Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:01:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 ... 329 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Merit & new rank requirements  (Read 166606 times)
Thirdspace

Activity: 1232
Merit: 738

Mixing reinvented for your privacy | chipmixer.com

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 06:30:20 PM

Basically I do not give a fuck about merit. It does not affect me in any way. I am registered since 2012 and still full member only. I do not care about user ranks, why should anybody anyway? There are no posting restrictions, so stop complaining.
A few regular users who only care about discussing bitcoin related stuff would agree with you.
the rest, who care about attaining higher rank will cry about it
because it hinders them from joining sig campaigns, bounties and other making money opportunities

It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Kavallo

Activity: 395
Merit: 129

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 06:31:22 PM

Just like with beggars on the street, I would be willing to give to a beggar that’s creative. I would give this guy $10.

Of course, a creative beggar is providing a service which should be rewarded. However, I'm afraid 10$ would solve only a few micron of that beggar's problem Smiley
So should we open a CREATIVE MERIT BEGGING thread? Wink
That would open the way to a whole new ecology of merit-rewarding games and competitions, even though I am afraid that the true spirit of the reform could get *slightly* twisted in the process...

That’s probably the most positive thing someone has said in this thread yet. It would be interesting to see an off-topic thread devoted to games and competitions that paid in merit. Creative begging could pull beggars from other sections of the forum and let them go nuts in off-topic without being banned. LOL

I'm happy you've appreciated it.
But if this is allegedly "the most positive thing someone has said in this thread yet", why did I not receive any single merit by anyone? I'm afraid that begging will really become a much better way of receiving merits than just doing your good sincere posts. That's because there are so many form of begging - direct ones, indirect ones, implicit ones, suggested ones, and I won't mention butt-licking - hooops... I did it. It's true that this new merit criteria will probably slow down spam, but in the best case scenario it will also push most people who are not legendary yet to conformism and thus to express only opinions which are likely to get rewarded with merit.

Maybe, but there are people that don’t like conformity and will give you merit. I think like minded people will support each other by giving each other merit. That’s the same problem the Reddit karma system has. It doesn’t foster good debates it forms cliques. I’ve seen groups of the same people move into a thread on reddit and crush someone that has a different view from their own. This system may actually curtail spam and abuse or it may force people into little groups that form into larger beasts by increasing the like minded membership in their clique. Only time will tell.

I have never liked the human attitude of forming "cliques" for whatever reason. I find it somehow a quite sub-human feature, a heritage of the cavemen we've been for hundreds of thousands of years and that in many cases we still are, alas. I had hoped to be able to escape that stuff online in general and on Bitcointalk in particular, but it seems that one way or another wherever you go you always end up surrounded by people aggregating in cliques hostile to each others ...
technerd

Activity: 84
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 06:32:55 PM
Merited by YuTü.Co.in (10)

I have a long list of reasons why i detest this new system:

1. It DOES NOT IN ANY WAY REDUCE SPAMMING, it only changes the game to hustling, begging and trading the so called shit merit
2. I already foresee these so called merits becoming some high value market commodity...i hear people are already buying and selling the damned thing! Well, I for one do not have a dime to give to anyone in the name of trying to rank up.
3. What happens to true lovers of the community like me who have been ranking up through honest and detailed as well as informative posts all this while? Suddenly that motivation has gone out the window.
4. It has officially killed the ability of anyone to genuinely rank up cos even if one deserves to be 'merited', no one is willing to give them out freely.

In summary, MERIT SUCKS AND THIS DECISION SHOULD BE REVERSED TO PRESERVE THIS COMMUNITY from going into half communism, half capitalism mode.

There!! I just posted a very long non spammy write up but thanks to the new system, it doesn't count for dust!  Sad

I completely agree with this (but sorry, would love to send you some merits though as you can see, I dont have any to send your way).

One of those who can be negatively impacted will be those who are true interested in coins. I for one visit the different threads because I have a genuine interests in those coins. Now with this merit system, I may never move up in ranking unless someone notices my posts and sees value in my posts. This is subjective and can also be subjected to chance.

Just sad that these distractions have hindered genuine people from focusing on the main reason for visiting this forum.

ImHash

Activity: 924
Merit: 506

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 06:41:07 PM

See how Lutpin got more than 500 merits in a single day and on a single topic, How many of you already posted your week's required posts to be eligible for payment? Visit services How many edited posts could you find? all of which are the same viruses reserving spots as soon as a new signature campaign is posted. Who needs merits if you could join a signature campaign with 20 already farmed sr/full member accounts? Do you see any signs of shame on the faces of these illiterate sh*tposters? Don't be an asshole like Trump.
If you want a real fix, Try to force a signature to last for 3 month, If you're wearing a signature even removing it would still enter your signature in to a cool down period for 3 month. Make people think twice before joining any sh*tty campaign, When they see that wearing a signature sticks with you for 3 month, They would never join crap ICO's bounties to find a good paying campaign in a meanwhile. Limiting noobs is not the way whilst there are a million registered accounts ready for battle Cheesy
Members like Lutpin as mentioned already are good, Will contribute and get rewarded, Someone who doesn't know how to spell receive and says recive/revice is sh*tposting in parallel to the good posters.
Would you stop posting that awful picture please? Or maybe as high ranking members you think that you're above the rules? NSFW
YuTü.Co.in

Activity: 728
Merit: 350

Re-monetizing YouTubers via Crypto-commodities

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2018, 06:45:30 PM

1. It DOES NOT IN ANY WAY REDUCE SPAMMING, it only changes the game to hustling, begging and trading the so called shit merit
2. I already foresee these so called merits becoming some high value market commodity...i hear people are already buying and selling the damned thing! Well, I for one do not have a dime to give to anyone in the name of trying to rank up.
3. What happens to true lovers of the community like me who have been ranking up through honest and detailed as well as informative posts all this while? Suddenly that motivation has gone out the window.
4. It has officially killed the ability of anyone to genuinely rank up cos even if one deserves to be 'merited', no one is willing to give them out freely.

In summary, MERIT SUCKS AND THIS DECISION SHOULD BE REVERSED TO PRESERVE THIS COMMUNITY from going into half communism, half capitalism mode.

There!! I just posted a very long non spammy write up but thanks to the new system, it doesn't count for dust!  Sad

I completely agree with this (but sorry, would love to send you some merits though as you can see, I dont have any to send your way).

One of those who can be negatively impacted will be those who are true interested in coins. I for one visit the different threads because I have a genuine interests in those coins. Now with this merit system, I may never move up in ranking unless someone notices my posts and sees value in my posts. This is subjective and can also be subjected to chance.

Just sad that these distractions have hindered genuine people from focusing on the main reason for visiting this forum.

+10 sM

Disregarding this aside, how's that (above horizontal line) for a quality post in the spirit of cleaning up the place? <yes, 10 sM was sent to the user quoted>

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 06:48:36 PM

Just like with beggars on the street, I would be willing to give to a beggar that’s creative. I would give this guy $10.

Of course, a creative beggar is providing a service which should be rewarded. However, I'm afraid 10$ would solve only a few micron of that beggar's problem Smiley
So should we open a CREATIVE MERIT BEGGING thread? Wink
That would open the way to a whole new ecology of merit-rewarding games and competitions, even though I am afraid that the true spirit of the reform could get *slightly* twisted in the process...

That’s probably the most positive thing someone has said in this thread yet. It would be interesting to see an off-topic thread devoted to games and competitions that paid in merit. Creative begging could pull beggars from other sections of the forum and let them go nuts in off-topic without being banned. LOL

I'm happy you've appreciated it.
But if this is allegedly "the most positive thing someone has said in this thread yet", why did I not receive any single merit by anyone? I'm afraid that begging will really become a much better way of receiving merits than just doing your good sincere posts. That's because there are so many form of begging - direct ones, indirect ones, implicit ones, suggested ones, and I won't mention butt-licking - hooops... I did it. It's true that this new merit criteria will probably slow down spam, but in the best case scenario it will also push most people who are not legendary yet to conformism and thus to express only opinions which are likely to get rewarded with merit.

Maybe, but there are people that don’t like conformity and will give you merit. I think like minded people will support each other by giving each other merit. That’s the same problem the Reddit karma system has. It doesn’t foster good debates it forms cliques. I’ve seen groups of the same people move into a thread on reddit and crush someone that has a different view from their own. This system may actually curtail spam and abuse or it may force people into little groups that form into larger beasts by increasing the like minded membership in their clique. Only time will tell.

I have never liked the human attitude of forming "cliques" for whatever reason. I find it somehow a quite sub-human feature, a heritage of the cavemen we've been for hundreds of thousands of years and that in many cases we still are, alas. I had hoped to be able to escape that stuff online in general and on Bitcointalk in particular, but it seems that one way or another wherever you go you always end up surrounded by people aggregating in cliques hostile to each others ...

I’m hoping (and helping) it will not become that way.

suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2018, 06:48:53 PM

How does the merit system prevent you form visiting threads and expressing interest in coins?

I don't like such complex merit system, i feel most people wouldn't be able to rank up hereafter.

I know members will start calling me like butthurt, shit etc, this system will effect future ico projects also which are really the source of INTEREST and INCOME to Bitcointalk Members as well as  BUTHURT sub moderators and Campaign Managers who never understand how important ico projects are for this community.
They are all time opened their mouth waiting for someone to pour a piece of beg into their mouth but they still denounce icos.

Admin Theymos should think hundred times about future of your forum before applying these merit system to members.

I doubt you will loose advertisement offers too in near future when nobody will be able to rank up, though ico project developrs would not keep their interest spreading their news in this forum and they will then prefer to move to alternate ads platforms.

One can only hope. ICO cancer can't die soon enough.
adotrulez

Activity: 168
Merit: 14

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 06:49:53 PM

LOL, how about I send you some and you send them back to me?

You can see why although this forum likes to paint the image of a free society it in essence, will never be. One minute I am working really hard, with honest and informative posts to help contribute meaningfully as well as grow my rank so I can earn more by participating in bounties of projects I feel are truly legit and have something to offer to the cryptospace, the next minute I wake up to this new, lame and unnecessary paradigm shift in our beloved forum.

All this does is place more power and riches in the hands of those high ranking members we look up to but cos they have earned their ranks by working hard here over time, and decrease or even destroy completely the ability of new comers to grow.

Afterall, we were all once newbies and many of us never spammed, trolled or created dummy accounts to rank up.

I hope Theymos and the other admins Reverse this rule for the hardworking, honest and sincere demographic.
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2018, 07:27:13 PM
Merited by _Miracle (5), vlom (1)

I really, really, really dislike popularity-based metrics and voting, more so on a site like this where there are so many people with networks of anonymous accounts, and even more so when its grandfathered in. I remember when another forum I was a high contributor on added essentially the same thing, and I had 10,000s of posts and 0 of it. My guides combined have millions of page views, but I will receive nothing from them. Additionally, I would be penalized for not reposting the same guide every 120 days, which seems to go against the stated intentions.

rehydrogenated

Activity: 266
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 07:29:06 PM

Merit is a new system where older users can withhold merit from younger users so they can't rank up and earn all the bounties!
CryptoChanel

Activity: 102
Merit: 12

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 07:36:38 PM

Well, you see? Someone has noticed your post, you've got 10 merits in one shot and now you are fit to become a Member in no time, as soon as your activity is 60. I think this system could work for low ranking members, but only for them. When you join the forum it will take you two months or so to achieve the activity necessary to become a Member. In these two months you just need to get 10 merits - which should not be impossible, or even difficult, for someone who makes decent posts.
The problem rises afterwards, when you need hundreds of merits to climb further in rank. My guess is that that will be an impossible mission, given the scarcity of sMerits. In the rules will stay like this on the long run it will thus become a Forum of Members only - with a little elite of people with higher and mostly frozen ranks.

▰   SEMUX   -   An innovative high-performance blockchain platform   ▰
■▬▬▬▬▬      Powered by Semux BFT consensus algorithm      ▬▬▬▬▬■
Github   -   Discord   -   Twitter   -   Telegram   -   Get Free Airdrop Now!
vlom
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1113

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 07:42:28 PM

Merit is a new system where older users can withhold merit from younger users so they can't rank up and earn all the bounties!

i don't think that this is what merit is introduced for.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2018, 07:42:56 PM
Merited by TMAN (3), CrazyCraig (1)

Here is a handy reference for those confused by the Merit system.

• 1 Merit  =  Like (AKA Agree)
  • 2 Merit  =  Upvote
  • 4 Merit  =  Upvote twice (you know you've always wanted this feature)
  • 20 Merit  = Bitcointalk Gold

/Merit whoring

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
TMAN
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1808

Exchange Bitcoin quickly-https://blockchain.com.do

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2018, 07:44:34 PM
Merited by scott btc (1)

Here is a handy reference for those confused by the Merit system.

• 1 Merit  =  Like (AKA Agree)
  • 2 Merit  =  Upvote
  • 4 Merit  =  Upvote twice (you know you've always wanted this feature)
  • 20 Merit  = Bitcointalk Gold

/Merit whoring

I gave you 3 mate just to mess with your head a little..

great idea though, but it not quite as clear cut as loads of people didn't get as many as us!

████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀████████
██████▀▄██▀▀▄▄ ████▄▀██████
█████ ███ ████ ▀▀████ █████
████ █████ ███▀▀▀▄████ ████
████ ███▀▀▀▄▄▄████████ ████
████ ██▄▄▀▀███████▀▄▄█ ████
█████ █████ █▀██▀▄███ █████
██████▄▀███▀▄█▀▄███▀▄██████
████████▄▄▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▄▄████████
██████████▀▄███████████████
.FORTUNEJACK   JOIN INVINCIBLE JACKMATE AND WIN......10 BTC........
██████▀▀▀       ▀▀▀██████
█████  ▄▄▄█████▄▄▄  █████
█████  █████ █████  █████
█████  ██▄     ▄██  █████
█████  ████   ████  █████
█████▄  ██▄▄█▄▄██  ▄█████
██████▄  ███████  ▄██████
███████▄   ▀▀▀   ▄███████
██████████▄▄ ▄▄██████████
felixfortunato

Activity: 6
Merit: 5

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 07:50:26 PM
Merited by KWH (2), QuestionAuthority (1), TMAN (1)

I don't think so, just look at this thread, a lot of higher rank members are already giving merits to lower rank members. This new method is not about hoarding bounties, this is about preserving the quality of the forum. There are a lot of forums in the internet that are already using the merit system in terms of likes and upvotes and so far it's been helping improve the quality of their forums.
TMAN
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2018, 07:53:18 PM

I don't think so, just look at this thread, a lot of higher rank members are already giving merits to lower rank members. This new method is not about hoarding bounties, this is about preserving the quality of the forum. There are a lot of forums in the internet that are already using the merit system in terms of likes and upvotes and so far it's been helping improve the quality of their forums.

you get yourself another merit... you got 2 in quick time, why?? cos you have the right attitude and your posts read well. now add some substance moving forwards and you will fly up the levels.

djangocoin

Activity: 474
Merit: 285

Brave New World

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 07:54:10 PM

Not sure you can say that at this stage though.. just because a trickle of new users in this thread (maybe 10% or so) are getting merit doesn't mean it's working. A lot are getting merit just because they are complaining that they don't have any merit and that it's unfair lol.

Out there in the wild: it may turn out that new users seldom get any merit at all.

:]
Aleator

Activity: 616
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2018, 07:54:33 PM

it's hard to believe this but not i'm near from sr to hero member, but the rules is rules you should accept it, so just do it.
i need read more about this update, thanks for info

TMAN
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2018, 07:55:57 PM

Not sure you can say that at this stage though.. just because a trickle of new users in this thread (maybe 10% or so) are getting merit doesn't mean it's working. A lot are getting merit just because they are complaining that they don't have any merit and that it's unfair lol.

Out there in the wild: it may turn out that new users seldom get any merit at all.

Check this young account out..

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2828014.0

right attitude, quality post.. lots of merit from lots of people.. it is working fella

Lutpin
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1874

Goodbye, Z.

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2018, 08:02:26 PM

I've suggested a system to introduce "negative merit" through a light/limited way in another thread discussing deMerit/antiMerit.
The essentials of the idea are that terminators can delete merit ratings and thus prevent farming or abuse, maybe not fully, but at least some of it.
The full details of my suggestion can be found over here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2827699.msg28992369#msg28992369

▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀████▄
████▀██████▀█▀██████▀████
▐█████▄███████████████▄█████▌
▐███████▄▄█████████▄▄███████▌
▐██████▀█████████████▀██████▌
▐███████████████████████████▌
▀██████████████████████▀
▀████▄████▄▀▀▄████▄████▀
▀███████▀███▀███████▀
▀▀█████████████▀▀
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
   ███████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
███████

▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
            ██                          ▄▄▄▄▄▄                           ██
           ██  ██████                ▄██████████▄     ████████████████████▀
          ██  ████████             ▄████▀   ▀████▄    ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
         ██  ████  ████           ████▀       ▀██▀    ████
        ██  ████    ████        ▄███▀                 ████

██  ████      ████       ███▀                  ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
      ██  ████        ████      ███                   ██████████████
     ██  ████          ████     ███▄                  ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

██  ████████████████████    ▀████                 ████
   ██  ██████████████████████    ▀████▄        ▄██▄   ████

██  ████                ████     ▀████▄   ▄████▀    ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██  ████                  ████      ▀██████████▀     ████████████████████▄
  ██                                    ▀▀▀▀▀▀                           ██
   ▀█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀
Pages: « 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 ... 329 »
  Print  

Jump to: