Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 06:40:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 ... 221 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Avalon ASIC users thread  (Read 438331 times)
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 10:47:54 AM

question: can avalon be used to mine other sha-256 coins?
i think yes, but why in their site it states "note: Avalon ASIC is designed to only mine Bitcoins."
this is a faulty limitation of the device!
As far as i can understand, the ASIC part of Avalon is used only for sha-256 computations, correct?
Then it can be used for any application that uses this cryptographic algorithm?

No, sha256 only, that is the whole point of building an ASIC, it does one thing, but it does it very well.
Almost Smiley
Yes sha256 = Bitcoins, however, it will mine any alt-coin that uses exactly the same sha256 as BTC.
There are a few scam coins that use the same sha256 as BTC

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sgravina

Activity: 451
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 02:37:00 AM

Change it's IP address so it's on the same subnet as the rest of your home network. Example if you're using the 192.168.1.x subnet give the avalon unit an ip address between 1 and 255..ie 192.168.1.111 or something. To change the avalon's ip address go to the "Network" tab in its admin web interface.

That's so simple.  I just wasn't thinking it through very well.  Thanks.

OK it wasn't so simple.  I set the ip address from 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.1.100.   I lost the connection and had to turn the thing on and off again to connect.  Fortunately it started mining right away and I was able to log in with the laptop.  But how do I log in without the laptop using my wifi network?
rudrigorc2
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 08:27:03 AM

Change it's IP address so it's on the same subnet as the rest of your home network. Example if you're using the 192.168.1.x subnet give the avalon unit an ip address between 1 and 255..ie 192.168.1.111 or something. To change the avalon's ip address go to the "Network" tab in its admin web interface.

That's so simple.  I just wasn't thinking it through very well.  Thanks.

OK it wasn't so simple.  I set the ip address from 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.1.100.   I lost the connection and had to turn the thing on and off again to connect.  Fortunately it started mining right away and I was able to log in with the laptop.  But how do I log in without the laptop using my wifi network?

glad you managed to your get machine back from criminal hands
allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2013, 08:45:20 AM

OK it wasn't so simple.  I set the ip address from 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.1.100.   I lost the connection and had to turn the thing on and off again to connect.  Fortunately it started mining right away and I was able to log in with the laptop.  But how do I log in without the laptop using my wifi network?

Ok, so you want to log into the Avalon unit wirelessly? Meaning you want it to be wirelessly connected to your home network?

If so manually assign the WWAN interface (in the network tab) the IP address 192.168.1.100 , set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 and the default gateway to 192.168.1.1 (which I'm assuming is the IP address of your router). DNS server can be set to 192.168.1.1 (once again the IP address of your router which acts as a DNS forwarder).

If you do this make sure you remove any IP settings from the Avalon's LAN interface that way you don't get any IP conflicts (which you would get if you give both interfaces the same IP).

If you can I'd recommend connecting your Avalon miner to your home network via an Ethernet cable as it's a far more reliable connection.

Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 09:15:51 AM

Ok, so you want to log into the Avalon unit wirelessly? Meaning you want it to be wirelessly connected to your home network?

If so manually assign the WWAN interface (in the network tab) the IP address 192.168.1.100 , set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 and the default gateway to 192.168.1.1 (which I'm assuming is the IP address of your router). DNS server can be set to 192.168.1.1 (once again the IP address of your router which acts as a DNS forwarder).

If you do this make sure you remove any IP settings from the Avalon's LAN interface that way you don't get any IP conflicts (which you would get if you give both interfaces the same IP).

If you can I'd recommend connecting your Avalon miner to your home network via an Ethernet cable as it's a far more reliable connection.

Also, bear in mind that what you are being instructed to do isn't definitively "the answer". If you move the Avalon to a different network, your settings may or may not work, depending on the way that particular network has been set up. allinvain has given you typical instructions for a regular household network, but not every regular household network gets set up in the typical way! So, be prepared for a possible change to all of this stuff again!

Vires in numeris
ewibit
Legendary

Activity: 2955
Merit: 1049

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 10:57:35 AM

I have connected wirelessly
maybe this is the reason for the constantly intermittents?

how do I find where the issue is?
allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2013, 01:23:09 PM

To be honest, troubleshooting wireless reliability and intermittent connectivity issues is quite a bitch. Usually the first thing you'd want to look at is the quality of your router.  Cheap routers usually have weak radios and poor performing antennas. The other culprit is of course physical obstacles. Does your house have plaster walls? If so this will affect the strength of the wireless signal. Where you place your router and also where you locate the wireless clients (wireless devices) also matters.

If you absolutely must have it connected wirelessly then there are several things you can do:

1) Get a better router. A router that supports the 802.11n wireless standard is the idea. Also if the router has multiple antennas as is typical with the MIMO capable routers then that's even better.

2) If your router supports it remove it's antenna and swap it with a more sensitive one, but typically this has limited effectiveness as often it's not the router's receive sensitivity that is the issue. In some custom router firmwares you can modify the power at which the router's radios transmit at. Most likely if you're using a off-the-shelf router then this is not possible unless you want to mess around with flashing it with a custom firmware like dd-wrt, openwrt, tomato, etc.

3) Install a bigger and more sensitive antenna on your avalon miner. I'm not sure what the dBi rating is for the one it comes with but if you wanted to go all crazy on the wireless setup you can get one of those super sensitive 20 dBi parabolic dish antennas. Kind of extreme though.

4) Another option is to install a wireless repeater half way in between the avalon unit and your router. A wireless repeater will receive your router's wi-fi signal and then amplify it and rebroadcast it. A wireless repeater is akin to a bridge as it bridges the signal distance gap.

5) Also check your router to see what channel it is trasmitting on. Often if you have a lot of other wireless routers in your area and if some or a number of them happen to be using the same wireless channel as your router then they'll sort of step on each other's toes. So what you can do is change the wireless transmit channel. One neat utility that I like to use for this purpose is called "inSSIDer"

Hopefully some of these tips help, but once again it is my opinion that if you can find a means to run a cable, do it. You'll have less to worry about.

allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2013, 01:26:27 PM

Also, bear in mind that what you are being instructed to do isn't definitively "the answer". If you move the Avalon to a different network, your settings may or may not work, depending on the way that particular network has been set up. allinvain has given you typical instructions for a regular household network, but not every regular household network gets set up in the typical way! So, be prepared for a possible change to all of this stuff again!

Yep, you do have a valid point. Then again he did not provide that much info to work with. He did not say what network he is currently using (ie 192.168.1.x or 192.168.0.x)

The key is for him to change the Avalon's IP address information to fit into his existing network.

Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 02:13:59 PM

Yep, you do have a valid point. Then again he did not provide that much info to work with. He did not say what network he is currently using (ie 192.168.1.x or 192.168.0.x)

The key is for him to change the Avalon's IP address information to fit into his existing network.

Don't get me wrong, he's asking for a fairly wide ranging networking tutorial (whether he realises beforehand or not) and you've done a comprehensive job of explaining to him, I was just chipping in my bit  Wink

Vires in numeris
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 02:23:35 PM

To be honest, troubleshooting wireless reliability and intermittent connectivity issues is quite a bitch. Usually the first thing you'd want to look at is the quality of your router.  Cheap routers usually have weak radios and poor performing antennas. The other culprit is of course physical obstacles. Does your house have plaster walls? If so this will affect the strength of the wireless signal. Where you place your router and also where you locate the wireless clients (wireless devices) also matters.

If you absolutely must have it connected wirelessly then there are several things you can do:

1) Get a better router. A router that supports the 802.11n wireless standard is the idea. Also if the router has multiple antennas as is typical with the MIMO capable routers then that's even better.

2) If your router supports it remove it's antenna and swap it with a more sensitive one, but typically this has limited effectiveness as often it's not the router's receive sensitivity that is the issue. In some custom router firmwares you can modify the power at which the router's radios transmit at. Most likely if you're using a off-the-shelf router then this is not possible unless you want to mess around with flashing it with a custom firmware like dd-wrt, openwrt, tomato, etc.

3) Install a bigger and more sensitive antenna on your avalon miner. I'm not sure what the dBi rating is for the one it comes with but if you wanted to go all crazy on the wireless setup you can get one of those super sensitive 20 dBi parabolic dish antennas. Kind of extreme though.

4) Another option is to install a wireless repeater half way in between the avalon unit and your router. A wireless repeater will receive your router's wi-fi signal and then amplify it and rebroadcast it. A wireless repeater is akin to a bridge as it bridges the signal distance gap.

5) Also check your router to see what channel it is trasmitting on. Often if you have a lot of other wireless routers in your area and if some or a number of them happen to be using the same wireless channel as your router then they'll sort of step on each other's toes. So what you can do is change the wireless transmit channel. One neat utility that I like to use for this purpose is called "inSSIDer"

Hopefully some of these tips help, but once again it is my opinion that if you can find a means to run a cable, do it. You'll have less to worry about.

this is a great point.  just yesterday i received my brand new high speed Tomato router in the mail in preparation for this.
ProfMac
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 03:08:28 PM

I am in a 100 year old house with plaster walls, and a cistern.  Wireless won't propagate through the wall, even if the two antennas are only a foot apart.

I try to be respectful and informed.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 03:14:03 PM

I checked out the avalon page out of curiosity and found that they now charge a good chunk of money. 72.63BTC, that would be $5374,62 per 63GH/s.
Do you think it makes sense to order an asic from the third batch for that price? I mean its open when one will have a machine at home running and you dont know whats the competition at that time. Asicminer Shares are at a high price too now, so it will take time to break even when buying new shares. So what do you think how many days or weeks will one have to mine with an avalon from the third batch until break even? And when do you think will those machines be at home?

Nobody knows. There's way too many factors at play. If you feel it is too risky then join a group buy to minimize the risk. I personally think batch #3 will arrive before BFL ships. And if that ends up being the case batch #3 users should still make good ROI.

Thanks for suggestion. I now bought one batch 3 85GH and put 4BTC into the groupbuy. Im empty on bitcoins now... until wednesday when asicminer pays... Smiley

I see why you dont trust BFL. On March 15th they wrote they will test tomorrow and ship out then. Even though i think they put too much effort in it to be scammer (i heard they pay back money if someone doesnt want to wait anymore) it looks they cant make it. I really wonder how far they are in reality. I hope my big investment plays out. When i get the machine the difficulty and the competition will be high. And i wonder if i should search a way to get cheap power. I mean this machine would cost me $200 a month for power. Depending on the future this will be a factor.

Many people are speculating on shipments, network difficulty etc, and although I didn't initially ever think I'd be in the mining game, I too am awaiting a Batch 3 shipment (85Gh/s + PSU). Since you can't order them anymore (sold out), I put up 50% of mine for auction here in case anyone wants to throw some change at it and limit their exposure. I started the bidding at 0.5 BTC per 1% of profit and it's already past 1 BTC in just a few hours, so I think the evidence is there that people believe having an only-ASIC market means not being a part of an ASIC buy will leave you in the cold. Well, not actual cold; those GPUs are very nice for heating a room!

allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2013, 11:09:46 PM

I am in a 100 year old house with plaster walls, and a cistern.  Wireless won't propagate through the wall, even if the two antennas are only a foot apart.

Ouch. I feel your pain. I too am in a house with a similar age (a tad bit older actually) but I was lucky that a lot of the walls were renovated and they're now drywall based which is way way better. I guess one solution would be to run ethernet along the baseboard. It's fairly stealthy if done right.

To cheer you up, be thankful you're not living in a Faraday cage! Smiley

ewibit
Legendary

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 02:28:30 PM

thx
I have the TP-Link TL-MR3420 with latest firmware from TP-Link and I will try in next time openwrt to see if it is better...
I do not know if there is any option that TL-MR3420 is repeatenly (like cron job) checking for a connected device or how often this will be...
the router supports the 802.11n wireless standard and has 2 antennas.
allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 03:21:31 AM

thx
I have the TP-Link TL-MR3420 with latest firmware from TP-Link and I will try in next time openwrt to see if it is better...
I do not know if there is any option that TL-MR3420 is repeatenly (like cron job) checking for a connected device or how often this will be...

I very much doubt it will have cron job support, but hopefully with it being a newer spec router it might be more reliable. Look into doing a wireless survey to see what channels are currently the most used (and therefore congested) in your area and change the router and your wireless client(s) to use the least occupied/congested channel. This will ensure greater signal stability.

Let us know how the new router goes.

Good luck!

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 04:33:23 AM

thx

I very much doubt it will have cron job support, but hopefully with it being a newer spec router it might be more reliable. Look into doing a wireless survey to see what channels are currently the most used (and therefore congested) in your area and change the router and your wireless client(s) to use the least occupied/congested channel. This will ensure greater signal stability.

Let us know how the new router goes.

Good luck!

today i just got a new Asus Tomato router and noticed that my wireless signal quality to my gpu miners and server was down around 36-49.  any ideas how to raise that up?  boosting the transmission power didn't do anything.
ewibit
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 11:28:12 AM
Last edit: April 05, 2013, 11:41:04 AM by ewibit

in the meantime I don't think its a router problem
today when I came to Avalon location I have seen the blue led (which means all ok)
but the hashrate was ~760 MH

much getworks and not much accepted  Huh
I was able to log in and reboot without any problem...
libertybuck

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 12:20:47 PM

much getworks and not much accepted  Huh
I was able to log in and reboot without any problem...

Maybe you need to try pools with Stratum mining protocol supported.

ewibit
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 12:38:09 PM

Maybe you need to try pools with Stratum mining protocol supported.
the pools I choose are all with Stratum mining protocol supported
rudrigorc2
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 12:47:45 PM

try Slush mining.bitcoin.cz  or ozco.in
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 ... 221 »
  Print  

Jump to: