Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:25:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 [465] 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312370 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
Bagatell

Activity: 722
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 08:16:45 AM

Basically: as slow and dismal as things seem now, it's going to slowly do a 180 and rock the world of cryptocurrency with an anti-crash that the world will most *definitely* notice.

Most wont know what's hit them. This is going to be a kind of change that the world has never actually experienced before.  

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
languagehasmeaning

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 08:24:20 AM

Basically: as slow and dismal as things seem now, it's going to slowly do a 180 and rock the world of cryptocurrency with an anti-crash that the world will most *definitely* notice.

Most wont know what's hit them. This is going to be a kind of change that the world has never actually experienced before.  

The last few days have been a great time to accumulate more coins at attractive prices. Development seems to be coming along well and coin emission keeps slowing. The new dice game, GitHub documentation and rumors of a new service for BTC > XMR trades with a minimum mixin are exciting

ShapeShift started to use mixin and had to stop due to problems. 

Coming soon there will be a service that allows BTC -> XMR transfers supporting mixins 3+ by default and payment IDs.

Wink

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 08:27:08 AM

Fully agree. Please dont jump and get hyped about any coin, because of some strangers in the internet. Take time and do plant of research and, before you start trowing many on any coin.

I guess the main question I would have now is, where would I go to do a non biased research on the coin I want to look further into?  It seems impossible to do this, especially with all of the information about cryptos being on the internet.  What made you feel strongly about Monero in the first place?  What makes you feel even more strongly about Monero now? I want to see for my self, but I would have no idea where to start.

A good start is doing what I'm doing...

Reviewing the latest source code file by file, line by line.

Works better for people with a technical background. phishead has stated he doesn't have that. What is the alternative then?

Well i'm not trying to say that people should learn to read code, but it would help to address his concern of getting an unbiased view of a coin.

Google is here so anyone can teach themselves to do just about anything. There are even youtube videos on simple coding.

I guess it depends on how much one wants to understand how something works.

For example my double blade riding lawn mower recently broke the main belt.

I didn't say to myself, "I dont work on lawn mowers". I did a bit of research and found out how to change the belt effectively and in a timely way.

The internet is powerful if whomever wants to embrace it takes it and runs with it.

Heck if I didn't know how to cook, I would google it as well and take tips from people who are good at cooking.

The best way is to just start...somewhere.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Johnny Mnemonic

Activity: 795
Merit: 514

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 08:46:24 AM

Fully agree. Please dont jump and get hyped about any coin, because of some strangers in the internet. Take time and do plant of research and, before you start trowing many on any coin.

I guess the main question I would have now is, where would I go to do a non biased research on the coin I want to look further into?  It seems impossible to do this, especially with all of the information about cryptos being on the internet.  What made you feel strongly about Monero in the first place?  What makes you feel even more strongly about Monero now? I want to see for my self, but I would have no idea where to start.

Regarding Monero research: go read the early pages of the Bytecoin (BCN) thread. That will give you the unbiased truth of why Monero came to exist.

In early 2014, anonymity (privacy) was the big issue, and there wasn't a whole lot of talk about fungibility. It was well known you could improve bitcoin's privacy with coinjoin or mixing, but I don't think the implications of Monero's opaque blockchain became realized until long after its release. The idea that addresses on a transparent ledger always have a history (regardless of mixing), but on an opaque ledger they don't, is still not quite grasped by many in the crypto space.

TL;DR Monero is still relatively young but its purpose has already shifted.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 08:51:30 AM

Regarding Monero research: go read the early pages of the Bytecoin (BCN) thread. That will give you the unbiased truth of why Monero came to exist.

In early 2014, anonymity (privacy) was the big issue, and there wasn't a whole lot of talk about fungibility. It was well known you could improve bitcoin's privacy with coinjoin or mixing, but I don't think the implications of Monero's opaque blockchain became realized until long after its release. The idea that addresses on a transparent ledger always have a history (regardless of mixing), but on an opaque ledger they don't, is still not quite grasped by many in the crypto space.

Please go on...

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Johnny Mnemonic

Activity: 795
Merit: 514

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 09:10:29 AM

Please go on...

Monero started out as a "niche" currency that was lumped together with darkcoin and the others of the time with privacy as it's claim to fame. I don't think many (any?) of us saw where it was going in terms of being the only crypto capable of actually functioning as a currency, due to its true fungibility.

Especially now that bitcoin's weaknesses are really starting to show, Monero is becoming less of a "niche currency" and more of "the only currency that actually works." We've transcended why privacy is important. It's just a necessary side effect of a robust and decentralized system of money.
americanpegasus

Activity: 770

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 09:23:18 AM

Especially now that bitcoin's weaknesses are really starting to show, Monero is becoming less of a "niche currency" and more of "the only currency that actually works." We've transcended why privacy is important. It's just a necessary side effect of a decentralized, fungible system of money.

I believe I've already posted this self-made graphic once before, but I will post it one more time since it's relevant to this discussion.  Bitcoin was essentially the first digital collectible, but it fell short of fulfilling the promise of "digital gold".  

Monero makes good on that promise and is the first time we have truly advanced money in all criteria.  

It might sound crazy, because you see Monero as a small crypto side project, but that would be a severe error in judgement.  Whether by coincidence or design, you are witness to the live (and open) beta release of one of the most significant technologies that has ever existed.  

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
opennux

Activity: 231
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 09:32:30 AM

Idk about that, I don't have the slightest idea of what I could do to help Monero personally since I'm pretty much technologically handicapped when it comes to cryptography.

For the non-technical contributors, there are always things to do in terms of improving the web site, social media, creative marketing ideas, outreach to merchants, users, and opinion makers, etc. And also crowdfunding of various Monero-related projects which not only helps the projects but gives you a direct say in what projects get done.

However, as a new arrival I'd suggest that you simply learn as much as you can first, then decide how you can help Monero succeed.

I have made a thread here with more specific tasks (and potential deadlines) that people can add to and sign up for!

Please check it out and contribute by adding new tasks, sign-up for tasks and debate/suggest other things.

https://forum.getmonero.org/6/ideas/2395/task-list-to-do-list
languagehasmeaning

Activity: 336

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 09:43:42 AM

Idk about that, I don't have the slightest idea of what I could do to help Monero personally since I'm pretty much technologically handicapped when it comes to cryptography.

For the non-technical contributors, there are always things to do in terms of improving the web site, social media, creative marketing ideas, outreach to merchants, users, and opinion makers, etc. And also crowdfunding of various Monero-related projects which not only helps the projects but gives you a direct say in what projects get done.

However, as a new arrival I'd suggest that you simply learn as much as you can first, then decide how you can help Monero succeed.

I have made a thread here with more specific tasks (and potential deadlines) that people can add to and sign up for!

Please check it out and contribute by adding new tasks, sign-up for tasks and debate/suggest other things.

I like the to do list. I will try to think of things that I can add to and for the best way for me to help
owm123

Activity: 392

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 09:45:39 AM

Good list. But please dont forget that one issue there is, that you cant use xmr directly to pay/donate or support projects/websites or whatever. Thus if you think monero has any future and you care and want to support any porject/website, please let them know you can support them through xmr.

The perfect example is recent community effort of asking tutanota to support donations with xmr:
https://tutanota.uservoice.com/forums/237921-general/suggestions/9968298-accept-monero-xmr-for-donations

I'm tutanota user myself (also protonmail), so I fully think that just letting to know privacy oriented service (if you use any) about being able to donate some xmr to them is useful.

After all, its all about privacy.  If privacy oriented services cant see and appreciate value of xmr, than I dont think anyone else will.

Bitcoin is NOT anonymous: http://www.bitcoinisnotanonymous.com
opennux

Activity: 231

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 11:24:22 AM

Good list. But please dont forget that one issue there is, that you cant use xmr directly to pay/donate or support projects/websites or whatever. Thus if you think monero has any future and you care and want to support any porject/website, please let them know you can support them through xmr.

The perfect example is recent community effort of asking tutanota to support donations with xmr:
https://tutanota.uservoice.com/forums/237921-general/suggestions/9968298-accept-monero-xmr-for-donations

I'm tutanota user myself (also protonmail), so I fully think that just letting to know privacy oriented service (if you use any) about being able to donate some xmr to them is useful.

After all, its all about privacy.  If privacy oriented services cant see and appreciate value of xmr, than I dont think anyone else will.

It's great. (I also saw you replied on the thread). All those things can be actionable tasks indeed. So please, add suggestions to the list. A task could be "Find 10 - 20 - 30 - whatever number - of privacy oriented services". Another task could be "Contact this or that service".
By quantifying it a bit and also having an always relatively up-to-date reference list of somewhat easily attackable tasks will hopefully make many more things happen.
owm123

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 11:46:33 AM

It's great. (I also saw you replied on the thread). All those things can be actionable tasks indeed. So please, add suggestions to the list. A task could be "Find 10 - 20 - 30 - whatever number - of privacy oriented services". Another task could be "Contact this or that service".
By quantifying it a bit and also having an always relatively up-to-date reference list of somewhat easily attackable tasks will hopefully make many more things happen.

I just added new comment in the monero forum, and reddit, that is copy of the above about tutanota. There is also current initiative about being about to donate xmr to i2p.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/3mwvfr/i2p_good_news/

aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 01:23:32 PM

I need some xmr but gotta pay for it 20x at least, before I put it on.  Meanwhile, long GBP/softs/spus, short emerging/energy/ france/spain/financials/duration.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
owm123

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 02:09:13 PM

I need some xmr but gotta pay for it 20x at least, before I put it on.  Meanwhile, long GBP/softs/spus, short emerging/energy/ france/spain/financials/duration.

what?

Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 02:51:45 PM

I don't think many (any?) of us saw where it was going in terms of being the only crypto capable of actually functioning as a currency, due to its true fungibility.

Actually, I think fungibility in the ideal-money sense is *precisely* why there's been long-standing interest in Monero from a number of people who were interested in Bitcoin fairly early.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 03:18:51 PM
Last edit: October 02, 2015, 04:45:20 PM by dEBRUYNE

Some nice buys going on today. Since candlesticks can be deceiving and easily manipulated I pointed out the buys and sells for today (green dot = buy, red dot = sell). FWIW: If you are looking at candlesticks, just look closely at the open, high, low and close on a short time frame (best to look at 1 or 3m). Furthermore, the rates are still quite high and the offers outstanding quite low compared to a few weeks ago (see -> http://monerodice.pd.to/polo.php), so it could be that our suspected shorter (or other shorters) are taking out loans to supress the price. This is just a little theory though, I have no conclusive evidence of this.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
medusa13

Activity: 453

hello world

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 03:51:31 PM

there was/is a painter bot active and i hate it, risto pointed it out some time ago. dont know what kind of algo this is, but its pretty good in painting candles red without spending a lot of money.
it does this on different time scales too if possible.

@pegasus: funny findings Grin after October a huge crash happend, some of us got burned, but it made us strong. then a bubble happend, those who went through darkness without fear got rewarded. it was hell of a ride and it will continue like that  Smiley

XMR Monero
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 04:13:19 PM

there was/is a painter bot active and i hate it, risto pointed it out some time ago. dont know what kind of algo this is, but its pretty good in painting candles red without spending a lot of money.

@pegasus: funny findings Grin after October a huge crash happend, some of us got burned, but it made us strong. then a bubble happend, those who went through darkness without fear got rewarded. it was hell of a ride and it will continue like that  Smiley

I think it is mostly painting green, but during the time risto pointed it out it was painting red (thus switched in reverse). I also think it is currently painting green.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 05:29:05 PM

@pegasus: funny findings Grin after October a huge crash happend, some of us got burned, but it made us strong. then a bubble happend, those who went through darkness without fear got rewarded. it was hell of a ride and it will continue like that  Smiley

I think it is mostly painting green, but during the time risto pointed it out it was painting red (thus switched in reverse). I also think it is currently painting green.

The reason why someone would use it is to play it against his own bids to camouflage his market buys and other upwards pressure during accumulation.

If it bothers you too much, just set up your own  Cheesy

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
Harpua

Activity: 224

Spastic dead-eyed hound.

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 05:32:37 PM

I just posted up an idea on the list and think it could be a really good one at that...

I was thinking, maybe we could make a bunch of stickers made with a QR code on it that would link someone to getmonero.org on their smartphone... I know in the city I live in there are a bunch of stickers promoting businesses, bands, and well, anything really... I think if we would have the just the Monero symbol and nothing else with a QR code on it, then people would be like, "what the hell is this"?

Downtown in my city is full of bars and is a college town, so maybe it would inspire just 1 person or 1,000 students to get interested...

What you guys think?

Pages: « 1 ... 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 [465] 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: