Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:16:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 ... 170 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Tau-Chain and Agoras Official Thread: Generalized P2P Network  (Read 309527 times)
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4861

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 02:40:45 AM

OK, as you say "All this better happen pretty fast" well nothing can happen fast on a decentralized system in comparison to say a soc.
everything i speak about at this scope is local. to run the programming language on a single machine. the logic should happen fast as the runtime may grow exponentially with the length of the code, so we want to push the limits to the max.

So I see no way this can run a modern OS faster than a watch could (actually I'm sure it could not).

a tau based os won't be faster just for the reason it's using our compiler. but once one is able to reason over the code, in a consistently decidable manner, the picture changes. you can get an apriori proof of correctness, security etc all up to formal definitions. you can also reason about performance issues.

You state it is equivalent to idris/coq/agda and they are languages so what you are saying is this will be communicated to by code so I do not see how it can run an OS to begin with, it sounds like it will be a system that can be sent jobs in a que type system, correct? There is nothing wrong with that and it is a sound plan but I cannot equate this model being able to run a precompiled OS. Maybe my understanding of what you are saying is off?

like idris/coq/agda only from logical aspect. they don't have a jit compiler architecture, for example. on tau we try to take the logic as closer to the bare metals.

that all aside the blockchain and dht parts. which of course can be referred from inside the language too.

OK, so just to clarify. As I understand it this system will be able to compute (in a virtualized manner) a OS (probably with a wrapper I would assume that gets compiled on the fly : not sure everything has to be though) but the tradoffs will force such lag that in a real world application there is no way you could use this system as even a desktop? I do understand that for specifically written large scale computations this would be a very viable alternative to a supercomputer. I am trying to nail you down On one thing and I have mentioned that in every post.

Will this be able to run a Linux or M$ OS at an acceptable rate to say write an office Document? I would think it will tkae an hour to move a mouse across the screen even if you don't get kernel exceptions everywhere.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ohad (OP)

Activity: 897
Merit: 1000

http://idni.org

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2016, 02:56:40 AM

OK, as you say "All this better happen pretty fast" well nothing can happen fast on a decentralized system in comparison to say a soc.
everything i speak about at this scope is local. to run the programming language on a single machine. the logic should happen fast as the runtime may grow exponentially with the length of the code, so we want to push the limits to the max.

So I see no way this can run a modern OS faster than a watch could (actually I'm sure it could not).

a tau based os won't be faster just for the reason it's using our compiler. but once one is able to reason over the code, in a consistently decidable manner, the picture changes. you can get an apriori proof of correctness, security etc all up to formal definitions. you can also reason about performance issues.

You state it is equivalent to idris/coq/agda and they are languages so what you are saying is this will be communicated to by code so I do not see how it can run an OS to begin with, it sounds like it will be a system that can be sent jobs in a que type system, correct? There is nothing wrong with that and it is a sound plan but I cannot equate this model being able to run a precompiled OS. Maybe my understanding of what you are saying is off?

like idris/coq/agda only from logical aspect. they don't have a jit compiler architecture, for example. on tau we try to take the logic as closer to the bare metals.

that all aside the blockchain and dht parts. which of course can be referred from inside the language too.

OK, so just to clarify. As I understand it this system will be able to compute (in a virtualized manner) a OS (probably with a wrapper I would assume that gets compiled on the fly : not sure everything has to be though) but the tradoffs will force such lag that in a real world application there is no way you could use this system as even a desktop? I do understand that for specifically written large scale computations this would be a very viable alternative to a supercomputer. I am trying to nail you down On one thing and I have mentioned that in every post.

Will this be able to run a Linux or M$ OS at an acceptable rate to say write an office Document? I would think it will tkae an hour to move a mouse across the screen even if you don't get kernel exceptions everywhere.

still very soon to tell to which extent tau will be used to write an os. tau is only a programming language. complex things like os will take relatively significant time until people will begin to design it to the details.
for now we know that the more we push forward the quality of the product, the more areas it'll be able to cover. i hope it'll reach os too.
that all said,
tau has no problem calling native code (eg dll).
also it can always be used as a component as is written in c/c++ so can always be used from other programs.

Tau-Chain & Agoras
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 03:09:33 AM

still very soon to tell to which extent tau will be used to write an os. tau is only a programming language. complex things like os will take relatively significant time until people will begin to design it to the details.
for now we know that the more we push forward the quality of the product, the more areas it'll be able to cover. i hope it'll reach os too.
that all said,
tau has no problem calling native code (eg dll).
also it can always be used as a component as is written in c/c++ so can always be used from other programs.

Am I correct in assuming the network backbone will equate to a system bus?

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
ohad (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2016, 03:13:41 AM

in the sense of being self defining, namely, everyone run the root code.
but the main usage is not to use only the root but to use networks and application over tau. which can define any (collaborative) behavior they want.

Tau-Chain & Agoras
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 04:03:55 AM

in the sense of being self defining, namely, everyone run the root code.
but the main usage is not to use only the root but to use networks and application over tau. which can define any (collaborative) behavior they want.

IC, Gl. Looking forward to release.

maco144

Activity: 71
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 20, 2016, 12:12:34 AM

What do you guys think of http://www.tezos.com?

Is it comparable to Tau-Chain and Agoras? Once released, will Tau-Chain and Tezos compete, complement each other or neither?

Thanks. Keep up the good work. I really appreciate and admire the work you all do.

So, this is the same project as Tau?
ohad (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2016, 12:15:56 AM

Is it comparable to Tau-Chain and Agoras? Once released, will Tau-Chain and Tezos compete, complement each other or neither?

Thanks. Keep up the good work. I really appreciate and admire the work you all do.

not at all. tau isn't a smart contract language. it's a general purpose language, including being a programming language, contracts, information, know-hows, processes, math, everything.
tauchain is a shared collaborative network to store them all, not only store, but also understand. tau is able to reason over information given in its language.

Tau-Chain & Agoras
kjn311

Activity: 319
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 20, 2016, 04:47:10 PM

Can I run Tau on Ethereum? Grin

I believe the answer is yes. Why not just start off in that direction and give this project more exposure?
ohad (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2016, 04:50:40 PM

I believe the answer is yes. Why not just start off in that direction and give this project more exposure?

because.. eth is an inherently unsafe and low-capacity platform.

Tau-Chain & Agoras
ICOcountdown.com

Activity: 1008
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2016, 04:55:52 PM

Tau is the opposite realm of Ethereum, this is why I keep calling it a "hedge". Tau isn't turing complete it uses decidable language instead of undecidable language.

Foerster

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 20, 2016, 08:02:05 PM

ETH could easily become a sidechain of TAU and still be able to do 99,99% of the stuff it can do now, while Tau and Agoras would be very limited by running on ETH.
redhero

Activity: 362
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 20, 2016, 11:18:11 PM

May the DAO support Tua project through investing in it?
Sam123

Activity: 980
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 23, 2016, 05:02:25 AM

FYI:
Arthur will be Demo of the Tezos alpha in Silicon Valley (CA)
https://secure.meetup.com/register/?ctx=ref
ICOcountdown.com

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2016, 12:42:04 PM

The DAO can support Tau yes, whether it's in its best interest or not is questionable however.

bitfish

Activity: 174
Merit: 100

A Coin A Day Keeps The Cold Away.

View Profile
May 24, 2016, 12:46:15 AM

I doubt that DAO investors would be willing to invest in a project which might weaken Ethereum.  Wink

ohad (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2016, 03:57:56 AM

I doubt that DAO investors would be willing to invest in a project which might weaken Ethereum.  Wink

Ethereum didn't even give us a bounty for finding a very serious security bug in their client (HMC found it and asked to donate the bounty to the project). In contrast to their public bounty program. That specific bug was already fixed btw.

Tau-Chain & Agoras
ICOcountdown.com

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2016, 12:53:25 PM

I doubt that DAO investors would be willing to invest in a project which might weaken Ethereum.  Wink

Ethereum didn't even give us a bounty for finding a very serious security bug in their client (HMC found it and asked to donate the bounty to the project). In contrast to their public bounty program. That specific bug was already fixed btw.

I am sure a DAO can be synthesized on Tau Chain too, since you can program whatever you like on the platform.

Sam123

Activity: 980
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 24, 2016, 05:12:29 PM

I am sure a DAO can be synthesized on Tau Chain too, since you can program whatever you like on the platform.

I believe so, but when: in few months, one year, or more
lexxus

Activity: 309
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 25, 2016, 10:22:13 AM

Will tau chain decouple mining/forging process from theorem proving?  i.e. there will be miners/forgers, provers and, obviously, those who can do both simultaneously. This should be pretty easy to achieve (e.g. by commiting a hash of a proof and then revealing the proof) and will allow concurrent "execution" of contracts.
ICOcountdown.com

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2016, 11:10:22 AM

I believe so, but when: in few months, one year, or more

You can program whatever you want on the platform, so once it is released this option is available to you. In a number of syntaxes. I believe in a couple of months it will be released.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 ... 170 »
  Print  

Jump to: