Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 01:57:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 [388] 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312366 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 05:40:45 AM

The tail emission in Monero makes it mathematically impossible for Monero to be x% mined in y years.. 

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1103

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 06:00:18 AM

The tail emission in Monero makes it mathematically impossible for Monero to be x% mined in y years.. 

Not exactly. It can be x% mined in y years for the coming z years, right? If after 4 years it is 80% mined, and then there is tail inflation of 0.3% per year (making numbers up here), then you could say that 70% of the coins for the next 100 years will be mined in the first 4 years...or something.
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 06:25:09 AM

Not exactly. It can be x% mined in y years for the coming z years, right? If after 4 years it is 80% mined, and then there is tail inflation of 0.3% per year (making numbers up here), then you could say that 70% of the coins for the next 100 years will be mined in the first 4 years...or something.

Both correct of course.
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 06:27:24 AM

The view key is well known, but it can be a blunt instrument, since it reveals all payments for the entire lifetime of an account (including past and future). It is less known that you can disclose individual payments on a case by case basis, as needed:

Whoa, I did *not* know this.  I thought it was a one-time shot.  Very cool.  That pretty much wraps up necessary transparency.  I can't think of any other optional transparency that would be needed.

I  *also* did not know that.

Is this a feature inherent in all crypto note implementations? Or is this unique to Monero?

Its inherent in how cryptonote signatures work (earlier I quoted from the original cryptonote white paper).

Most of these features are not implemented very well if at all in terms of tooling but the cryptography/protocol makes them possible, and I'm sure support will come in time.
G2M

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Activity: 616

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 06:42:27 AM

And another problem with this community: super defensive people right from the get go!

I own Bitcoin and Monero. I do not own Ether.

They may be business ventures, but it's disappointing to me that after all this time positioning Monero as the anonymous currency to go for, we're still worth several million in total.
The trouble is that the free market does not value what we have to offer. This is my concern.

You're right.  You seem to have a history of supporting Monero while keeping a realistic outlook.  Excuse the shill-cusations. 

The price is a side-effect of the ultimate purpose, so don't focus on it. 

Think about it like this.  You come to me, AmericanPegaHitch and say, "I want women to fall at my feet," and I say, "Ok, we can do that, but it's going to take some work.  You're gonna need to hit the gym pretty much every day and get a 10/10 bod + abs, we're gonna need to get you an impeccable wardrobe and haircut, and you are gonna need to develop the confidence of an NFL superstar.  It's gonna be a lot of work, but if you do it all you'll become a god among men." 

"Yeah, but when are the women gonna fall for me?" 

"That is a side effect of all the work you're going to be putting in.  Do you know what we call the guys who just want to skip right to the women-wanting-them stage without putting in the work?" 

"No, what?" 

"We call them Bytecoiners."

To increase muscle mass in the most efficient way possible, you need to warm up before each and every workout. As your muscles are getting worked out more, there is a higher chance that they will get injured. By warming up, these injuries can be prevented. Before you lift anything heavy, do 5-10 minutes of light cardio, followed by a few light or intermediate sets of your regular exercises.
 http://vitacleanseblogs.com/testo-factor-x/

So apparently if I go to the gym every day and take testo factor x, my friend Dr Calvin here seems to think I'll be a millionaire.

Best speculation ever.

I put these side by side BC adorable.

Anyways .. I speculate that the bimonthly or monthly buying pattern will continue until the orders are filled. Personally I'm not raising my buy order.

Wind picked up: F4BC1F4BC0A2A1C4

banditryandloot goin2mars kbm keyboard-mash theusualstuff

probably a few more that don't matter for much.
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 10:40:15 AM

Added a few XMR recently. Chart is looking nice, by "design"?  Grin

Curious, I know it has been discussed before but given the nature of Crypto (constantly evolving, quick to change, etc.), I wonder about price projections here.
Yeah, a shot in the dark in Crypto land. If America gets stupid and decides to start something with Russia, if the financial meltdown really starts in the next year
or so, etc. - then all bets might be off. (Crypto needs some time to take hold imo.)

I'm wondering, BTC has so much behind it:
public blockchain - all the research regarding ownership ledgers (e.g. banks, property, etc.)
Starting to be heard by more and more people
Payment backbone (maybe more banks, CC's, etc.)

Now, Monero can touch on some of the same things, but obviously not all of them. That is fine, no problem there. More than enough to go around.
But what happens when BTC is 10,000 per coin? I mean it has to get there to really be functional (and much much much higher for that matter).

I see Monero (in the relative near term anyway) as being more of a store of value. Perhaps as a personal transfer of wealth. But I am not sure it will
be used in the same ways as BTC. So how do you justify price as BTC goes up? It might be as we have seen in the past with LTC and other cryptos -
As they became popular the price actually rose against Bitcoin.

I think at some price point, the opposite might happen. When BTC is 10k, can the alts realistically keep up?
Well, if your Average Joe wants to get in (and there will be millions of them), then yes, it can.
Ideas? I know many of you are way more connected regarding these topics than me. A fun play in the mind none the less.

Thanks in advance and don't forget,
It is about sharing

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 11:02:38 AM

Still.... if you want to own Monero the time to do so is fucking NOW, before the GUI comes out.  And if you haven't compiled the latest source yet... well, that perpetual database the devs have been working on since 1991 is almost done.

Careful giving advice there. I had this same assumption over a year ago and got slightly burnt, but long term, I should be ok. XMR I believe hast hit ~ 1.60 USD per coin back in like may of 2014, and then sunk as low (?) as .25 USD this past winter, assuming my memory serves me well.

I think it was even higher, somewhere around 2$, you can see most of the $ XMR prices here -> http://coincap.io/#/coin/xmr. However, XMR got hit pretty bad by the bearmarket in BTC, if the bearmarket hadn't sustained that long we probably would've seen a different price. Remember that a bearmarket in BTC significantly lowers the confidence in cryptocurrencies in general and thus gives a leveraged effect on most alts. But I think we have seen the bottom now for BTC (not entirely sure) and thus some upwards room will be created for XMR.

Regarding the GUI, devs shifted priorities after the August 2014 block attack and focussed on fundamentals first (see this comment by fluffypony -> https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/3g227j/questions_about_monero/ctu5ior?context=3).

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2015, 11:33:55 AM

Added a few XMR recently. Chart is looking nice, by "design"?  Grin

Curious, I know it has been discussed before but given the nature of Crypto (constantly evolving, quick to change, etc.), I wonder about price projections here.
Yeah, a shot in the dark in Crypto land. If America gets stupid and decides to start something with Russia, if the financial meltdown really starts in the next year
or so, etc. - then all bets might be off. (Crypto needs some time to take hold imo.)

I'm wondering, BTC has so much behind it:
public blockchain - all the research regarding ownership ledgers (e.g. banks, property, etc.)
Starting to be heard by more and more people
Payment backbone (maybe more banks, CC's, etc.)

Now, Monero can touch on some of the same things, but obviously not all of them. That is fine, no problem there. More than enough to go around.
But what happens when BTC is 10,000 per coin? I mean it has to get there to really be functional (and much much much higher for that matter).

I see Monero (in the relative near term anyway) as being more of a store of value. Perhaps as a personal transfer of wealth. But I am not sure it will
be used in the same ways as BTC. So how do you justify price as BTC goes up? It might be as we have seen in the past with LTC and other cryptos -
As they became popular the price actually rose against Bitcoin.

I think at some price point, the opposite might happen. When BTC is 10k, can the alts realistically keep up?
Well, if your Average Joe wants to get in (and there will be millions of them), then yes, it can.
Ideas? I know many of you are way more connected regarding these topics than me. A fun play in the mind none the less.

Thanks in advance and don't forget,
It is about sharing

Monero: store of value - definitely near term, considering tail emissions. But don't worry. I'm sure someone will make an unobtanium version for whatever reason.

I see bitcoin going to 10k per coin in ~ 50 years. BTC will go up because the powers that be will actually use it. Once these idiots realize that blockchain without bitcoin is just a shared database, and company A aint gonna trust company B's database, and C and D etc., they'll realize "oh thats what the common ledger is for. So we can trust each other by not having to trust each other" because, you know, these idiots don't understand trust because they're in business / banking and their modus operandi is probably 15 - 30% "well, I'll tell them this, but I'll do that, and what they don't know won't hurt them, and I'll probably get away with it" (ref: 2008 crisis). At that point, bitcoin infrastructure will be so centralized that we'll probably approach some kind of mutually assured destruction pact for the public blockchain. The public pool - comprised of the existing ones, still run by independent miners - The US Fed pool, and the China pool will be the big players jockeying over hash power. Entities that we now know as banks will also have a share of the network, so it will probably be something like:

20% china
20% USA
20% banks
20% public
20% other

Due to this centralized nature of the infrastructure, and because the blockchain has become the contractual superhighway, access to this highway will be set by the governments. I don't see fiat leaving our financial system in this 50 year timeframe; instead fiat's value will be determined by its bitcoin value. Ref: gold standard slipping as safe haven.

How does monero tie in, and whats the value?

With any luck, the Monero network grows in a different pattern than Bitcoin. Instead of specialized mining hardware introduced that's designed to connect to pools, each piece of hardware is its own node. Furthermore, someone cracks the POW / technology evolution problem. I.e., any given piece of hardware will only ever achieve X% of network hashrate. Monero becomes the private contractual superhighway, but is primarily used as currency. For everything that benefits and/or requires the sunlight of a public blockchain, the public would use bitcoin. For everything else, there's Monero.

now THATS some speculation!

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 12:20:45 PM

Thanks for the reply. I can't imagine BTC being 10,000 in 50 years. If it is 10,000 in 50 years, honestly, it will be Niche. This is just too powerful of a tech.

Store of value for sure.
BTC should see 10,000 in 3-5 years, max. This is just simple math. The market cap has to go up soon or it won't be useful for the wealthy looking to move money.
10,000 per BTC X 15,000 BTC = 15 Trillion. That is a starting point for this type of "financial instrument."
The current financial system is not going to last 3-5 years.

When BTC is 10,000 USD, that is only around a 35 times increase from current levels.
If Monero gets popular (enough), .70 X 35 = app. 25 bucks a coin.
Now, for the average person who can use (simple tech in the next 2 years), 25 bucks is a bargain.
So, I just don't see it happening. I really think XMR (if it is top 5, along with the others) will have to go up (ratio wise), just based on the psychology of the "1 Unit" price.
Who knows though, maybe cooler heads prevail.

And we certainly can't look out more than 2-3 years anyway, so many variables on the near horizon, in both the space and Global situation.

IAS

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2015, 12:33:47 PM

Store of value for sure.
BTC should see 10,000 in 3-5 years, max. This is just simple math. The market cap has to go up soon or it won't be useful for the wealthy looking to move money.

Is storing all transactions on a public database for all time useful for wealthy people looking to move money?

Doubt it.

Its About Sharing
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 12:39:59 PM

Store of value for sure.

Is storing all transactions on a public database for all time useful for wealthy people looking to move money?

Doubt it.

If you want to replace the word "wealthy" with banks, so be it.
And don't forget there are plenty of mixers. If wealthy buy BTC NOT through exchanges, it won't matter.

I don't fully disagree with you however. Consider, if TPTB see this as a problem, they just make it illegal to dissuade people.
I don't think there is a simple answer.

Elaborate.  Grin

BTC = Black Swan.
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2015, 01:03:11 PM
Last edit: August 08, 2015, 01:17:57 PM by generalizethis

Store of value for sure.

Doubt it.

And don't forget there are plenty of mixers. If wealthy buy BTC NOT through exchanges, it won't matter.

I don't fully disagree with you however. Consider, if TPTB see this as a problem, they just make it illegal to dissuade people.

Elaborate.  Grin

I think it is those estimated to be hiding upwards of 20 trillion dollars (www.forbes.com/sites/frederickallen/2012/07/23/super-rich-hide-21-trillion-offshore-study-says/) that don't want to use public blockchains. Though I imagine some banks will realize the security risks before it becomes apparent to everyone.

Gillette

Activity: 744
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 02:27:10 PM

Interesting... While btc is down, xmr is up Smiley
wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 02:40:13 PM

slapper, you are welcome to post your opinions on Monero's short-term or long-term prospects. Just insulting people is neither on-topic nor welcome

I got no problem with people. People are cool. If you are going to throw me under the bus that is fine too. However how come you don't even slap some of the rags on their wrists calling the distribution as "80 % premine in 4 years". Who do I need to fuck to get that kind of treatment? Another troll posts on this thread repeatedly with his gibberish (and we all know who that is) but you don't even pull them on the side to warm them. It's fucking exhausting watching the same shit, and I needed to vent.

TC drives many of us crazy but his posts as ludicrous as they are, are speculative in nature.

Andretti83

Activity: 297
Merit: 112

PRIVATE AND NOT PREMINED: MONERO, AEON, KARBO

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 02:42:41 PM

It is less known that you can disclose individual payments on a case by case basis, as needed:

I always thought viewkey for entire address and only for one individual payment are nice, but there need to be something in between.
Is it possible, maybe even planned, to make wallet function, that can export all individual viewkeys for set period of time?
And then there should be block explorer, that allows to import this batch of viewkeys in one pass.

I'm not sure about real implementations, but probably for hypothetical tax checking, this may be much more convenient
than revealing entire address history, or dealing with every transaction one by one.

slap

Activity: 564
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 03:35:02 PM

Yep, hence the question I dropped few days earlier; is xmr being used as an hedge towards btc?
Ofcourse you can drop btc in different altcoins as an hedge, but xmr seems the weapon of choice for this.
Confirmed?
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 03:56:23 PM

I like the fact that people are talking about 2000 usd Monero price - even though many are pretty critical towards that price for Monero.
I have given arguments why it is possible that Monero reach it (I am not saying it is most likely taking place but certainly it is possible).
However, the people who critisize this view never gives even one argument why it is not going to happen. The best arguments against that is "It will not happen because it is TrueCryptonaire who says so" (meanwhile TrueCryptonaire is one of the view who is right pretty often - not always but often).

Actually the amount of sceptics is making me even more bullish as there are still many people who need to adapt to Monero.

If you want to make money you usually need to be ahead of the mainstream, but also it is important that the mainstream is following you, but only later when we have reached the higher price.  Grin
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 04:27:24 PM

Store of value for sure.

Doubt it.

Elaborate.  Grin

I think it is those estimated to be hiding upwards of 20 trillion dollars (www.forbes.com/sites/frederickallen/2012/07/23/super-rich-hide-21-trillion-offshore-study-says/) that don't want to use public blockchains. Though I imagine some banks will realize the security risks before it becomes apparent to everyone.

Yeah, we are splitting hairs at this point. It is essentially a new asset class with (relatively) no one on board. Just legit storage on BTC must be huge.
I can equally imagine what you say about XMR and others who want to keep things a secret huge as well. Who knows, if governments
continue down the Bail in Mode (not bail out), they might essentially be helping the cause.

I wonder if BTC will still be used here, in part anyway, as you will need to go from XMR to $$$ and BTC might be in between, or other cryptos.
I think we will not recognize this space in 3-5 years. Forget about 20 years!

BTC = Black Swan.
slap

Activity: 564
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 04:47:19 PM

I like the fact that people are talking about 2000 usd Monero price - even though many are pretty critical towards that price for Monero.
So far you are the only one mentioning 2000, as far as I read. No trollness intended.
Can you tell me why you think so and where you read about the others mentioning that price?
tia
hodlmybtc

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2015, 04:58:07 PM

So far you are the only one mentioning 2000, as far as I read. No trollness intended.
Can you tell me why you think so and where you read about the others mentioning that price?
tia

You should take his words with a grain of salt, when he's bullish he's posting stuff like that, when he's bearish he thinks current prices are way overpriced.

Yep, hence the question I dropped few days earlier; is xmr being used as an hedge towards btc?
Ofcourse you can drop btc in different altcoins as an hedge, but xmr seems the weapon of choice for this.
Confirmed?

I'm using XMR as an hedge against BTC and ofcourse more people in the Monero community are doing this.

As you said every altcoin can do this, but I believe that Monero has a good chance to survive with BTC, BTC the public ledger, XMR the private ledger and some other 2.0 ledgers alongside with them.
Pages: « 1 ... 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 [388] 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: