Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:19:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 [448] 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312368 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 10:18:05 PM

@futureofbitcoin: Blocktrail asks a premium for their minted coins, hence my post :-)

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
fartbags
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 11:43:25 PM

Retweet this to get some speculative trading analysis done by professionals:
https://twitter.com/jessecouch/status/646747329781964801

XMR looks like a pretty good buy and is a fantastic coin.

Nice getting this out there. I'm doing some 2.5x margin trading on poloniex with this coin. I'm going long.

fartbags
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 11:44:07 PM

Retweet this to get some speculative trading analysis done by professionals:
https://twitter.com/jessecouch/status/646747329781964801

XMR looks like a pretty good buy and is a fantastic coin.

Nice getting this out there. I'm doing some 2.5x margin trading on poloniex with this coin. I'm going long.

I hope coinigy says im correct! Is it going to be on the show in 2 hours?

box0214

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 11:47:22 PM

how does nxt's upcoming coin shuffling feature compare to monero's? whats the pros/cons of each ?
Johnny Mnemonic

Activity: 795
Merit: 514

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 12:17:56 AM

You guys keep talking about governments creating/enforcing black lists. Governments don't have to enforce any such blacklist for there to be one. Companies like Chainalysis will offer address screening/validation services that merchants will choose to adopt, not because they are required to, but for liability purposes. It's simply a wise legal decision that protects them from lawsuit.

That way if someone steals 10,000 bitcoins and funnels it through XYZ business, XYZ can say "don't blame us! We took these security measures and all our transactions are verified through the Chainalysis/Coinalytics/whatever gateway to be free of suspicious activity." Third party services are some of the easiest ways for businesses to limit their liability and pass responsibility to someone else, so please don't tell me that MSBs and merchants won't willingly use chain analysis services for payment verification in the future.

The bottom line is that if a currency is not fungible, you can't expect everyone to pretend that it is.
wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 12:23:26 AM
Last edit: September 24, 2015, 01:34:23 AM by wpalczynski

You guys keep talking about governments creating/enforcing black lists. Governments don't have to enforce any such blacklist for there to be one. Companies like Chainalysis will offer address screening/validation services that merchants will choose to adopt, not because they are required to, but for liability purposes. It's simply a wise legal decision that protects them from lawsuit.

That way if someone steals 10,000 bitcoins and funnels it through XYZ business, XYZ can say "don't blame us! We took these security measures and all our transactions are verified through the Chainalysis/Coinalytics/whatever gateway to be free of suspicious activity." Third party services are some of the easiest ways for businesses to limit their liability and pass responsibility to someone else.

The bottom line is that if a currency is not fungible, you can't expect everyone to pretend that it is.

Cant believe people are still pretending Bitcoin is fungible.  It is a lot of things but certainly not that.  A whole industry has sprung up around taint/blockchain analysis.

onemorexmr

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 01:01:42 AM

That way if someone steals 10,000 bitcoins and funnels it through XYZ business, XYZ can say "don't blame us! We took these security measures and all our transactions are verified through the Chainalysis/Coinalytics/whatever gateway to be free of suspicious activity." Third party services are some of the easiest ways for businesses to limit their liability and pass responsibility to someone else.

Cant believe people are still pretending Bitcoin is fungible.  It is a lot of things but certainly not that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp39qSdyTc4

XMR || Monero || monerodice.net || xmr.to || mymonero.com || openalias.org || you think bitcoin is fungible? watch this
XMRpromotions

Activity: 336

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 01:35:40 AM
Last edit: September 24, 2015, 02:04:00 AM by XMRpromotions

how does nxt's upcoming coin shuffling feature compare to monero's? whats the pros/cons of each ?

coinshuffle can be compared to an improved version of coinjoin and is just another form of mixing. nxt would be better off gaining the advantages of cryptonote privacy by integrating bbr into supernet as quickly as possible. Their emphasis on promoting nxt and btcd tech instead seems to be for the purposes of making money from the coins they own more of instead of using the best tech they have available.

Monero has absolutely nothing to worry about in terms of a privacy tech war with nxt.

If you want a more technical overview of coinshuffle start here:
http://crypsys.mmci.uni-saarland.de/projects/CoinShuffle/

Don't buy Monero: https://twitter.com/MoneroPromotion/status/746006420508729344

XMR: 43hPTYyKarCTWyh4ZnMVn8AtFeEmtzTXo3Y6TGGMV26BWonJ4tpR7eP9RkUDYQbvg6LbrnMXWfghddE NGtvKxr7B5oML4qd
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2015, 02:25:30 AM

To comment on a theme that makes me feel better about my XMR holdings: People who think no one cares or don't care themselves about privacy/fungibility, don't see Monero as special. People who care about privacy/fungibility or are knowledgeable about the subject do see Monero as special.  

Smart consumers will buy based on these factors:

1. The best solution (By all expert accounts, Monero is the best privacy solution available--though AEON, from I've read, is up there too, but lacks the market cap to fulfill a large transaction quickly and loses #3 in a close race).

2. The most cost effective solution (Monero should be cheaper than mixers and other solutions, but may be a wash due to having to use a third party like xmr.to or shapeshift for most purchasing. Though if they are tied in costs, you should chose the XMR option as it wins #1).

3. The solution they can afford (the coins have no premium, so unless you are sending a very large amount, your transaction should be sending 1 dollars worth of XMR or BTC for 1 dollars worth of XMR or BTC. So for small transactions it is a wash. And for large transactions BTC still enjoys a comfortable lead).

4. The solution they know about (hands down BTC wins this one).

This list is by know means comprehensive. But what you should notice is as Bitcoin loses fungibility (or the deficiency becomes more apparent) 1 and 2 go more and more to Monero. And as 1 and 2 go more and more to Monero, Bitcoin's lead in 3 and 4 becomes less and less (paying premiums on "new" or "washed-clean" coins and more and more people looking for a better/cheaper solution). This is why fungibility matters to an investor.

Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4892

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 02:48:28 AM

... No one cares about fungibility. They care whether their money can be spent.

This is what we are trying to explain to you. Fungability assures no coin can be discerned from another and therefore cannot be blocked from being spent. I think maybe you are misinterpreting the meaning of fungability as it relates to currencies?

The main point is, can my money be used for services I want/need to use? If BTC-e wants to lose customers, they are free to do so. It'll be a long time before all or even most governments and companies come to an agreement on which coins to black or whitelist.

We agree that that is the main point, what your not seeing is that with a fungable asset no entity can choose to not accept some of an asset without accepting all of it. Maybe I'm not being clear here, I'll let others explain this concept from here on out.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 04:35:10 AM

@futureofbitcoin: Blocktrail asks a premium for their minted coins, hence my post :-)

what kind of premium we talking?

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 04:39:55 AM

That way if someone steals 10,000 bitcoins and funnels it through XYZ business, XYZ can say "don't blame us! We took these security measures and all our transactions are verified through the Chainalysis/Coinalytics/whatever gateway to be free of suspicious activity." Third party services are some of the easiest ways for businesses to limit their liability and pass responsibility to someone else, so please don't tell me that MSBs and merchants won't willingly use chain analysis services for payment verification in the future.

You just made me think of when a theft happens there is a window of opportunity to send coins to businesses/merchants to trade or cash them out.

That window of time does exist as not everyone will have an updated BLACKLIST to reference.

What it comes down to is what is the process of blacklisting a theft that happened 2 minutes ago and you did not hear about it and you are one of the bigger chain analysis companies/sites that provides such a service?

Sounds like a thief could do something in that window of opportunity to cash out or trade coins for things/money before that service updates their blacklist.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

generalizethis
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2015, 04:44:31 AM

You just made me think of when a theft happens there is a window of opportunity to send coins to businesses/merchants to trade or cash them out.

That window of time does exist as not everyone will have an updated BLACKLIST to reference.

What it comes down to is what is the process of blacklisting a theft that happened 2 minutes ago and you did not hear about it and you are one of the bigger chain analysis companies/sites that provides such a service?

Sounds like a thief could do something in that window of opportunity to cash out or trade coins for things/money before that service updates their blacklist.

Wonder if some companies will adopt a "wait and see" approach on big transactions--I know I would.

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 04:48:11 AM

Wonder if some companies will adopt a "wait and see" approach on big transactions--I know I would.

What would they be waiting for to see?

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

generalizethis
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2015, 05:04:16 AM

What would they be waiting for to see?

To see if the analytic software white or black lists them. IE. brown listing coins over certain value threshold.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2015, 06:23:50 AM

There are Gold Bugs on my facebook page that are technology savvy, and aware of the Fiat ponzi scam, yet still refuse to acknowledge crypto. It reminds me what a peculiar type of brain you need in order to be on here and be aware of Monero.

Gold/silver bug = cognitive elite

Bitcoin/Monero holder = cognitive royalty

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2015, 06:37:40 AM

People who think no one cares or don't care themselves about privacy/fungibility, don't see Monero as special. People who care about privacy/fungibility or are knowledgeable about the subject do see Monero as special.  

Fuck the sheeple; they will fall in line behind us bellwethers.  Asymmetry is our side.  That's why small groups of "stubborn" committed people can change the world.

https://twitter.com/nntaleb/status/638525850053382144

https://twitter.com/nntaleb/status/637617677708697600

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
owm123

Activity: 392

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 08:16:55 AM
Last edit: September 24, 2015, 08:34:47 AM by owm123

what kind of premium we talking?

i think he talks about this:
http://cointelegraph.com/news/114806/mint-exchange-service-for-newly-mined-coins-rebuffs-bitcoins-fungibility

from the article:

"coins that are awarded to the miner of a new block through the coinbase transaction – are worth more than used ones."

and

"BlockTrail currently charges an additional 10% for newly mined bitcoins".

Bitcoin is NOT anonymous: http://www.bitcoinisnotanonymous.com
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 08:40:04 AM

When people did not trust USD (free banking era, late 1800s), it was common to make debts payable in gold.

One of the most shameful acts ever in the history of central banking (not that it in any way lacks shameful acts to compare with) was to retroactively declare such terms void in 1933 (in addition to forbidding making new ones). So people who had lent gold to other people in full accordance with all existing laws, got only about half back.

I am telling this just to present the playing field. Unfair statutes have been made as long as government has existed, and will. The freeman's responsibility is to select the ones he wants to comply with. In this thread far too few have realized the name of the game, so please forgive the old grump.

Fractional Reserve Banking is profitable for an individual if (s)he knows how to play with it.

For instance currently in Finland if you have income enough and ability to repay a loan you are able to get quite cheap financing from the banks. Even the fixed rates are low (around 3 % for 15 year fixed mortgage rate when I asked how much we would need to pay for the loan, it is cheaper of course if you do not fix the interest rate).
Banks are lending up to 95 % of the value which means you can become wealthy if you have some money to put as downpayment and let your tenants repay your loan + interest.

Personally I am willing to take as much loans as possible which I can get for these low rates, and not for consumption but for buying assets that the banks are accepting as collateral and getting a residual cashflow from those.
Shrikez

Activity: 399
Merit: 263

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 08:44:24 AM

When people did not trust USD (free banking era, late 1800s), it was common to make debts payable in gold.

One of the most shameful acts ever in the history of central banking (not that it in any way lacks shameful acts to compare with) was to retroactively declare such terms void in 1933 (in addition to forbidding making new ones). So people who had lent gold to other people in full accordance with all existing laws, got only about half back.

I am telling this just to present the playing field. Unfair statutes have been made as long as government has existed, and will. The freeman's responsibility is to select the ones he wants to comply with. In this thread far too few have realized the name of the game, so please forgive the old grump.

Fractional Reserve Banking is profitable for an individual if (s)he knows how to play with it.

For instance currently in Finland if you have income enough and ability to repay a loan you are able to get quite cheap financing from the banks. Even the fixed rates are low (around 3 % for 15 year fixed mortgage rate when I asked how much we would need to pay for the loan, it is cheaper of course if you do not fix the interest rate).
Banks are lending up to 95 % of the value which means you can become wealthy if you have some money to put as downpayment and let your tenants repay your loan + interest.

Personally I am willing to take as much loans as possible which I can get for these low rates, and not for consumption but for buying assets that the banks are accepting as collateral and getting a residual cashflow from those.

I am usually the benevolent type but after your latest stunt I kindly ask you to chose another cryptocurrency for your speculation games.

Die Würde des Menschen ist unantastbar
Pages: « 1 ... 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 [448] 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: