Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:38:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 [419] 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312366 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2015, 02:41:15 AM

Your identity is not stored. What is stored are the transactions that move coins around, and the relationships between those transactions. Could that possibly be compromised in the future? Sure, anything could possibly be compromised.

The public transactions in bitcoin are, well, public, and can be traced and used against you. The perfect example is the crack down of silck road, in which public blockchain of bitcoin played a key role:

https://coincenter.org/2015/04/silk-road-corruption-case-shows-how-law-enforcement-uses-bitcoin/

n00b question:

If it's so easy to trace why do we continue to see scams of considerable amounts (many many 50+ btc) go with the slightest hint of consequence?

I thought that myth died with Evolution and BTCe?

The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
owm123

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 02:55:00 AM

Your identity is not stored. What is stored are the transactions that move coins around, and the relationships between those transactions. Could that possibly be compromised in the future? Sure, anything could possibly be compromised.

The public transactions in bitcoin are, well, public, and can be traced and used against you. The perfect example is the crack down of silck road, in which public blockchain of bitcoin played a key role:

https://coincenter.org/2015/04/silk-road-corruption-case-shows-how-law-enforcement-uses-bitcoin/

n00b question:

If it's so easy to trace why do we continue to see scams of considerable amounts (many many 50+ btc) go with the slightest hint of consequence?

It nowhere says it is "easy". For the silk road it took two years to take it down. But once you can identify who a given bitcoin address belongs to, you can check this person's all transaction for that address, who he/she sent the bitcoins (i.e. which addresses), which addresses the bictoins were deposited on that address, etc. Think of a bitcoin address like a username on this forum. Once the username is linked to your real name, someone can easily check all your past posts. Here you can at least delete your past posts, but in a public blockchain, you cant delete your past transactions. So if you sent your bitcoin address using, e.g. gmail, immediately google or nsa or whoever has access to your gmail account, can start linking your real persona with the bitcions for the address, and so on.

There are off course ways to minimize this issue (e.g. generating new addresses all the time, mixing services), but bitcion as itself , does not provide such a future.

Bitcoin is NOT anonymous: http://www.bitcoinisnotanonymous.com
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 07:49:13 AM

What kind of revamp and why?

Look at the post history. Obvious sigspam.

You know what would be a nice thread feature? Disable signatures checkbox.

Maybe (eventually)  in the new forum software  Wink

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
shitaifan2013
Legendary

Activity: 879
Merit: 1000

monero

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 08:09:17 AM

morning!

I was checking bing's search results for "monero"  Grin

and this is on the first page: http://www.cashguard.com/Solutions/Monero/

thought it is a funny find and share it. feel free to delete @smooth if it is off topic too much.

thefunkybits
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 11:20:57 AM

I hope to see an increase in price of XMR after the ETH hype is all over. In the meantime, I'll just buy cheap coins while its price lasts.  Smiley

ETH could very well go for a good second run here. I'm pretty bullish on both XMR and ETH right now

and here we go...let see if XMR can keep up with ETH
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4891

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 11:29:11 AM

I'm not even sure what to make about this comment about shelf life. This is not a dried food product in a box. Development is ongoing and improvements continue to be made. A clear defficiency, for example, are leakages that occur due to no IP network obfuscation at all. That's why we are tracking the i2p developments on their C++ implementation and plan to integrate that ASAP. (BTW, did anyone see that Bitcoin Core recently got the ability to seamlessly run as a Tor hidden service? Nice work by the Bitcoin devs!) These are not perfect solutions of course, and we're all hard at work to make them even better.

No one is promising that any specific technology is the ultimate solution for all time. If they do, grab your wallet and run the other way.

Referring to Quantum computing I would guess. NSA has suite B protocols now so apparently they are very concerned. If this coin wants to be the premier Anon coin then it damn better be very concerned as well. If for nothing else than appearances sake.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 06:04:12 PM

Don't need it for the thread if we would all take advantage of it at the profile level.  I've had sigs blocked for years, and it cleans up the forum nearly as much as ignore does.   Well,  not quite.  But it helps Wink
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 06:09:46 PM

morning!

I was checking bing's search results for "monero"  Grin

and this is on the first page: http://www.cashguard.com/Solutions/Monero/

thought it is a funny find and share it. feel free to delete @smooth if it is off topic too much.

Wow.  Low budget.  I hadn't realized that proofing/editing was such an insurmountable expense.
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2015, 06:26:41 PM

Don't need it for the thread if we would all take advantage of it at the profile level.  I've had sigs blocked for years, and it cleans up the forum nearly as much as ignore does.   Well,  not quite.  But it helps Wink

wow, thanks for that. Also in those settings I came across the "hide avatars", which I thoroughly enjoy. Indeed, I started using bitcointalk when the avatars were disabled, and really wasn't a fan when they came back. But now everyone simply has a name again. Marvelous.

And, as always, I speculate bananas. Well, lets actually look at the prices here..... woof 46.7 cents at 0.00205... looks like bitcoins bouncing on that 200 level. As far as I can tell, still no word on how bitcoin is going to handle its blocksize problem, and their politics are still offputting to me. Watching maxwells video that I posted on the main thread has me convinced that at least he is aware of the implications of traceability in the bitcoin blockchain... I don't know if anyone noticed, but the video was 1/3 introduction, 1/3rd all of the other elements, and then 1/3rd confidential transactions. So that'll be interesting to see how that pans out.

It will be interesting to see how the price reacts to the release of the new binaries, whenever that happens, which will be soon, if anyone's following github. 0MQ in development branch!!!! What will this new release have in it? Exciting times.

But back to the bananas.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 09:05:36 PM

soon has lost all of its original meaning.

I now take it to be the literal meaning of "anytime now".

As far as bananas, we are down to one species that can be shipped worldwide.  I have no idea what we will do when that one is also gone.
BrinK

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 11:45:10 PM

n00b question:

What myth?

generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2015, 11:55:05 PM

n00b question:

What myth?

GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2015, 01:35:13 AM

soon has lost all of its original meaning.

I now take it to be the literal meaning of "anytime now".

As far as bananas, we are down to one species that can be shipped worldwide.  I have no idea what we will do when that one is also gone.

A good point. I often ponder how the Big Mike actually tasted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gros_Michel_banana

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 10:57:24 AM

Glanced at the charts. The support of the uptrend seems to be at about 0.00188 now. We haven't tested it yet, I think it would hold in the event of a selloff.

To the upside, 0.00265 is a strong resistance now. My belief is that the strongness means that it will keep the lid on price psychologically and from a distance (that it does not rise even close), but when it is assaulted, it will fall at the first try.

To an accumulator, the latest developments have removed the FOMO once again, and the accumulation zone is around 0.002, and several colleagues seem to have noticed the same.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 07:04:36 PM

Hey, can I ask this community for some advice?  If you don't know, I'm gearing up to try a decentralized fiction project soon...  The first of its kind.   The tl;dr is that I have a written, edited and illustrated book that will be given away for free.  At the end will be bitcoin and Monero addresses fans can use to contribute crypto towards the project.  Not only will the donations be used to help decide what happens next, but also will be used to pay/compensate writers, artists, and editors for future development in this fictional world.  The hope is that this project will become self sustaining and grow on its own. 

For more info, check here:  https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3ing5h/labrys_will_be_launched_on_september_28th_on_the/ 

Your advice please: 

1. It is my intention to reinvest the overwhelming majority of crypto donations back into the project.  I also hope to be as open as possible about where the donations are going.  To this end I propose I will keep 20% of all donations for original authorship and ongoing project management.  80% goes back as compensation for future writing, art, etc.  I feel like this is an extremely fair split that will give everyone involved a good feeling about donating.  What do you think? 

2. I recently found that it is difficult to have more than one Monero address per client (if my understanding is correct)?  My original idea was to have seven bitcoin addresses at the end of the book and seven Monero addresses...  Is this unreasonable?  Should I not expect to be able to realistically manage more than one Monero address until a robust GUI implementation is put into place? 

Thanks for your advice.  This is a tremendous undertaking, and the first of its kind so I am sure there are many pitfalls ahead of me.  However I feel that if done properly this may be another killer 'app' (like Crypto Kingdom) that helps bring cryptocurrency into the mainstream.

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 07:14:18 PM

Hey, can I ask this community for some advice?  If you don't know, I'm gearing up to try a decentralized fiction project soon...  The first of its kind.   The tl;dr is that I have a written, edited and illustrated book that will be given away for free.  At the end will be bitcoin and Monero addresses fans can use to contribute crypto towards the project.  Not only will the donations be used to help decide what happens next, but also will be used to pay/compensate writers, artists, and editors for future development in this fictional world.  The hope is that this project will become self sustaining and grow on its own. 

For more info, check here:  https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3ing5h/labrys_will_be_launched_on_september_28th_on_the/ 

Your advice please: 

1. It is my intention to reinvest the overwhelming majority of crypto donations back into the project.  I also hope to be as open as possible about where the donations are going.  To this end I propose I will keep 20% of all donations for original authorship and ongoing project management.  80% goes back as compensation for future writing, art, etc.  I feel like this is an extremely fair split that will give everyone involved a good feeling about donating.  What do you think? 

2. I recently found that it is difficult to have more than one Monero address per client (if my understanding is correct)?  My original idea was to have seven bitcoin addresses at the end of the book and seven Monero addresses...  Is this unreasonable?  Should I not expect to be able to realistically manage more than one Monero address until a robust GUI implementation is put into place? 

Thanks for your advice.  This is a tremendous undertaking, and the first of its kind so I am sure there are many pitfalls ahead of me.  However I feel that if done properly this may be another killer 'app' (like Crypto Kingdom) that helps bring cryptocurrency into the mainstream.

Regarding [2], see comments in this reddit thread -> https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/3ixusi/generating_additional_addresses/. Perhaps two addresses will be sufficient as well.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
bitebits
Legendary

Activity: 2211
Merit: 3178

Flippin' burgers since 1163.

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 09:26:26 PM

Hey, can I ask this community for some advice?  If you don't know, I'm gearing up to try a decentralized fiction project soon... 

Awesome move americanpegasus, will definately follow your/our project!

- You can figure out what will happen, not when /Warren Buffett
- Pay any Bitcoin address privately with a little help of Monero.
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 10:48:18 PM

I don't know your level of computer skills but I have dozens of monero wallet files. Never had a problem managing it.
owm123

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 01, 2015, 07:32:34 AM

Glanced at the charts. The support of the uptrend seems to be at about 0.00188 now. We haven't tested it yet, I think it would hold in the event of a selloff.

To the upside, 0.00265 is a strong resistance now. My belief is that the strongness means that it will keep the lid on price psychologically and from a distance (that it does not rise even close), but when it is assaulted, it will fall at the first try.

To an accumulator, the latest developments have removed the FOMO once again, and the accumulation zone is around 0.002, and several colleagues seem to have noticed the same.

So... this is good or bad?

Bitcoin is NOT anonymous: http://www.bitcoinisnotanonymous.com
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
September 01, 2015, 09:23:50 AM

So... this is good or bad?

Good and bad in markets are elusive. I prefer to adjust my position always based on the current price, in relation to the information I have about the asset. In practice this means to eliminate hope. When I start hoping that the price would go up or down, I normally get disappointed and also lose money. If I adjust the position such that it does not matter whether it goes up or down, that I can act in both cases, this will lead to profitable investing in the long run.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
Pages: « 1 ... 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 [419] 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: