Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:46:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 [283] 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Merit & new rank requirements  (Read 166635 times)
Eirecoin

Activity: 210
Merit: 101

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
December 04, 2018, 05:11:59 AM

I have an idea. What if there are merit sources only for threads and only merit sources only for posts?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
stelee68

Activity: 684
Merit: 19

View Profile
December 04, 2018, 07:53:12 AM

I have an idea. What if there are merit sources only for threads and only merit sources only for posts?

So.. your idea is to award different Merits for starting a new thread, and separate merits for replying to a post?...

Kind of remind me of a famous quote:

"What do you call a dog with no legs?"
Answer : Doesn't matter what you call it, because it won't come to you!

Same thing here. Doesn't matter either way, we ain't getting any! lolz...

GenesisP2P Payment Ecosystem  │ GITHUBPOOLSEXPLORERBLOCK TRACKER☑ No ICO/Auction  
Equihash 192.7 ● ─[ Secure & Private Cryptocurrency ]─ ● ────[ ForumFaucetExchangeAirdrops & Bounties ]──── ● ☑ No pre-mine      
 POW/MNs     │SOLUTION FOR BUSINESSES AND E-COMMERCE│           ANNTWITTERDISCORDREDDIT           │ ☑ Fair Launch    

Full/Sr Member:
Code:
Eirecoin

Merit: 101

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
December 05, 2018, 02:29:20 AM

[/quote]

So.. your idea is to award different Merits for starting a new thread, and separate merits for replying to a post?...

Kind of remind me of a famous quote:

"What do you call a dog with no legs?"
Answer : Doesn't matter what you call it, because it won't come to you!

Same thing here. Doesn't matter either way, we ain't getting any! lolz...

[/quote]

haha funny, but it can work tho... But only if we get more merit sources since there are only 119 for the whole bitcointalk forum (+2 million members) You have any ideas?

S_Therapist

Activity: 308
Merit: 277

View Profile
December 05, 2018, 04:22:53 AM

But only if we get more merit sources since there are only 119 for the whole bitcointalk forum (+2 million members) You have any ideas?
There are 2+ million member here but how many are active? If you consider the active members only, isn't 119 merit sources sufficient? Besides, a lot of members are also spending sMerits who are not merit sources. We should consider the circulation of sMerits, not the merit sources.
Currently, sMerits are being poured mainly at meta, bitcoin discussion and local boards. The only board which is not getting enough merit is Altcoin Discussion. Regarding this, I can say this board isn't getting enough merit because the quality of that board is very poor. No real discussion is happening there. People are only participating on that boarrd only for fulfilling the signature requirements. Lots of garbages are being posted daily. Therefore, no one with good intention will spend sMerits there.
I believe the system is working fine and we do have available sources too. We need more sources on some local boards, one may be Indian board.

Exchase
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
CRYPTO EXCHANGE  │  MARGIN TRADING  │  TOKEN LISTING
CRYPTO-WALLET  │  CRYPTO-GAMES  │  CRYPTO LOANS
SOCIAL TRADING  │  P2P EXCHANGE  │  OTC TRADING
MONEY TRANSFER SYSTEM  │  BINARY OPTIONS
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
stelee68

Activity: 684

View Profile
December 05, 2018, 08:18:19 AM
Last edit: December 05, 2018, 09:32:01 AM by stelee68

haha funny, but it can work tho... But only if we get more merit sources since there are only 119 for the whole bitcointalk forum (+2 million members) You have any ideas?
[/quote]

I have already suggested that BCT should abolish the Merit system.

In my opinion, the Merit system was introduced early this year 2018, mainly for the following 3 reasons:
1. Curb the number of spam accounts during the FOMO period;
2. promotes higher quality posts;
3. award and reward the higher ranking members such as Legendary accounts, by giving them the power to distribute Merit points to the lower ranking members.

However, the current market situation has already accomplished point one. We see alot less spam accounts, even regular account holders have left the crypto scene due to the current unfavorable market condition. Those who left includes, and not limited to, Jr members, Members, full members, Heros, and even Legendary Accounts which I saw many were selling at marketplace.

Secondly, Merit system does promotes and rewards those who posted quality stuff. But the argument here isn't about the merits of this Merit system. But rather, who should be allow to "rank-up" base on their Merit points.

Lastly, the third point seems like "re-inventing the wheel" to me. The account holder's rank should suffice to be their credential. Isn't it?

Given the current market sentiments, many BCT members already left and may never come back. And that also includes the Merit source holders, this resulted in less and less Merit points going around. More and more demoralized members whom may never see the light in the "Rank-Up" tunnel. With this vicious cycle, end of BCT's prestigious and glorified days as number 1 go-to forum in crypto world, may also come to pass.

In summary, throughout the history of man-kind, rulers and governments came out with new rulings and laws, but sometimes when these rules become dated and redundant, they were abolished. It is my humble opinion that Ranking up in BCT should simply be based on the number of years the account was created, plus the activity of the said account.

Nothing beats the test of time. Friendship, Love, Loyalty, etc are all subjected to the test. Because Time is the most unbiased and fair tester. Seasons change, people change, and even hairstyles changes..  But yet for those of us who remain in this forum, year after year, BTC crashes after crashes, we're still here, so that means something.

To repeat myself again, this Merit system is dated, redundant (based on the 3 points above) and defeat all its usefulness and purposes.

Kindly consider abolish the Merit system, please.

Thank you.

GenesisP2P Payment Ecosystem  │ GITHUBPOOLSEXPLORERBLOCK TRACKER☑ No ICO/Auction  
Equihash 192.7 ● ─[ Secure & Private Cryptocurrency ]─ ● ────[ ForumFaucetExchangeAirdrops & Bounties ]──── ● ☑ No pre-mine      
 POW/MNs     │SOLUTION FOR BUSINESSES AND E-COMMERCE│           ANNTWITTERDISCORDREDDIT           │ ☑ Fair Launch    

Full/Sr Member:
Code:
Juggy777

Activity: 2646
Merit: 686

View Profile
December 05, 2018, 12:53:00 PM

Would it be possible to add another criteria to the ranking-up system?
If feel that I will be stuck as a Full Member forever.  Cry

The element of time would also help in the ranking system while preventing spam accounts.

From Newbie to Jr Member: 6 months + required activity
From Member to Full Member: 1-year old account + required activity
Full Member to Sr. Member: 2-year old account + required activity
Sr. Member to Hero: 3-year old account + required activity
Hero to Legendary: 4-year old account + required activity

Basically, there will be 2 paths on how an account can rank up:
1. Time and activity
2. Merit system

I hope this suggestion will be considered by the mods. Thank you!  Cool

No this won't be possible what you're asking for is a reversal of all the good things that merit system has done till date, for all your efforts in coming up with this post you just copied the old bitcointalk ranking system what's new in your proposal?.

Again you're wrong you won't be stuck forever, if you make constructive and helpful posts people shall leave you merits, but if you make suggestions like this forget getting merits or ranking up. I would advise you to improve your post quality, make informative and quality posts and the merits will come.
Coinifyx

Activity: 182
Merit: 10

Personal Text

View Profile
December 05, 2018, 02:00:16 PM

Would it be possible to add another criteria to the ranking-up system?
If feel that I will be stuck as a Full Member forever.  Cry

The element of time would also help in the ranking system while preventing spam accounts.

From Newbie to Jr Member: 6 months + required activity
From Member to Full Member: 1-year old account + required activity
Full Member to Sr. Member: 2-year old account + required activity
Sr. Member to Hero: 3-year old account + required activity
Hero to Legendary: 4-year old account + required activity

Basically, there will be 2 paths on how an account can rank up:
1. Time and activity
2. Merit system

I hope this suggestion will be considered by the mods. Thank you!  Cool

No this won't be possible what you're asking for is a reversal of all the good things that merit system has done till date, for all your efforts in coming up with this post you just copied the old bitcointalk ranking system what's new in your proposal?.

Again you're wrong you won't be stuck forever, if you make constructive and helpful posts people shall leave you merits, but if you make suggestions like this forget getting merits or ranking up. I would advise you to improve your post quality, make informative and quality posts and the merits will come.

People are just buying merits from the marketplace, they use alt-accounts to sell them or sell their accounts directly

People will get what they want in a way or another, if you ban drugs you only open a dark market

Nothing to say
asche
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1489

I forgot more than you will ever know.

View Profile
December 05, 2018, 02:05:40 PM

People are just buying merits from the marketplace, they use alt-accounts to sell them or sell their accounts directly

People will get what they want in a way or another, if you ban drugs you only open a dark market

So just don't make any rule?
Because any rule can be broken?

Nice idea.
Coinifyx

Personal Text

View Profile
December 05, 2018, 02:07:07 PM

Nice idea.
You don't ban knives because people can use it to kill each other

Nothing to say
asche
Legendary

View Profile
December 05, 2018, 02:10:48 PM

Nice idea.

What's your point? Because from where I stand you just gave an argument against what you were saying in the first time Cheesy
Coinifyx

Personal Text

View Profile
December 05, 2018, 02:14:17 PM

Nice idea.

What's your point? Because from where I stand you just gave an argument against what you were saying in the first time Cheesy
If you ban knives they will get guns from the dark market, thus, if you make ranking hard or impossible, people will just buy accounts or merits

Indeed the only ones who profited from what admin did were accounts farmers, they received free merits and can now sell overpriced accounts

Nothing to say
asche
Legendary

View Profile
December 05, 2018, 02:16:31 PM

If you ban knives they will get guns from the dark market, thus, if you make ranking hard or impossible, people will just buy accounts or merits

Indeed the only ones who profited from what admin did were accounts farmers, they received free merits and can now sell overpriced accounts

Doing so also makes the amount of people doing so smaller.

Not everyone has money to spend on this.

You can never control everything. The idea is to limit it as much as possible. And this is working pretty well.
Also most account selling occurs on forum and account is tagged which greatly reduces what you can do with it afterwards.
mOgliE
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1251

View Profile
December 05, 2018, 02:18:37 PM

At least I'm glad to see sMerits are being put in good use by the few people who send them !  Cool
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=merit;u=3

It's been only 8 years since his/her/their last activity!

People paying respect to Satoshi is not wasting of merit. Keep in mind that theymos can generate infinite amount of smerit.

It's... A bit strange though...

Am I the only one using merit a bit like a curation system?
I mean there is no "top merited posts" section or whatever but in my opinion the use for merit is to put the focus on important messages that might have been missed while they're providing interesting and sensible informations. And I got the feeling people use it more like a "like" button.

asche
Legendary

View Profile
December 05, 2018, 02:20:21 PM

I mean there is no "top merited posts" section or whatever but in my opinion the use for merit is to put the focus on important messages that might have been missed while they're providing interesting and sensible informations. And I got the feeling people use it more like a "like" button.

There is.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=merit;stats

Scary that you as a legendary aren't aware of it.
Maybe you didn't search?
Hivalley

View Profile
December 05, 2018, 02:38:22 PM

In one way or the other you may be correct,and it's also fact that one single merit isn't so hard to get,whether it's legitimately or otherwise..
But what the system does is to constraint the number of accounts one can farm up either for self use or for sale,definitely we're not striving for perfection,but to make the situation less worse than it was
And those who sell accounts also run a risk of being red tagged..
Either way the system is doing it's best to keep the forum clean
xha-256
Copper Member

Activity: 46
Merit: 30

Self-made member. Sooooon~~

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2018, 06:12:05 PM

Maybe you didn't search?
Maybe he doesn't have a legendary account at all? Oops, maybe he's just not aware of it...

RivAngE

Activity: 728
Merit: 169

What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger

View Profile
December 06, 2018, 09:51:08 AM

It's... A bit strange though...

Am I the only one using merit a bit like a curation system?

Merit system is a perfect system which is used to reward only the most sophisticated and honour-worthy, long and informative posts.
 To be given 5 merits is a great privilege.
 To be given 10 merits is an honour which marks the rest of your life.
 To be given 50, you're a transcendent being (or Satoshi Nakamoto) and your posts cause ecstasy to the readers!

A perfect example of a god-like post with 50 merits: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2375142.msg24228465#msg24228465
mOgliE
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1251

View Profile
December 06, 2018, 10:05:02 AM

Merit system is a perfect system which is used to reward only the most sophisticated and honour-worthy, long and informative posts.
 To be given 5 merits is a great privilege.
 To be given 10 merits is an honour which marks the rest of your life.
 To be given 50, you're a transcendent being (or Satoshi Nakamoto) and your posts cause ecstasy to the readers!

A perfect example of a god-like post with 50 merits: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2375142.msg24228465#msg24228465
Ahahahahah xD

Well here it IS rather obvious ineed.

There is.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=merit;stats

Maybe you didn't search?

Scary as the fact that I'm a legendary just means I'm an old member of the forum not that I'm an omniscient being  Roll Eyes

d5000
Legendary

Activity: 3906
Merit: 6194

Decentralization Maximalist

View Profile
December 06, 2018, 05:37:53 PM

You wrote some valid points in your post. However, some of them can be solved in another way.

However, the current market situation has already accomplished point one. We see alot less spam accounts, even regular account holders have left the crypto scene due to the current unfavorable market condition.
You're of course right, but IMO this was caused not only by market conditions but also by the Merit system. A big part of the spam accounts that left could return if it was "abolished" right away. The spam problem is far from being "solved". There is still lots of signature spamming around.

If the forum was totally (or nearly-free) of spam and full of quality posts again, like ~2012 or so, then I would support your idea to abolish merit - but including a "probation period", if the spam returns then merit should also return.

But rather, who should be allow to "rank-up" base on their Merit points.
Hm? There is no selection other than merit and activity. If you post quality stuff and are active, you will rank up.

Lastly, the third point seems like "re-inventing the wheel" to me. The account holder's rank should suffice to be their credential. Isn't it?
Having created an account a year ago and posted with an automated script once per day would be enough to get at least Sr (if not Hero) status if merit was abolished. So "rank" alone doesn't have any meaning.

Given the current market sentiments, many BCT members already left and may never come back. And that also includes the Merit source holders, this resulted in less and less Merit points going around.
That is easily solvable - the administration should control the "spending" of merit sources and stock up (create more sources and expand the sMerits of existing sources) if the effective numbers of merits spent by sources diminishes.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Agarthian

Activity: 250

View Profile
December 06, 2018, 09:09:07 PM

Thats very interesting... I guess the most important question is.. How do we get merit if no one gives it to us ? Huh
Pages: « 1 ... 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 [283] 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 »
  Print  

Jump to: