Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:57:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 [117] 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 ... 442 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [DVC]DevCoin - Official Thread - Moderated  (Read 1058399 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
smeagol
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 08:39:08 PM

Can we add tx messages to the client?  I don't think that will be able to be exploited.  (At least, it hasn't been yet)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cryptopi

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

Want some pi with that?

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 01:31:38 AM

Quick question:
Normally the files which keep track of word count are updated regularly (every day, usually). However, the file for round 30 (http://d.evco.in/charity/devtome_earnings_29.csv) has not been updated since the 14th of November. This might be a really ignorant question, but how can I see how many words I have written (where is there an updated file/is there one)?

Thanks

www.hosterbox.com - really good web hosting (accepts bitcoins)
(disclaimer - I am not affiliated with hosterbox in any way)
smeagol
Legendary

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 01:37:16 AM

Quick question:
Normally the files which keep track of word count are updated regularly (every day, usually). However, the file for round 30 (http://d.evco.in/charity/devtome_earnings_29.csv) has not been updated since the 14th of November. This might be a really ignorant question, but how can I see how many words I have written (where is there an updated file/is there one)?

Thanks

I think you have to run the devtome.py script yourself.
By the way- How are tradecoins coming along?  Haven't heard about them for quite a while now.
cryptopi

Want some pi with that?

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 01:57:58 AM

Quick question:

Thanks

By the way- How are tradecoins coming along?  Haven't heard about them for quite a while now.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, they are dead due to a lack of mining support.

cryptopi

Want some pi with that?

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 02:50:34 AM

Quick question:

Thanks

Really ignorant question:
I don't know how to run python scripts. Could anyone point me to a tutorial which might tell me how to run the script to see how many words I've written? Additionally, which script is it? Is it devtome.py?

Thanks.

Eddie2013

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 12:53:12 PM

Hi guys,

I have a great idea, i have registerd à website www.giveabithelp.com and i have the idea to make it à charity website were you can support à local organisation somewhere  arround  the world  that needs help, they have to tell for what they want to use it . So people can decide if they want to give them a bit(devcoin) help. The organisation has to show the results and then they can get positive credits from only the donators so other people see it is worth to give them some help. There will not be any big organisations with big buildings and lots of costs between the help people give , so people will give easier because they do not have to pay the bills from the buildings and extra costs.

Do you guys think this would be someting voor Devcoin? And are there any developers that can make this?
And will there be any bountie availeble voor developers ?

I think a website like this could give Devcoin Some real good positive attention. And would help a lot of people.

weisoq

Activity: 720
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 05:23:05 PM
Last edit: December 04, 2013, 12:07:42 AM by weisoq

I don't know how to run python scripts. Could anyone point me to a tutorial which might tell me how to run the script to see how many words I've written? Additionally, which script is it? Is it devtome.py?

Thanks.
I really hope most people don't know how to run python scripts, or I need to stay in more...  

There's a guide here: http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=devcoin#generating_the_files but I just tried (only python novice) and couldn't get it to run. Unless I'm missing something I think there's been some changes to filenames and functions with the recent addition of better vetting and weightings, so somebody will be along who knows more about this stuff to explain/update.
weisoq

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 06:03:03 PM

Hi guys,

I have a great idea, i have registerd à website www.giveabithelp.com and i have the idea to make it à charity website were you can support à local organisation somewhere  arround  the world  that needs help, they have to tell for what they want to use it . So people can decide if they want to give them a bit(devcoin) help. The organisation has to show the results and then they can get positive credits from only the donators so other people see it is worth to give them some help. There will not be any big organisations with big buildings and lots of costs between the help people give , so people will give easier because they do not have to pay the bills from the buildings and extra costs.

Do you guys think this would be someting voor Devcoin? And are there any developers that can make this?
And will there be any bountie availeble voor developers ?

I think a website like this could give Devcoin Some real good positive attention. And would help a lot of people.
Hi. I think this sort of site (not 'charity' though - payment for work/development in dvc) is what people have been proposing recently - with differing opinions over whether to look at that for the future and stick with building on current bounties, projects and sites until market cap and opportunity have grown; OR create something new to just monitor and maintain devcoin bounties; OR also act as a portal to developers proposing rolling open source development/payment for work via devcoin bounties; OR also act as a third party exchange a bit like the previous but where anyone can put up/accept bounties in dvc (i.e. not only through dvc generation) - effectively work for dvc. I don't know what the plan will be, although I do know that athough the objective of revenue generation has been met and is growing for devtome and people are coming up with an increasing number of businesses/investments for dvc there's still work to do on getting a forum sorted and the website prettied etc.

On your point about charities/local organisations, I remember something along those lines has come up at least a couple of times since I've been about. The problem has always centred around actually administering payments, not the concept of worth or bounties etc that were offered. Most organisations have yet to open themselves up to accepting bitcoin, let alone devcoin, so they wouldn't/couldn't accept crypto payment. Assuming that's still the case it means there either has to be a bigger base of crypto acceptance, or a simple and trusted method of apportioning a dvc payment to be switched to fiat at some point in the process for those organisations to use. That's ok, but then does that effectively just create one big dvc/fiat exchange as an intermediary, which sort of defeats the point of paying in dvc and spreading the concept of value with a constant sale of dvc to meet fiat redemption. If, say, I'm just going to take some dvc - switch it to $ - pay it to an organisation in $, at what point if at all has dvc really been involved or made the point of its purpose. Regardless, whatever the end that has to be met at that same point by demand to buy dvc to support the ideas being funded - greater liquidity, buying support and rolling exchange.

There are other issues, like how exactly do you vet an incomplete open-source development or an appeal to assist with need remotely (although you do mention on completion, if organisations could work on that basis), and how many resources would it take (time, people, effort) to do it all? These are problems with solutions, but just making the point that it's not straightforward as everything still has to done on the basis of maintaining demand and support as well as supply and wants.

Just my own thoughts but welcome to the discussion.
Eddie2013

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 07:50:03 PM

Thanks for your reaction and your time, it is a bit hard for me to understand everything you just wrote here, because i normal don,t write english but i think you ment that this Isn,t the time now for a project like this, keep up the good work here guys,
weisoq

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 09:48:38 PM

Thanks for your reaction and your time, it is a bit hard for me to understand everything you just wrote here, because i normal don,t write english but i think you ment that this Isn,t the time now for a project like this, keep up the good work here guys,
Nederlands? Sorry ik kan geen nederlands spreken meer...

The project: A shorter answer - I don't know, my thoughts are just one opinion. I'm somebody who would like e-money/cryptocurrencies to become a real alternative to state money and power. I think to achieve that will take time and experiment and learning to balance supply and demand with real economies (I mean for all currencies not just devcoin).

Your idea may be part of that but I think it might require more steps to get there, because like it or not most people don't give to charity for free. So it would need a reason to work. If you can think of ways to make it work then discuss them and if it's a good idea somebody will do it - devcoin or otherwise - like most good ideas.
Dinkleberg

Activity: 21

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 10:29:16 PM

Hello to who ever this should be for i have be trying to use the Devcoin faucet but
it seems like its not working its staying stuck in one round for a long time and when it
finally changes to another round the Devcoins are not being added to my wallet just giving
out that info so a admin can take a look at it thank you have a good night. Devcoins for life!!  Cool

Right now it says they don't have enough donations to pay out. There's about 270 submitters which they'll pay out once they have the necessary donations, this might be the problem
smeagol
Legendary

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 11:33:49 PM

Thanks.
I really hope most people don't know how to run python scripts, or I need to stay in more... 

There's a guide here: http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=devcoin#generating_the_files but I just tried (only python novice) and couldn't get it to run. Unless I'm missing something I think there's been some changes to filenames and functions with the recent addition of better vetting and weightings, so somebody will be along who knows more about his stuff to explain/update.

I'm not sure but I think you have to download everything in Unthinkingbit's charity repo, put it in a folder, and run the target script.
notabot

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 01:32:37 AM

According to http://coinmarketcap.com/ devcoin has increased from the 22nd largest market cap to the 19th largest market cap, at $2,879,152 and with an increase of 18.88% in the last 24 hours.

smeagol
Legendary

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 02:05:38 AM
Last edit: December 04, 2013, 02:16:59 AM by smeagol

According to http://coinmarketcap.com/ devcoin has increased from the 22nd largest market cap to the 19th largest market cap, at $2,879,152 and with an increase of 18.88% in the last 24 hours.

Awesome!   Smiley  If I may I would like to propose a bounty for an open-source toy.  Since the market cap is over 1,000,000, the toy bounty can now be funded.  http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=devcoin_bounty#capitalization_1_000_000_usd  The toy's design would have to be public in order to get the bounty.

Also, if there are no objections:
Quote from: Devtome
48 shares for a devcoin animation at least 3 minutes long.

Here's my animation.  It's 3:05 and covers most of the main devcoin stuff.  I'm open to suggestions, so check it out!  Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbXBHYpFULo

The bounty will be paid out tomorrow.  I am working on changing the music, so don't worry!  Smiley
psybits
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 03:17:31 AM

Devcoin Press Release is out: http://bitcoinprbuzz.com/devcoin-dvc-experiences-value-increase-of-over-300-in-two-weeks-the-ethical-merge-mined-bitcoin-alternative/

It'll be on Wall Street Journal, Yahoo Finance etc shortly!
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 06:03:55 AM

Devcoin Press Release is out: http://bitcoinprbuzz.com/devcoin-dvc-experiences-value-increase-of-over-300-in-two-weeks-the-ethical-merge-mined-bitcoin-alternative/

Solid writeup!! I think if we are intending non geeky ppl to read it we need to identify some of the terms with explanations and outside links and sources to info.. I proof read and made my comments with (** and closed my comment with **) please see below:

In 2011 the unique digital currency Devcoin was launched; an ethically inspired open source project based on the Bitcoin protocol, with the unique mission of funding open source projects created by programmers, hardware developers, writers, musicians, painters, graphic artists and filmmakers worldwide. When the market cap(**Talk about how traditional market cap is different than crypto currency and that the caps are growing fast because it is emerging market**) of Devcoin reaches a certain point, a significant reward will be offered for the development of an open source spacecraft. Devcoin is one of the longest running blockchain based digital currencies(**What does this mean? what is a blockchain digital currency?<link>?**), which means the currency’s network itself is well established and has proven itself to be robust and reliable(**How? Talk about the connection between network hashrate and security of transactions <link>?**). The main difference between Devcoin and Bitcoin is that Devcoin is merge mined(merge-mined) with Bitcoin(**how many merge-mined coins are there? talk about piggy-backing bitcoins security with connection to information above**); Bitcoin miners can mine Devcoin and Bitcoin simultaneously, essentially earning “free coins” for supporting the Devcoin network.

In the last month, Devcoin has risen in value from 0.00000014 per BTC to 0.00000053 per BTC(**Maybe talk about price in mBTC not BTC, hard to read all those zero's, maybe mention what mBTC means and use it below**). Each block of DVC yields 50 000 Devcoin (**What is a block? <link>**) – so Devcoin is often traded in lots of 1 000 0000 or more: 1 000 000 DVC(**mention the mBTC thing here instead of saying 1 million dvc**) has increased in value over 300% from $145 USD to $548.90 USD(**price in mBTC?**) in the space of two weeks. Devcoin’s market capitalization is currently $3 239 000 USD. (**Talk about the need for crypto currencies to standardize over mBTC in the future because of the argument that the value of a bitcoin will be too high so phsycologically we will want to use mBTC instead of BTC values, maybe provide a link to the discussion somewhere on bitcointalk.org, talk about how Devcoin already solved this issue by starting off with 1000x the block size of bitcoin**)

Being an established alternative digital currency( **To bitcoin, acts more like a partner rather than a competitor **), Devcoin has a healthy and growing ecosystem with over 15 merchants and exchanges supporting DVC. Books, precious metals, jewellery, computer hardware, hard cash, press releases, writing services, lotto tickets, digital currency investments and much more can all be purchased with DVC. Online merchants worldwide can easily accept DVC as a payment method by using CoinPayments, for integrated Devcoin payment at checkout and invoicing in DVC. The popular digital currency exchange platforms Vircurex and Crypto-Trade both support Devcoin and Bitcoin trading, while Cryptsy offers a Devcoin to Litecoin currency pair.(**Talk about how earning devcoins is the only ways to work to earn crypto currencies right now, including bitcoin. Only way to acquire any kind of crypto currency without fiat is to work for Devcoins**)

At the current market cap, significant bounties payable in Devcoin are being offered for an open source aircraft (a hot air ballon which is at least 3 metres in diameter), medicine, fortified food, a boardgame, and a new open source toy. When the market capitalization of Devcoin reaches a certain point, a massive bounty will be offered for the development of an open source 1 seater spacecraft which can exit and enter the Earth’s atmosphere. Digital currency enthusiasts who are also passionate about easier access to space for all of humanity, can support this cause in a practical way by supporting Devcoin.

Anyone worldwide who wants to work and produce open source material can earn Devcoins: writers can sign up to Devtome(**<link>**), Devcoin’s open source wiki and be paid in DVC for their work. Devcoin is also currently reaching out to open source developers in IT, engineering, arts, sciences and humanities who wish to receive Devcoins for their work. Anyone, anywhere can apply for funding by joining the bitcointalk forums(**Online chat forum bitcointalk.org <link>**) or contacting projects@devcoin.org(**through e-mail**). Devcoin ensures that no one on the planet who wants to work needs be completely out of money: anyone who does good work will get some Devcoins. In this way Devcoin levels the playing field for anyone worldwide to earn digital currency and participate in this erupting space.

With its unique paradigm changing mission, its network integrity through being one of the first and most established Bitcoin alternatives, and its recent 300% value increase: Devcoin is a wise choice for investors, enthusiasts, open source developers and visionaries worldwide looking to engage with the explosive digital currency space(**add something about how they can be early adopters**). As the emerging digital currency industry continues to experience a break out, Devcoin is better positioned than ever to begin delivering in an even bigger way on its unique and world-changing mission.

For the technically minded here are the Devcoin (DVC) protocol details:

Similar to Bitcoin, Devcoin uses the SHA-256 cryptographic algorithm
    10 minutes block target.
    50 000 DVC per block reward, to ensure there is no deflation this block reward never decreases. 5000 DVC goes to miners (who can merge mine DVC for free when they are mining Bitcoin), and 45 000 DVC goes to the open source developers and projects on the receiver files.

(**Network strength coming from thousands of specialized asic hardware distributed through the world, puts it in a positon of being one of the strongest and most secure crypto-currencies next to bitcoin)..this might make them think this is the next best thing!**
psybits
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 06:13:14 AM

Solid writeup!! I think if we are intending non geeky ppl to read it we need to identify some of the terms with explanations and outside links and sources to info.. I proof read and made my comments with (** and closed my comment with **) please see below:

In 2011 the unique digital currency Devcoin was launched; an ethically inspired open source project based on the Bitcoin protocol, with the unique mission of funding open source projects created by programmers, hardware developers, writers, musicians, painters, graphic artists and filmmakers worldwide. When the market cap(**Talk about how traditional market cap is different than crypto currency and that the caps are growing fast because it is emerging market**) of Devcoin reaches a certain point, a significant reward will be offered for the development of an open source spacecraft. Devcoin is one of the longest running blockchain based digital currencies(**What does this mean? what is a blockchain digital currency?<link>?**), which means the currency’s network itself is well established and has proven itself to be robust and reliable(**How? Talk about the connection between network hashrate and security of transactions <link>?**). The main difference between Devcoin and Bitcoin is that Devcoin is merge mined(merge-mined) with Bitcoin(**how many merge-mined coins are there? talk about piggy-backing bitcoins security with connection to information above**); Bitcoin miners can mine Devcoin and Bitcoin simultaneously, essentially earning “free coins” for supporting the Devcoin network.

In the last month, Devcoin has risen in value from 0.00000014 per BTC to 0.00000053 per BTC(**Maybe talk about price in mBTC not BTC, hard to read all those zero's, maybe mention what mBTC means and use it below**). Each block of DVC yields 50 000 Devcoin (**What is a block? <link>**) – so Devcoin is often traded in lots of 1 000 0000 or more: 1 000 000 DVC(**mention the mBTC thing here instead of saying 1 million dvc**) has increased in value over 300% from $145 USD to $548.90 USD(**price in mBTC?**) in the space of two weeks. Devcoin’s market capitalization is currently $3 239 000 USD. (**Talk about the need for crypto currencies to standardize over mBTC in the future because of the argument that the value of a bitcoin will be too high so phsycologically we will want to use mBTC instead of BTC values, maybe provide a link to the discussion somewhere on bitcointalk.org, talk about how Devcoin already solved this issue by starting off with 1000x the block size of bitcoin**)

Being an established alternative digital currency( **To bitcoin, acts more like a partner rather than a competitor **), Devcoin has a healthy and growing ecosystem with over 15 merchants and exchanges supporting DVC. Books, precious metals, jewellery, computer hardware, hard cash, press releases, writing services, lotto tickets, digital currency investments and much more can all be purchased with DVC. Online merchants worldwide can easily accept DVC as a payment method by using CoinPayments, for integrated Devcoin payment at checkout and invoicing in DVC. The popular digital currency exchange platforms Vircurex and Crypto-Trade both support Devcoin and Bitcoin trading, while Cryptsy offers a Devcoin to Litecoin currency pair.(**Talk about how earning devcoins is the only ways to work to earn crypto currencies right now, including bitcoin. Only way to acquire any kind of crypto currency without fiat is to work for Devcoins**)

At the current market cap, significant bounties payable in Devcoin are being offered for an open source aircraft (a hot air ballon which is at least 3 metres in diameter), medicine, fortified food, a boardgame, and a new open source toy. When the market capitalization of Devcoin reaches a certain point, a massive bounty will be offered for the development of an open source 1 seater spacecraft which can exit and enter the Earth’s atmosphere. Digital currency enthusiasts who are also passionate about easier access to space for all of humanity, can support this cause in a practical way by supporting Devcoin.

Anyone worldwide who wants to work and produce open source material can earn Devcoins: writers can sign up to Devtome(**<link>**), Devcoin’s open source wiki and be paid in DVC for their work. Devcoin is also currently reaching out to open source developers in IT, engineering, arts, sciences and humanities who wish to receive Devcoins for their work. Anyone, anywhere can apply for funding by joining the bitcointalk forums(**Online chat forum bitcointalk.org <link>**) or contacting projects@devcoin.org(**through e-mail**). Devcoin ensures that no one on the planet who wants to work needs be completely out of money: anyone who does good work will get some Devcoins. In this way Devcoin levels the playing field for anyone worldwide to earn digital currency and participate in this erupting space.

With its unique paradigm changing mission, its network integrity through being one of the first and most established Bitcoin alternatives, and its recent 300% value increase: Devcoin is a wise choice for investors, enthusiasts, open source developers and visionaries worldwide looking to engage with the explosive digital currency space(**add something about how they can be early adopters**). As the emerging digital currency industry continues to experience a break out, Devcoin is better positioned than ever to begin delivering in an even bigger way on its unique and world-changing mission.

For the technically minded here are the Devcoin (DVC) protocol details:

Similar to Bitcoin, Devcoin uses the SHA-256 cryptographic algorithm
    10 minutes block target.
    50 000 DVC per block reward, to ensure there is no deflation this block reward never decreases. 5000 DVC goes to miners (who can merge mine DVC for free when they are mining Bitcoin), and 45 000 DVC goes to the open source developers and projects on the receiver files.

(**Network strength coming from thousands of specialized asic hardware distributed through the world, puts it in a positon of being one of the strongest and most secure crypto-currencies next to bitcoin)..this might make them think this is the next best thing!**

Thank you for the suggestions.

Obviously one needs to strike a balance between conveying information - but not going too in depth as Press Releases should not be too long and contain too much new information at once! Thanks again for the suggestions though.

Some of these points can definitely be emphasized in future releases - please PM me the above and any other suggestions you may have Smiley
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 07:11:09 AM

Long-shot, but in early 2012 I mined about one million devcoins at pool.devcoin.org, any chance in hell I can get them back?

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
Eddie2013

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 08:47:56 AM

Nederlands? Sorry ik kan geen nederlands spreken meer...

The project: A shorter answer - I don't know, my thoughts are just one opinion. I'm somebody who would like e-money/cryptocurrencies to become a real alternative to state money and power. I think to achieve that will take time and experiment and learning to balance supply and demand with real economies (I mean for all currencies not just devcoin).

Your idea may be part of that but I think it might require more steps to get there, because like it or not most people don't give to charity for free. So it would need a reason to work. If you can think of ways to make it work then discuss them and if it's a good idea somebody will do it - devcoin or otherwise - like most good ideas.

Ik begrijp het nu :-)

Thanks for you second answer, thats a bit better for me to understand, do you have dutch roots? Because you Saïd you don,t speek dutch any more, or was that Google translate :-)
Dinkleberg

Activity: 21

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 08:57:18 AM

Great article man!
Pages: « 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 [117] 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 ... 442 »
  Print  

Jump to: