Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 02:38:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 [628] 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032139 times)
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 06:53:04 AM

I don't think that Gold's role has been played out yet. Taking Cypherdoc's essay as a reference point, all this bailout activity has given market players a tremendous faith in TPTB that the system will continue to survive. This belief is clearly visible in the stock market with very levitated prices and bond yields that make old widows cry.

As for gold, captain FIAT just hasn't lost enough control yet for the passengers to freak out. The concept of digital dollars probably has a significant impact on calming the passengers. Since Gold's tremendous run up from 2001 until 2011, the FED is simply winning this round's perception play. But there will be a final round that will be kind to anything not written on a piece of paper (or centrally stored on a computer).

The smartest are usually way ahead of their time. Just be patient and accumulate in the meantime.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
User705
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 07:57:06 AM

if i'm right that the digital dollar has already defeated gold as a form of money, then it doesn't seem too far fetched at all that a significant portion of the $8T gold market can come into Bitcoin.  maybe even most of it.

Agreed. Gold has already failed us. It has failed because it was so easily supplanted by [digital] dollars and the powers behind them.

It failed because it went digital with the ETF invention.  Wonder what effect bitcoin ETF will be?  There may be a few large bitcoin ETF failures in the future as a learning process.

Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 08:24:47 AM

if i'm right that the digital dollar has already defeated gold as a form of money, then it doesn't seem too far fetched at all that a significant portion of the $8T gold market can come into Bitcoin.  maybe even most of it.

Cool! Thanks for taking the time and effort for sharing your thesis. The digital dollar also doesn't have any annoying little ledger like the blockchain to get in the way of using the <CTL> P key ad infinitum.

i don't know how any gold bug can even argue with me that this defeat hasn't already happened and in fact has been going on for several decades.

gold has never been able to enforce fair interest rates or stop the Fed from printing.  we don't need to know anything else except for the fact that the price of gold has been languishing.  the only means for it to enforce that discipline would be for its price to skyrocket caused by, or as a result of, the masses fleeing to it as a safe haven.

for gold bugs to argue that we should put our hard earned savings into gold in the face of the events of the last few decades is like the NSA saying to trust it with our personal data despite the fact the Eric Snowden just stole all our data.

This only says that the fiat is disconnected from gold, not that gold is not money.

The paper gold is inflating gold. Paper gold might go down the toilet, real gold still valuable. In fact, gold may have a renaissance with the rise of bitcoin; in a world of private, sound money, some may want to hold gold, and use bitcoin as change. Pay for something with gold, get some bitcoin in exchange, if you collect too much bitcoin to your liking, sweep up the change and buy back a gold coin. The characteristics of gold is sufficiently different from bitcoin that they may be used side by side.

Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 09:32:38 AM

Peter Schiff still coming out very strongly against Bitcoin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMfoFlJhcck&list=UUIjuLiLHdFxYtFmWlbTGQRQ

No valid arguments in the whole thing, but it does show his mindset pretty clearly.

Quote from: Peter Schiff
If you're still holding these bitcoins, DO NOT GO DOWN WITH THE SHIP. Go to my gold company, Schiff Gold... if you've got 30 or 40 bitcoins you can buy a few ounces of gold. At some point you may not be able to buy a pack of chewing gum with those bitcoins.
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 12:20:31 PM

The situation we have, with hundreds of different fiat money, all sharing the same traits: Easy to expand base, controlled by politicians, tradable between them,  is inherently instable, IMO.  Due to speculation, they will all converge to one, probably USD.

NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2014, 02:55:24 PM

Peter Schiff still coming out very strongly against Bitcoin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMfoFlJhcck&list=UUIjuLiLHdFxYtFmWlbTGQRQ

No valid arguments in the whole thing, but it does show his mindset pretty clearly.

If you're still holding these bitcoins, DO NOT GO DOWN WITH THE SHIP. Go to my gold company, Schiff Gold... if you've got 30 or 40 bitcoins you can buy a few ounces of gold. At some point you may not be able to buy a pack of chewing gum with those bitcoins.

LOL,

Keep in mind who is on the other side of that trade for our "chewing gum money".
(He is)

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
devphp

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 02:58:05 PM

LOL,

Keep in mind who is on the other side of that trade for our "chewing gum money".
(He is)

Doesn't he use Bitpay to convert bitcoins to fiat?
shields

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 03:05:56 PM

but even major countries like Germany can't seem to get at their gold stores at the Fed when they want to.

I find this hilarious, as people claim we should have a crypto backed by gold, but it's clear how futile this idea is when even Germany's gold is not backed by gold it would seem. Backing is just a promise that may or may not be honored.

If you liked this post -> 1KRYhandiYsjecZw7mtdLnoeuKUYoGRkH4
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 03:09:58 PM

https://twitter.com/jgarzik/status/514422905808359424
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 03:11:21 PM

LOL,

(He is)

that's what he says.

the real question is whether you think he's as stupid as he sounds.
devphp

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 03:13:55 PM

Not sure why Jeff is so concerned about NXT if it's just a scamcoin, one of many others Smiley
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 03:14:46 PM

so yes, the question remains, will BABA top tick the stock mkt?

sell it off baby, sell it off:

and yes, i do think we have an excellent chance at bottom ticking Bitcoin:

shields

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 03:16:12 PM

cypherdoc I think you're maybe even over-analyzing why dollars beat gold as money. I suspect all it took was a new generation born into dollars not backed by anything. I'm middle aged and never was under any illusion fiat was backed by anything as I grew up, I never even saw gold in coin or bullion form in person until I bought a couple coins last year. For me growing up gold as money was something only in history books. Fiat was what I saw, you earned it and you spent it. Since inflation is generally so gradual in 1st world countries you don't notice it, and take it for granted.

In summary, all it takes is for people that used gold as money to die off, and for dollars to be 'good enough' as money for the average person.

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 03:31:06 PM

cypherdoc I think you're maybe even over-analyzing why dollars beat gold as money. I suspect all it took was a new generation born into dollars not backed by anything. I'm middle aged and never was under any illusion fiat was backed by anything as I grew up, I never even saw gold in coin or bullion form in person until I bought a couple coins last year. For me growing up gold as money was something only in history books. Fiat was what I saw, you earned it and you spent it. Since inflation is generally so gradual in 1st world countries you don't notice it, and take it for granted.

In summary, all it takes is for people that used gold as money to die off, and for dollars to be 'good enough' as money for the average person.

that's clearly a factor as well as even i stated in this thread before.  the reasons are multifactorial no doubt.  this thread is long b/c there are lots of different ideas as to why it is happening and we are just trying to flush them all out in different ways and with different nuance.

i still think digital dollars and the speed with which they can be teleported to a crisis region to prevent massive dollar debt defaults is clearly a reason that enhances stability and recovery.  gold can really only go up when there is instability and fear.  whether you call it foul play, manipulation, or moral hazard doesn't matter.  the main point being that it has defeated any significant advancement in the gold price by stopping any normal gold flows b/c gold is just too slow.

furthermore, i still think this dollar digitalization, or dollar hegemony if you prefer, is causing deflation on a broader scale.  commodities continue to fall in price reflecting declining demand.  the lack of wage increases for the broader population makes things too expensive for most.  

how can Bitcoin help in deflation?  by bringing fairness and mathematics to the table and by removing corruption and a small, elitist group of counterfeiters.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 03:40:08 PM

lots of squeeze potential:

shields

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 04:08:14 PM

that's clearly a factor as well as even i stated in this thread before.  the reasons are multifactorial no doubt.  this thread is long b/c there are lots of different ideas as to why it is happening and we are just trying to flush them all out in different ways and with different nuance.

i still think digital dollars and the speed with which they can be teleported to a crisis region to prevent massive dollar debt defaults is clearly a reason that enhances stability and recovery.  gold can really only go up when there is instability and fear.  whether you call it foul play, manipulation, or moral hazard doesn't matter.  the main point being that it has defeated any significant advancement in the gold price by stopping any normal gold flows b/c gold is just too slow.

furthermore, i still think this dollar digitalization, or dollar hegemony if you prefer, is causing deflation on a broader scale.  commodities continue to fall in price reflecting declining demand.  the lack of wage increases for the broader population makes things too expensive for most.  

how can Bitcoin help in deflation?  by bringing fairness and mathematics to the table and by removing corruption and a small, elitist group of counterfeiters.

Yeah the digital dollar was a significant improvement to 'dollar' technology. Fiat in general tended to gradually improve in other ways too over time  - smaller notes and coins, better counterfeit prevention etc, but the jump to digital - ATM machines, credit cards etc all helped push it further ahead of gold in practicality terms.

An interesting thought about the digital dollar though is that it helps the transition to crytpo. Kids growing up today will be used to digital money, they won't look on digital as a replacement for phsyical just as I didn't look at fiat as a replacement for gold - they'll grow up with the normality that digital balances on a screen are their money. The mental jump from digital fiat to digital cryptos is a small one from there.

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 04:17:31 PM

Yeah the digital dollar was a significant improvement to 'dollar' technology. Fiat in general tended to gradually improve in other ways too over time  - smaller notes and coins, better counterfeit prevention etc, but the jump to digital - ATM machines, credit cards etc all helped push it further ahead of gold in practicality terms.

An interesting thought about the digital dollar though is that it helps the transition to crytpo. Kids growing up today will be used to digital money, they won't look on digital as a replacement for phsyical just as I didn't look at fiat as a replacement for gold - they'll grow up with the normality that digital balances on a screen are their money. The mental jump from digital fiat to digital cryptos is a small one from there.

yes, and ApplePay just served to further legitimize that trend.  i find it interesting that they reopened their app store to Bitcoin wallets only 1-2 mo before their announcement.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 04:19:24 PM

yay to the US of A!

Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 04:21:13 PM

LOL,

(He is)

that's what he says.

the real question is whether you think he's as stupid as he sounds.

It sounds to me like he is desperate to short gold. Not yet bull on Bitcoin.

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
shields

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 04:25:59 PM

yes, and ApplePay just served to further legitimize that trend.  i find it interesting that they reopened their app store to Bitcoin wallets only 1-2 mo before their announcement.

They would not have released ApplePay if they did not think it could compete with and beat Bitcoin. And if they think that, then they feel that the wallet apps on the phone are not a threat to their ApplePay - it was bad PR and it was turning some of their users away, I guess they feel the trade off of allowing them is worth it.

Pages: « 1 ... 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 [628] 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: