoin Swami

View Profile
September 05, 2011, 03:17:48 PM

2 btc to the person who an help me. 

First off on linuxcoin 0.2b.  It will crash sometimes and I can't figure out why.  I dont have my cards fully overcolocked.  Sometimes it'll just be when I move the mouse, It'll just go to the welcome screen and freeze my mining.  One of my other rigs has the same cards and has been running without a problem.  I'm not sure what I did differently. 

I'd really like to install the final version, but the GUI miner wont recognize my other 2 cards.  It does the first one.  It seems to try to mine form my cpu when I try to use the other cards even though it seems to recognize that the cards are there.

Ok hope someone can help me, getting pretty frustrating.  I've tried to get intouch with the linuxcoin creator for a few days but never received a response, would love to give him the btc's since he needs it but I can't wait forever.
elrock

View Profile
September 05, 2011, 04:15:04 PM

I'm experiencing a recurring problem that I hope can be addressed in the next version of LinuxCoin: after one of my two GPUs freezes and triggers a reboot, LinuxCoin (0.2 final version) fails to identify either card and I have to reinstall everything from scratch.  My cards are not seriously overclocked (5850s @ 840 Mhz) and one or the other freezes about once a day.  Having to do a complete reinstall every day is not my idea of productive mining.

In case it helps with diagnostics, below is the error message I get when I try to run Smartcoin after a LinuxCoin reboot.  It appears to be related to OpenCL.

Code:
Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyInvalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1
File "/opt/smartcoin/smartcoin_devices.py", line 5, in <module>
    devices = p.get_devices(device_type=cl.device_type.GPU)
pyopencl.RuntimeError: clGetDeviceIDs failed: device not found
done.
Math Man

Activity: 150

View Profile
September 05, 2011, 06:01:54 PM

First off on linuxcoin 0.2b.  It will crash sometimes and I can't figure out why.  I dont have my cards fully overcolocked.  Sometimes it'll just be when I move the mouse, It'll just go to the welcome screen and freeze my mining.  One of my other rigs has the same cards and has been running without a problem.  I'm not sure what I did differently. 

I'd really like to install the final version, but the GUI miner wont recognize my other 2 cards.  It does the first one.  It seems to try to mine form my cpu when I try to use the other cards even though it seems to recognize that the cards are there.

Ok hope someone can help me, getting pretty frustrating.  I've tried to get intouch with the linuxcoin creator for a few days but never received a response, would love to give him the btc's since he needs it but I can't wait forever.

Please post your full hardware specs. including your video card clocks and power supply brand and wattage. 

You said that your cards aren't fully overclocked.  Are they overclocked at all? If so, one of the cards may not be able to overclock at all without introducing instability problems.

The problem could also be power supply related.  Faulty or inadequate power supplies can produce all sorts of strange behavior.

Have you run Memtest on your RAM?  Ten passes of Memtest without any errors would completely rule out the RAM as an issue, but it takes a long time (depending on the amount of RAM).  Two passes without error should be sufficient as a quick test.

I can't help you much with GUI Miner specifically, as I only use the command line.  However, how are you sure that it recognizes all of your cards (Keep in mind I've never used GUI Miner)?  Does GUI Miner list all of your cards somewhere?  If not, can you post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf?

Have you tried running phoenix or poclbm through the command line?  Are you able to get one of them to recognize and use all of your GPUs?

If this helps at all, please send drgr33n the bitcoins, not me.

Bitcoin Swami

View Profile
September 05, 2011, 06:22:42 PM

Please post your full hardware specs. including your video card clocks and power supply brand and wattage. 

You said that your cards aren't fully overclocked.  Are they overclocked at all? If so, one of the cards may not be able to overclock at all without introducing instability problems.

The problem could also be power supply related.  Faulty or inadequate power supplies can produce all sorts of strange behavior.

Have you run Memtest on your RAM?  Ten passes of Memtest without any errors would completely rule out the RAM as an issue, but it takes a long time (depending on the amount of RAM).  Two passes without error should be sufficient as a quick test.

I can't help you much with GUI Miner specifically, as I only use the command line.  However, how are you sure that it recognizes all of your cards (Keep in mind I've never used GUI Miner)?  Does GUI Miner list all of your cards somewhere?  If not, can you post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf?

Have you tried running phoenix or poclbm through the command line?  Are you able to get one of them to recognize and use all of your GPUs?

If this helps at all, please send drgr33n the bitcoins, not me.

i'm pretty new to linux so really don't know how to run a memtest. My setup is 3 6950's with an raidmax 1000 w power supply.  The max it will let me go up to is around 840 mz I keep them at around 820-825.   The wierd thing is even when I'm not mining.  The linux coin will be booted up, and if I just touch the mouse, it will crash and go into the welcome splash screen asking me for my password. 

As far as the final version with Gui miner, it gives me the choice of all my cards, but only the first one works.  Even though its pointed at the other cards it will spike the cpu and seems like its mining from the cpu.  (it says something like AMD (something) at the bottom of gui miner) I really don't know exactly what it says cause I dont have it loaded right now. 

gnar1ta$
Donator

Merit: 500

View Profile
September 05, 2011, 09:13:21 PM

i'm pretty new to linux so really don't know how to run a memtest. My setup is 3 6950's with an raidmax 1000 w power supply.  The max it will let me go up to is around 840 mz I keep them at around 820-825.   The wierd thing is even when I'm not mining.  The linux coin will be booted up, and if I just touch the mouse, it will crash and go into the welcome splash screen asking me for my password.  

As far as the final version with Gui miner, it gives me the choice of all my cards, but only the first one works.  Even though its pointed at the other cards it will spike the cpu and seems like its mining from the cpu.  (it says something like AMD (something) at the bottom of gui miner) I really don't know exactly what it says cause I dont have it loaded right now.  

Open root terminal, are the cards listed with
Code:
aticonfig --lsa

If not, copy and paste the output from
Code:
cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

In case it helps with diagnostics, below is the error message I get when I try to run Smartcoin after a LinuxCoin reboot.  It appears to be related to OpenCL.

Code:
done.

Are you root when running smartcoin?  If this is over ssh search this thread for magic-cookie - you'll need to run a few commands to get it working, it's here somewhere.

Losing hundreds of Bitcoins with the best scammers in the business - BFL, Avalon, KNC, HashFast.
Blackout

Activity: 196

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2011, 04:31:38 PM

Hi...

Runs on my win 7 desktop but on my laptop crashes and says something X could not find graphics hardware then I am dumped into the linux dir

I am on a msi gx 660r  win 7 64bit    usb 3.0   ati 5870 mobility

http://blackout.com
Insane writings for an Outsane world: http://blackoutsblog.com

Blackout Radio on android or iphone DL TuneIn APP & search for Blackout Radio http://tunein.com/tuner/?StationId=136506

https://secure.btcontilt.com/register.php?referred=Blackout (BTC Poker)
elrock

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 08:15:16 PM

Code:
done.

Are you root when running smartcoin?  If this is over ssh search this thread for magic-cookie - you'll need to run a few commands to get it working, it's here somewhere.

Thanks, there is nothing here about magic cookies but I did get it working again by following the instructions for SSH X11 forwarding on the LinuxCoin wiki.
deti

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2011, 09:58:06 AM

Hi drgr33n,

when I activate your munin-phoenix plugin I get this (and more errors) in the munin-node.log:

Code:
2011/09/10-15:30:03 [12241] Error output from phoenix_accept:
2011/09/10-15:30:03 [12241] No protocol specified
2011/09/10-15:30:03 [12241] Traceback (most recent call last):
2011/09/10-15:30:03 [12241]   File "/etc/munin/getatinumber.py", line 5, in <module>
2011/09/10-15:30:03 [12241]     devices = p.get_devices(device_type=cl.device_type.GPU)
2011/09/10-15:30:03 [12241] pyopencl.RuntimeError: clGetDeviceIDs failed: device not found
2011/09/10-15:30:03 [12241] Error output from phoenix_stats:
2011/09/10-15:30:03 [12241]   File "/etc/munin/getatinumber.py", line 5, in <module>
2011/09/10-15:30:03 [12241]     devices = p.get_devices(device_type=cl.device_type.GPU)
2011/09/10-15:30:03 [12241] pyopencl.RuntimeError: clGetDeviceIDs failed: device not found

If I execute "python /etc/munin/getatinumber.py" over SSH I get the same error until I do:

Code:
sudo su
chmod uog+rw /dev/ati/card*
xauth merge /home/user/.Xauthority
export DISPLAY=:0

after this I get the correct answer executing "python /etc/munin/getatinumber.py". Do you have a suggestion on how to solve this problem with the munin plugin?

drgr33n (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 03:26:10 PM

Just waiting for AMD to catch up on the drivers and LinuxCoin v1.0alpha, here's a quick screen shot of the wallpaper I've just complete. Please remember I'm no graphical designer Cheesy

Hi drgr33n,

when I activate your munin-phoenix plugin I get this (and more errors) in the munin-node.log:

Code:
2011/09/10-15:30:03 [12241] Error output from phoenix_accept:
2011/09/10-15:30:03 [12241] Error output from phoenix_stats:

If I execute "python /etc/munin/getatinumber.py" over SSH I get the same error until I do:

Code:
sudo su
chmod uog+rw /dev/ati/card*
xauth merge /home/user/.Xauthority
export DISPLAY=:0

after this I get the correct answer executing "python /etc/munin/getatinumber.py". Do you have a suggestion on how to solve this problem with the munin plugin?

I'll take a look at this during this week. Thanks for reporting !!
Pages: « 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 »
  Print  

Jump to: