Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 12:40:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 [121] 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 ... 442 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [DVC]DevCoin - Official Thread - Moderated  (Read 1058409 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
eeh

Activity: 185
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 05:44:23 PM
Last edit: December 08, 2013, 06:28:02 PM by eeh

I've been messing around with automatic feeds, as some of you know.

Hopefully, if everything is set up correctly, any "recent items" on Devtome will auto post to this URL:

http://devcoin.wordpress.com/

I've also set it up to automatically post any updates to unthinkingbit's Charity github. That way, I won't have to F5-bomb the site every day.

This goes along with my other posts dealing with automation of DVC info:

http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=devcoin_prices_ms_excel
http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=if_this_then_that_feeds
http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=devtome_feeds

Additionally, you can have Devtome articles sent to your Kindle or Readability app on your computer or phone by using Readability. This application cleans up links and basically just returns the text in a minimalist, reading friendly format. Set up a http://www.readability.com/ account and install the browser widget in Chrome. Then when you're browsing through Devtome and find an article you want to read later, just click the Readability icon and it's sent to you to read at your convenience.

Another speed saving device is an auto feed from Devtome to your Twitter. Here's the recipe. Just connect your Twitter to it and you're done. https://ifttt.com/recipes/132683

I hope it's helpful.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
smeagol
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 05:48:32 PM

CryptogenicBullion had a big marketing campaign and their facebook page has the second-most likes out of all cryptocurrencies.  They used a lot of advertising mediums.  Should we try some real-world ads?  Some of the ads cost about 10 shares for a 4-week period.

http://www.bluelinemedia.com/
eeh

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 05:49:52 PM

CryptogenicBullion had a big marketing campaign and their facebook page has the second-most likes out of all cryptocurrencies.  They used a lot of advertising mediums.  Should we try some real-world ads?  Some of the ads cost about 10 shares for a 4-week period.

I'll give one of my upcoming shares to this as a donation.
matt608

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 05:58:27 PM

I think we should try to get DVC on BTC38.com, a chinese altcoin exchange.  I hear there is a fee they require for adding a new coin to their exchange, either we could all chip in to pay it or use bounty funds.  Also we need someone to contact them in Chinese explaining the merits of DVC and finding out how much the fee is.
psybits
Legendary

Activity: 1386

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 06:42:20 PM

I've been messing around with automatic feeds, as some of you know.

Hopefully, if everything is set up correctly, any "recent items" on Devtome will auto post to this URL:

http://devcoin.wordpress.com/

I've also set it up to automatically post any updates to unthinkingbit's Charity github. That way, I won't have to F5-bomb the site every day.

This goes along with my other posts dealing with automation of DVC info:

http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=devcoin_prices_ms_excel
http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=if_this_then_that_feeds
http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=devtome_feeds

Additionally, you can have Devtome articles sent to your Kindle or Readability app on your computer or phone by using Readability. This application cleans up links and basically just returns the text in a minimalist, reading friendly format. Set up a http://www.readability.com/ account and install the browser widget in Chrome. Then when you're browsing through Devtome and find an article you want to read later, just click the Readability icon and it's sent to you to read at your convenience.

Another speed saving device is an auto feed from Devtome to your Twitter. Here's the recipe. Just connect your Twitter to it and you're done. https://ifttt.com/recipes/132683

I hope it's helpful.

With eeh's help I have just added a new Devtome RSS feed to autopost to our twitter at: https://twitter.com/Devtome

I will make a FB group with the same set up soon Smiley
eeh

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 06:45:57 PM

I've toyed around with the idea of offering to help publish Devtome articles as ebooks. I raised this with FuzzyBear some time ago.

The service I would offer is:

1. Create an ebook in PDF, epub or mobi of Devtome pages.
2. Create a link to the downloadable version of the ebook and place it on each Devtome page for those who would like the service.

I use Sigil as my editor and Smashwords as the publishing tool. I would use Readmill to distribute the documents on Devtome via a simple HTML link on the Devtome article page. Since the article exists on Devtome already, I would add a common license to the front of each book to further advertise the site. The books *can* be sent on to outlets. That might create more traffic if Devtome is clearly mentioned in each book. This would not generate royalties, but would just create more visibility for DevCoin in general. On the other hand, if the books are only accessible by visiting a Devtome page, it seems like their might be more click-through traffic on individual pages.

Other details like attribution can be handled individually and through PM.

Thoughts?
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 07:42:48 PM

I second this right now would be a perfect time to hit the ads as much as possible! I am about to start my ad campaign in bitcoin pr buzz probaby a 6 or 7 series progression of articles from devcoin essentials to economic theory all highlighting the features of devcoin. I think it will take a week per article so a few months to get them all up as we go.
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 07:46:26 PM

I think we should try to get DVC on BTC38.com, a chinese altcoin exchange.  I hear there is a fee they require for adding a new coin to their exchange, either we could all chip in to pay it or use bounty funds.  Also we need someone to contact them in Chinese explaining the merits of DVC and finding out how much the fee is.

Yes I tried to contact them for this purpose but had a hard time finding their email for the site.. even with translate. Do you have a contact? I think getting some articles out may help in explaining the coin and win some exchanges over but btc38 is a good one for volume.
weisoq

Activity: 720
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 08:51:15 PM
Last edit: December 09, 2013, 12:16:23 AM by weisoq

I've toyed around with the idea of offering to help publish Devtome articles as ebooks. I raised this with FuzzyBear some time ago.

The service I would offer is:

1. Create an ebook in PDF, epub or mobi of Devtome pages.
2. Create a link to the downloadable version of the ebook and place it on each Devtome page for those who would like the service.

I use Sigil as my editor and Smashwords as the publishing tool. I would use Readmill to distribute the documents on Devtome via a simple HTML link on the Devtome article page. Since the article exists on Devtome already, I would add a common license to the front of each book to further advertise the site. The books *can* be sent on to outlets. That might create more traffic if Devtome is clearly mentioned in each book. This would not generate royalties, but would just create more visibility for DevCoin in general. On the other hand, if the books are only accessible by visiting a Devtome page, it seems like their might be more click-through traffic on individual pages.

Other details like attribution can be handled individually and through PM.

Thoughts?
As I understand it Devtome is beginning to generate traffic and revenue. The services you suggest don't, although they might. So although I think they may be good ideas for the future, wouldn't it be counterproductive to make the content available through a means that counteracts the initial medium? I appreciate it's a bit chicken-and-egg, in that what comes first - visibility or hits - but if Devtome is ever to build towards self-sustaining income generation I'd have thought it will require more hits than only from those writing on it. Also, unless you mean you'd manually select articles...snipped...

...Edit: Actually I didn't read that properly when you said 'create ...of devtome pages' & 'place it on each Devtome page for those who would like the service'.
eeh

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 12:28:13 AM

As I understand it Devtome is beginning to generate traffic and revenue. The services you suggest don't, although they might. So although I think they may be good ideas for the future, wouldn't it be counterproductive to make the content available through a means that counteracts the initial medium? I appreciate it's a bit chicken-and-egg, in that what comes first - visibility or hits - but if Devtome is ever to build towards self-sustaining income generation I'd have thought it will require more hits than only from those writing on it. Also, unless you mean you'd manually select articles...snipped...

...Edit: Actually I didn't read that properly when you said 'create ...of devtome pages' & 'place it on each Devtome page for those who would like the service'.

Then it has merit?

I see it as an enhancement to existing pages. Not all, but those who would likely pass a peer rating and are formatted nicely.
Unthinkingbit

Activity: 935
Merit: 1015

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 03:33:23 AM
Last edit: December 09, 2013, 08:21:06 AM by Unthinkingbit

I think we should try to get DVC on BTC38.com, a chinese altcoin exchange.  I hear there is a fee they require for adding a new coin to their exchange, either we could all chip in to pay it or use bounty funds.  Also we need someone to contact them in Chinese explaining the merits of DVC and finding out how much the fee is.

If the fee is small under 5 bitcoins, we'll definitely go for it, over that we'll see. Someone, please find out what the fee is. Whoever does will get four shares.

Edit: Actually, before I promise that we'll pay a high fee, I'd like to see the volume of their altcoins compared to other exchanges like btc-e.

weisoq

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 09:22:45 AM
Last edit: December 09, 2013, 10:03:41 AM by weisoq

Then it has merit?

I see it as an enhancement to existing pages. Not all, but those who would likely pass a peer rating and are formatted nicely.
Honestly I don't know, and I don't know enough about the ebook process, effect on revenue potential and any likely marketing boost to be sure. Perhaps on the basis of an e'book' that is actually just one article each time (or just for actual books), giving each author the option to have readers download that article. But personal opinion is that it's likely to appeal as much to those of lowest quality work as to those of highest. It's open source so I don't see how you'd prevent any articles following that route once the gate is open. One advantage with devtome remaining the sole repository and work in progress is the breadth and depth of appeal, even if that's just to join in writing. That means any general appraisal has to ecompass the whole as well as any individual submission. Breaking it up into individual articles or authors makes that appraisal and risk quite different.

I think the biggest problem is that the idea is most likely to appeal to those who are most proactive with the better articles, and then those who (arguably) overrate their work. If that's true then epublishing works could amount to the effective reduction of hits for those articles that otherwise might drive the most traffic, and marketing those articles that might be best suited to waiting for better proofreading and edits before publishing.

Fin brought the book idea up a while ago and I said something along the lines that just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be done. I tend to still belive that. I'm not sure how duplicating content aside from say focusing on a particular area for a particular audience (eg. e-currency blog or novels if somebody is able to offer real editorial/review skills) helps at this point, but happy to be proven wrong. To me it all comes back to the same point again and again. We cannot presume people will buy dvc under the same motivation as others will earn them, but for earnings and devcoin to remain meaningful buyers are also needed. Devtome offers a means to catalyse revenue and interest for devcoin without necessarily buying devcoin in the usual way being the only way.

* I understood the point of devtome and the % of share allocation to date, as building a model with revenue to invest into supporting DVC value, as well as the wiki itself, and so helping to enable everything else to come. That means pageviews and revenue, the commercial element, are fundamental to success, so I'm not sure changing that dynamic would help.
matt608

Activity: 882

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 10:07:45 AM

I think we should try to get DVC on BTC38.com, a chinese altcoin exchange.  I hear there is a fee they require for adding a new coin to their exchange, either we could all chip in to pay it or use bounty funds.  Also we need someone to contact them in Chinese explaining the merits of DVC and finding out how much the fee is.

If the fee is small under 5 bitcoins, we'll definitely go for it, over that we'll see. Someone, please find out what the fee is. Whoever does will get four shares.

Edit: Actually, before I promise that we'll pay a high fee, I'd like to see the volume of their altcoins compared to other exchanges like btc-e.

According to someone on DGC forum (different coin) who asked btc38.com about this, they said they require a coin to have a minimum difficulty of 2.  As a non-miner I'm not entirely sure what that means, does DVC have a higher difficulty than that?  I don't know if that difficulty level is just for script coins...
weisoq

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 10:14:07 AM

About the advertising plan: Rolling out a campaign will get to the heart of what devcoin is. So let's assume the campaign works as intended and there's lots of interest by open-source developers. People/groups make their case and apply for funding, some are successful and some not.

But to make all that sustainable stuff needs to be in place first: *An efficient way of appraising development in scale (if you're confident this exists then great). *A way to optimise that the people who want and support the projects applying can get involved too. Yes they can buy devcoins but they're a different target group and will not necessarily be responsive to the same incentives as those applying for devcoins, or even notice the campaign. So where at all possible there should be a quid pro quo  - ‘donate in devcoins’ button/note on funding etc.

Otherwise the chain could just stop there. We need the visibility to follow on to users as well as developers - demand - and the specific (potential) users of the specific product or service getting funding not just those who see the advertising who may be a completely different subset.

On the general advertising campaign plan, sorry to be a pragmatist but what it will involve? If there are fiat costs how will dvc/fiat price risk be mitigated if it's funded via shares rather than costed, justified and funded in absolute dvc? This matters when an endeavour might sink or swim on dvc/fiat rates.

Devcoin's long-term appeal advantage over every other crypto is potential breadth of take-up and interest. Unless its staggered, rolling out an ad campaign relies on having an infrastructure of sites and information that interested people can respond to and join in with. For most, particularly with cryptos, we have one shot at getting them onboard so again pragmatically I think we need to be sure the message today fits with the medium today.
Eddie2013

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 02:21:33 PM

Maybe this helps, i found it on an other forum, how to contact them

btc38.com has 1 user on QQ that does English support. He's listed at "Tame" and his QQ # is: 46514171

How to contact btc38.com:

Download www.imqq.com (international client)
-Run the client
-Click the "+" sign
-Click People you may know
-Paste any of the QQ numbers without spaces

What time is it in China? https://www.google.c... is it in china

A total of 5 QQ contacts, all from btc38.com, label them as it is, so you do not get confused!

1 Customer Service QQ: 2790441779
Operations Contact QQ 2921757715
Technical Contact QQ 46514171
Trading Service QQ 2956403426 (This one, it doesn't accept your request right away)
User QQ group 114812341

I hope this will help

Unthinkingbit

Activity: 935
Merit: 1015

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 08:32:52 PM

Maybe this helps, i found it on an other forum, how to contact them

btc38.com has 1 user on QQ that does English support. He's listed at "Tame" and his QQ # is: 46514171

How to contact btc38.com:

Download www.imqq.com (international client)
-Run the client
-Click the "+" sign
-Click People you may know
-Paste any of the QQ numbers without spaces

What time is it in China? https://www.google.c... is it in china

A total of 5 QQ contacts, all from btc38.com, label them as it is, so you do not get confused!

1 Customer Service QQ: 2790441779
Operations Contact QQ 2921757715
Technical Contact QQ 46514171
Trading Service QQ 2956403426 (This one, it doesn't accept your request right away)
User QQ group 114812341

I hope this will help

It does help, that was a great post. Please post or message me with a devcoin address from your computer and you'll get 2/5 of a share.

To everyone who has not received devcoins from generation,

If you posted on this thread, please message me with the post and your devcoin address and I'll send you at least 1/5 of a share. This is to ensure that everyone who helped devcoin gets at least part of a share before the number of shares increases a lot.

eeh

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 02:03:04 AM

* I understood the point of devtome and the % of share allocation to date, as building a model with revenue to invest into supporting DVC value, as well as the wiki itself, and so helping to enable everything else to come. That means pageviews and revenue, the commercial element, are fundamental to success, so I'm not sure changing that dynamic would help.

Good points. Because it could be done, doesn't mean it should. If it's ever needed, feel free to contact me!
weisoq

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 10:43:18 AM

Good points. Because it could be done, doesn't mean it should. If it's ever needed, feel free to contact me!
Just one opinion, not up to me. As I said I think it would act to to the detriment of devtome's model, particularly scaled-up, but evidence on the counterfactual would justify a better discussion than my opinion. I'm all in favour of optimizing through trial and error so you could always try it out if you think the traffic base is large enough for analysis to warrant meaningful results, if nobody objects.

Example: Pick a decent, popular article (like one of yours) and see how it goes. You seem to know a fair bit about relative traffic, hit generation, analytics, duplication tradeoffs, so if the data now exists you could run it as an experiment for a while. See if there's any significant difference in interest and then any resulting knock-on effect of subsequent traffic to the article and others, and whether this sustains or tails off. You'd have to honestly differentiate between traffic from self-optimized efforts, if any, and other for it to mean anything. You'd also need to somehow come up with a method for quantifying bias in any exisiting optimization of other articles that could still impact on the one tested and the link for it (i.e. testing the change not the ability to personally market the change). There are lots of things that could be tested; 'taster' articles, intro snippets etc.

I do think the wordpress site, RSS feed, twitter and generally getting it all out there is great though.
smeagol
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 02:51:22 PM

Any news on the updated client?  I would be willing to touch it up aesthetically (with qt images, etc.).  Smiley
weisoq

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 04:22:49 PM

Nice bit of coverage, it was listed with google alerts for "Bitcoin":
http://www.itnewsonline.com/showprnstory.php?storyid=301359

+1 Nice. Good stuff on the media work.

Smeagol: christmas https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=310280.msg3511715#msg3511715
Pages: « 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 [121] 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 ... 442 »
  Print  

Jump to: