Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:38:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 ... 329 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Merit & new rank requirements  (Read 166606 times)
MadZ

Activity: 908
Merit: 657

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 03:36:19 AM

I decided that the previous allocation was too unfair in this area, so everyone with activity >= 775 got 500 more merit if they didn't already have 1000 merit (and also Lutpin). No extra sMerit, though.

Any chance you could extend this to those of us with potential activity >=775 Cheesy Legendary just got a lot lot further after this update...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mithrim

Activity: 434
Merit: 436

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 03:38:36 AM
Last edit: January 27, 2018, 04:15:13 AM by mithrim
Merited by DarkStar_ (1), ibminer (1), YuTü.Co.in (1)

Well, while I appreciate the effort of improving the quality, I wonder if those changes are based on research or the pious wish that this will work. It doesn't matter how you call it, every form of ranking systems that are based on user-rating incentivizes trading and any kind of cheating whether by paying people making it a requirement in an airdrop etc.
Making it a commodity is a joke, sorry. It reeks of greed, an elite making their accounts even more valuable.

Another question: Why is the initial merit score equal to the minimum required to your rank? Why not proportionally to the actual activity?
Hope this will work, but I doubt it. Newbies will be disregarded and won't get merit, while known members will give themselves merit back and forth...

You should run for president!!! This is the best thing I have read on this thread all damn day!!!

Even if my grammar is horrible in this post, it's what I think. I mean, there is absolutely no reason to make the rank dependant on merit. Merit could've been an extra indicator for an account, like trust. Something like 'post quality' with a second ranking system. That way everybody could have started at 0 Merit. That would've been fair and everybody would've been equal. To assume that a Hero or Legendary Member always creates valuable posts is just nonsense. But that is basically what the conversion did.

Let's assume an average user posts 100 posts with 30% low-quality, 60% medium-quality and 10% high-quality posts, then he maybe gets merit for 15% of his posts. Now you need to take into account that the actual number of merit points highly depends on where he posts (how many are reading the post) and whose opinion he shares. This means at leas 7 merit per valuable post is needed.
The best example is this post https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2828014.0 where many gave merit points. But ask yourself, is this a valuable post? It took time to make it, sure, but what makes it valuable. It purely reflects an opinion. It doesn't discriminate or list pros and cons, there is no contrast. It tells the supporters of this new system what they want to hear and of course, they merited it, ridiculously high if I might add.
There are hundreds of posts in this forum that have more value than this post, I wonder if all of them get 61+ merit.

The same post, advocating for the exact opposite or a different solution, wouldn't have gotten nearly the same amount of merit. Because even if there was an equal amount of people who don't support the system, they wouldn't have used said system.

So now it's basically finding topics that Hero/Legendary Members support or like because they are the ones who have the most merit to give and the more you have of something, the easier it is for you to part with a small amount of it.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not against a system that improves the posting quality, I'm merely hinting at some of the flaws this implementation has  Smiley
YuTü.Co.in

Activity: 728
Merit: 350

Re-monetizing YouTubers via Crypto-commodities

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2018, 03:51:49 AM
Merited by mithrim (1)

Well, while I appreciate the effort of improving the quality, I wonder if those changes are based on research or the pious wish that this will work. It doesn't matter how you call it, every form of ranking systems that are based on user-rating incentivizes trading and any kind of cheating whether by paying people making it a requirement in an airdrop etc.
Making it a commodity is a joke, sorry. It reeks of greed, an elite making their accounts even more valuable.

Another question: Why is the initial merit score equal to the minimum required to your rank? Why not proportionally to the actual activity?
Hope this will work, but I doubt it. Newbies will be disregarded and won't get merit, while known members will give themselves merit back and forth...

You should run for president!!! This is the best thing I have read on this thread all damn day!!!

Even if my grammar is horrible in this post, it's what I think. I mean, there is absolutely no reason to make the rank dependant on merit. Merit could've been an extra indicator for an account, like trust. Something like 'post quality' with a second ranking system. That way everybody could have started at 0 Merit. That would've been fair and everybody would've been equal. To assume that a Hero or Legendary Member always create valuable posts is just nonsense. But that is basically what the conversion did.

Let's assume an average user posts 100 posts with 30% low-quality, 60% medium-quality and 10% high-quality posts, then he maybe gets merit for 15% of his posts. Now you need to take into account that the actual number of merit points highly depends on where he posts (how many are reading the post) and whose opinion he shares. The best example is this post https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2828014.0 where many gave merit points. But ask yourself, is this a valuable post? It took time to make it, sure, but what makes it valuable. It purely reflects an opinion. It doesn't discriminate or list pros and cons, there is no contrast. It tells the supporters of this new system what they want to hear and of course, they merit it, ridiculously high if I might add.
There are hundreds of posts in this forum that have more value than this post, I wonder if all of them get 61+ merit.

The same post, advocating for the exact opposite or a different solution, wouldn't have gotten nearly the same amount of merit. Because even if there was an equal amount of people who don't support the system, they wouldn't have used said system.

So now it's basically finding topics that Hero/Legendary Members support or like because they are the ones who have the most merit to give and the more you have of something, the easier it is for you to part with a small amount of it.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not against a system that improves the posting quality, I'm merely hinting at some of the flaws this implementation has  Smiley

Your grammar is not that bad, bud. As far as the example post you offered up not warranting sM, I'm betting that the rewards were based on the entire thread and its creation, not JUST for the OP of said thread.

In case you missed it, I +1 sM your post because that's the type of guy I'm.

mithrim

Activity: 434
Merit: 436

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 04:11:57 AM

Your grammar is not that bad, bud. As far as the example post you offered up not warranting sM, I'm betting that the rewards were based on the entire thread and its creation, not JUST for the OP of said thread.

Yea, it is bad, but thanks for the nice words Cheesy

I'm not saying that the post doesn't warrant merit but 61 is just ludicrous. I'm pretty sure that this is all just this post, not the thread because you can sum up the merit points listed and they equal the total merit points of that member and it's just noise and sugarcoating. I'm not jealous if that's what you think, I'm just pointing out that this system is flawed. Truth is, I applaud this member, he/she did everything right and made the best out of this new situation.

There you go, I'm also not stingy Wink
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2018, 04:13:35 AM

Hero/Legendary members have more sMerits just in this initial airdrop. We already spent 20k+ of the 600k sMerits, so it will be gone before too long. Your own example shows a Jr. Member getting 30 sMerits. Sucking up to Hero/Legendary members is probably not such a good long-term strategy.
baileym

Activity: 36
Merit: 3

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 04:34:50 AM

What if we ignored the activity level and used the merit alone for ranking purposes?

Give everyone merit equal to their current activity.  Which solves the problem of those who were close to ranking up.
Posting would not be done just to meet minimum requirements to rank up.  Which would cut down on the crap or unnecessary posts.

Thoughts?
OWZ1337

Activity: 140
Merit: 17

BITCOIN===>THE DISRUPTIVE CYBERCURRENCY

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 04:41:02 AM
Merited by CjMapope (2)

i gave my first spendable meritcoin to satoshi! :-D ~he deserves it!!

I am not a Financial Analyst, Investment Broker, Financial Adviser, Crypto-Guru or any sort of professional that would be deemed trustworthy! Wink weee™
vanillalatte

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 04:57:05 AM

You have to earn it through other members. Otherwise, this merit system wouldn't do what it's suppose to do as several members would be able to bypass the merit system by just waiting long enough.
athanz88

Activity: 476
Merit: 359

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 05:03:15 AM

What if we ignored the activity level and used the merit alone for ranking purposes?

Give everyone merit equal to their current activity.  Which solves the problem of those who were close to ranking up.
Posting would not be done just to meet minimum requirements to rank up.  Which would cut down on the crap or unnecessary posts.

Thoughts?

I guess it is not a good idea. Because merits can be obtained spontaneously if people decide to spam their merits on you, and in a day you will be a legendary member if that happens. If your idea is to be applied, it could destroy rank system if that happens.

I guess, If you re a person worthy of higher ranks, I guess you will and can make a great post, then will get merits. When you have enough merits, it is just matter of time for your activity to catch up to the upper rank requirement, and it is worth the wait.
baileym

Activity: 36
Merit: 3

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 05:19:39 AM

Give everyone merit equal to their current activity.  Which solves the problem of those who were close to ranking up.
Posting would not be done just to meet minimum requirements to rank up.  Which would cut down on the crap or unnecessary posts.

Thoughts?

I guess it is not a good idea. Because merits can be obtained spontaneously if people decide to spam their merits on you, and in a day you will be a legendary member if that happens. If your idea is to be applied, it could destroy rank system if that happens.

I guess, If you re a person worthy of higher ranks, I guess you will and can make a great post, then will get merits. When you have enough merits, it is just matter of time for your activity to catch up to the upper rank requirement, and it is worth the wait.

True.  The time factor is connected to the activity which needs to stay.  Guess I didn't think it through far enough.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3050

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2018, 05:25:22 AM
Merited by YuTü.Co.in (1)

And he +1ed you back.  That's the reason you announced it, right?

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
YuTü.Co.in

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2018, 05:37:34 AM

And he +1ed you back.  That's the reason you announced it, right?

Dude, I don't want the sonabitch back. Here: +1 sM  Tongue Tongue Tongue

Actually, I didn't check the timelines as to when sM was sent or received. I'm just doling them out as I feel. Wait, is that even allowed? I suggest there should be a litmus test AND a psychological evaluation given to users prior to entrusting them with sM. For that matter, the same for the person who's dolin' them out to the dolers - STARTING AT THE TOP.  Grin

Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3050

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2018, 05:40:15 AM
Merited by SM23031997 (1)

Actually, I didn't check the timelines as to when sM was sent or received. I'm just doling them out as I feel. Wait, is that even allowed? I suggest there should be a litmus test AND a psychological evaluation given to users prior to entrusting them with sM. For that matter, the same for the person who's dolin' them out to the dolers - STARTING AT THE TOP.  Grin

I just don't want everyone to start announcing when they leave sM.  The only reason to do that is the hope of reciprocation.    Undecided

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
SM23031997

Activity: 1092
Merit: 582

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 05:45:41 AM

I just don't want everyone to start announcing when they leave sM.  The only reason to do that is the hope of reciprocation.    Undecided
Why people would leave me for reciprocation? What? WTF? Why everyone is talking about me today? Can't you guys stop posting about me?  Cheesy Cheesy

and that +1 is for that signature you have.
MrLitex

Activity: 546
Merit: 110

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 05:49:39 AM

In local board a sad problem. Many users with high rank (Legendary - Hero) send their sMerit into the void (for example, send sMerit theymos-satoshi or other inactive users with old messages), thereby leading sMerit out of circulation.

Example:

Original message:
вoт жaль чтo мoжнo тoлькo 50 мepитoв мoжнo oтпpaвить xoтeл вce мepиты oтпpaвить тeймocy a пoлyчилocь тoлькo 50  ( дpyзьям я oтпpaвлял пo 20 )  coвeтyю вceм лeгeндapи cдeлaть тoжe caмoe oтпpaвить вce мepиты eмy

Translate:
it's a pity that you can only send 50 merits you want to send all merits send theymosand it turned out only 50 (friends I sent to 20) I advise all the legendaries to do the same thing to send all merits to him

tambenile

Activity: 64
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 06:15:00 AM

In local board a sad problem. Many users with high rank (Legendary - Hero) send their sMerit into the void (for example, send sMerit theymos-satoshi or other inactive users with old messages), thereby leading sMerit out of circulation.

Example:

Original message:
вoт жaль чтo мoжнo тoлькo 50 мepитoв мoжнo oтпpaвить xoтeл вce мepиты oтпpaвить тeймocy a пoлyчилocь тoлькo 50  ( дpyзьям я oтпpaвлял пo 20 )  coвeтyю вceм лeгeндapи cдeлaть тoжe caмoe oтпpaвить вce мepиты eмy

Translate:
it's a pity that you can only send 50 merits you want to send all merits send theymosand it turned out only 50 (friends I sent to 20) I advise all the legendaries to do the same thing to send all merits to him
Welcome to the "Legendaries and Friends Age".
krishnaverma

Activity: 1274
Merit: 106

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 06:18:47 AM

Welcome to the "Legendaries and Friends Age".

Why are you all ignoring the merits given by these Legendaries to new members. The purpose of merit system is to reward quality posts, it does not matter whether it is from a legendary member or a newbie.
YuTü.Co.in

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2018, 06:32:10 AM
Merited by iCEBREAKER (1)

Mr. King of the Hill hasn't logged in for years, yet ...

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=merit;u=3

What next! Sending the dude bitcoin to his unused wallet addresses? Oh, wait! We've already did that to the tune of ~U$.250M atop the original reward of over half a million dollars: https://blockchain.info/address/1A1zP1eP5QGefi2DMPTfTL5SLmv7DivfNa

FWIW, at least I discovered on my own what sM are really good for ...

... Memes!  Grin Grin Grin

Flying Hellfish
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1750

Verified Bernie Bro - Feel The Bern!

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 06:49:05 AM
Merited by actmyname (1)

I haven't seen it mentioned or requested.  Would it be of interest to anyone to have some kind of indication of topics/threads with lots of merited posts/points awarded in them?  Something similar to the hot topic, very hot topic indicators in the left columns of the topic pages?  Maybe highlight one of the pages with different colours for different levels of merited posts or points awarded in the topic?  

If it wasn't to hard to implement it might be cool to be able to see threads that people feel are merit worthy! If I saw a thread with lots of merited posts/points awarded I might be inclined to check it out instead of blowing it off.
Serious475

Activity: 574
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 06:50:38 AM

This new "merit system" is good to improve the posts of the members in this forum. But I don't like this because what if someone creates a good, quality post and didn't get any merits at all?  The one who has many merits will be benefited because they can earn money from this. Is there any moderator who will secure that the one who merited is worthy? This system will give more negative impact than a positive impact in this forum. I wish this system should be changed or fix because it is not fair to some members.
Pages: « 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 ... 329 »
  Print  

Jump to: