Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:11:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 ... 139 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux mining distro for the Raspberry PI - MinePeon  (Read 684872 times)
Maidak
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1058

The OGz Club

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 02:37:12 PM

Hey for some reason the email alerts does not work ? I'm using stmp.gmail.com anyone else having issues with getting emails from gmail for this?

.The OGz Club.▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
████████████▀███▀████████████
██████████████▀█▀██████████████
████████████▄▄▄▄████████████
██████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████████▀
......The 1st & Only #MemeFi Project......
Website   ◢ Reddit   ◢ Telegram   ◢ Twitter   ◢ TikTok   ◢ Facebook

██████    ██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████
       ▄▄▄██▄▄▄
    ▄███████████▄
    █████████████▄
   ███████████████
▄█████████████████▄
▀▀▀▀█████████████▀██
    ▀█████████████▄
    ▄▀█████████████▄
   █▀ ▀▀▀██████████▌
▐███    ▄█████████▀▀
 ▀▀     ▄█████▀▀
       ███▀▀
      ██▀

██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tk1337

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 02:37:47 PM

How long does a class 10  8GB SD card in an RPi with MinePeon last? In weeks/months?

For a couple of days now my Pi is doing some odd things, like stopping mining/crashing. This morning my Peon was down for 8 hours (all Block Erupters green) but l could SSH into the machine and simply do a "sudo systemctl start cgminer.service" to get it mining again. 2 days ago I had to unplug the power cable from the Pi as it seemed to be hung up completely.
Before that the Pi was running for over a month straight.

Can this be the SC card? will it fill up with logs or other files at some point, or will MinePeon delete it if necessary? Could the SC card be degrading?

I'm still on 0.2.2 because I am afraid to update Wink

Maybe someone can make a new short guide on how to install and update the newest version of MinePeon + cgminer + the usb lcd screen (the one that was supposed to be working with 0.2.3a), just a rundown of the shell commands needed to get a working, not every couple hours rebooting miner.

I noticed (last night actually) that you need to expand the partitions if you're on a SD Card that's over 2GB. I don't think log files should fill up that quickly, but I did notice that the default image is at 1.7GB for the main working partition, which it's taking up 70% on that, smaller partitions for the other stuff seemed fine. however, 350mb (+/-100mb) of play area for the main partition.
Maidak
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1058

The OGz Club

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 02:41:39 PM

How long does a class 10  8GB SD card in an RPi with MinePeon last? In weeks/months?

For a couple of days now my Pi is doing some odd things, like stopping mining/crashing. This morning my Peon was down for 8 hours (all Block Erupters green) but l could SSH into the machine and simply do a "sudo systemctl start cgminer.service" to get it mining again. 2 days ago I had to unplug the power cable from the Pi as it seemed to be hung up completely.
Before that the Pi was running for over a month straight.

Can this be the SC card? will it fill up with logs or other files at some point, or will MinePeon delete it if necessary? Could the SC card be degrading?

I'm still on 0.2.2 because I am afraid to update Wink

Maybe someone can make a new short guide on how to install and update the newest version of MinePeon + cgminer + the usb lcd screen (the one that was supposed to be working with 0.2.3a), just a rundown of the shell commands needed to get a working, not every couple hours rebooting miner.

I noticed (last night actually) that you need to expand the partitions if you're on a SD Card that's over 2GB. I don't think log files should fill up that quickly, but I did notice that the default image is at 1.7GB for the main working partition, which it's taking up 70% on that, smaller partitions for the other stuff seemed fine. however, 350mb (+/-100mb) of play area for the main partition.

How do you expand the partitions?

.The OGz Club.▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
████████████▀███▀████████████
██████████████▀█▀██████████████
████████████▄▄▄▄████████████
██████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████████▀
......The 1st & Only #MemeFi Project......
Website   ◢ Reddit   ◢ Telegram   ◢ Twitter   ◢ TikTok   ◢ Facebook

██████    ██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████
       ▄▄▄██▄▄▄
    ▄███████████▄
    █████████████▄
   ███████████████
▄█████████████████▄
▀▀▀▀█████████████▀██
    ▀█████████████▄
    ▄▀█████████████▄
   █▀ ▀▀▀██████████▌
▐███    ▄█████████▀▀
 ▀▀     ▄█████▀▀
       ███▀▀
      ██▀

██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
stellan0r

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Medical Translations for Bitcoins

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 02:56:05 PM

yeah can I do that with a console command via SSH right into the Pi or do I need to shut down the RPi and do that on my Mac with an SD-Card reader?
(or even worse, do I need to do that before I install Minepeon?)

Allgemeine Gesundheitsberatung gegen Bitcoin-Zahlung. Bei Fragen einfach eine PM schicken!
If you want to send a thank you: BTC "1PZJvKvarRviQRQWejpvXW2j4e1xbT8MZb"
ct1aic

Activity: 714

Are ฿itcoins Radioactive?

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2013, 03:26:08 PM

Hey for some reason the email alerts does not work ? I'm using stmp.gmail.com anyone else having issues with getting emails from gmail for this?
Greetings. I think Neil is working on that. Meanwhile, see my comments about this problem @ this thread.

Rui Costa, PortugalBTC : 1ct1aicGoUVpZeovsw3cCcPJZJHV5JXtW
tk1337

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 05:19:25 PM

yeah can I do that with a console command via SSH right into the Pi or do I need to shut down the RPi and do that on my Mac with an SD-Card reader?
(or even worse, do I need to do that before I install Minepeon?)

should be able to do it through ssh no problem, I haven't done it yet, the only thing is you may have to download a disk utility through pacman. I'll play with it tonight when I get home after work and post the procedure (unless someone else beats me to it).
cardcomm

Activity: 294

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 07:32:11 PM

Hi All.

I just wanted to let everyone know that I've added a MtGox Bitcoin price ticker to the cgminerLCDStats script. I even added a cool colored arrow to indicate "price direction".

Note that the ticker isn't really real time - there is a delay of a few seconds between updates, so don't use it for trading or anything time sensitive!

I've tested the code pretty extensively on MinePeon v 0.2.2 with no problems. I'm not running v0.2.3 currently, but I HAVE done limited testing on that version.

I welcome your feedback, and I hope y'all find the code useful. If so, please consider a donation Smiley

You can find the updated code here:
https://github.com/cardcomm/cgminerLCDStats

Instructions on how to update cgminerLCDStats on MinePeon v0.2.3 to the current code can be found here:
https://github.com/cardcomm/cgminerLCDStats/blob/master/MinePeon%20Install.md

And finally, here is a photo of the new screen setup:

Easily see your cgminer status with my cgminerLCDStats app:  http://cardcomm.github.io/cgminerLCDStats/
Did my post help you or make you laugh? Let me know with Bitcoins at: 1CQfpMHQ5zVuZ5i9uxSHSSx4J8ZhehSjn3  Smiley
aahzmundus

Activity: 644

Invest & Earn: https://cloudthink.io

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 08:28:49 PM

So... I have 21 USB miners hooked up to four 7port D-Link hubs.  I originally daisy chained them all together and then plugged the first one into my PI... only 8 lit up and started mining.

I did some re-configuration and figured out that If I split them into two groups, and plug both those into the PI I can get 16 to run, 8 connected to each port on the pi.

Is there some hard limit where you can only run 8 miners per usb port on the PI?  Or what am I doing wrong here?

stellan0r

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 08:40:27 PM

So... I have 21 USB miners hooked up to four 7port D-Link hubs.  I originally daisy chained them all together and then plugged the first one into my PI... only 8 lit up and started mining.

I did some re-configuration and figured out that If I split them into two groups, and plug both those into the PI I can get 16 to run, 8 connected to each port on the pi.

Is there some hard limit where you can only run 8 miners per usb port on the PI?  Or what am I doing wrong here?

make a star shape - use 1 hub (can be passive without own power supply) and plug that into the Pi. Then plug all powered hubs into the "root" hub and plug the miners in the powered hubs, this should work. Don't use more than 5 miners on one d-link hub!

Allgemeine Gesundheitsberatung gegen Bitcoin-Zahlung. Bei Fragen einfach eine PM schicken!
stellan0r

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 08:41:27 PM

Hi All.

I just wanted to let everyone know that I've added a MtGox Bitcoin price ticker to the cgminerLCDStats script. I even added a cool colored arrow to indicate "price direction".

Note that the ticker isn't really real time - there is a delay of a few seconds between updates, so don't use it for trading or anything time sensitive!

I've tested the code pretty extensively on MinePeon v 0.2.2 with no problems. I'm not running v0.2.3 currently, but I HAVE done limited testing on that version.

I welcome your feedback, and I hope y'all find the code useful. If so, please consider a donation Smiley

Instructions on how to update cgminerLCDStats on MinePeon v0.2.3 to the current code can be found here:

cool!

is your guide (https://github.com/cardcomm/cgminerLCDStats/blob/master/MinePeon%20Install.md) still up to date if I use 0.2.2?

KyrosKrane

Activity: 295

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2013, 08:42:26 PM

I have the exact same problem.  The Pi has a limitation that it can only see five logical hubs, not including the root hub on the Pi itself.  The problem is, each D-Link physical hub is in fact two logical four-port hubs.  The "second" four-port hub is plugged into one of the ports on the "first" hub, which exposes seven ports for you to use.  If you plug three D-Link hubs into the Pi, it will see two logical hubs for each of the first two physical ones, but only one logical hub on the third physical one.  Attaching additional hubs won't do anything; the Pi won't see them at all.

I don't know if the limitation is five hubs per USB port on the Pi, or five hubs total -- I can't test this.  I use the second USB port on the Pi for Wifi access.  Though in retrospect, I guess I could just plug the Wifi dongle into a hub port and see if I can connect additional hubs to the other USB port...

Tips and donations: 1KyrosREGDkNLp1rMd9wfVwfkXYHTd6j5U  |  BTC P2Pool node: p2pool.kyros.info:9332
stellan0r

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 08:52:13 PM
Last edit: September 13, 2013, 09:12:57 PM by stellan0r

I have the exact same problem.  The Pi has a limitation that it can only see five logical hubs, not including the root hub on the Pi itself.  The problem is, each D-Link physical hub is in fact two logical four-port hubs.  The "second" four-port hub is plugged into one of the ports on the "first" hub, which exposes seven ports for you to use.  If you plug three D-Link hubs into the Pi, it will see two logical hubs for each of the first two physical ones, but only one logical hub on the third physical one.  Attaching additional hubs won't do anything; the Pi won't see them at all.

I don't know if the limitation is five hubs per USB port on the Pi, or five hubs total -- I can't test this.  I use the second USB port on the Pi for Wifi access.  Though in retrospect, I guess I could just plug the Wifi dongle into a hub port and see if I can connect additional hubs to the other USB port...

thats 4 hubs, 1 Belkin (without powersupply because I could not find it) with 3 D-Link 7 Port Hubs with 4 USB Miners each. The Belkin is plugged into the Pi, the 2nd port on the Pi is used by the wifi dongle

KyrosKrane

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2013, 08:59:50 PM

thats 4 hubs, 1 Belkin (without powersupply because I could not find it) with 3 D-Link 7 Port Hubs with 3 USB Miners each. The Belkin is plugged into the Pi, the 2nd port on the Pi is used by the wifi dongle
Interesting. Could you do me a favor, please, and run these commands on your Pi?  I'd love to see the output.

lsusb | grep hub
lsusb -t

Maybe that will give me some clues as to why both my Pi's only see five hubs each.

Tips and donations: 1KyrosREGDkNLp1rMd9wfVwfkXYHTd6j5U  |  BTC P2Pool node: p2pool.kyros.info:9332
stellan0r

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 09:12:03 PM

I know thats some list command, but as I am a Linux noob, what exactly do they do?

And yes, but you will have to wait until tomorrow morning, as I am in bed now *g*

cardcomm

Activity: 294

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 09:25:11 PM

Hi All.

cool!

is your guide (https://github.com/cardcomm/cgminerLCDStats/blob/master/MinePeon%20Install.md) still up to date if I use 0.2.2?

Yep, those instructions should work fine for a fresh install of 0.2.2 Smiley

If you want to update the existing code on 0.2.2 you could do something like (this will delete the current version and get the new code):

cd ~
sudo rm -r cgminerLCDStats
git clone https://github.com/cardcomm/cgminerLCDStats.git
cd cgminerLCDStats
sudo python2 cgminerLCDStats.py

Easily see your cgminer status with my cgminerLCDStats app:  http://cardcomm.github.io/cgminerLCDStats/
Did my post help you or make you laugh? Let me know with Bitcoins at: 1CQfpMHQ5zVuZ5i9uxSHSSx4J8ZhehSjn3  Smiley
KyrosKrane

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2013, 09:33:11 PM

I know thats some list command, but as I am a Linux noob, what exactly do they do?

And yes, but you will have to wait until tomorrow morning, as I am in bed now *g*

lsusb lists all the USB items connected to your Pi.  The command filters the output through grep, which searches for the word "hub".  This gives me a count of how many logical hubs your Pi is seeing.

The second command, with -t, asks the Pi to give a tree listing of the hubs.  That shows how the logical hubs are connected to each other. The output includes every USB device connected, which might show that some logical hubs are in fact empty on your system.

You can find out more about lsusb by using the man ("manual", as in instruction manual) command:

man lsusb

emsit

Activity: 63
Merit: 11

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2013, 10:09:50 PM
Last edit: September 13, 2013, 10:20:07 PM by emsit

Hello, You can expand the partition as follows:

1. Backup your system  Cheesy     //I am not responsible for any damages

minepeon@minepeon ~ $ sudo -s
[sudo] password for minepeon:    //Enter your password

minepeon /home/minepeon # cd     <enter>

minepeon ~ # fdisk -l     <enter>     // check if your SD is detected as /dev/mmcblk0

Code:
Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 7969 MB, 7969177600 bytes, 15564800 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk label type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x000c21e5

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/mmcblk0p1   *        2048      194559       96256    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/mmcblk0p2          194560    15564799     7685120   83  Linux

minepeon ~ # fdisk /dev/mmcblk0     <enter>
d     <enter>
2     <enter>
n     <enter>
p     <enter>
2     <enter>
<enter>
<enter>
W     <enter>

minepeon ~ # reboot     <enter>

Login again (sudo -s -> cd)

minepeon ~ # resize2fs /dev/mmcblk0p2     <enter>

minepeon ~ # reboot     <enter>

Login again (sudo -s -> cd)

minepeon ~ # df -h     <enter>     // check if your /dev/root has been extended  Roll Eyes

Code:
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root       7.3G  1.2G  5.8G  17% /
devtmpfs        107M     0  107M   0% /dev
tmpfs           115M     0  115M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           115M  260K  115M   1% /run
tmpfs           115M     0  115M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs           115M     0  115M   0% /tmp
/dev/mmcblk0p1   94M   24M   71M  26% /boot
emsit

Activity: 63
Merit: 11

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2013, 12:22:30 AM

The drop in long-term average hash rate to near zero is specific to the Pi, and probably to MinePeon. At boot time, the Pi's date starts at Jan 1, 1970. After a few minutes, a background task updates it to the right time.  But in the interim, cgminer has started. So to get the average,  it calculates your total hashes divided by run time. Since the apparent run time is over 43 years, the average is near zero.

A very logical response, thank you. I honestly didn't even think about the time issue playing a factor into this as I have a script on boot to set the time correctly, it should technically run before cgminer, but looks like it hangs sometimes. I will try delaying cgminer for a couple of seconds to let system scripts start, then run cgminer, I like the idea of a timed delay on the start of cgminer on bootup the more I think about it.

Again thanks.

Yeah, the lack of a RTC on the Pi doesn't seem like a big deal at first, but it can be a real PIA sometimes! :/

Whenever I reboot my RPi, I need to restart ntpd and then cgminer to get reasonable results.

Hello, If you have a problem with the update of date after reboot, edit this file openntpd.service.

and change network.target to network-online.target

Command:
minepeon@minepeon ~ $ sudo nano /usr/lib/systemd/system/openntpd.service
[sudo] password for minepeon:

edit line After=network.target -> After=network-online.target

Ctrl + X
Y
Ctrl + M

Wink
LogicalUnit

Activity: 299

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 01:46:21 AM
Last edit: September 14, 2013, 02:06:16 AM by LogicalUnit

Hi All.

I have been using this latest version of LCD Stats for a couple of days now. It works great, but after a day and a half or so, it freezes up, and I get the error described here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=290511.msg3134240#msg3134240

The miner is still running, it's just the LCD Stats that becomes unstable

MinePeon 0.2.2
tk1337

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 02:12:29 AM

Hi All.

nicely done.
Pages: « 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 ... 139 »
  Print  

Jump to: