Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:43:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 [447] 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312369 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 07:21:11 PM

Does USD have fungibility problems? CAD? EUR? JPY? RMB?

They have serial numbers on them. Theoretically you can say "this serial number is now worthless". But they are working currencies. People trust them.

I think bitcoin's fungibility is a much smaller issue than people in this thread are led to believe.

please then explain how BTC-e could blacklist coins stolen from the dark market called Evolution?

Better yet, how about if that same thief sold you coins for fiat or something of value (hard asset)?

And then when you went to exchange those bitcoins for fiat or other goods the merchant or exchange tells you that those coins are blacklisted and are not accepted here (hopefully the return the coins to you).

I'm pretty sure it is NOT a "much smaller issue" than people in this thread are led to believe.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4892

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 07:21:53 PM

How is blacklisting of coins going to be enforced? It won't be. People can't even agree on the blocksize....

Very simply when BTC becomes mainstream and businesses accept it just like credit cards then the device that accepts the transaction will by law have a lookup to a blacklist.

It's so simple I can't believe I have to explain it. Not only that but there are even simpler ways for any government to enforce blacklisting on businesses. If they wished to do it to fiat they could simply by forcing businesses to use currency scanners.

If you believe this will never happen then that is your gamble, when it does happen and it will as history has shown government overreach is rampant and growing then those that protected themselves from it will be laughing all the way to the bank. Cheesy

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 07:26:11 PM

How is blacklisting of coins going to be enforced? It won't be. People can't even agree on the blocksize....

Very simply when BTC becomes mainstream and businesses accept it just like credit cards then the device that accepts the transaction will by law have a lookup to a blacklist.

It's so simple I can't believe I have to explain it. Not only that but there are even simpler ways for any government to enforce blacklisting on businesses. If they wished to do it to fiat they could simply by forcing businesses to use currency scanners.

If you believe this will never happen then that is your gamble, when it does happen and it will as history has shown government overreach is rampant and growing then those that protected themselves from it will be laughing all the way to away FROM the bank. Cheesy

FTFY  Grin Grin Grin

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 07:28:37 PM

If you believe this will never happen then that is your gamble, when it does happen and it will as history has shown government overreach is rampant and growing then those that protected themselves from it will be laughing all the way to away FROM the bank. Cheesy

FTFY  Grin Grin Grin

ROTFLMFAO!!!

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 07:28:48 PM

Nope. Why? See following point.

They have serial numbers on them. Theoretically you can say "this serial number is now worthless". But they are working currencies. People trust them.

You are forced by law to accept all notes.
Otherwise it would break fungibility. This has been the case all over the world in various financial systems, since this famous case:
http://www.paybits.net/blog/why-fungibility-matters/

Fungibility of money can be enforced by law only in a centralized monetary system. Bitcoin isn't centralized, there is nobody enforcing fungibility by law. It's possible for everyone to define their own rules, analyse and trace everything they wish, point the fingers to coins, transactions and merchants accepting or refusing them.

Thus, in a decentralized monetary system the only way to have fungibility is through privacy. (It applies to the physical world as well: if all gold historical ownership was known to everyone - with a simple internet connection! - gold fungibility would be broken instantly. Its fungibility comes from that it doesn't convey its own history with itself).

So if I choose not to accept USD as payment that is illegal?

I'm pretty sure you can choose if you want to accept USD or not.

But from the standpoint of accepting USD but not accepting other USD that has different serial number...then I see your point.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 07:34:02 PM

Nope. Why? See following point.

You are forced by law to accept all notes.
Otherwise it would break fungibility. This has been the case all over the world in various financial systems, since this famous case:
http://www.paybits.net/blog/why-fungibility-matters/

Fungibility of money can be enforced by law only in a centralized monetary system. Bitcoin isn't centralized, there is nobody enforcing fungibility by law. It's possible for everyone to define their own rules, analyse and trace everything they wish, point the fingers to coins, transactions and merchants accepting or refusing them.

Thus, in a decentralized monetary system the only way to have fungibility is through privacy. (It applies to the physical world as well: if all gold historical ownership was known to everyone - with a simple internet connection! - gold fungibility would be broken instantly. Its fungibility comes from that it doesn't convey its own history with itself).

You can't not accept it in satisfaction of an existing debt. You can contract to do business using another form of payment, if you agree to that ahead of time, but you can really only enforce it with up front payment (or escrow). If you agree on another form of post-payment and the buyer refuses to pay, you can sue and get a judgement, which can then be paid in USD.

SmoothCurves

Activity: 379
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 07:41:56 PM

There are Gold Bugs on my facebook page that are technology savvy, and aware of the Fiat ponzi scam, yet still refuse to acknowledge crypto. It reminds me what a peculiar type of brain you need in order to be on here and be aware of Monero.
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 07:44:01 PM

When people did not trust USD (free banking era, late 1800s), it was common to make debts payable in gold.

One of the most shameful acts ever in the history of central banking (not that it in any way lacks shameful acts to compare with) was to retroactively declare such terms void in 1933 (in addition to forbidding making new ones). So people who had lent gold to other people in full accordance with all existing laws, got only about half back.

I am telling this just to present the playing field. Unfair statutes have been made as long as government has existed, and will. The freeman's responsibility is to select the ones he wants to comply with. In this thread far too few have realized the name of the game, so please forgive the old grump.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2015, 07:45:11 PM

I need help!
When you open the wallet writes:

2015-Sep-23 23:44:30.742686 bitmonero v0.8.8.6-release
2015-Sep-23 23:44:30.748687 Module folder: bitmonerod.exe
2015-Sep-23 23:44:30.751687 Initializing P2P server...
2015-Sep-23 23:44:39.120166 ERROR C:/bitmonero/src/p2p/net_node.inl:128 Exception at [node_server::init_config], what=input stream error
2015-Sep-23 23:44:39.121166 ERROR C:/bitmonero/src/p2p/net_node.inl:289 Failed to init config.
2015-Sep-23 23:44:39.121166 ERROR C:/bitmonero/src/daemon/daemon.cpp:239 Failed to initialize P2P server.
2015-Sep-23 23:44:39.121166 Mining has been stopped, 0 finished

Heya - please follow to this link to receive technical assistance.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=652305.msg12504261#msg12504261

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 07:50:13 PM

In this thread far too few have realized the name of the game, so please forgive the old grump.

Please continue. It is a valuable perspective.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 08:12:37 PM

When people did not trust USD (free banking era, late 1800s), it was common to make debts payable in gold.

One of the most shameful acts ever in the history of central banking (not that it in any way lacks shameful acts to compare with) was to retroactively declare such terms void in 1933 (in addition to forbidding making new ones). So people who had lent gold to other people in full accordance with all existing laws, got only about half back.

I am telling this just to present the playing field. Unfair statutes have been made as long as government has existed, and will. The freeman's responsibility is to select the ones he wants to comply with. In this thread far too few have realized the name of the game, so please forgive the old grump.

It also invalidated gold paper contracts, basically the same thing you said but I thought it was a nice addition.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
Harpua

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

Spastic dead-eyed hound.

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 08:35:47 PM

Yes! That is the name of the game essentially, and I think a large majority of people who use cryptos understand that relation when it comes to government and money.  It's amazing to me, that the central banks were allowed to do this kind of thing anyways.  It would seem that the young "greatest generation to ever live" would have a little that kind of thing to take place, but I guess it's easy to say that for me when put into retrospect.  The biggest issue I see with taking down the central banks, is that they are literally all over the world... Of course when you now put the wealthiest/most powerful/greediest man in the world such as Rothschild in the driver seat of the entire worlds central banking systems and  we try to over take his power to pretty much run everything, we might be fought back, hard.  He's indirectly in control of countless armies and puppet politicians, so if we were to go against what he wanted (which in this case is his monopoly on money supply) he would issue martial law in an instant.

Didn't want to get all tin foil-esque on here, but it happens from time to time  Roll Eyes
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 08:44:44 PM

I can't wait for the day people stop accepting fiat like they do with personal checks and only accept crypto. When this day comes then all work can be applied to an algorithm that can be used to fairly reward time and materials across the board. That day will see untold amounts being saved in both energy time and palpable materials.

Joint Force

Activity: 804
Merit: 500

DAO ↔ DApp

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2015, 09:33:30 PM

Retweet this to get some speculative trading analysis done by professionals:
https://twitter.com/jessecouch/status/646747329781964801

XMR looks like a pretty good buy and is a fantastic coin.

futureofbitcoin

Activity: 322

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 09:38:06 PM

See, the problem with your logic, is that you're only looking at it one way.

There's no central authority to enforce laws saying "you must accept all bitcoins". Similarly, there is no central authority saying "You can't accept these bitcoins".

How is blacklisting of coins going to be enforced? It won't be. People can't even agree on the blocksize.

I think you miss the point, in that you apply a view inehrited of "good old" centralized systems, and believe there should be a ruling of some sort or at least a general consensus on this issue to actually endanger fungibility.

Fact: Some coins are already less (or more) valuable than others, without anybody ruling it should be the case. See also joinmarket. How do you reconcile that these facts exist, with your current view?

I'll tell you why:
In a decentralized system, you don't need people to "agree" to enforce (or weaken) fungibility.
Everybody is free to apply its own judgement. Its a judgement from the crowd to the crowd.
Everybody is potentially under social pressure, as when btc-e froze that 1M$ that came from the darmarket theft: everybody could know the taint: btc-e decided that it was better for them, in the clear view of all, to block those coins rather than allowing trades.

On a side note, what governement and tax authorities can do better than blacklisting is whitelisting. Or even easier, asking you to declare the origin of your crypto assets, then checking that blockchain observations don't contradict your declarations.
Don't tell me what views I hold; that's not something for you to decide. You are just making a straw-man argument.

I see a link about some mining operation selling bitcoins. How does that in any way prove that some coins are less or more valuable than others? when you claim that it is a fact, you have to point out exactly which bitcoins are worth more than a bitcoin and exactly which bitcoins are worth less. And I don't think you can do that.

But that there may be sought after bitcoins doesn't hurt the system at all. It's like for example someone who likes to collect certain serial numbers because they think it's lucky or something.

The problem lies in when your currency is suddenly not accepted and valueless. And such a thing would require a mass acceptance of those coins being put on a blacklist or whitelist or whatever. Or else even if billy bob joe decides he doesn't want to accept those particular bitcoins, someone else will. That is basically the exact same situation as it is right now; people choose whether they want bitcoins or not; and they will choose whether they will accept moneros or not. Whether you want to call that fungible or not is completely irrelevant. No one cares about fungibility. They care whether their money can be spent.
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 09:43:10 PM

Of course not. But if you accept USD, you're forced to accept all notes, whether you like their serial number or not.
And as smooth mentions you'd be forced to accept it as a repayment for a debth, as it's a legal tender.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
futureofbitcoin

Activity: 322

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 09:46:49 PM

If you believe this will never happen then that is your gamble, when it does happen and it will as history has shown government overreach is rampant and growing then those that protected themselves from it will be laughing all the way to the bank. Cheesy
Don't use that overbearing tone when your argument is full of logical fallacies and you can't even understand my point. You're talking as if there is only one government in the world, or that all governments are in agreement, and they have absolute control. I'm not saying there is no physical way to blacklist, I'm saying there will be NO AGREEMENT on which coins to blacklist.

I think bitcoin's fungibility is a much smaller issue than people in this thread are led to believe.

please then explain how BTC-e could blacklist coins stolen from the dark market called Evolution?

Better yet, how about if that same thief sold you coins for fiat or something of value (hard asset)?

And then when you went to exchange those bitcoins for fiat or other goods the merchant or exchange tells you that those coins are blacklisted and are not accepted here (hopefully the return the coins to you).

I'm pretty sure it is NOT a "much smaller issue" than people in this thread are led to believe.

Your little argument only proves my point. I don't know what happened with BTC-e, but let's say what you're saying is true. Did OKcoin blacklist those coins? How about BTChina? Houbi? Circle? Coinbase? How about that coffee shop over there?

So these coins cannot be used on a single exchange. Well, you know what? Cryptocurrencies can't be used in most places. I'm sure there are more merchants that accept those bitcoins that are blacklisted by BTC-e than merchants that accept monero.

The main point is, can my money be used for services I want/need to use? If BTC-e wants to lose customers, they are free to do so. It'll be a long time before all or even most governments and companies come to an agreement on which coins to black or whitelist.
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 09:49:08 PM

Don't tell me what views I hold; that's not something for you to decide. You are just making a straw-man argument.
Apologize for that.

I see a link about some mining operation selling bitcoins. How does that in any way prove that some coins are less or more valuable than others? when you claim that it is a fact, you have to point out exactly which bitcoins are worth more than a bitcoin and exactly which bitcoins are worth less. And I don't think you can do that.
I don't have to point out to anything, I'm not in a specific position to declare what is worth that or that. The point is anybody will have a different opinion. Therefore it impacts the ability to transact without everyone wondering with their own criteria, whether a coin is "clean" or not, whether it's worth 100% the bitcoin amount or 99% of it.

The problem lies in when your currency is suddenly not accepted and valueless.
[...]
No one cares about fungibility. They care whether their money can be spent.
I am fairly certain at least the people that pay X% to "clean" their coins on joinmarket do care about fungibility, as they could save that X%.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 10:10:13 PM

See, the problem with your logic, is that you're only looking at it one way.

There's no central authority to enforce laws saying "you must accept all bitcoins". Similarly, there is no central authority saying "You can't accept these bitcoins".

How is blacklisting of coins going to be enforced? It won't be. People can't even agree on the blocksize.

I think you miss the point, in that you apply a view inehrited of "good old" centralized systems, and believe there should be a ruling of some sort or at least a general consensus on this issue to actually endanger fungibility.

Fact: Some coins are already less (or more) valuable than others, without anybody ruling it should be the case. See also joinmarket. How do you reconcile that these facts exist, with your current view?

I'll tell you why:
In a decentralized system, you don't need people to "agree" to enforce (or weaken) fungibility.
Everybody is free to apply its own judgement. Its a judgement from the crowd to the crowd.
Everybody is potentially under social pressure, as when btc-e froze that 1M$ that came from the darmarket theft: everybody could know the taint: btc-e decided that it was better for them, in the clear view of all, to block those coins rather than allowing trades.

On a side note, what governement and tax authorities can do better than blacklisting is whitelisting. Or even easier, asking you to declare the origin of your crypto assets, then checking that blockchain observations don't contradict your declarations.
...No one cares about fungibility. They care whether their money can be spent.

That is pretty much the definition of fungibility. So yes people do care about it. Perhaps they don't know what it is called.

But "they care whether their money can be spent" is FUNGIBILITY in its raw form.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 10:14:18 PM

Don't use that overbearing tone when your argument is full of logical fallacies and you can't even understand my point. You're talking as if there is only one government in the world, or that all governments are in agreement, and they have absolute control. I'm not saying there is no physical way to blacklist, I'm saying there will be NO AGREEMENT on which coins to blacklist.

Your little argument only proves my point. I don't know what happened with BTC-e, but let's say what you're saying is true. Did OKcoin blacklist those coins? How about BTChina? Houbi? Circle? Coinbase? How about that coffee shop over there?

So these coins cannot be used on a single exchange. Well, you know what? Cryptocurrencies can't be used in most places. I'm sure there are more merchants that accept those bitcoins that are blacklisted by BTC-e than merchants that accept monero.

The main point is, can my money be used for services I want/need to use? If BTC-e wants to lose customers, they are free to do so. It'll be a long time before all or even most governments and companies come to an agreement on which coins to black or whitelist.

You ignore the example I gave where if you went to another location to spent BTC and they wont accept it and it continues...you would be pretty mad and possibly lose faith in it altogether.

ULTIMATELY BTC-E SET A PRECEDENT BY DOING WHAT IT DID.

It is not out of the realm of possibilities that governments could put pressure on their local businesses that accept BTC and make them blacklist any number of bitcoins that have been stolen.

This would imply that blacklisted bitcoins would be priced lower than whitelisted bitcoins if my said scenario were to come true.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

Pages: « 1 ... 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 [447] 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: