Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 01:55:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 [497] 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312396 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
phishead

Activity: 1873
Merit: 840

Keep what's important, and know who's your friend

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2015, 05:31:50 PM
Last edit: October 17, 2015, 06:01:35 PM by phishead

So how about this bull rush for both bitcoin and monero, and the fact that everybody else is tanking it pretty hard?? From what my ticker says on my phone, Monero's up a solid 8% ... nicely done. Any particular reason why xmr isn't tanking it down the tubes along with it's other cryptonote siblings?

What do you mean?  It tanked along with most alts but bounced back a bit yesterday.

Well, from what I could remember seeing... is that XMR was around .38 cents when the price spike of BTC started.  Now it's up to .43 cents in a couple of days. Also, from what everyone else was showing on here, was that during that huge increase in price, all the other cryptonote coins where going down as well.

EDIT: yeah it was in the "State of Monero" thread...

EDIT #2: And it's also found on /r/monero (posted by mWo12)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
newb4now

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 05:44:39 PM

So I was thinking, I don't really need to be putting my signature campaign for bitcoin companies... even though it helps out with getting some extra free xmr, I want to be able to recruit more people to monero on this forum.  So, what is the most visually appealing signature ad I can have as just a member to get people excited about monero?  I feel that there should be a really good visually appealing ad someone should create (because I sure can't) for every ranking to get people excited and come to this thread or the ANN thread.

You can look at the Monero signatures of others in this thread and choose the one you like the best. The type of signature you can have will vary by member rank unfortunately.
phishead

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2015, 05:50:51 PM

So I was thinking, I don't really need to be putting my signature campaign for bitcoin companies... even though it helps out with getting some extra free xmr, I want to be able to recruit more people to monero on this forum.  So, what is the most visually appealing signature ad I can have as just a member to get people excited about monero?  I feel that there should be a really good visually appealing ad someone should create (because I sure can't) for every ranking to get people excited and come to this thread or the ANN thread.

You can look at the Monero signatures of others in this thread and choose the one you like the best. The type of signature you can have will vary by member rank unfortunately.

Ok, I think I'm going to wait until my last payout for this week in for my signature.. then I'll change it to a Monero one.

So, how can I go about copying and pasting a signature that someone has that I like that is able to be displayed by my rank?  I really don't know much about what can or can't be posted, but I would want the most appealing sig I can have.  And I don't think I can just copy and paste someone else's signature, because it doesn't show up when you quote someone.
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 06:17:37 PM

So, what is the most visually appealing signature ad I can have as just a member to get people excited about monero?  I feel that there should be a really good visually appealing ad someone should create (because I sure can't) for every ranking to get people excited and come to this thread or the ANN thread.

Don't take it bad, but this sounds very much like what crapcoins do: focus on the form rather than the content.
I question the effectiveness of your approach in a forum full of competition in terms of shiny bells and whistles.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
phishead

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2015, 06:22:30 PM

So, what is the most visually appealing signature ad I can have as just a member to get people excited about monero?  I feel that there should be a really good visually appealing ad someone should create (because I sure can't) for every ranking to get people excited and come to this thread or the ANN thread.

Don't take it bad, but this sounds very much like what crapcoins do: focus on the form rather than the content.
I question the effectiveness of your approach in a forum full of competition in terms of shiny bells and whistles.

I guess you have a point.. but it was just a thought.  I honestly haven't been "in the game" long enough to know what other shit coins do.  I'm still trying to figure out the best way to get the word out..  I guess I could always just make my own signature with the basic links to monero sites.
wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 06:35:42 PM

I guess you have a point.. but it was just a thought.  I honestly haven't been "in the game" long enough to know what other shit coins do.  I'm still trying to figure out the best way to get the word out..  I guess I could always just make my own signature with the basic links to monero sites.

Use my "why privacy is important" and "why monero" links.

americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 07:18:44 PM

But it would also be a mistake to eschew form and flash entirely.  Remember, it's not always the superior technology that wins if something with better marketing usurps it. 

It should not be a priority, but that doesn't mean that appeal isn't important - after all, cryptocurrency only becomes money if many people desire to own and use it (and many of those people are easily swayed by shallow things).  You just have to be benevolent enough to give them a superior product that also has superior presentation.  This hasn't happened that often in history, but when it has the results have always been overwhelming.

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
8XMR

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 08:09:06 PM

So how about this bull rush for both bitcoin and monero, and the fact that everybody else is tanking it pretty hard?? From what my ticker says on my phone, Monero's up a solid 8% ... nicely done. Any particular reason why xmr isn't tanking it down the tubes along with it's other cryptonote siblings?

What do you mean?  It tanked along with most alts but bounced back a bit yesterday.

I not surprised Monero starting recover from recent low. Much development recently. Bright future ahead.

8xmr.com
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 10:04:36 PM

As is discussed later, too much regulation early on can be absolutely fatal.  We are almost past that danger zone though (bitcoin is well past it), and I think once the under-the-hood work is complete and the GUI is out next year we will finally move past that precipice.

What does a GUI and "under-the-hood" work have to do with regulation unless we are talking about the view key/view amount items?

What work needs to get done to be in "compliance"?

I dont follow...

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

kazuki49

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 10:19:25 PM

As is discussed later, too much regulation early on can be absolutely fatal.  We are almost past that danger zone though (bitcoin is well past it), and I think once the under-the-hood work is complete and the GUI is out next year we will finally move past that precipice.

What does a GUI and "under-the-hood" work have to do with regulation unless we are talking about the view key/view amount items?

I dont follow...

I think the "danger zone" he is referring to is not technical or political but the falling into nothingness (that all things must fall to one day eventually, e.g. end of the universe).
americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 10:50:02 PM

I dont follow...

I suppose I was more alluding to the possibility that a law comes down from above banning Monero, but my guess was that we will have sufficient network effect by the end of 2016 to prevent such a scenario.

But yes, the danger of dropping away to irrelevance is always there if things stagnate for too long. 

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
dnaleor
Legendary

Activity: 1470

Want privacy? Use Monero!

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 11:00:13 PM

Start small, and slowly build.  Don't draw *too* much attention to yourself too quickly, and for fuck's sake keep a low profile.  Once things seem to be going well, take a small risk to grow.  Keep taking these risks and look for key opportune moments to strike at rivals and decimate them completely, absorbing their.... hey, wait.  Are we talking about cryptocurrency or a successful agar.io strategy?  Wink  Cheesy  The universe is full of so many delicious coincidences.  

oh man, I lol'ed  Grin Grin Grin

Maybe that's why I'm always in for a fun round of agar.io (nowadays I visit chopcoin.io Wink )
Never thought about that, but it indeed "feels" the same Cheesy
dnaleor
Legendary

Activity: 1470

Want privacy? Use Monero!

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 11:12:05 PM

12.3.8. "Can a "digital coin" be made?"
      - The answer appears to be "no"
      + Software is infinitely copyable, which means a software
         representation of digital money could be replicated many
         times  
        - this is not to say it could be _spent_ many times,
           depending on the clearing process...but then this is not
           a "coin" in the sense we mean
      - Software is trivially replicable, unlike gold or silver
         coins, or even paper currency. If and when paper currency
         becomes trivially replicable (and color copiers have almost
         gotten there), expect changes in the nature of cash.
         (Speculation: cash will be replaced by smart cards,
         probably not of the anonymous sort we favor.)

Basically they are talking about something I heard a lot by outsiders: that the fact that bitcoin is open source and can be copied, it makes it worthless...

Well, they are talking about altcoins avant la lettre and failed to see that a network effect would mean that one "strain of currency software" would probably produce one big currency network, some insignificant smaller ones and a "tale of shitoins".

=> I don't invest (much) in altcoins that are based on bitcoin codebase (such as LTC, DOGE, PPC, DASH, etc) Chances are very high they become obsolete or at least insignificant because all of their features (if found valuable and secure) can be implemented in BTC.

Monero is different though, because it is a "different strain of currency software". So it can compete directly for the network effect on a global scale.

kazuki49

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 11:12:19 PM

But yes, the danger of dropping away to irrelevance is always there if things stagnate for too long.  

Then I agree with you, Monero is almost past that zone, compared to other altcoins it is well beyond most.
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 11:20:46 PM

I dont follow...

I suppose I was more alluding to the possibility that a law comes down from above banning Monero, but my guess was that we will have sufficient network effect by the end of 2016 to prevent such a scenario.

I see. Thanks for clarifying.

Not sure what law would be put into place by what government that would make monero less desirable.

Perhaps putting a law like that into place can do one of two things (or both):

1. Make people scared of using it because of Government X will slam the hammer on them.

2. Validate that Monero is a danger to the status quo of the financial system and is a safe haven.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 11:22:34 PM

I dont follow...

Not sure what law would be put into place by what government that would make monero less desirable.

1. Make people scared of using it because of Government X will slam the hammer on them.

2. Validate that Monero is a danger to the status quo of the financial system and is a safe haven.

One thing the fuckers could do is forbid any licensed or regulated exchange from allowing trading of any anonymous coins.

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 11:24:45 PM

12.3.8. "Can a "digital coin" be made?"
      - The answer appears to be "no"
      + Software is infinitely copyable, which means a software
         representation of digital money could be replicated many
         times  
        - this is not to say it could be _spent_ many times,
           depending on the clearing process...but then this is not
           a "coin" in the sense we mean
      - Software is trivially replicable, unlike gold or silver
         coins, or even paper currency. If and when paper currency
         becomes trivially replicable (and color copiers have almost
         gotten there), expect changes in the nature of cash.
         (Speculation: cash will be replaced by smart cards,
         probably not of the anonymous sort we favor.)

Basically they are talking about something I heard a lot by outsiders: that the fact that bitcoin is open source and can be copied, it makes it worthless...

Well, they are talking about altcoins avant la lettre and failed to see that a network effect would mean that one "strain of currency software" would probably produce one big currency network, some insignificant smaller ones and a "tale of shitoins".

=> I don't invest (much) in altcoins that are based on bitcoin codebase (such as LTC, DOGE, PPC, DASH, etc) Chances are very high they become obsolete or at least insignificant because all of their features (if found valuable and secure) can be implemented in BTC.

Monero is different though, because it is a "different strain of currency software". So it can compete directly for the network effect on a global scale.

People who use that excuse why bitcoin may not work (due to its ability to be copied and re-released) don't understand essentially how the protocol works and the network effect works.

They simply look at it in the fiat style of printing funny munny which has really no technological function other than to wipe one's ass with and pay for things at the same time.

Reminds me of the video AP posted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95-yZ-31j9A&feature=youtu.be

I think this is a relevant analogy to when people did not understand what email/internet was. They make uneducated comments and years later look foolish.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 11:26:33 PM

I dont follow...

One thing the fuckers could do is forbid any licensed or regulated exchange from allowing trading of any anonymous Privacy-Defaulted (optional transparency) coins.

People could always argue that exchanges can always require users to use mixin of 0 when withdrawing and keep all view keys of exchange and amount keys of that exchange open for public audit for TPTB.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

kazuki49

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 11:28:08 PM

One thing the fuckers could do is forbid any licensed or regulated exchange from allowing trading of any anonymous coins.

This would be funny because it automatically translates to "all coins being traded are certifiable not anonymous" Cheesy
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 11:29:06 PM

Yes I also think it is a "smart" idea to drive all trading to Crypto Kingdom, which is specifically designed for antifragility.

For which reason I don't believe a ban is in the cards.

Their game now is to make people stupider and hate each other. Not so much banning things and enforcing the bans.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
Pages: « 1 ... 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 [497] 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: