Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 02:36:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 [373] 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312366 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
MilkyLep

Activity: 583
Merit: 500

Bitcoin for all & all for Bitcoin

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 04:14:09 AM

A bit of a break out after a long flat consolidation period looks pretty bullish to me.

But this gentleman already said thanks for the pump...!

sold all of my xmr.

thanks for the pump guys Wink

Either you own the bitcoins(private keys) or you don't. However with moneroj, nobody knows what you own.
Secure. Private. Untraceable.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 05:48:40 AM

Well I saw most of 2014 as a consolidation phase as we recovered from the bullshit Gox and China pump in 2013. Meanwhile venture capital poured in to start to build things that people might actually use, and by late 2014 or early 2015 it seemed utility, potential, and the rate of building might be starting to converge with price. Since then things seem kind of stable. At a fundamental level I think the market is waiting for developments, like whether the technology holds up, scalability is feasible, regulation becomes suffocating, something better pushes it aside, a killer app appears, etc. I don't think what Gox did matters much right now, but I could be wrong.

Agreed. Imagine the counterfactual; ie, instead of MtGox, the early Bitcoin exchange was reasonably responsible, didn't lose a ton of money, and didn't manipulate the market. What would Bitcoin's price be today? My guess is that'd it'd be the same or higher than it is today. The 4yr price chart wouldn't have spikes to the same degree, nor such an ugly bear market, in my opinion. Bitcoin has evolved tremendously in the past few years, and without the Gox mess, I think we'd see a much smoother overall uptrend.

That said, I agree with you, Smooth, regarding people likely waiting for more resolution on: the blocksize debate, regulation, killer app emergence, various other uses, etc, etc.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
Melbustus
Legendary

Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 05:56:07 AM

I definitely think the next comment has to be true if the willy bot scenario is true https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3fe92x/im_ashley_barr_aka_adam_turner_the_first_mtgox/ctor4f3

It's basically this, which was very insightfully written at the time:

Peter R’s Theory on the Collapse of Mt. Gox

TL/DR: A young man had a secret.  To keep it hidden, he kept digging until the hole was a billion dollars deep.  This is a speculative tale of a great bitcoin theft from MtGox in 2011 and the efforts that this man undertook to fix it.  The tale explains the bitcoin bear market of 2011, the explosive rally of 2013, delayed fiat withdrawals, malled transactions, and a bot named Willy.

Holy mother of God.  This is it.  This makes sense. 

I don't know why I suddenly and instantly believe this theory, but it fits all the pieces so perfectly. 

I used to think some variant of Peter R's theory made the most sense. What I could never quite reconcile, though, was that there was no blockchain trail of stolen coins in 2011. So I figured that maybe the 2011 hack involved the hackers copying a bunch of code, finding exploits a while later (or having installed a backdoor), and then slowly bleeding Gox in relatively small amounts over the years.

But honestly, reading that Ashley Barr thread makes me think that the whole thing more likely has a far simpler explanation; ie, Karpeles just spent a few million of the fiat deposits that came into the bank account (which was his personal account(!)) frivolously, while crediting traders with BTC. Given prices at the time (mid-2011 through 2012), it would only have taken <$5m in lavish "corporate" spending to run up ~550,000BTC in liabilities. Unfortunately there's a long history of startups proving that it's not hard to blow a few million bucks on dumb stuff.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 06:30:16 AM

I used to think some variant of Peter R's theory made the most sense. What I could never quite reconcile, though, was that there was no blockchain trail of stolen coins in 2011. So I figured that maybe the 2011 hack involved the hackers copying a bunch of code, finding exploits a while later (or having installed a backdoor), and then slowly bleeding Gox in relatively small amounts over the years.

One easy way to reconcile this is that the coins were not stolen but just lost: private keys erased with no usable backup, either by a hacker (vandalism) or by Karpeles himself (error).

But honestly, reading that Ashley Barr thread makes me think that the whole thing more likely has a far simpler explanation; ie, Karpeles just spent a few million of the fiat deposits that came into the bank account (which was his personal account(!)) frivolously, while crediting traders with BTC. Given prices at the time (mid-2011 through 2012), it would only have taken <$5m in lavish "corporate" spending to run up ~550,000BTC in liabilities. Unfortunately there's a long history of startups proving that it's not hard to blow a few million bucks on dumb stuff.

In general terms the idea he spent the money is plausible but the low level specifics don't work. He would have had to credit them with phoney fiat, not BTC. Without some other fraud, this would not affect the balance of BTC on the exchange.

Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 06:34:53 AM

I definitely think the next comment has to be true if the willy bot scenario is true https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3fe92x/im_ashley_barr_aka_adam_turner_the_first_mtgox/ctor4f3

It's basically this, which was very insightfully written at the time:

Peter R’s Theory on the Collapse of Mt. Gox

TL/DR: A young man had a secret.  To keep it hidden, he kept digging until the hole was a billion dollars deep.  This is a speculative tale of a great bitcoin theft from MtGox in 2011 and the efforts that this man undertook to fix it.  The tale explains the bitcoin bear market of 2011, the explosive rally of 2013, delayed fiat withdrawals, malled transactions, and a bot named Willy.

Holy mother of God.  This is it.  This makes sense. 

I don't know why I suddenly and instantly believe this theory, but it fits all the pieces so perfectly. 

But when was the Willy Bot active? I understand how it could guide all markets since things all started on GOX and that is where the liquidity was.
But as other markets developed good liquidity, why would they still follow GOX so closely? At the end they stopped following GOX, right as the Shizz hit the fan.
My point is, why not ANY of that before? (Outside of a small price disparity.) This is more a practical question regarding when other exchanges surfaced with their liquidity perhaps.
Perhaps GOX just had a liquidity monopoly until, it obviously no longer had one.

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 06:36:26 AM

One easy way to reconcile this is that the coins were not stolen but just lost: private keys erased with no usable backup, either by a hacker (vandalism) or by Karpeles himself (error).

In general terms the idea he spent the money is plausible but the low level specifics don't work. He would have had to credit them with phoney fiat, not BTC. Without some other fraud, this would not affect the balance of BTC on the exchange.

Yeah, remember how Mark suddenly found 200k coins and no one bought it? I think he actually did "just" find those coins. Word is the place was a mess.
Those coins might never be coming back.

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 06:56:54 AM

Smooth said earlier that the fall of bitcoin will be harsh for all the cryptoland (or something like this - I do not have time to search for the exact wordings because I am too focused on buying Moneros).

I tend to disagree, the fall of bitcoin might give room for other coins (creative destruction) to rise and it might force the big bitcoin holders to significiantly increase their holdings in altcoins (of course some of their bitcoins will be liquidated to plain fiat also but I doubt not all).
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1036

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 07:02:18 AM

The fall of Bitcoin has been harsh, but if it now loses the remaining 25% of its peak value, I think the valuation of non-BTC-clone cryptos might even go up.

BTC does not seem to lose its value now though..

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 07:22:17 AM

Smooth said earlier that the fall of bitcoin will be harsh for all the cryptoland (or something like this - I do not have time to search for the exact wordings because I am too focused on buying Moneros).

I tend to disagree, the fall of bitcoin might give room for other coins (creative destruction) to rise and it might force the big bitcoin holders to significiantly increase their holdings in altcoins (of course some of their bitcoins will be liquidated to plain fiat also but I doubt not all).

I think I said that a while back in the context of an lack of speculative enthusiasm for crypto generally, and that has mostly played out over the past 18 months or so. Monero hasn't really gone anywhere against the backdrop of a weak Bitcoin market, and neither have most other coins.

If you are referring to the comments about Bitcoin failing or being surpassed by another coin (which is FAR from happening at this point of course) being very bad for crypto overall, I don't think I've ever said that and i don't particularly believe it. But it is a popular view among intelligent people so it deserves some consideration.

smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 07:24:23 AM

But when was the Willy Bot active? I understand how it could guide all markets since things all started on GOX and that is where the liquidity was.
But as other markets developed good liquidity, why would they still follow GOX so closely? At the end they stopped following GOX, right as the Shizz hit the fan.
My point is, why not ANY of that before? (Outside of a small price disparity.) This is more a practical question regarding when other exchanges surfaced with their liquidity perhaps.
Perhaps GOX just had a liquidity monopoly until, it obviously no longer had one.

It doesn't really matter if it was guiding the markets or just part of them. It was constant buying pressure, with no limitation of available funds (since it didn't actually have any funds anyway) or lack of willingness to pay higher prices in an otherwise rising market. That's explosive.

Of course that's the theory of Willy. I don't know that it has been proven.
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 07:58:50 AM

Hi everyone,

lets predict the pirce of monero for 2016 and 2017

what are your thoughts about the price in one year, will it hit the $10? Cool

I think we can have a stable price of 2 USD/XMR at the end of the year, maybe we had a spike towards 5-10 USD in between, hard to tell.
Next year XMR will enter top5 and probably top3 on coinmarketcap. I'm guassing a "stable" exchange rate around 10-20 USD
In 2017 we should become the strongest "altcoin" with an exchange rate of at least 50 USD, probably more (maybe 200-500 USD)
Why? If LTC can hit 50 USD with a supply 4*BTC, then XMR should be able to hit at least 4*50 USD with a supply comparable to BTC.

After 2017? I don't know, will XMR overtake BTC in the end? No clue.

BTC better be a lot higher than 200-500 by 2017 or it is going to be a long, cold, hard winter in crypto land. If it is, you can pretty much forget about these bull run scenarios for XMR. If BTC does perform, then there is plenty of running room for XMR without wondering about overtaking.

Now I found the exact quote to which I refered.
Cryptoland most likely will not be cold and hard even if btc will not run, or why should it be so bad for crypto?

After all, btc has its issues. The only advantage it has is its network effect which was created by the extreme bull markets. However, the bull markets do not need to be that extreme to gain the new adaption. Especially if you want to attract traditional fiat money - all you need is to offer more than the stock markets can do and you pretty much have a door open for tens of billions of dollars (potentially). Crazy pumps and dumps (such as dot com bubble) might harm more than benefit even though the price tend to be higher after the bubble than it was before the bubble. The bubbles might bring the class of bitter bagholders who are living in denial and their denial to admit the mistake keeps the price somewhat floating.
smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 08:04:25 AM
Last edit: August 03, 2015, 08:14:26 AM by smooth

Hi everyone,

lets predict the pirce of monero for 2016 and 2017

what are your thoughts about the price in one year, will it hit the $10? Cool

I think we can have a stable price of 2 USD/XMR at the end of the year, maybe we had a spike towards 5-10 USD in between, hard to tell.
Next year XMR will enter top5 and probably top3 on coinmarketcap. I'm guassing a "stable" exchange rate around 10-20 USD
In 2017 we should become the strongest "altcoin" with an exchange rate of at least 50 USD, probably more (maybe 200-500 USD)
Why? If LTC can hit 50 USD with a supply 4*BTC, then XMR should be able to hit at least 4*50 USD with a supply comparable to BTC.

After 2017? I don't know, will XMR overtake BTC in the end? No clue.

BTC better be a lot higher than 200-500 by 2017 or it is going to be a long, cold, hard winter in crypto land. If it is, you can pretty much forget about these bull run scenarios for XMR. If BTC does perform, then there is plenty of running room for XMR without wondering about overtaking.

Now I found the exact quote to which I refered.
Cryptoland most likely will not be cold and hard even if btc will not run, or why should it be so bad for crypto?

After all, btc has its issues. The only advantage it has is its network effect which was created by the extreme bull markets. However, the bull markets do not need to be that extreme to gain the new adaption. Especially if you want to attract traditional fiat money - all you need is to offer more than the stock markets can do and you pretty much have a door open for tens of billions of dollars (potentially). Crazy pumps and dumps (such as dot com bubble) might harm more than benefit even though the price tend to be higher after the bubble than it was before the bubble. The bubbles might bring the class of bitter bagholders who are living in denial and their denial to admit the mistake keeps the price somewhat floating.

Good point. Yes, I do think that it is a very long shot possibility that BTC languishes while leadership shifts elsewhere (invalidating my above model) but as I said, a long shot.

The issue I see is that with the amount of venture capital investment going into Bitcoin now and over the past year, if it doesn't perform over the next couple of years, then early stage and speculative investors will largely lose interest, pull back to a much more conservative posture. and not just shift to building liquidity and infrastructure for another coin (whether that is XMR or anything else). If Bitcoin does perform then more investment money will come into crypto and some of that will flow to good coins/projects/technologies like XMR.

Longer term, anything can happen. I don't think BTC's leadership is very meaningful until it gets to 10-20% adoption minimum.

EDIT: Looking at it now, I think I misread the post to which I was replying as saying that BTC would be 200-500. Also when i say "investment going into Bitcoin" above, I mean bets on Bitcoin. Most of the investment is going into Bitcoin-based companies not Bitcoin itself, i think.

dreamspark

Activity: 798

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 10:08:43 AM

Definately echo what your saying smooth in regards to btc needing to perform. I think that to most of the outside world cryto=bitcoin. If people loose money investing in bitcoin and its infrastructure its going to take a lot to convinve people oh hey why not invest in x,y or x alt.
futureofbitcoin

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 10:12:02 AM

Yes, people needs trust in crypto itself, and come to accept that its not fake money. At that point other cryptos can flourish.

But right now crypto = bitcoin, so bitcoin needs to succeed first. It's highly, highly unlikely that bitcoin will be displaced before that, I think.
canth
Legendary

Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 10:44:55 AM

Yeah, remember how Mark suddenly found 200k coins and no one bought it? I think he actually did "just" find those coins. Word is the place was a mess.

I think most would prefer that the coins were lost/destroyed rather than stolen. At least then everyone's remaining holdings are worth slightly more rather than having enriched some thief, whether an insider or outside in the Gox operation.

dreamspark

Activity: 798

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 10:49:22 AM

I think most would prefer that the coins were lost/destroyed rather than stolen. At least then everyone's remaining holdings are worth slightly more rather than having enriched some thief, whether an insider or outside in the Gox operation.

Imo they were stolen in the 2011 hack. It explains everything perfectly including the need to suddenly try and buy the coins back, running up the price.
medusa13

Activity: 453
Merit: 500

hello world

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 06:56:20 PM

busy day but still all going easy, volume is UP, i hope this is just the beginning. the only doubt i have is polo, after all it kind of became the burden we have to grow over.

the wall pulled like expected, the bulls regained some confidence, but are not yet back to old pride. 1w macd going green, could it really be? positions got increased, but most seats are allready occupied.
hope we see some traders with leverage jump in soon, maybe it allready happend (shame on you poloniex for still not publishing this data, pfui!)

could be a small bump or could be moontrain just leaving right now, i think the later is true but i'm also not the one to give an objectiv statement here Grin
a new tagged release and the party would be perfect!

fly safe people  Kiss

XMR Monero
Bassica

Activity: 283
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 07:09:36 PM

1W MACD turning green would be interesting, 7 more days...  Grin

Edit: this is also the deadline for btc's cup 'n handle to trigger (if). 

That would be an epic moment for us Monerians
rangedriver

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 07:29:26 PM

1W MACD turning green would be interesting, 7 more days...  Grin

I think it will be a little longer than 7 days. Currently we're at the top of the upward channel - if it holds then the logical destination is 0.002 with an ETA of just under a week.

This would keep the 1-week MACD in the red for the next couple of weeks.
smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 07:50:26 PM

kenji's mental breakdown post was removed
Pages: « 1 ... 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 [373] 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: