Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 07:14:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 [407] 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312366 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 04:03:03 AM

Looks like I'll be slumming in the altcoin section now that XT is moved there. So I have a question about Monero. I am interested in looking into a Monero based technology. Is there a block size limit with Monero?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jungian
Legendary

Activity: 930
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 04:16:45 AM

Looks like I'll be slumming in the altcoin section now that XT is moved there. So I have a question about Monero. I am interested in looking into a Monero based technology. Is there a block size limit with Monero?

The block size limit is dynamic

https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/blob/c41d14b2aa3fc883d45299add1cbb8ebbe6c9ed8/src/cryptonote_core/blockchain.cpp#L2230-L2244

Median of last 'sz' blocks, with lower-limit * 2

I think Monero (XMR) is very interesting.
https://moneroeconomy.com/faq/why-monero-matters
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 04:33:56 AM

Is XMR dead already?

sooner or later it will be dead anyway.
as the old risto said ,there is  a very tiny chance that monero will ever be success.
but for now we can good gamble with it Wink

I think Risto's predictions are biased by the number of abandoned coins that are not even meant to achieve to any success (they have been made for making a pump and dump or some coins are made perhaps also for experimenta & educational reasons). The fact is, Monero will be as good as we want it to be. It is largerly on our hands (of course everything is in the hands of the Creator). We can make this success if we so want.

I think Monero has many things that makes it rare project. Not the least one is that the community has no lack of money to buy up this coin from the weak shaking hands.

These days are the days when it is important to try to start accumulation of Moneros as the price can start serious rising any moment now as there are not that many Moneros to be mined (if we exclude the tail emission). Bear in mind, Monero is still below 10 usd which would be cool to achieve this year and 100 usd in 2016.  Roll Eyes
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 05:43:51 AM

Is XMR dead already?

sooner or later it will be dead anyway.
as the old risto said ,there is  a very tiny chance that monero will ever be success.
but for now we can good gamble with it Wink

Monero can only be a failure if every member of the community abandons it entirely. A comparison with CKG is perhaps in order:

CKG is only owned by 94 player characters in the game (corporations excluded since they are owned by the player chars). Of these,
- 58 own at least 0.1% of it,
- 11 own at least 1.0%, and
- 1 owns at least 10%.

The market cap is 700,000 XMR, which is 7,446 XMR per PC.

If some part of the community leaves, pressuring the market cap down by their sales, it is more than likely that the rest bid up the assets, because otherwise their weekly profit soars too high - it is a competitive market.

XMR has interest-bearing usage in the game: the last time bonds were issued, they paid 82% per realyear. CKG is paying dividends, which at the current pace make it earn about 30% per year. The building/repair projects are currently returning about multiples per year.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 05:57:40 AM

First welcome.

There is no max blocksize limit baked into the Monero code. The blocksize limit is dynamic as explained in the code quote above. I must say that I have been concerned about the max blocksize limit in Bitcoin for well over two years and actually found out about Monero while researching this issue back in June of 2014. I will also add that most of the POW altcoins have baked in  max blocksize limits because they were forked from either Bitcoin or Litcoin, so the ticking time bomb may be there also.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 06:09:03 AM

I almost got heart attack when I looked at bitcoin's price.
What's going on? Is it the block size debate?
If it is, it is important to start marketing actions to bitcoin community so that they will not abandon the crypto completely. Monero can potentially save the crypto world.
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 06:31:04 AM

If it is, it is important to start marketing actions to bitcoin community so that they will not abandon the crypto completely. Monero can potentially save the crypto world.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3hiwam/everybody_settle_down_the_price_crash_has_nothing/

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
G2M

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Activity: 616

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 06:48:05 AM

It was glorious.

Initially I figured someone was dropping eth profits for fiat. But the suddenness of it all lends more to the story farfiman posted.

Just a freak crash. I can add a new feeling to my list now though.

That feeling when the btc market bounces between 180 and 250 in an amount of time long enough to at least sign into a website and click 'buy'.

'BTC 20-40% off sale' makes for a really good day.

Wind picked up: F4BC1F4BC0A2A1C4

banditryandloot goin2mars kbm keyboard-mash theusualstuff

probably a few more that don't matter for much.
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 06:59:45 AM

It was glorious.

Initially I figured someone was dropping eth profits for fiat. But the suddenness of it all lends more to the story farfiman posted.

Just a freak crash. I can add a new feeling to my list now though.

That feeling when the btc market bounces between 180 and 250 in an amount of time long enough to at least sign into a website and click 'buy'.

'BTC 20-40% off sale' makes for a really good day.

I do not know what to think about it. Yes, bitcoin has a lot of volatility but it looks it has over years have had the volatility more downwards than upwards.
Bitcoin is illiquid at these prices so probably it means it will dive again. I hope the bitcoiners start to realize the probability to reach 1000 usd/btc any time soon (if ever) has declined radically. The block size issue will not help, especially if the community will be divided into two camps by the fork. Increasing Monero holdings/starting to convert bitcoins into Monero is becoming more and more vital these days before anything bigger happens which cannot be fixed anymore.
G2M

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Activity: 616

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 07:44:06 AM

Pretty sure the cats still in the bag on this one.

A hundred million dollars was created from nothing recently, and about 2% of that traded today. Blocksize debate is moving nowhere, and same goes for most of crypto. Both these on top of the lack of any real garnished attention toward the cryptosphere for damn near two years now.

That's a time period in which 99% of crypto exists for a lot of people. Certainly the majority.

People aren't seeing gains, reason to be here, logic to any or most of the original design goals has been tossed out, interesting discussions often end in some nutjob not only telling you all about but also redefining pretty much any noun to fit their own purposes.

I guess there's plenty of reasons to finally start focusing on the ground from the top of all those turtles. Nobody would blame anyone at this point.

But still, cats in the bag.

I sure would find it awkward to navigate a distinct market if I was buying gold priced in silver, or silver priced in gold, or bread priced in hot dog buns, or mustard priced in ketchup bottles, and especially steak priced in ham.

We really need a solid real USD market before the years out. I'm sure not just talking about releasing a website .. It takes months to establish liquidity and eliminate security bugs.

Wind picked up: F4BC1F4BC0A2A1C4

banditryandloot goin2mars kbm keyboard-mash theusualstuff

probably a few more that don't matter for much.
camu6

Activity: 158
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 08:42:30 AM

I do not know what to think about it. Yes, bitcoin has a lot of volatility but it looks it has over years have had the volatility more downwards than upwards.
Bitcoin is illiquid at these prices so probably it means it will dive again. I hope the bitcoiners start to realize the probability to reach 1000 usd/btc any time soon (if ever) has declined radically. The block size issue will not help, especially if the community will be divided into two camps by the fork. Increasing Monero holdings/starting to convert bitcoins into Monero is becoming more and more vital these days before anything bigger happens which cannot be fixed anymore.

Maybe this is what monero needs even more than bitcoin doing just fine and reaching new highs. Even though I don't like what's happening to Bitcoin at the moment, maybe this is the incentive people needed to look more into bitcoin alternatives. This could help with increasing monero's popularity in general.

We really need a solid real USD market before the years out. I'm sure not just talking about releasing a website .. It takes months to establish liquidity and eliminate security bugs.

The cryptocurrency cats are out of the bag, people just need incentives to pick the right one.
You are right, we need a direct EUR/USD -> XMR market. How will we be able to grow above / challenge bitcoin, if bitcoin is the vehicle we use to buy our moneroj?
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 08:43:41 AM

You are right in this one.
The easiest way to start is to be accepted by some major bitcoin exchange that already has the infrastructure and good enough know-how to maintain it. In other words, a trusted exchange.

It surely helps also if Risto (or anyone else his size of stakeholder - I am not that big despite I have a decent position in XMR accumulated over 1 year now) could open the Monero window for larger bitcoin holders who want to start buying Moneros without too much slippage.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 10:43:01 AM

The block size limit is dynamic

https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/blob/c41d14b2aa3fc883d45299add1cbb8ebbe6c9ed8/src/cryptonote_core/blockchain.cpp#L2230-L2244

Median of last 'sz' blocks, with lower-limit * 2

Code explained by tacotime on reddit:

As I noted in the thread, this is similar to the block sizing algorithm for Monero and other CryptoNote coins. A quadratic penalty is imposed such that block subsidy = base subsidy * ((block size / median size of last 400 blocks) - 1)2, with the penalty being applied after you build a block larger than the median size. The maximum block size is 2*median size. Because subsidy is based around the number of coins in existence, the 'burned' subsidy is deferred to be paid out to future blocks.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/389pq6/elastic_block_cap_with_rollover_penalties_my/crts1do

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 10:50:05 AM

CK will be released next week. Crypto Kingdom = the cat. Beware.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 02:05:20 PM

Just memorize the seed, if you can't trust your own brain/soul who can you trust.

The Fallibility of Memory: http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4446
hodlmybtc

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2015, 08:32:29 PM

Some bids popping up

Bid side still very weak and will probably stay like that with ETH still going remotely strong, unless some serious buying happens and not every seller is just dumping at market.

Still firmly in the uptrending channel but there is a lot of uncertainty in the market, setting low bids nearly always works.
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 09:47:07 PM

I think fundamentally Eth is not a threath to Monero since Monero and ETH are different concepts. They are different products despite they have something in common (if anything, they both are traded in Poloniex).
The only way I see ETH as a threath to XMR is the fact that ETH sucks so many bitcoins from the lending markets that having a long position in XMR is not that profitable.
Later actually ETH can potentially a good for XMR. As ETH markets settle down at some point, ETH investors will diversify and certainly XMR is one coin that is a valid alternative to add in one's portfolio and then XMR can share some of ETH's liquidity. That's my speculation.  Smiley

Some big bitcoiners might be interested also converting even larger amounts of bitcoins into XMR thanks to possible split of btc network. They need a way to buy bigger amounts of Moneros against the scenario of bitcoin's failure (Monero is an excellent hedge against bitcoin's tech risks such as this block size debate).
I see this ongoing debate a potential threath to bitcoin's network effect. Especially if the worst case scenario happens: the coin splits into two different coins and the community breaks. Then we can pretty much can say good bye to bitcoin's market leadership. The best case scenario is that everybody will accept the new fork and the sun is shining.. However, it doesn't help bitcoin's network effect if the price keeps slowly declining. Nobody wants to lose money forever.
hodlmybtc

Activity: 700

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2015, 10:13:13 PM

Yes that's kind of what I wanted to say as XMR is mainly traded on Poloniex for now and ETH also.

Everyone and their mother margin longing ETH is bad for XMR because margin longers are encouraged to close their positions due to the fees when there isn't that much movement.
americanpegasus

Activity: 770

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 11:39:08 PM

CK will be released next week. Crypto Kingdom = the cat. Beware.

I read something about how it functions as more than just a Farmville clone with retro graphics... I apologize for not giving it more time because I really respect you getting something like this started.  I will mention it on my podcast when I launch record the initial episode this week. 

I also heard it will enable me to buy/sell actual products through virtual storefronts?  Is that a launch feature or something planned down the road? 

Is there a concise fact/hype sheet you can refer me to so I can better understand your project?

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
americanpegasus

Activity: 770

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 12:56:11 AM

I'm about to release a network speculation chart... but I need a reasonable guess as to how many Monero users there currently are. 

Would you say 5,000?  10,000?

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
Pages: « 1 ... 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 [407] 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: