Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:41:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 [425] 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312379 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 07, 2015, 02:46:06 AM

i see monero shills continually trolling litecoin, as if they need to discredit it to overtake it on coinmarketcap. this itself always turns me off monero.

occasionally i get over that and attempt to give monero a go.......

like this morning....well

how in any even remotest dream do you guys think monero has a snow balls chance of even being adopted by even 1/1000th of btt members here let alone anyone else in the world outside?

just curious?

sure you guys will treat it as a troll, but seriously this coins almost unusable in its current state  Huh

is it command line or do i have the wrong client  Huh

Who is trolling litecoin? I've actually been on the litecoin vs. dash thread discrediting dash. If you're talking about NEMaSCAM's thread, I suggest you look at his or her post history to see what he or she is about.

One interesting side effect of all of these accusations of shilling and spamming directed at Monero supporters is that should Monero take of, none of the Monero early adopters could be accused of having an
"unfair" advantage.

its certainly not baseless accusations anyone who reads this forum sees the mindless shilling, also most the 'litecoin is dead' types can be traced back to monero supporters threads, tis how i found monero.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kelsey
Legendary

View Profile
September 07, 2015, 02:47:49 AM

Looking at LTC's supply inflation, its level of use, and its userbase (mostly Chinese), I think it is clearly a coin that will be devastated during a Chinese economic correction and greater crypto bear market. Will XMR overtake LTC? That remains to be seen. What I can tell you is that LTC has a hell of a lot more to lose (100 million+ market cap) than XMR does.

what fud.

depends on how you calc inflation., count it the legit way and LTC, BTC etc are deflationary.
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2015, 02:50:36 AM

i see monero shills continually trolling litecoin, as if they need to discredit it to overtake it on coinmarketcap. this itself always turns me off monero.

occasionally i get over that and attempt to give monero a go.......

like this morning....well

how in any even remotest dream do you guys think monero has a snow balls chance of even being adopted by even 1/1000th of btt members here let alone anyone else in the world outside?

just curious?

sure you guys will treat it as a troll, but seriously this coins almost unusable in its current state  Huh

is it command line or do i have the wrong client  Huh

Who is trolling litecoin? I've actually been on the litecoin vs. dash thread discrediting dash. If you're talking about NEMaSCAM's thread, I suggest you look at his or her post history to see what he or she is about.

One interesting side effect of all of these accusations of shilling and spamming directed at Monero supporters is that should Monero take of, none of the Monero early adopters could be accused of having an
"unfair" advantage.

its certainly not baseless accusations anyone who reads this forum sees the mindless shilling, also most the 'litecoin is dead' types can be traced back to monero supporters threads, tis how i found monero.

Trust me, the devs have tried using their mighty dev powers to stop the shilling. I even tried to use my troll-appointed dev powers to stop the shilling by using a god-like commanding voice. Turns out people are people and no one can control anyone, so, enjoy the show.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
September 07, 2015, 02:51:08 AM

It is not whether or not the accusations have merit, but rather that they serve to protect the early adopters who got in cheap, after Monero moons. This of course applies only in the event that Monero does moon. So I actually consider the accusations a form of insurance.  

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
kelsey
Legendary

View Profile
September 07, 2015, 02:52:45 AM

why do amercian's if ask say two or three questions, only answer one  Huh

and the one they have to get defensive about

generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2015, 03:07:45 AM

Why do Aussies make generalizations about Americans Huh

kelsey
Legendary

View Profile
September 07, 2015, 03:15:41 AM

why do american's think there's such a thing as american english; its spelt; generalisations  Wink
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
September 07, 2015, 03:19:28 AM
Last edit: September 07, 2015, 03:31:03 AM by ArticMine

First, I am not American, if by American you mean a citizen or resident of the United States. To answer your other questions.

The "official" versions are close to nine months old, and require upwards of 7 GB of RAM to run. In order to get the latest versions one actually needs to compile from source. Then Monero only requires about  60 MB of RAM and has a host of other very significant under the hood  improvements. Furthermore in both cases it is a command line interface. To use my real estate analogy the foundation is very solid but the bathroom stinks really bad. This is why one can purchase XMR at the current prices. There are other coins that have very serious problems in the "foundation" (out of sight out of mind), but the "bathrooms" are clean and beautiful. They are also more expensive.

I have been around enough to realize that 1) Freshly painted rotten wood actually sells very well in real estate. 2) A freshly painted rusted used car also sells very well, as long as the rust is hidden. Caveat Emptor.

Edit: The devs have been working very hard building a very solid foundation and cannot be bothered with "cleaning up the bathroom".

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
jehst

Activity: 798

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
September 07, 2015, 03:25:24 AM

why do american's think there's such a thing as american english; its spelt; generalisations  Wink

americans **
it's **

you're having a hard time today.

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
September 07, 2015, 03:35:39 AM

also most the 'litecoin is dead' types can be traced back to monero supporters threads

I seriously doubt that. I have seen most of the Litecoin is dead threads and I didn't notice any dominant Monero community presence. I think I commented on one such thread, but that hardly constitutes anything close to the whole idea being traced back to Monero. In fact I'm quite certain that the idea of Litecoin being in fact headed for zero, and the discussion of the idea widely on this forum, pre-dates Monero's existence by a fair bit.

(And indeed my opinion is that Litecoin is dead -- unless Bitcoin stumbles badly, which recent history suggests is a significant possibility -- in which case I do believe Litecoin could step up fairly easily as a drop-in replacement. Maybe that's another way of saying that Litecoin is not dead though.)
rangedriver

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

View Profile
September 07, 2015, 04:42:40 AM

also most the 'litecoin is dead' types can be traced back to monero supporters threads

It's kinda funny how scared you are of Monero. Upset the apple cart much?

It's also extraordinary why anyone would favour a dictatorial premined project over a quality co-operative. Personally I prefer fairly launched enterprises.

Perhaps that's the reason I'm on the Litecoin Association and an investor in both LTC and XMR.
kelsey
Legendary

View Profile
September 07, 2015, 04:54:10 AM

It's kinda funny how scared you are of Monero. Upset the apple cart much?

It's also extraordinary why anyone would favour a dictatorial premined project over a quality co-operative. Personally I prefer fairly launched enterprises.

Perhaps that's the reason I'm on the Litecoin Association and an investor in both LTC and XMR.

you've lost me here? scared of what, why, when and how  Huh
g4q34g4qg47ww

Activity: 478
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 07, 2015, 05:43:59 AM

links?

why do amercian's if ask say two or three questions, only answer one  Huh

americans? what? who have you assumed is an american and why?

Edit: As for the lack of an official GUI, this actually makes Monero very attractive to an investor because this causes Monero to have the "right things wrong with it". I learned about this concept in real estate investing where a house with a faeces encrusted bathroom and a solid foundation can be a much better buy than a house with a beautiful clean bathroom, and a foundation about to collapse.

LTC does in fact have a very fancy bathroom, perfectly suited for depositing bodily fluids and going about your day. As for the foundation, is it anything more than a weak hedge against a btc catastrophe? I got into crypto because of LTC mining profits and am grateful for that, but let's be real here, it brings a big boring nothing to the table. I've never fudded or trashed LTC before this moment, I wish the LTC community the best and hope they all get their yachts. But in all seriousness... LTC?  Quicker block discovery and unimaginative alternative algo to btc and..... anything? Adoption maybe? Name one place that I can not use xmr.to to make a purchase anywhere btc or ltc is accepted. I can't imagine why anyone would stumble into a thread populated by supporters of a coin sporting dynamic block size, opaque block chain, and much more future proof security than... everything? What are you expecting here other than to be laughed at?
kelsey
Legendary

View Profile
September 07, 2015, 05:46:08 AM

links?

why do amercian's if ask say two or three questions, only answer one  Huh

americans? what? who have you assumed is an american and why?

Edit: As for the lack of an official GUI, this actually makes Monero very attractive to an investor because this causes Monero to have the "right things wrong with it". I learned about this concept in real estate investing where a house with a faeces encrusted bathroom and a solid foundation can be a much better buy than a house with a beautiful clean bathroom, and a foundation about to collapse.

LTC does in fact have a very fancy bathroom, perfectly suited for depositing bodily fluids and going about your day. As for the foundation, is it anything more than a weak hedge against a btc catastrophe? I got into crypto because of LTC mining profits and am grateful for that, but let's be real here, it brings a big boring nothing to the table. I've never fudded or trashed LTC before this moment, I wish the LTC community the best and hope they all get their yachts. But in all seriousness... LTC?  Quicker block discovery and unimaginative alternative algo to btc and..... anything? Adoption maybe? Name one place that I can not use xmr.to to make a purchase anywhere btc or ltc is accepted. I can't imagine why anyone would stumble into a thread populated by supporters of a coin sporting dynamic block size, opaque block chain, and much more future proof security than... everything? What are you expecting here other than to be laughed at?

Q.E.D.
g4q34g4qg47ww

Activity: 478
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 07, 2015, 05:53:35 AM

Q.E.D.

What is it with LTC supporters that when you ask three questions they answer none and become offended by the obvious?
kelsey
Legendary

View Profile
September 07, 2015, 06:06:11 AM

Q.E.D.

What is it with LTC supporters that when you ask three questions they answer none and become offended by the obvious?

why is it some can't count past 3?

not even slightly offended by anything on this forum.

looks like in every word i write people just looking for a reason to debate, reaching for one, which is a waste of all our time.
noms

Activity: 220
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 07, 2015, 07:01:10 AM

Q.E.D.

why is it some can't count past 3?

not even slightly offended by anything on this forum.

looks like in every word i write people just looking for a reason to debate, reaching for one, which is a waste of all our time.

Yes, debate about XMR, especially in an *XMR Speculation thread* is really quite a waste of our time. We should probably all stop reading BCT and go about our "American" lives. /sarcasm

Monero.
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 07, 2015, 02:56:47 PM

In fact I'm quite certain that the idea of Litecoin being in fact headed for zero, and the discussion of the idea widely on this forum, pre-dates Monero's existence by a fair bit.

Yup. Take me for example. I've derided 99% of alts for years. I'm on record since well before Monero ranting about how Litecoin brings nothing to the table, and how the tweaks vs Bitcoin (supply, conf time, mining alg) are all meaningless in practice. Now that the meaninglessness of the tweaks is well understood, all Litecoin has left is this notion of a "back up" to Bitcoin. That one may actually have slight merit, but IMO, not one justifying a top-5 position.

Ever since Zerocash/coin was theorized a few years ago, I've thought that protocol-level privacy would be a niche that an alt-coin could fill, since Bitcoin would probably never implement it directly. Monero is the first coin to come along (with a reasonable launch) that can fill that niche, hence my assertion that it can attain decent market-cap in the alt space, and specifically that a more rational crypto market would likely price it higher than Litecoin.

I think there are a lot of people (especially those of us who correctly saw Bitcoin's value early on) on here who have a similar analysis; hence kelsey's feeling that Monero supporters don't like Litecoin. He's getting the causality mixed up, but there may be a correlation (not causation).

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2015, 03:08:14 PM

It's not because I see at least some potential in Monero that I dislike Litecoin, it's that way before Monero ever was even conceived I noticed that Litecoin offered nothing meaningful over Bitcoin aside from experiment and speculative venue. Philosophically, nothing is different with Litecoin over Bitcoin that Bitcoin doesn't already do well. The story with Monero is different because Bitcoin, when I first learned about Bitcoin, was considered anonymous (enough) but really, it's the most transparent method of ledgering.
ibuyltc

Activity: 149
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 07, 2015, 07:14:10 PM

I always thought Litecoin was going to be the #2 altcoin forever because of its "Bitcoin backup" status.  Boy, those were the days of being naive.

It should be pretty obvious that the #2 coin is going to be a privacy centric coin in the future.

Monero seems poised to take that spot, as continues its slow (but steady) growth.
Pages: « 1 ... 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 [425] 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: