Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:45:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 [132] 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 ... 231 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Armory - Discussion Thread  (Read 521682 times)
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2013, 03:59:45 AM

Got it!  The error was misreported making me think it was a problem with python-twisted, but it was a problem with a the zope.interface module which is used by python-twisted.   The "zope" module doesn't have an __init__.py file and py2exe can't detect it to put it into the exe bundle.  The solution was to make an empty __init__.py in the C:\Python27\Libs\site-packages\zope directory after installing zope.  That's it!  Will need to remember to put that in the build instructions...

248 MB RAM usage on Windows.  Solid.  I guess it's still high for a "regular" desktop app, but it's nothing out of this world anymore Smiley

Importing and sweeping appears to be working correctly.  Wallet restore -- it works, but you have to restart Armory, or do it in offline mode then go online.  There's also some important updates to the backup system that needs to put in before anyone goes and uses it.  So all that is in the works tonight and tomorrow, then I'll create a standalone executable (signed) that people can use for pre-testing and funds recovery.  Should be in the next 48 hours.

Andy (currently my first and only team member) is helping setup a new Windows installer (using NSIS) that will Do The Right Thing when it installs Armory -- no more mysterious errors that require uninstalling and reinstalling Armory.   It will also have more installation options.  And it will look slick Smiley

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
halfawake

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 05:41:46 AM

I have a question about the upcoming RAM-reduction update.  Will there be any option for people to turn off the more hard-drive intensive version of Armory and keep the RAM-intensive version for people who have a lot of RAM?  I don't know if this would be a major pain to code or not, but it'd be a nice feature to have.

I guess, for now you could just keep using the old version.  But going forward, it will be kind of tough to do what you just suggested.  However, there will be lighter-weight modes implemented that will use less RAM and HDD, though, it might have slightly watered-down functionality (not being able view arbitrary transactions or fees on some incoming tx).  I'll keep it in mind, though.  I'm sure there's lot of server applications where the user has more than enough RAM, and would prefer the performance.

At the moment, while there's only one version of Armory that everyone uses (no super-node, regular-node, lite-node split), RAM is much more scarce than HDD space.  But these kinds of things are great to keep in mind so I don't burn any code bridges if there's a chance they will be in high demand in the future (when I've got different modes).

It's probably a seriously non-trivial thing to do, code wise.  Mostly the reason I was curious is that this kind of update would effectively double the hard drive demands of bitcoin since you'd have the 11.9 GB of the blockchain that bitcoin-qt manages, and the (presumably also) 11.9 GB of space that Armory would require from what you mentioned earlier.  24 GB is kind of a lot of space just to be able to keep Armory running happily, even in the era of hard drives with a lot of space.

BTC: 13kJEpqhkW5MnQhWLvum7N5v8LbTAhzeWj
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2013, 06:02:16 AM

It's probably a seriously non-trivial thing to do, code wise.  Mostly the reason I was curious is that this kind of update would effectively double the hard drive demands of bitcoin since you'd have the 11.9 GB of the blockchain that bitcoin-qt manages, and the (presumably also) 11.9 GB of space that Armory would require from what you mentioned earlier.  24 GB is kind of a lot of space just to be able to keep Armory running happily, even in the era of hard drives with a lot of space.

2.2x the blockchain size is a lot of space especially when the blockchain is 50 GB.  But if you're going to go put 128 GB of RAM in your server, it'll be a lot cheaper to just buy a single 2 TB HDD for $80 which will sustain you for another year or two even at absolute maximum blockchain growth.

Also, the alternative is that you only hold 1x the blockchain.  Obviously, it's less than 2.2x, but it's the same order of magnitude, which means if 2.2x is enough for you to be concerned, 1x is still a lot. 

A workaround that doesn't involve any work for me:  make yourself a RAM disk and put all the data on there.  It should be fast as hell.  But of course, everything goes poof on a power-cycle. 

As I said, I'll think about how it might be done.  Especially if DB performance becomes a real issue.  But I might wait until that happens before I put too much effort into the RAM solution.

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
halfawake

Activity: 490

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 07:25:07 AM

2.2x the blockchain size is a lot of space especially when the blockchain is 50 GB.  But if you're going to go put 128 GB of RAM in your server, it'll be a lot cheaper to just buy a single 2 TB HDD for $80 which will sustain you for another year or two even at absolute maximum blockchain growth.

Also, the alternative is that you only hold 1x the blockchain.  Obviously, it's less than 2.2x, but it's the same order of magnitude, which means if 2.2x is enough for you to be concerned, 1x is still a lot. 

A workaround that doesn't involve any work for me:  make yourself a RAM disk and put all the data on there.  It should be fast as hell.  But of course, everything goes poof on a power-cycle. 

As I said, I'll think about how it might be done.  Especially if DB performance becomes a real issue.  But I might wait until that happens before I put too much effort into the RAM solution.

At the rate the bitcoin blockchain grows in size, 2.2x the growth worries me a lot more than 1x growth.  But you're right about cost, it's a lot cheaper to buy a really big hard drive than it is to buy a ton of RAM.  That said, I do think the hard drive solution is the right way to go since hard drive space is generally much more plentiful than RAM. 

BTC: 13kJEpqhkW5MnQhWLvum7N5v8LbTAhzeWj
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 02:51:48 PM

Andy (currently my first and only team member) is helping setup a new Windows installer (using NSIS) that will Do The Right Thing when it installs Armory -- no more mysterious errors that require uninstalling and reinstalling Armory.   It will also have more installation options.  And it will look slick Smiley

Like an MSI package for silent installation? That sounds great!
chrisrico

Activity: 496

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 03:51:05 PM

At the rate the bitcoin blockchain grows in size, 2.2x the growth worries me a lot more than 1x growth.

It really shouldn't. Doubling the storage requirements is mathematically very little. If you can afford to store 10 GB, you can almost assuredly afford to store 20 GB. If you can afford to store 1 TB you can almost assuredly afford to store 2 TB.
cp1

Activity: 616

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 03:56:56 PM

At the rate the bitcoin blockchain grows in size, 2.2x the growth worries me a lot more than 1x growth.

It really shouldn't. Doubling the storage requirements is mathematically very little. If you can afford to store 10 GB, you can almost assuredly afford to store 20 GB. If you can afford to store 1 TB you can almost assuredly afford to store 2 TB.

Yes, while doubling RAM isn't so simple due to limited RAM slots on most personal computers, meaning you have to usually throw some sticks out to add more.  Most personal computers though have room to add an extra HDD.  And I don't think RAM prices scale linearly like HDD storage.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
Roy Badami

Activity: 563

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 09:54:26 PM

It really isn't about what you can afford, it's about what you can do.  If you're on a laptop with an SSD, you have 128GTB, maybe 256GB if it's a new one.

Sure that's enough for now.... but what's this 2TB you're going to plug in to your laptop and how is it going to work?

roy
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2013, 09:57:57 PM

It really isn't about what you can afford, it's about what you can do.  If you're on a laptop with an SSD, you have 128GTB, maybe 256GB if it's a new one.

Sure that's enough for now.... but what's this 2TB you're going to plug in to your laptop and how is it going to work?

roy

The point is that increasing disk space on an arbitrary system is usually much easier then increasing RAM.  Most consumer motherboards currently max out at 32 GB, and the blockchain might be that big 12 months from now.  You can get yourself a crazy $10,000 server that is expandable up to 192 GB of RAM... but even many older consumer PCs now can hook up a HDD through (e)SATA and get 2 TB for less than $100.

Roy Badami

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 10:04:10 PM

roy

The point is that increasing disk space on an arbitrary system is usually much easier then increasing RAM.  Most consumer motherboards currently max out at 32 GB, and the blockchain might be that big 12 months from now.  You can get yourself a crazy $10,000 server that is expandable up to 192 GB of RAM... but even many older consumer PCs now can hook up a HDD through (e)SATA and get 2 TB for less than $100.

Right, but on a laptop increasing either is often hard.

Sure, the RAM reduce work you're doing is appreciated - of course I'd rather have the blockchain on disk than in RAM.  But not everyone has 1TB of anything.  Fortunately 128GB will, I hope, be enough in the short term.

roy
Roy Badami

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 10:10:08 PM

I'd also point out that Armory 0.87 still seems to work on my little old Macbook Air (OS X 10.6; 4GB RAM; 128B SSD).  Not sure it will much longer, and tbh I'm surprised it does now.  Kinda cool that it does though

roy
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2013, 10:12:40 PM

I'd also point out that Armory 0.87 still seems to work on my little old Macbook Air (OS X 10.6; 4GB RAM; 128B SSD).  Not sure it will much longer, and tbh I'm surprised it does now.  Kinda cool that it does though

I believe it still works on Linux and OSX systems with 4GB if you are running nothing else.  Windows has significantly higher resource usage for some reason.  It's most likely that Armory uses the same amount of RAM, but Windows likes to eat up 1 GB of RAM just to use the OS, whereas Linux uses like 100-300 MB. 

Meh, it won't matter shortly Smiley

Roy Badami

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 10:23:16 PM

Is that true?  Pretty sure it used to be the case that Gnome was way more of a resource hog than Windows.

Maybe Linux desktops have got better (and Windows worse) in this respect...
128bpm

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 10:27:29 PM

Sure, the RAM reduce work you're doing is appreciated - of course I'd rather have the blockchain on disk than in RAM.  But not everyone has 1TB of anything.  Fortunately 128GB will, I hope, be enough in the short term.

roy

When the blockchain starts getting into the hundreds of GBs, I suspect that most normal bitcoin users will be using Armory in "lite mode" that doesn't require the blockchain locally at all. 

Fortunately, I think that date is long enough into the future that Alan and co. should have this "lite mode" working well by then.
chrisrico

Activity: 496

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 12:27:54 AM

You can't really compare the size of the blockchain in many years to hard drive sizes today...

Anyway, with Armory storing its data on disk, you can run Bitcoin on another computer, so you're back to just 1x block data on your laptop.
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 02:56:48 AM

I've just successfully compiled my own take at LevelDB on MSVC. I need to bench it, test the x64 build and write a guide so that you can upgrade the project with newer versions as they come.

It's late now and I won't be around on Saturday nor for the best part of Sunday. Expect delivery at best on Sunday night.

Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 07:32:15 AM

roy
I don't think that argument holds up with modern laptops. Most of them have "hotswap" ports, where you just slide a HDD in. You can alternately simply connect an external HDD either via USB, or maybe even wirelessly via BT (not sure if those exist, yet).
Roy Badami

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 08:14:23 AM

Sure, the RAM reduce work you're doing is appreciated - of course I'd rather have the blockchain on disk than in RAM.  But not everyone has 1TB of anything.  Fortunately 128GB will, I hope, be enough in the short term.

roy
I don't think that argument holds up with modern laptops. Most of them have "hotswap" ports, where you just slide a HDD in. You can alternately simply connect an external HDD either via USB, or maybe even wirelessly via BT (not sure if those exist, yet).

Oh, sure I can use an external drive.... but having to lug one around seriously impacts the portability of my computer.  Anyway, none of this is intended to be a criticism of Armory - I'm very appreciative of the work that etotheipi has done and continues to do.  I'm just pushing back against this idea that resources are somehow infinite because you can always upgrade your machine.  That's clearly not true (and if it were there'd be no need for the ram reduction etotheipi is working on).

roy

EDIT: Fortunately I don't think anyone is seriously saying the cost of reducing the RAM usage below 4GB will be to increase the disk usage above 1TB - so this discussion is somewhat academic Smiley
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 10:10:33 AM

When the blockchain starts getting into the hundreds of GBs, I suspect that most normal bitcoin users will be using Armory in "lite mode" that doesn't require the blockchain locally at all.

I just bought a 1 Tb disk for 0.5 btc. When the blockchain gets into the hundreds of Gb, we'll be able to buy 1 Pb disks for the same amount of money and I will happily get a disk to store the blockchain and support the network with a full node.
KS

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 10:21:15 AM

Anything new on the message-signing front? Is it still un-encrypt/encrypt again? I thought jackjack was working on sth but couldn't find an update (or missed it).

@Alan: Congrats! Now that you're incorporated and funded, I can't wait for the LTC version of Armory! Grin
Pages: « 1 ... 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 [132] 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 ... 231 »
  Print  

Jump to: